Home

[FIC] Star wars: Heart of the Guardian

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 8: Defeat to Victory, to a Good Tomorrow

Time seemed to go by in a blur up until the burial of Master Cronus. He himself was an Argonon so they claimed the right to bury him. I was to later find out that he once was a close friend of Michaela’s father. That information came to me through Morrie who, by Grace and the will of the Force, managed to escape that night alive. He suffered a broken arm but was there with me at the burial. Haras was there as well, how he got out of prison, I had no idea.

The ceremony was rather lavish to honor Cronus’ accomplishments. Many came to witness, Argonons and Belosians, mostly from the school. It was a sharp contrast for the boys from the school were dressed in their uniforms while the Argonons seemed to have worn light tunics. I stood apart but visible to everyone and was sporting a cut over my right eye where I got hit with a good punch from an officer. Morrie didn’t look that much better as he was sporting a black eye and a cut. Behind Haras and us were some of the native Belosians who had known Cronus from his days as a Jedi at the enclave.

Closer to the burial, where the coffin was being lowered, were Michaela and her father. She was all right and didn’t physically show any signs of what happened two nights ago. She glanced at me and smiled a reassuring smile. I believe she could sense that I was hurting but I was not admitting it; I felt numb. Her father was tossing handfuls of dirt into the hole with a shaky hand. When he saw me standing there just watching, he lost his self-control and he grabbed the nearest thing, which happened to be a shovel. He was all set to hit me with it but was held back by friends of his. I vaguely remember Haras putting a restraining hand on my shoulder, which I removed promptly. The two of us stood there, looking at each other.

Then off in the distance, a song was being sung. From the fields near the burial, a ways apart, the People were coming. I saw Manda, his wife Miria, Hiros and those that had come to the school at the enclave. There were others too. I realized that Master Cronus had gone and seen the tribes after I had left and made friendships that he had kept the past year. They had all come to sing and honor him, singing a mourning song that reflected their sorrow. I noticed that it was not just the Lordos tribe, but all the tribes within the township. Each was singing the mourning song of their tribe; all extolling what Master Cronus had did in life. It was neither sad nor joyous, but both of the same.

Michaela’s father was moved by the singing, which saved my head from the shovel. He moved back to his place next to Michaela. Then for the first time since arriving, I moved to get a better view of the group. I realized that they were not just singing for Master Cronus but for me, for my bravery in trying to help the People. Even though he had died, to them it was a victory. For the first time, in a long time, I cried.

After the burial, I went back to the enclave to clean up the mess. Among the garbage, I found Master Cronus’ primer book for beginners. I remembered that he would work with a smaller group on basic reading skills. As I glanced about the gardens, I noticed that some of the wild flowers that I used to bring to Tergis were trampled on. I carefully removed them and buried them in the ground to give life to the rest of the gardens. My heart felt heavy.

Master Cronus’ death shattered me like nothing had before except for when my father died. I was defeated; I no longer had the will to resist. I had to tell Manda that I was leaving for Koron. I rode the same beast that I took to Michaela’s home to the township, feeling like a dead weight. This defeat made my body hurt with sadness and despair, the same that I felt after I buried Manzibique. My shou was wounded and it felt as if I was destined to forever be alone, to lose everything. It was at that moment that I felt my master’s presence when he first tried to make me laugh.

My heart had lightened a bit by the time I arrived in the township. Manda greeted me with the traditional tribal greeting. He looked good considering he lost his eye in that exchange at Haras’ training facility. He was happy to see me and eager to show me a surprise. He led me to the center of the township where ceremonies and announcements took place. I was not in the mood to but I knew well enough of the customs of the Lordos tribe and followed him. I was not prepared for the sight that I saw.

All twenty of the teachers that I had instructed were in front of their own class, some children, others were adults all learning. Manda was particularly proud when he led me to where his wife was teaching the children. She was sitting very properly in her chair while a boy was reading to her. She said to me, “Please. Listen.”

The boy began to read a book of poetry, in particular poetry that spoke of freedom. I was familiar with the book having read it as a boy and I had Master Tergis’ copy at my dorp. To hear the boy read a particularly moving piece, I felt slightly recharged but still willing to go through with my decision.

Unable to hold back my pride I said, “It works. It really works. Well done little one.”

Manda then began to talk really quick, full of zeal, “Now we need to work I Pretora and the Cape. We leave in the morning.”

“Manda I can’t.”

“What’s the matter Kirabaros? Tell me is the work wasted? Did Cronus die for nothing? Tell me,” he said softly for he knew I was still hurt.

I thought about his words and the choices that I had made. I saw in my mind that this was just the beginning. I also thought about Master Cronus, Tergis and Michaela. In my heart, I knew what I must do. I replied, “Alright Manda.”

That evening the tribes were having a dance and music. I was invited to partake which I did joyfully. That evening my heart was feeling lighter. Imagine how it flew when Michaela showed up in the township wearing traveling clothes. She said that she decided to do her part in helping all the people. I think she was hurt to mention it and I suspected that it didn’t go well with her father. Still it was a happy time as we all danced and sang the tribal songs. Many of the young girls were trying to have a turn to dance with me because I was the Heart of the Guardian, as their families told them. I willingly danced with them for it was a happy time.

Our happiness was interrupted when we heard a tribesman shouting, “Police! They coming for you J.C.!”

A general cacophony followed as several speeders drove in, positioning to strike. I had grabbed Michaela’s hand and followed Manda to get out when a speeder stopped us. The commander shouted at us, “Halt! You are under arrest for violating the location regulations act!”

I had my eyes locked on Tvark until everyone started to move and I pushed Michaela towards Miria. I went the other way with Manda. Tvark gave chase through the township. We had rounded a corner and stopped to hide in the shadows. A woman and her child who stood in front of us saved us from being found. I heard the screams of terror and I felt the People’s fear. I didn’t want lives to be lost on my account so I spoke to Manda, “Look I can’t let this happen. It’s me that they want.”

“It’s not about you. Giving them what they want won’t help the struggle or us any,” Manda knew that even if I turned myself in, the police would continue the violence against the People. He then pushed me to go, indicating that he was going to get me out by a side route that was rarely used. We were running when we came face to face with Tvark. Before I knew it, Manda had pushed me aside only to get a blaster to the leg.

I don’t remember much through the entire running, seeing death. I did run by some of the police who had been killed by the People. They were fighting back to keep me from being taken, risking their own lives for me. I felt a sudden sense of pride but it was overshadowed by sadness at what I had started by teaching to the few. Later I found out from Manda that he had been trying to find me before the police after seeing Miria away with the children. Somehow Michaela became separated from Miria and was somewhere alone in the township. I was just about to find out where.

I was hiding between the buildings when I heard dull thuds of someone being slammed into a wall. It was Tvark slamming Gulas into the wall of a hut demanding to know where I was. I was hidden and couldn’t see clearly but I heard a woman’s voice say, “Leave him alone!”

Michaela had found Gulas and what was happening. I sensed that she was more afraid than brave and yet she had a bearing I had never sensed before but recognized well. Tvark was telling her he would do as he pleased and called her a traitor to her people. She attempted to grab his pistol away but was given a smack across the face and she fell. Tvark was saying that he was the law and aimed his pistol at Gulas but never pulled the trigger.

After Michaela had been hit, I moved right behind him and gave him a hard shove, allowing him to release the pistol. I said, “Alright Tvark. You’ve caught me. Call them off take me in!”

“I’ll call them off when I’m finished with him,” and he made a move towards Gulas.

“No,” I said and received a punch on the face that knocked me over.

“You, I’ll take you in when your dead, you lowdown schutta,” and he swung but missed as I ducked and landed a punch to the jaw. He gave me a good punch that made me see stars and he took out his standard issue melee blade and tried to run me through with it. I gave a side step bringing my hand to my belt and withdrew the saber I had not drawn for the past year. The blade still glowed a brilliant bronze and I could feel Master Cronus’ long hours of working me through the forms and saber techniques.

Tvark looked a bit shocked. I think he didn’t know I was a Jedi because I kept it so well hidden from everyone. I know Michaela was shocked. Tvark began to swing his melee. Giving myself to the Force and the dance, I moved countering his strikes. As the blades clashed, there were sparks and smoke from the heat of my blade. At one point, he managed to knock my saber from my hand with a deft twist of his blade but I disarmed him. He gave me a kick and then rammed me into the side of a building. He spat blood in my face saying while I was moaning from pain, “Now you little schutta, let’s duel,” and gave me a head butt that would have broke my nose if I hadn’t moved my head to the side.

I was on the ground being kicked by Tvark as he screamed, “You’ll ruin the planet you bastard. You and the Durais sangtahut. Get up!!”

I got to my feet and began to fight with the head then with the heart. I landed a few punches that knocked Tvark out. I went to where Michaela and Gulas were. She was trying to staunch the bleeding from his head and I was tearing bits of my tunic to use as bandages. She didn’t say anything but I felt the need to ask, “How did you find me?”

“I felt that you would need help,” she replied rather low and continued to help Gulas.

I didn’t see Tvark point the blaster at me; I felt it happen. With a summoning of the Force, my blade flew to my hand and I ignited it. With one hand I pushed Michaela and Gulas down and with the other, I threw the blade till it lodged itself square in Tvark’s chest, killing him. The blade returned to my hand and I shut it off. Manda had seen the entire thing and was looking at me with the same look that he had the night we had dueled. Michaela began to sob because she was scared.

Without a thought, I pulled her to me and began to hug and kiss her. She responded, “You, you saved me. A Jedi.”

“I would die for you,” I said. We just continued to kiss, our love for each other bonding us together that would last all our lives.

The buildings in the township burned and lasted till morning when they were nothing more than smoldering ruins. Manda, Michaela and I hid in the bush and began to make our way towards Pretora. Michaela knew that she could never go back and Manda began to immediately teach her the language of the tribes and we just talked. We waited for the speeders with the police to pass us before getting on the road. The morning sun was just beautiful as it rose, giving strength to life on the plains. It gave a ray of hope as we walked towards our future.

Walking, I remember something Elias once told me, that if I listened I would hear the voices of my life. I listened and heard Tergis talk about justice. I heard Zoran talk about hope. I heard Inkosi Kanji, the old medicine man talk about courage. I heard Master Cronus. These are the voices of my life, the voices of Mikkado. I carry them with me as the three of us set out together to help bring our planet closer to a good tomorrow.

As Book One has ended, the second one will begin. Book Two will begin soon so wait and see, what young J.C was meant to be.

A general peace has gripped the heart of the Avalonian system. Mikkado rejoices and sings for a new and good tomorrow.

Three years after the Heart of the Guardian brought equality for his people on Mikkado, a general yet uneasy peace came across the Avalonian system. The segregation policies were being terminated and the old and ancient code of honor was being restored. A time of chivalry now became the unspoken law of the system. The people of the cities never gave it a name but the tribes of Avalon called it ‘Bushida.’ The tribes attributed this new peace to their one friend, the chosen Heart of the Guardian.

This story begins in the fortress of Sigara where two Jedi Knights were trying to negotiate a peace between the kataran herders and the warriors occupying the plains of Cyrus near the southern border of the Takashi Forest.

Chapter 1: Negotiations

“You know I need that land to train my troops. They need to be ready.”

I was listening to the same argument that I had heard many times before from the warlord Sigara and it was always about the same thing, the kataran herders. Three years after starting a literary revolution to free the tribes of Mikkado from their ignorance and the segregation instituted by the Argonons. Apparently, word got around through the same osmosis that seems to affect the tribes when a major event was going to take place and the Lord Governor heard of what was going on and decided to institute reform. It has taken the better part of three years but every step taken was one step closer to equality for all and I had my wife by my side.

After we left Mikkado, Michaela and I got married by a healer of the Zherron tribe, the oldest on the planet Avalon. After the events in the township, I decided to train her as a Jedi. I had no authority from the Jedi Council but I had been out of contact with them for over a year and I had a nagging feeling that something was going to happen. Even after becoming a member of the Zherron tribe, I still felt like a shadow was chasing me, and no matter what I did, it always was two steps behind me.

I pushed this familiar feeling aside as my wife and I were listening to Sigara. Sigara was like a Mandalorian, a warrior, heart and soul. His estate was located on the plains of Cyrus and the nomadic kataran herders used the same lands to feed their herds, particularly the Bedoans. It was a constant struggle just to keep the two from fighting. After he recited his reasons, I said that I wished to listen to the Sheika of the Bedoans, the leader who led the herds on their seasonal migration. Since he was not due to arrive until tomorrow, Sigara gave us quarters for the night.

Sigara probably thought I was stalling for time but as a Jedi, I prefer to listen to all sides and base a decision or propose an agreement on that. Still Sigara was too polite to contradict me and most of the bravest of the warriors were not anxious to get into a saber duel with me; again, the osmosis of my reputation. He gave us a room overlooking the silver river of the Quioquihoni, the river of life. I spent most of the evening staring out the window, thinking of the job I had ahead of again renegotiating between the two groups. Again that feeling I had was also bothering me.

My wife must have noticed it as well for she asked if I was all right. I didn’t answer at first but then I decided to reply, “I’m just tired.”

“I know. You haven’t been sleeping well. Not since the skirmish on Belos,” and she placed her hand on my shoulder.

The skirmish was between the tribes and a warrior group called the Hunras. They would continue to cause trouble for Belos until four millennia later, long after my time. I hadn’t been sleeping well because I began to have dreams; some were nightmares, of the dark shadows in the back of my mind and of a light falling from the sky. Michaela thought it was because of the skirmish that I had those dreams. In part, that was true.

I was thinking of this when I turned around to face her and I gazed into her brown eyes, the eyes that I fell in love with. I smiled at her and said, “Memories cause dreams. I still dream of my childhood. Dreams pass in time.”

She smiled but I could tell she was not convinced. I had a tendency to forget that she knew me better than I thought. She replied, “I’d rather dream of you, of us, together at our home in the Takashi Forest during the time when the Junlaan blossoms fall. It was so beautiful then.”

I held her close in a gentle embrace and laid my head on top of hers. I gazed off, thinking of those times and trying to see still that shadow behind me. After we embraced, we went to bed. I lay awake for a time thinking and remembering of what happened three years ago. Finally I drifted off to sleep, but it was an uneasy sleep.

It was dark and foggy near the Chinooka River near our village. I was walking along the shores, following something. I don’t know what it was, but it was always there in front of me. It led me to a clearing. There I saw a dire wolf, the most majestic and regal of all the animals in the Takashi Forest. I followed his gaze towards the sky. There I saw a light coming across the sky coming to land in the forest.

Then the scene clouded in front of me. I heard screams and I felt pain and it burned through my body. Through the heat, the smoke and the blood, I saw a shadow. It was a tall one but I could not see the face and yet, it’s presence was familiar…

I awoke with a start but I did not disturb my wife for she was sleeping soundly. I lay awake trying to steady my breathing by using a Jedi calming exercise. I was curious about the flying light but I was not anxious to experience the pain again. It disturbed me that this dream was becoming more persistent. It was the shadow two steps behind me. I decided not to wake my wife so I tried to go back to sleep. It was going to be a long night.

The morning was not that much better though I hid it from my wife. After the morning meal, Sigara, Michaela and I walked out to the fields to greet the Sheika. Naomi Basra was the Sheika of the herders and had been since her husband had died in a spat between Sigara and her tribe. That was the main reason we were here. The two groups were at each other’s throats but Naomi was trying to institute peace. Normally she would have remarried but her position as the Sheika was not secure enough for her to do so she was looked at as an oddity but respected as a leader.

She came up wearing the distinguishing garb of her people with her herder’s stick in her right hand. A tent had been set up for negotiations and we all headed there. Michaela decided to wait outside and make sure nothing happened while we were in discussion. Naomi sat in her spot and right away stated that she was tired of the yearly negotiations and that she wanted her people to be left in peace on the ancestral grazing lands that they walked upon. She gave a clearly poetic speech about how they could share the land. Sigara was rather impressed with her speech and listened. I think he too was tired of this.

After listening to both testimonies I asked what they were willing to agree on. Naomi said that they would keep their herds closest to the river as always and stay away. Sigara was quiet before responding as if he were considering the options. I knew he required time to think for he was known as a brilliant tactician but he never made a move without seeing which of the odds best suited him. This was, I think, part of the reason the Cyrus herders and his warriors fought over the plains. I was waiting and I dropped off to recalling the dream that I had the night before.

It felt different. The pain had come back but more intense, like I was being tortured. I was listening to the screams in my mind when Sigara’s voice brought me back to the present, “Sheika Basra, I tire of our conflict and I wish to end this but not by force.”

Still a little out of it, I forced myself to ask, “What do you propose Sigara?”

Naomi was waiting as well. She told me later that she had hoped he would be the first to ask for peace. She wouldn’t tell me why at first but when the Junlaan blossoms came around, they were celebrating a union. Sigara paused a bit before saying, “I planned on moving my troops to a training facility, away from the plains. Since they will be gone, the herders are free to use the land as they please.”

I asked Naomi, “Is this agreeable?”

She nodded and moved towards the flap. Sigara and I stood up and she bowed to us and I bowed to her out of respect for her title. Sigara looked at me and said, “You really are Kirabaros. You bring the peace,” and he chuckled as he left.

I stood there not knowing what to say. I thought that I could leave the name Kirabaros behind. It was that osmosis effect again at work. I didn’t know this but many of the people in the Avalonian system knew the myth of Kirabaros. I thought back to when it all started with Zoran so long ago when he first explained the myth to me at the enclave. I chuckled as I left the tent. Much to my surprise, Naomi was waiting for me and asked to speak with me. I agreed to walk by the river and allowed her to lead the way.

As we were walking she spoke, “You are troubled, J.C. You mask it well but when Sigara was thinking, it dropped. Something you see perhaps, a dream?”

I stopped and looked at her with a look and I asked her, “How do you know this?”

“The twelve shinbones of the great white kataran say it is so. You are the one. You brought the peace between us.”

“Naomi, it was you both who brought it. I have no magic like they say.”

“You have more power in your presence than you think. Strength of the People in your veins,” and she left to return to the herds.

I was surprised that she was abrupt in her ending. It left me wondering about what she knew. I didn’t say any of it to Michaela as we rode back to our home in the Takashi Forest. We just enjoyed each other’s presence as we went home. Sigara had watched me leave so I didn’t hear what he said but found out much later. He whispered, “You are chosen. I hope you have the strength to sense what is to come to us.” How he knew that, I had no idea and to this day I still haven’t been able to fathom it. It was later all explained to me, but that was years later, four thousand to be exact.

Chapter 2: The Great Feast

Our welcome home was as if we had been gone for years instead of three days. The Zherron tribe, believed that if they welcomed everyone equally then that equality would come back as a blessing tenfold. I guess it worked because the tribes were semi-united and everyone was to be treated equally. Of course they attributed it to me though I’ve tried the better part of the last year to convince them that everyone contributed to the uneasy changes in our system. There were still some difficulties because, as I had learned on Mikkado, that change takes a long time, especially age-old hatreds. Still, our arrival home was met with joy.

The children swamped both Michaela and I and began to gibber in Zherroan questions about the plains and what the katarans looked like. Michaela smiled and responded in Avalonian that she would tell everyone what happened if they would calm down and follow her to our hut. That was the cue that she had a treat for them and they followed her willingly, leaving me to unpack the draigons that we rode. Everyone was waiting quietly as the chieftain approached and gave me the traditional and formal greeting of welcome.

“The gods grace a safe return for you Jacen.”

“The gods grace a welcoming home my lord Trystan.”

“It is good that you have returned. It has brought much joy to the village. See all the smiling faces. How goes our neighbors?”

“The plains will be shared equally again. The Cyrus will come during the season of the rains and honor our tribe for aid in peace.”

“Tonight, we shall feast in your honor; for the preservation of our longstanding friendship,” the chief then led the chant that brought me back memories of that night in Mikkado. He announced to the people, “The Heart of the Guardian, the Sanga, Kirabaros!”

The people responded by crying out, “Kirabaros!”

This was repeated three times and the people dispersed quickly to prepare for the feast. Trystan noticed my feelings of discomfort and asked me to follow him. We walked through the enclave and he stated, “I know you are not comfortable with the myth of Kirabaros. You must understand that the People have seen and heard of what you have done for our brethren on Mikkado. But I sense that something else troubles you.”

I was slightly annoyed with myself for allowing myself to be transparent to anyone and I nodded and said, “The dreamtime has invaded my night thoughts. They are disturbing yet uncertain.”

“Perhaps you should seek out the lore master and medicine man.”

“It is probably a vision from the Force.”

“I don’t understand fully what you call the Force but the dreamtime you have must have answers that must be sought. Seek him out when the dreamtime invades your night thoughts again.”

“I will honorable chieftain,” and he smiled at my response and left. I went to my hut to think about seeing Petronius, the lore master and medicine man.

The feast that night was grand. To be honest I didn’t give much thought to the food placed before me as I sat and watched the dancers in my assigned place next to the chieftain. Michaela sat with the chieftain’s head wife at her place some ways away. It was another one of those customs that I didn’t fully understand; the separation based on gender. The dancers told of my negotiations with Sigara and Naomi and how the plains had become free from the decade-long feud between the herders and the warlords. It ended with how Kirabaros, me, negotiated peaceful terms and had surely brought blessings upon our village.

I was impressed at the embellishment of the details but slightly annoyed. I wasn’t one who liked to have the limelight. I didn’t like drawing attention to myself and tried not to as a Jedi should but everywhere I went, it seemed as if the people had heard of the Heart of the Guardian. Michaela knew I didn’t enjoy it and tried to stress it at least to the women that I preferred to be called by the name my mother gave me. I wasn’t angry, I just couldn’t accept the simple explanation the People gave me yet time seemed to have mellowed out my thoughts for I wasn’t thinking of the dancers and everything else but what Naomi told me and the dream that I had.

I didn’t even notice the speech that the chieftain was making regarding Michaela’s contribution and mine to the tribe and about the honor we had brought because we preferred negotiation rather than conflict. He went on how this last mission of diplomacy was a sure sign from the gods that I was indeed the legendary Kirabaros. That sort of snapped me out of my reverie, as the chanting of the People grew louder. I then realized that there was no way for me to avoid what had started in the enclave on Mikkado. The Heart of the Guardian had become a legend.

I think my wife noticed my reaction and asked about what the chieftain meant later in the privacy of our home. I explained that the story of Kirabaros had been epitomized, that it had reached a point where it was no longer a myth but reality. I knew she had a hard time understanding what I meant because she had not been raised amongst tribal people but as a purebred Argonon. She knew very little of the role that myth played into everyday life and how it influenced the combat styles of the warriors and of how all were connected. She understood that through the Force all life was connected and she used that to try to understand.

The feast carried on into the night. There were dancers, acrobats and even the children insisted on performing. The warriors gave to the tales of the great hunts and battles that they had participated in or those of long ago. It was peaceful in the way one feels when they are at home. I saw that being called Kirabaros wouldn’t be a bad thing but that as long as I remained true to my heart and what I believed in, I would be just J.C. I would be me. Being there with the People brought out a feeling that I hadn’t felt since Master Tergis first found me as a boy. I opened myself to the Force and I could hear him speak to me as if he were still alive, Death is a natural part of life. When one dies, it is best to celebrate what they did in life and what made it worth living. I remembered that he told me that when he first planted the wildflower garden at the enclave and I thought of it because he was there in my heart. I felt at peace when the feast continued as Michaela and I left for home.

((Sorry for the long wait. I had a brainstrom for another story))

Chapter 3: A Strange Dream

The feast was still going on when Michaela and I went home. I knew that the chieftain wouldn’t mind because he had already said his piece about the events that had occurred. At our home, Michaela had changed into what she was going to sleep in and had gone to look at the moon. I joined her and we looked at it together. I once made the comment that the moon was more beautiful than the sun in that it allowed all the beautiful things to occur under her gaze. She seemed to like that and from then on, we always watched the moon and listened to the birds singing.

That night was different and I could feel it. Even though I felt at peace, there was a nagging doubt in the back of my mind. I tried to push it out as we went to bed. Our pet draigon, a smaller version of the one we ride, curled up at our feet and drifted off to sleep. During that sleep, it came.

Blood, fire, smoke and bodies were all on the ground. The screams were many and loud, intense. The dead, the wounded, the dying were everywhere. The star from the sky came down and sent a bright light to reveal a shadow. Tall, imposing and covered with the blood of all that he slaughtered. He laughed as he rammed his blade through what appeared to be the tribesmen. I turned and saw Naomi and others that I knew from the Zherron tribe dead or crying out for help. I couldn’t see Michaela but I sensed she was there somewhere. I reached out to try and help but it was too late, too late…

I woke up with a start. I was disturbed by what I saw and would have jumped right out of bed if I hadn’t been aware of Michaela sleeping soundly. The images of death and dying filled me with the familiar sorrow I had felt when I was a boy and my father died and my pet draigon, killed by Tvark. As I remembered Tvark, I felt an immense shadow come across my back and it sent a chill down my spine.

With as much care as I could muster, I got out of bed and left Michaela to sleep while I thought about Tvark and that chill I felt. I sat on the rail of the veranda and gazed at the Chinooka run its silver course. I had a distinct feeling that the dream and Tvark were somehow connected to the falling star from the sky. Looking at the river, I saw a dire wolf gaze at me with its inquisitive golden eyes and then walk away, probably to hunt. I wondered what Tvark could possibly have to do with my dream seeing that I killed him to save my wife that night in the township on Mikkado. My thoughts were blending together and filling my mind with numerous possibilities that I didn’t notice Michaela until she placed a gentle hand on my shoulder.

Apparently I had awakened her, or she told me that she felt something was wrong. My first thoughts were that she was beautiful standing in the moonlight in her night shift with her long brown hair trailing down her back. She asked me, “What is it?”

Not ready and not willing to answer, I turned my gaze to her wrist. I recognized the draigon pearl bracelet and fingered it rather lovingly. I replied, “I remember when I first gave this to you.”

She was clearly annoyed and her voice gave it away when she responded, “How long is it going to take for you to be honest with me?”

“It’s nothing, just a dream,” I replied.

“You’ve had dreams before. Don’t shut me out. Please tell me.”

I could see that she was concerned for me. She didn’t have to remind me that she knew that I had not been sleeping well ever since that siege business and that my dreams were not just dreams. She knew better than to push me so she waited silently but her presence was filled with concern. I had stood up and walked towards the opposite rail looking at the village. I knew that I was doing her no justice by not telling her so I decided to swallow my need to protect her and flat out say what was bothering me, “I had a dream. Like the ones I used to have before the sieges, before the slaughter.”

“Is it bad?”

“I think something terrible is going to happen. I saw many of our friends dying or dead and a great evil was delighting in their suffering and a falling star shined its light upon him, almost as if revealing itself.”

“Do you recognize the evil being?”

“I don’t know but I think it has something to do with Tvark. The dream brought the sorrow I had felt when he killed Manzibique.”

She couldn’t really find anything to say. It wouldn’t make any sense because I had never told her about Manzibique or my time at the boarding school and orphanage. Instead she came close and placed her arm through the crook of mine and leaned close. She stood there with me and said, “No matter what happens, we will face it together.”

I wasn’t so sure about it. I knew that she didn’t forget Tvark because she saw that as the bad side of her people when they allowed their hatred to dictate their actions. I didn’t tell her that I didn’t see her in my dream but I felt her there. I thought that it meant that her fate was uncertain. I did know this; I needed to pay a visit to Petronius, the lore master and medicine man. He seemed to have an understanding of life that transcended the vision of the Jedi. I said no more as Michaela and I went back to sleep with her head on my shoulder.

No more dreams came the rest of the night and in the morning, and my tiredness was showing. Michaela didn’t make any reference to what had happened that night, knowing that I was uncomfortable that I had put her into a position of worrying. What was worse was that I was worried about what the dream meant. Funny, I kept others from worrying most of my adult life that when I had a chance to worry, I felt like I swallowed a blaster bolt, like bantha poodoo.

We didn’t discuss anything about the dream but rather laid down what was going to happen for today. Michaela would go to the chieftain’s wife for she had been invited to learn more on how to be a proper wife. I on the other would go to the indaba and discuss options with Trystan, the chief. I didn’t tell her that I would see old Petronius before that. I didn’t have to for she knew that I went to Petronius for anything that involved visions. I finished my meal and gave a kiss on Michaela’s cheek and bade her a good day.

Petronius was waiting for me at the entrance to his hut. He always seemed to know when I was troubled, which was lately. I enjoyed going to visit him for his hut was on the Chinooka River a comfortable distance from the rest of the village. You could say that he was somewhat of a hermit. He welcomed me into his hut and I was immediately welcomed with a strong scent of Judan blossoms and herbs. It was a smell that I remembered well from my days of being an orphan at the boarding school. The only difference was that I felt accepted her whereas there I was treated and disregarded as a bothersome fly.

I made my way to my familiar pallet seat, the place where visitors sat. Petronius stoked his fire in the center of the room and handed me a cup of Chinooka bark tea. It was a rather soothing brew that could put even the most reluctant into a talkable mood. As protocol dictated, I inquired about his health and his family. His daughter I helped from a rather unscrupulous warrior who thought he deserved everything he saw. Needless to say she married well and had two children. Petronius on his end questioned me about my family and why there were no children to bring on the next generation of warriors to defend the family honor. I knew he would ask this and I replied the same way every time, “When work is finished.”

It was really a cover because children were something Michaela and I never discussed being that we had our duties and I think we just wanted to be with each other. After our initial conversation, it was my cue to bring up what had been bothering me, “The dreamtime has been invading my night thoughts.”

“Yes your face shows it.”

“I think that they are visions of what is to come.”

“How certain are you?” Petronius asked.

I went into a very descriptive narrative of my dreams. Petronius didn’t say anything through out my narrative but listened deeply. When I had finished, he kept in thought, deep thought and I knew that this too disturbed him. I think he was trying to find the best way to speak his mind without having me get worked into frenzy. He replied, “Premonitions of death and war you see. Hmm…disturbing and yet hope fall from the sky.”

“What could that mean? There hasn’t been a full scale war since the Rashikians shed blood on Belos.”

“Careful you must be when sensing the future. What Grace has gifted you could mean two things instead of one.”

I knew full well that meaning. Master Tergis had told me once that the future was and is always in motion. Sometimes what we see means one thing but it really means another. He was telling me that war will come but as to whom it could be the Rashikians or it could be another. The falling star was hope though I was uncertain to what that meant. I was thinking about what he said when he spoke again, “War will come, yes, but as to who will lead it, that remains uncertain. Death will come. It is a natural part of life.”

I thought about telling him the feeling I had about Tvark and Manzibique and at first decided to not to but realized that I would be doing a greater disservice by not telling. Petronius listened to what I felt when I had my dream the night before but right away he spoke up instead of waiting, “The future meets the past. It is the only way one must grow.”

He was trying to tell me that I had to face what I had left behind on Mikkado. I thought at first he was trying to tell me that I had to have the vision quest or something. I thought in the beginning they were connected. Later when it did happen that I met what would have been the end of me and the people that I loved.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the next chapter after two weeks. It is a bit short than my usual length but any more would not have fit with the chapter title. Enjoy:

Chapter 4: The Sitting Room

While I was with Petronius, Michaela had an interesting conversation with the head wife of Lord Trystan. She later told me the details as to what had happened. It started out pleasant enough for they were working on new dance shawls for the up coming feast and dance to welcome the new year in. Michaela had been given the place of honor beside Nayana, the chieftain’s head wife, the place where one could be scrutinized and also be revered.

The conversation started out pleasant enough with the discussion on the weather and if the seasonal deer would pass through. It was a conversation where one could participate at will or be absorbed and ignore things not concerning them. Michaela was working on the fringe of hers and had been conversing with Rajia, the elderly wife of Petronius and advisor to Nayana, about the blooming of the Judan tree near our hut. When Michaela told me this later, she admitted that she was in a state that she was not there at all. I ended up stating that they had a way of putting one’s mind in that state. I was and still am ignorant of the ways of the women’s circle and why they are honored the way they are.

The conversation took an interesting turn when Nayana asked Michaela if I had any other bad dreams concerning the falling star. Michaela was rather taken aback for she never mentioned anything about my dreams. When she gazed at Nayana’s face, it was one of gentle seriousness that permeated her soft gray eyes. Nayana explained, “It is alright. It has been seen that Kirabaros will see the falling star. No one has told us.”

That was when Nayana told Michaela of the most ancient orders that were said to be as old as the Jedi itself, the Bushida Handmaidens. Most of what Michaela told me was just the accepted version that the citizenry knew. I never knew the full extent as to who they were. It was considered one of those things forbidden to the knowledge of men and one of those things that no one spoke of. It must have been considered a great risk to allow her to tell me everything but little did I know that once again my actions and fate would be bound to the fate of this ancient order.

“The Bushida Handmaidens,” Nayana explained, “are among the most revered and honored warriors and have existed since the early years before the Republic. Their primary duty is to watch and guard those that utilize the Force. Overall, servitude is to the will of the Force. The male counterparts perform the same duty. What separates us from the males is our ability to ‘see’ and discern the will of the Force and our connection to it.

“There are many groups within the order and are named as such to distinguish rank and specialty. The most powerful in terms of combat are the sisters from Belos who in turn are grouped according to skill. It is the way of things.”

“Why is it that you speak of this to me,” Michaela asked.

“We say this because we have seen what your husband as seen and we realize that it may mean that we are called to our duty once again. We speak of this for we feel that the wife of the one who unites us should know and we agree that a place should be made for her with us,” Rajia answered.

I think Michaela was in shock when she found out. For three years she had socialized with these very women who were forced to hide who they were whenever they sat together at the same indaba. Michaela told me that she was in state of shock when she learnt of it but she never said that she agreed or not. There are some things one just does not speak of. The rest I can only speculate but some how there was a connection between those women and my wife and it was a bridge I was not allowed to cross. I did learn that after that conversation they went back to speaking of what they were talking about before the revelation.

After I met with Petronius and had left for the day, I took a walk through the enclave. It always seemed to please me and lift my spirits to see the people going about their work, especially the children. I went to the fields for it was my turn to watch the herds and tend the garden. Mostly I was practicing saber techniques with the grass rake. That day it seemed that all the children came wanting to learn to be tough like me. Chuckling I went through the motions of the first and most important lesson: being gentle but at the same time, being tough. It was pleasant and would have continued if the sun stayed up but when the sun went down, it was time to head home. Michaela would be home making supper and I was expected.

Walking along the river was tranquil and I felt at peace. Nayana broke my reverie with her smooth and rich voice, “The river absorbs one’s thoughts and shows them to the seeker.”

I was surprised to see her out and speaking to me. It was worth it to listen so I remained respectfully silent and allowed her to continue, “You seek something that you thought buried and yet when you look it is still buried. What is on the surface is nothing but the spawning of the seed buried,” and she walked away. It was one of those moments where I was rather slightly annoyed at the prophetic tones of Avalonian but grateful in that they always seem to come when one needed it the most.

I thought of what she said as I walked along the river. I thought that the seed that was buried may have been that of Tvark, but the spawning was something new. It was something that would consume my mind until it was revealed to me. I did not notice the wolf that had been watching me with its amber eyes but I did hear my master’s voice in my thoughts, Through the Force, one can see the future, the past, old friends long gone. I made it home and over supper, Michaela told me what she learned of at Nayana’s indaba.

I finally got enough time to sit down and read the entire fic at one time. I like your ability to create an entire culture, with its songs and traditions and such. I had a bit of trouble following it in the first couple chapters, but each chapter has been a little more descriptive so I've been able to experience the positives and problems of the culture more fully. I've enjoyed this much.

@ Jae: I have been thinking about rewriting the first half to include more detail. I was trying to get from the view of a child growing into an adult. About the culture, mostly the idea came to me when I was reading up on the samurai but I thought, 'Why not have the female as the revered warrior.' Some things came from other cultures but for the most part Chinese and Japanese philosophy are the dictates

@Pottsie: I had book two mae into an RP because for one, I was curious as to how other would view the main baddie and two because it gave more room to play with in terms of travel, involving Revan, etc. Also because I needed some ideas to work with. It does me no good to have a character and not have a clue as to his introduction.

Chapter 5: The Falling Star

After Michaela told me of her day and her concerns about me. It was my guess that she was upset that the whole village seemed to know me better than her. Little did I know was that she was doing her duty as a new sister of the Handmaidens. I didn’t find out this until much later and of other secrets she kept from me. We went to bed early but sleep would not come to me. For some reason, I felt compelled to stay awake.

Not bearing it any longer, I got out of bed, taking care not to disturb Michaela. I walked out to the verandah to watch the sky as I normally did when I had trouble sleeping. For some reason, I felt compelled to go to the end facing the river. I spent a few minutes watching the Chinook and thinking about what Nayana said to me and also what Michaela spoke of to me about the women of the order. Mainly, I thought about Tvark, my tormentor when I was seven and about the intense hatred I could feel at that age. What I had noticed here was that cruelties were never spoken of or shown to children until the elders and their parents thought them old enough to understand. I was wondering about this when my dream became reality.

For a moment, my gaze left the river to look at the forest where I noticed an amber light, a pair of them. I thought they were the light bugs that sometimes hung around the river. When the lights blinked, I realized that it was an actual creature. It turned out to be a wolf, the same one that had been watching me earlier though I did not notice it. It would hold its gaze with me then move along the shore. It was almost as if it were beckoning me. When I failed to move, it came closer. It was strange because it was not acting as I have seen the other wolves do and I was not sure if I was to see it as a threat or not.

The wolf came across the river and right up to the verandah, its gaze never faltering. I felt drawn to it. I walked to the stoep and sat on the steps. The wolf slowly came up to me until it was close enough for me to pet him. It was a stupid thing to do but I held out my hand palm down for him to sniff. I had heard stories from the city dwellers that the wolves were vicious animals and that they ate people. The tribesmen said that it was nonsense for the wolves were our brothers and they should be respected as such by offering a scrap of meat if you had one on hand. I had none and yet here I was holding my hand out to a wolf. I was caught somewhere between insanity and reason.

The wolf, however, did not attack or even seem offended. It sniffed my hand with its nose, gently touching the tip of his nose to my hand. I must have been holding my breath for I do not recall ever breathing during those minutes that the wolf was examining my hand. I relaxed when the wolf stuck out his tongue and began to lick my hand with the same tenderness it would have done to its pups. It then came closer and allowed me to pet him. I began to stroke him and I smiled. I had never heard of anyone, tribesman or city dweller, ever touching a wolf in the manner I was. Wolves were considered noble and nurturing and it was one of the reasons the women of some of the tribes were associated with the wolf. This one seemed to know that he was to befriend me and I to him for he was not aggressive at all but like that of the wolves I had seen from afar.

He was a gentle wolf, the blackest I had ever seen and had eyes that were like amber. If my wife had seen him, she would have said that he was a handsome fellow. As I sat there petting him, I did not notice that Nayana had been watching with none other than Naomi. Later I would learn that they had been watching out for me and that they were the ones who deepened the legend of the Heart of the Guardian.

I was petting this wolf when a light caught my eye. The wolf looked up and I followed his gaze to see a red streak falling from the sky. I had never seen anything like it before. Shooting stars were rare and often seen as a sign by the lore masters and medicine men and the oldest of the women. The wolf moved to the river’s edge and stared at it. I followed him while watching the red light streak across the sky. I could see that it was going to come down nearby and I wanted to see it. Following its path I took off into the Takeshi forest. I do not remember how I managed not to come across the wild beasts but I just kept following it. I came to a clearing near the Quioquihoni and I lost sight of the red light. The wolf had kept up and stood next to me keeping a sharp eye.

Seeing that I could not locate the light again, I decided to turn back and what for morning. I went back to my home occasionally looking behind me to see if the light would show itself again. Once on the stoep of my home, I gave one last glance at the sky. Seeing nothing I turned to go in. Behind me, I heard a little moan. Turning around, the wolf was looking at me with his amber eyes and he whined again as if begging me not to leave him alone. Smiling I gave a click in the back of my throat and nodded for the wolf to follow. It must have been waiting for that or something because he bounded up the steps and into the house. I chuckled softly and followed him in. Master Tergis always said that I had a way with animals.

Michaela had not stirred from her sleep. I had no desire to wake her so I got into bed a quietly as I had left it. The wolf had followed me into my room and laid right down on my side of the bed on the floor. Smiling, I sighed and closed my eyes and went to sleep. That romp brought about the need to sleep that I had not felt earlier.

Before the sun rose above the hills, I woke up and made ready to pick up where I had left off the night before. The wolf was ready to go and was by my side. Our pet draigon stayed with Michaela along with a note I had penned to her. I jogged back to the clearing where I had last seen the red light and reached it just as the sun struck the river. I looked around and realized that I had reached the sacred clearing where the medicine men came to meditate. Young warrior came here as well to find their spirit helpers.

Sitting down in the center, I decided to try something. I sat in a cross-legged position and closed my eyes. Stilling my breathing I began to center myself and let the Force flow through me. I was trying to pick up the trail through the Force, as it was strong in this place. I concentrated so hard; I actually saw the light hit the earth. Then I saw an image in a tree. I recognized it as marker of the Grenda clan. I opened my eyes and saw the wolf looking off in a direction. Getting up, I decided to follow him for something told me that this wolf was different from the others.

We had been traveling for a while and I decided to take a break. I sat down and opened a pack that I had packed this morning. I took out a small loaf of fry bread, the warrior’s sustenance when on the move. The wolf sat with his back to me but looking as if keeping watch. Disliking the quiet I decided to talk to him, mostly to myself, “I don’t why I am even doing this but the Force works as it will.”

The wolf just listened. I went on, “Well I guess I’m going to have to call you by something. It would sound silly if I just called you ‘wolf’ if anyone saw us. How about Aapa?”

The wolf cocked his ear and turned away. I made a slight face, “Ok that’s a no. How about this: Kapu.”

The wolf moved closer and licked my hand. Pleased I gave him some fry bread, which he ate promptly. I spoke, “You like that? Ok then Kapu it is.”

Getting up I dusted the crumbs off and made ready to leave. Kapu headed off, pointing me in the right direction. We continued on until we got to the thickest parts of the forest. I figured we had gone pretty far judging from the brush. Old Petronius’ lessons had not been lost on me. Kapu’s ears suddenly pricked up and he began to growl. I could sense something was not right either and I took my lightsaber off my belt and held it ready. I inched my way forward and pushed aside some brush.

In another clearing was a woman not of this world wielding a lightsaber and facing her, were three of the largest kirath hounds I had ever seen. If they bit you, you needed a med kit fast because they had a poison in their teeth that could kill you or make you very sick. I thought she was brave for taking them on but she was a Jedi. I decided to help and began to climb the trees and race along them. The strange woman received a bite on her arm but she shook off the hound with the Force. From where I was, I could sense how powerful she was.

With a whistle I jumped out of the trees just as she tripped over a stone. I ignited my saber and waved in a way one would wave fire at a wolf. The kirath hounds growled menacingly when Kapu jumped out with his teeth bared. Kapu took on one and I took on two and thus was a dance that made those hounds angry. After a few times of being thrown by the Force, they had enough and turned to run back into the forest with their stubby tails clamped down tight to their rumps. Kapu was panting but in fun and he snorted at them. I sheathed my lightsaber and turned to the woman who was struggling to get to her feet.

She was stunningly beautiful with dark hair and brown eyes. She was wearing the robes of a Jedi and looked weary as if she had been traveling a long way. I held my hand to offer assistance, which she took gratefully. Standing up I could see that she was strong in stature and in spirit and I could sense that she had a heavy heart as if she left someone behind, someone that was important to her. I noticed her arm was bleeding slightly and I said, “Let me take a look at that.”

Without waiting for her to respond, I took her arm and looked at it. Opening my pack I applied the herbs that Petronius instructed would be helpful. She did not once flinch as I dressed her arm. When I was done she spoke softly, “Thank you.”

“A Jedi always helps another,” I replied.

She looked at Kapu, who was looking at us and the surroundings, and said, “You have the gift with animals. He trusts you.”

“Yeah, and I just met him last night,” and I smiled and packed my bag. Looking at her I asked, “Who are you?”

She must have been frightening slightly and I sensed that she had some rather unpleasant experiences. Still she spoke strongly, “I am Revan. I came her on a ship that is now a scrap heap.”

I nodded and said, “I saw your ship last night. We will talk about that later. Come let us go to my house.”

With a shriller whistle I gave, two draigons appeared. I helped Revan onto one and I climbed on the other. Kapu followed us or ran in front of us as we made our way back to my house. Along the way, I thought about the falling star and my dream and wondered if this person was a connection to the dark shadow.

• 1 month later...

Finally after a month of thinking and writing, I have here Chapter 6. Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 6: The Past Revealed

It was late in the day when we arrived at my home, almost dark. Revan had fallen asleep, mostly due to the slight amount of poison that she was exposed to. I had a few bites myself to know that it would soon pass. Michaela was waiting on the verandah for me and she came running to greet me. I could not tell if she was surprised to see that I brought someone with me, especially a woman. She was too much of a gentlewoman to openly question what she saw.

I jumped off the draigon and hugged her. I whispered that Revan was to be a guest. Michaela nodded at me and went to make some tea. I gently woke Revan and helped her off the draigon and led her inside. Kapu followed us inside and sat by the front door as if to guard. I sat Revan in a chair and Michaela offered some tea, a special brew to give a weary person strength. We waited for Revan to speak when she was able. When she did, it was rather a quiet thing, “Thank you for saving me. I fear that your kindness though may be your undoing.”

I could tell that she was guilty about something and I was interested to learn more but decided not to push too hard. I instead adopted a wait and see approach. Revan spoke again. “I brought a great evil, something terrible from the wars.”

“Don’t worry dear, we will help you,” was the response that came from Michaela. It surprised me because she volunteered to help. She would later tell me that she felt compelled to help.

Revan sat in her seat and breathed slowly before speaking, “During the Mandalorian wars, I did something terrible and I came here to fight it.”

I gently put my hand on her shoulder and asked, “What?”

I could tell that she was going to have some trouble speaking of this so I made no motion to urge her forward. Michaela did the same but I think on a different level of understanding. After swallowing some tea and a bit of inner struggle, Revan said, “It is the True Sith.”

My face betrayed no emotion but my mind was at a whirlwind. I had heard of the True Sith; Master Tergis used to tell me tales of when the Jedi Order first split. I remembered him telling me those tales for the express purpose of teaching me that though the Jedi may drive away evil it is never truly defeated. I could have told him that considering that the memory of the Judge was like a raw scar on my memory but I was only a child then. I had never thought that they would return and yet at the back of my mind, I could sense it. I felt it on occasion that it was in the very air that I breathed and at times it threatened to suffocate me. I spoke none of my thoughts to Revan, but instead said, “Then we must rally as soon as possible. They may come here and we must be ready.”

Michaela said, “Not tonight dear. We must plan this accordingly.”

“No I cannot ask you to help…” Revan started.

“We help all who are in need. The galaxy belongs to us all,” I replied.

I then stood up and beckoned Revan to follow me. I showed her to a room near the back of my home where I usually housed guests that were either passing through or old friends. I opened the door and went about trying to make the place comfortable. Revan helped me after a bit and in short order the room was made to her liking. I told her to rest well and that in the morning I would introduce her to the Lord of the Tribes and we would start to the capital city. Before I left she asked me, “You are a Jedi Knight are you?”

Smiling I responded, “Yes.”

“You are a Jedi and yet you have a wife? “

“Yes. I believe that love shouldn’t be feared. In the end it can be the very thing that will save you.”

She smiled at me and said, “You remind me of my old friend and mentor Jolee Bindo only you are more kinder and less grouchy.”

“I suppose old age has that effect on you.” I was familiar with Jolee and found his adventures during the war with Exar Kun to be entertaining and more education worthy. I suspected that was why Tergis used to tell me them. Still I sensed there was more to her inquiry so I asked, “Why do you ask?”

“Well, I was wondering how you could live here where this evil roams and yet still be with the one you love?” she responded hesitantly.

I could tell right away that she carried a pain in her heart. She was anxious to share it but I think she was embarrassed to impose on me or it was still a painful memory. I decided to try to coax it out of her and asked softly, “You miss him?”

She nodded and said, “The hardest part was saying goodbye. How can you tell someone you love goodbye; that you can’t take them with you because it is a place that few can walk?”

She had started with silent tears. I felt her pain roll off of her and I comforted her by hugging her. She was grateful and rewarded my aid by mentioning about him, “He is one of the best pilots of the Republic. We met when Malak was waging his war against the Republic.”

“I have heard of that war. The tradesmen that travel the lanes brought many reports as they shipped supplies to and from the frontlines. I couldn’t serve because there were other problems here on my homeworld,” I responded.

I had released her from the hug and she looked calm enough. She seemed a great deal happier. I took to the thought that it had been awhile since she had time to relax. She smiled and said, “We met and well…I guess you can figure that out,” and she turned to the spare bed and turned down the covers. She then turned back around and said, “Thank you.”

I nodded and closed the door. Upon entering my room, I saw that Michaela was already fast asleep. I didn’t try to wake her to talk to her but let her sleep. I motioned for Kapu to lie down on the floor and he did so willingly and with contentment as if he were on a vacation. I climbed silently into bed so as not to disturb Michaela. I had no idea that she intended to inform the sisters, in fact I didn’t even find out about the sisters until a critical moment later.

I lay there staring up at the ceiling of my home waiting for sleep to come. My thoughts kept drifting to the information that Revan had told me about the True Sith. Until then, I thought they were simply stories told by my master. True they were real people who had split from the Jedi, I had adopted the attitude that it was ancient history, a rather irony of the sort. I also thought about what Revan left behind: her friends, her love and it brought about feelings of respect and admiration. I remembered my father dying while I was away at boarding school and I remembered Manzibique. Even though she was a draigon, she was my friend and I lost her at the hands of the Judge.

I was thinking this when I must have fallen asleep. I dreamt the same dream again but this time it differed in some ways. Now that Revan had arrived, the dream changed to a more intense battle. Revan was there fighting by another man side by side but he arrived after another light from the sky fell. The high laughter became more distinct and terrifyingly familiar. I had no idea what I was doing in the physical world. I felt queasy and a gut wrenching emotion of fear. It was a fear that I had not felt in a long time. The last time I felt it was when I was seven years old and I had slops dumped on my head and I began a life of hiding. I didn’t wake up; I couldn’t. I was compelled to view the person who was inspiring a long buried fear. I later recalled the experience to old Petronius.

I remember wandering through the battlefield and seeing the same dead that I had been seeing in my dreams. I followed the laughter and somehow ended back in the township on Mikkado. It was then I saw him but he was not alone. He had a companion with him. I stared at the one whom I had killed and we stared for the longest time. After that I woke up but fell back into an uneasy sleep, disturbed that a past I had left behind had caught up with me.

Archived