Home

Creating partitions

Pad

I haven't used any for Windows, but for Ubuntu I have QTParted and GParted, both are very easy to use. It's possible they are made for windows also, but I'm not sure.

Glad you're going for Ubuntu, it really is a great OS :thumbsup:

I´m going to create some partitions on my pc so I can install Ubuntu.

Does anyone know any good free programs to do this?

If you are using Windows XP you should be able to create partitions from the Management Console, in the Disk Management category.

I haven't used any for Windows, but for Ubuntu I have QTParted and GParted, both are very easy to use. It's possible they are made for windows also, but I'm not sure.

Glad you're going for Ubuntu, it really is a great OS :thumbsup:

You almost make it sound like you didn´t create partitions or perhaps you had them created when you booted your system.

But ubuntu needs a different partition right?

Of most things I know something or a lot. On this matter on the other hand I know ****.

Btw, different partitions also means things used on one os arent always available to the other one and vice versa.

You almost make it sound like you didn´t create partitions or perhaps you had them created when you booted your system.

But ubuntu needs a different partition right?

Well, yes, Ubuntu needs a different partition, but I had my old windows 98 hard drive with nothing relevant on it, and I had XP on the other hard drive, so I just wiped the old hard drive and installed on it. I later got a 186gb drive and partitioned it half and half to windows and linux.

When you do make partitions, make sure you do fat32 if you want to be able to write from both windows and linux. If you want windows only its ntfs, and linux only is ext3.

Archived