Home

The New, Improved One Year Thread: 2006 Edition

edlib

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to have to order from newegg.com more often. I ordered a stick of memory from them yesterday afternoon and it arrived here this morning. And I didn't even choose the overnight shipping option; I'm told they have a warehouse in New Jersey, so even UPS three-day ground gets here overnight. :D

Its very interesting how life's situation changes so much. When I was but a mere toddler, my parents couldn't afford to get me something for my birthday at all. We were downright poor. In the next 18 years, the value of a gift would be around $30. Not that the actual monetary value was important; I always got something pretty neat. I do remember when I turned 12, I got a fly fishing rod and reel. It probably didn't cost more than $45, but it was still good.

But last year, I got a full set of golf clubs, a bag, shoes, and basically everything I needed to go golfing. I never worked out the math on how much it all came out to, but it was a lot. This year I got a $300 check and instructions to "get an ipod" according to the rad Transformers card I got in the mail. On the inside, it says "WITH YOU AND OPTIMUS PRIME WORKING TOGETHER, THIS WILL BE A GREAT DAY" or something, and I was like "Bitchin'!"

Honestly, I have no idea what my dad does for a living, but I wish I was doing it. I concluded whatever it is is a good job when my parents gave me a two day, two night trip to Miami to see a football game. That cost $250+ for tickets...

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/n/b/nbc112/orangebowl/ My trip to Miami! Though it is missing a lot of pictures that had, like, me in them.

04/11/2006 00:48:00 ARRIVAL SCAN HORSHAM, PA, US

04/10/2006 23:15:00 DEPARTURE SCAN SECAUCUS, NJ, US

04/10/2006 22:12:00 LOCATION SCAN SECAUCUS, NJ, US

04/10/2006 17:00:00 ORIGIN SCAN EDISON, NJ, US

wow....might get my ram sometime tomorrow. XD

w007! got it. the extra 512 makes ALOT of difference in Galaxies. XD was able to witness a large-scale battle in theed last night. now i just gotta wait til the end of summer so i can get broadband.

That must have set you back... New or used?

I've always wanted to get my hands on a really killer acoustic like that... but part of me knows it would be a bit wasted on me. All the chops I have are based on an easy-to-play electric with a lot of sustain... hand me an acoustic and it's a pretty pathetic sight. Fumble City. Not pretty at all.

New. The list price was like $2750, but I got it for $2000. That's not so bad, though. I was actually thinking about getting a D-42. The list price for that was $5650, and would have actually cost me $4200. But the thing is, there doesn't really seem to be anything better about the D-42. It has more...bling...on it, which I do not like. It's a slightly different construction, and so it does sound a little different. But even guitars of the same model sound different from one another. It all depends on the exact pieces of wood used to make it and how it was all put together. Really, I don't think any of the high end Martins are significantly better than any of the others. So you just have to go with what sounds good to you.

Personally, I prefer Taylors as far as acoustics go... but my dad has a '60s-era D-35 which is a very nice guitar. He also has a newer Taylor 710, which is a bit easier to play, and sounds a bit better, if you ask me.

I know what you mean about the "bling". I prefer guitars with natural finishes and minimal inlay work to show off as much of the wood as possible. None of that fancy "gingerbread" stuff ever contributes to the tone, so it's superfluous to me.

If I can ever afford custom instruments, I will probably have them made with NO fretboard inlays at all. I love that look.

Recently I've really wanted to get a motorcycle (because of a girl) but I'm so poor :(

Oh you why do you have to cost $13,000 :(

cbr1000rrblackmetallicsilver3o.th.jpg

I should clarify though: I've been pining for a CBR1000RR for years. As proof, I offer this image of my dorm room circa December 2003 when I wanted one in red.

00000858ef.th.jpg

Joe Satriani and Eric Johnson show at our venue last night. I didn't work it, but I went and saw it. Grabbed a folding chair and put it next to one of the follow-spot positions and watched from there.

It was a pretty good show. Loud. A lot of notes. Everything you'd expect from these 2.

I have become so damn jaded when it comes to live music though... 10 or 15 years ago if I had seen this show (ESPECIALLY for FREE!!!) I would have been totally out of my mind.

Instead I found myself almost bored a couple of times... I yawned a few times; and I simply couldn't stop critiquing the production (the sound and lights...) and noticing all the musician's mistakes.

Still, I'm glad I went. That should satisfy my recommended requirement for over-the-top rock guitar instrumentals for a while. Hopefully it inspires me to do some more practicing in the near future.

Joe Satriani has yet to impress me during a live performance. He simply suffers from lack of showmanship. I too have yawned at his performance.

Last time I saw him was during a G3. Yngwie was playing before him and really got the crowd going and everybody was standing and cheering like no tomorrow. Then Yngwie's turn was up and after a few minutes of Satriani, the crowd started to sit down and just calmly listen...

Archived