Home

Kotor 1 graphics glitch and headless character

HerbieZ

My kotor 1 has caught a bug. I just started the game again and textures are corrupt, walls on the Endar Spire were pink and purple with black random lines but in other parts of the ship, it wasnt happening. I tweaked my graphics options and restarted my computer and the game itself and thought i had cured it until it happened again only this time my characters head slowly disintegrated into pink and pruple blotches then completely disappeared.

Any help please?

Picture 1

Two

and for the hilarious coincidental dialogue

Does it just happen on the PC's head.. or are you getting distortion around the entire screen?

The pink & purple lines/disintegrating had me worried until I saw your pics (#3 is hilarious :lol: )... sounded like your soundcard was melting or getting too hot.. but if it's only the PC head.. then that wouldn't be the case... (duh, hehehe)

Have you installed any mods that have adjusted the heads.2da, portraits.2da or appearance.2da recently?

I have never installed any mods to Kotor through fear of this sort of corruption. The pink and purply things happened specifically on the corners walls of the corridors of the Endar Spire. It seems it only affects certain textures which im guessing could be a texture gaff or something. Im not sure because when i restart it, its different every time.

What kind of Video Card do you have... Also, you mentioned you had adjusted some settings in your previous post.. can you remember what those were?

If it's only on certain textures.. not sure, however something could be affecting your envmap textures (diffusions)... though I'm not sure exactly what it could be...

Frame Buffer Effects tends to be a guilty culprit in alot of video issues as well.. perhaps check to see if you have it checked or unchecked as well (in your game's video options) :)

and just for giggles... double-check to see if your video card is getting too hot. Weirder things have happened ;)

I have the exact same problem. If i mess around with the graphics settings a little i can get it to go away, but it always comes back at some level...

basically, some textures appear as pink and black squares, and I can make my PC's head pink and black and make it dissapear or half-dissapear

But I can actually get all these problems to go away if I lower the graphics settings. The one thing I can't get to go away is distorted geometry. Its terrible...its like a little piece of carth's leg or the door to the upper city cantina or my PC's head is connected to some point way off screen, making gigantic spikes of single textures, sometimes huge planes of single textures that completely block my view. It's scary at times...i forgot to take a screeny, but, similiar to Herbie's cooincidental dialouge, when i was talking to Gadon, part of his eye was extended all the way off screen, so it looked like a huge spike was protruding out of his eye...and one of the dialouge options is "What's up with your freaky eyes, old man?"

And as much as I hate to say this, I have the same gfx card: A Radeon 9800 Pro.

Damnit. That probaby means were in trouble, herbie...

Specifically, I have a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB of VRAM, and catalyst 6.2 (which i updated yesterday so i'm pretty sure its the newest).

My Kotor is up to date.

The funny thing is, I think I played this game about two years ago on the same computer with the same hardware and didn't get this problem. A new driver problem, perhaps?

Ok, I've actually fixed the problem so far. No more distorted geometry or disappearing heads or pinkd and black textures. At least, as far as I've been playing since this "fix"

Basically, I went to the ati driver site and downloaded the .net framework 1.1 fix...which may have not been on my comp or might have been messed up (cause i was messing around with unistalling it and whatnot trying to get the Auto Assualt beta to run :headbump: ) and then reinstalled the 6.2 driver

Only...I tried messing with the gfx some more and...lookie!!! :-D

Glowy

Honestly, I think I'm the special one

But honestly, i'm willing to play the game like this, whereas the distorted geometry was just too much...

• 3 weeks later...

Well i reinstalled drivers, got the latest ones. Still got the problem. I changed the resolution to 1024x768 and alas i still get it. Taris is pretty much a no go area though now :/ although ever since i installed the drivers and changed the resolution, the game has this amazing new sharpness and quickness about it. Very responsive now. Shame about the pink and black blotch disco mode. You really should see Taris, it looks like it's been attacked by a bunch of people from the 70's.

• 2 weeks later...

After much examining, i have found this problem to be caused after a cutscene initializes. Everytime a cutscene plays, it starts the corruptions off. The pink and purple splotches that appear say something on them, they have a number on but it's not discernable. Im guessing the textures default to something, i will find the cause of this. Help required!

Archived