Home

anyone use last.fm?

toms

Was wondering if anyone here was using last.fm to track/share their music habits? I signed up (free) about a month ago and its pretty cool... and i seem to have been seeing mentions of it pop up all over the place recently.

I thought if there were any people here who used it then we could make a lucasforums group.. and i could find out what terrible taste in music the rest of you have ;)

---

For those wondering what the hell i'm talking about: its a kind of del.icio.us style sharing/tagging system for music.

Basically you have a plugin* (audioscrobbler) that tells last.fm every time you play a song.

Then your personal homepage (mine: http://www.last.fm/user/soulgrind/ ) shows what music you listen to. Recent songs, weekly charts and overall charts.

You can click on any song/artist/album and find similar ones, info, links to journal entries about it, and tag it.

After you have listened to enough songs.. and every week thereafter... it generates a list of "neighbours" who listen to similar music to you. And it also give you a list of recommended music from either your friends, groups, or neighbours.

There is a second bit of software called the "last.fm player" that you can use to listen to streaming radio stations of almost everything**. Group radio (such as everything people in the LF group listen to), Neighbour radio, Recomendations Radio, Tag radio (all songs with a specific tag) and soforth.

The only thing you can't do is listen to specific artists/songs (just samples) as their license means they can't repeat songs by the same artist too often.

Anyway, its kinda cool imho. Its where my sig gets generated from each week.

*Plugins for iTunes, winamp and most big music software.

**You have to be a paid subscriber to get some of the more advanced radio stations.

http://www.last.fm/user/OnyxShine

I just started it like a week ago so there isn't anything :p

I don't know if it affects my online gaming / is there an option to keep it off during games?

Should only be active when you are playing music I would have thought... so it wouldn't be a problem.

Usually the plugin has an option to turn reporting off for when you are listening to random stuff you don't want to show up.

I thought I'd seen a few sigs around that looked familar.. but that was before i knew what it was.

Think its worth making a lucasforums group? So we can all listen to the LF soundtrack (a mix of SW themes and black metal?) when browsing? ;)

Well, i'm listening to it as we speak and its quite good... but that might be because a lot of it is from my profile i think (unless you guys listen to the same songs.). So you guys better get listening to throw some more interesting stuff into the mix... ;)

Archived