Home

For those with a live-in Significant Other...

Char Ell

So for those forum members with live-in significant others (e.g. married, boyfriend/girlfriend lives with you) I make the assumption that you spend a good chunk of time, say 10 or more hours/week, playing games on your computer and/or console. My question to you people is: How does your significant other view your "game time?"

Does he/she get annoyed when you play?

Does he/she like games as much or more than you?

Has he/she ever issued you the ultimatum of "the games or me?"

And for those of you whose significant other doesn't care for your gaming hobby (perhaps obsession with some :D), how do you work with/around that?

Depends on what all I do when I'm playing.

Not really. More of a movie person.

Nope.

I'd respond to your last question, but I've been told that as a moderator I'm not allowed to say such things. :(

My question to you people is: How does your significant other view your "game time?"
She views it as something I like to do in my (limited) spare time.

No. I tend to play when she has other things on or has gone to bed, and usually when my daughter is sleeping (I'd rather play with her when she is awake :) ).

She does not care for gaming at all. Just not much interest.

I don't put her in that position. IMO, if it gets to that point where a girlfriend has reached a "games or me" point, then the relationship obviously isn't worth it to you. If the girl you are with isn't more important than games, there is something wrong.

And for those of you whose significant other doesn't care for your gaming hobby (perhaps obsession with some :D), how do you work with/around that?
Those who chose games over people are in danger of dying alone. ;)

Hubby and I both have our own hobbies and respect the time we need to do them, as long as it doesn't interfere over all with family time/life. People are more important than any game. We generally know when to stop playing and return to Real Life before it ever gets to the annoyance level. Then again, we've been married about 15 years and know each other well enough to generally pick up on those signals that one of us is getting a little irritated with the other (or even better, we just tell each other that we need some time to do other things).

I was the one who originally spent more time on the game, but now that he's hooked on Kotor, too, we spend about equal times. We certainly have some interesting conversations on forum topics, too. I have to say, it's very nice to have a hobby you can share with your partner--gives more 'together time' and opportunity for communication.

If someone is at the point in life where they actually say 'the games or me', they need to go get help.

lolz. 10 hours a week isnt much - just over an hour a day Plus, alot of that time on "on the computer" Im also working on stuff for my masters. I havent played any games in a long while, I havent played Guild Wars and NWN literally in months. I might play some NHL or FIFA when mates drop by, but thats it.

Also, alot of the time I am actually on here is at the dead of night, my gf is usually reading or asleep as she has to get up much earlier than me.

My gf likes those puzzle type games, like bejeweled, luxor etc. :p On trips she is the gameboy freak :) (I prefer my psp)

Ive never come to the ultimatum stage, but I do sometimes get teased for having been on SW related forums for so long... and I tend to agree with her :p

Me and my gf do have alot of stuff we share, our main passion being travelling. In about 10 years or so, we will be spending alot of time in SE Asia with my new work, so my compy time will be much reduced :)

mtfbwya

^^^

I never said I had a significant other who didn't like me playing computer games. I simply was curious about other forum members with a gaming hobby and a live-in partner and their partner's take on their gaming habit.

Seems like most of the male friends I have that liked to play computer games when they were single ended up either not playing anymore or were reduced to playing once in a great while when they hooked up with a woman. I've never personally known a woman with a hankering for computer games so I've never seen the roles reversed and I've also never been personally acquainted with any homosexuals that had an interest in computer games. But I figured I would pose my question as openly as possible just because there are obviously some members of these forums who like games and have a live-in significant other and I wanted to know why their partner/spouse was OK with their gaming interest and my friends' wives/girlfriends aren't. Make sense now? :D

Seems like most of the male friends I have that liked to play computer games when they were single ended up either not playing anymore or were reduced to playing once in a great while when they hooked up with a woman.
They probably just found that women are more fun than video games. :)

They probably just found that women are more fun than video games. :)

Yep, we women are way more fun. :D

Hai Wan, no woman wants to compete with an inanimate object like a computer. We like it even less when the computer game being played involves scantily clad women with a chest size that exceeds IQ. If a guy pays more attention to a box of circuits than to the girl he's dating, that sends a pretty clear message to the girl on what he really thinks about the whole relationship. Hubby and I play games as a hobby, but our time with each other vastly outweighs game time. No relationship survives if 2 people don't spend time with each other. There's so much more to life than cool graphics and good fiction.

They probably just found that women are more fun than video games.
How should I say this so as to not get too terribly flamed? :D ummm... for some women that is true, for others... uhhh... not so much. :giveup:

I do have to acknowledge that most of my friends have ended up with women that were worth more than the games they gave up. But a guy could use some R&R time for himself, know what I mean? And these women are opposed to their men playing games at all. I let one of my friends, my brother actually, borrow my XBox and KotOR because he and the fam were going up to a mountain cabin for a 3-day weekend. His woman let him know she was none too pleased with his bringing the game. I warned him beforehand that I didn't think she would approve but he insisted that he could handle it, that he would get free time for himself up there. The guy doesn't own a game console or any games for that matter and the only time he really plays any games is when he stops by my house every once in a while. But she still didn't like his bringing a game on their vacation. It's like there's no allowance for gaming, period, end of story. And that's just one example. I've got plenty more.

Hai Wan, no woman wants to compete with an inanimate object like a computer. We like it even less when the computer game being played involves scantily clad women with a chest size that exceeds IQ.
:animelol: Yeah, I can understand this from women without any problem. If a guy spends more time with games than his woman then he shouldn't be too surprised if she isn't happy about it. But in my circumstance I'm not talking about guys that play games and ignore their women. I guess I've come to the conclusion that my friends have hooked up with women who have no interest in computers or gaming and they knew that going into the relationship. They made their beds and now they just have to lie in them. :twogun:

Those who chose games over people are in danger of dying alone.
Sage words from the mighty Prime! You should add that to your book of "Prime Sez" quotes. ;) Seriously. I think that was a rather insightful statement.

...a guy could use some R&R time for himself, know what I mean? And these women are opposed to their men playing games at all.

I have to say there are much worse hobbies for men to have. To be completely opposed to playing games at all seems harsh to me.

As far as your brother taking the X-box to a mountain cabin, what the heck was he thinking?!? :) You go to the mountains to escape modern technology, not bring it with you (okay, yeah, I was a Boy Scout and I love camping, even in winter). And, besides, if you have a cabin in the mountains, your girl, a nice fire going, are you going to be thinking about battling the Sith? :brow:

I've also never been personally acquainted with any bi*sexuals that had an interest in computer games. But I figured I would pose my question as openly as possible just because there are obviously some members of these forums who like games and have a live-in significant other and I wanted to know why their partner/spouse was OK with their gaming interest

Well I hope I have been some help in that area of your curiosity.

*edited for accuracy

And, besides, if you have a cabin in the mountains, your girl, a nice fire going, are you going to be thinking about battling the Sith? :brow:

Simply because I'm perverse, "She can battle my Sith Lord any time".

Archived