Home

Fear

JR2000Z

Originally posted by JR2000Z:

Well, the link did say

fatCHICKSinpartyhats.com

Dammit Rune!

Personally, she's not my type but Im sure she's the woman of your guys dreams.

Actually, I can't tell if she is female. And where's the party hat

<small>(and no, don't say she ate it).</small>

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing I am afraid of is being confused...

Anyhow, I have been crazy about sharks lately. Just watched Jaws the other night, and it has only made my obsession grow.

I have caught a twent-five inch black tip shark from the pier of my hometown. My friends were catching them too, esp after I had chummed up the water, I used coke cans stuffed with bait fish and put holes in them, then I tied them off the pier, soon we had caught seven blacktips, and I could see them circling and biting at my chum devices.

When I worked offshore with ROV's, which are remote operated robotic subs, as we were pulling the robot up, I was on the winch, and my boss in the control van told me that he saw a shark through the head-mic. The ROV was at about 200 feet. He told me to come into the control van and look. So I stopped the winch and did so. I looked at the monitor which only showed the dark blue sea at 220 feet, no sharks. But then, in the distance, I saw dozens of black shark sillhuettes, just swimming along. So my boss unlatched the ROV to fly it out into the thick of them. The sharks were about 5-6 feet long, and there was a HUGE school of these guys, easily fifty or more. I noticed that they really made wide thrusts with their tails that almost made their whole body move from side to side. I noticed the white spot on their dorsals indicating they were oceanic white tips.

I did research on them, and it turns out that they are aggressive, and travel in schools unlike other sharks, but tend to only stay in deep waters.

The four breeds of sharks known to blatantly attack humans are the great white, the tiger shark, the bull shark, and the oceanic white tip. Unfortunately I have never seen a great white or a tiger shark. I have seen plenty of hammerheads and bonnet head sharks, as I used to sometimes go out with my grandfather when he needed a deck hand on his shrimp boat.

The only case so far that I have found of a rogue shark (like Jaws, a shark that actively attacks more then one person), was back in 1916 off the coast of New Jersey. At that time people could care less about sharks, and sharks attacking people was almost unheard of, as there weren't as many people who flocked to beaches as tourists. But that shark in 1916 first attacked a man and killed him, it took off both his legs, he died of blood loss. It later swam into a bay, and into a river, where it killed a few more people. Later, an 8 foot great white was caught with fifteen pounds of human flesh in it's stomach. Again, this is the only case that I have found so far of a rogue shark. Other than that, sharks have never been known to actively attack humans again and again, like we see in the movie Jaws.

Great white attacks have a high fatality ratio, but are rare compared to bull shark and tiger shark attacks. Tiger sharks, on the other hand, will eat just about anything! Believe it or not, a tiger shark can grow up to about 23 feet long! They are not as heavy as great whites, but they can easily match their length. Tiger sharks prefer warm to temperate waters, and they have saw shaped teath, rather than triangular, that can handle just about anything. Hawaii has had problems with those guys.

Back to jaws, I am not sure if anyone remembers the old shark fisherman, Quinn, talking about the USS Indianapolis, but the incident did really happen. In fact, it happened with at least three US ships during World War II.

Indianapolis was returning to port after delivering components for the atom bomb. It was struck by a Japanese torpedo. Over 900 men went into the water, but no one knew about it being attacked by the japs, because it was a top secret mission, they had maintained radio silence, and they weren't rescued for five days, I believe it was.

Anyway, the sailors had seen several sharks the first day, they didn't start circling until the second day, finally that night there were screams in the darkness, and by the next day one hundered men were dead or missing. By the time they were rescued only three hundred were left, out of the original 900 or so.

A similar incident off the coast of south africa occured, out of 1400 men in the water only 400 were left by the time of rescue, and even during the rescue the shark attacks continued, leaving many of the men with their lover halves missing as they floated in their life jackets.

So, I am fascinated by sharks...and I am still searching for other cases of 'the rogue shark'.

How to fight off a shark.

Try to punch it in the eyes or gills. These are the most vulnerable areas (I'd advise the gills; they're bigger targets and can seriously injure the shark).

Do not aim for the snout (as some people may tell you). It's nearly solid bone and will only make the shark angry.

Dolphins often go out of their way to hunt sharks. They attack like velociraptors in JP (the first one, not the mutant things from JP III); one will distract the shark, while the other two circle and attack from either side. They swim up to torpedo-speed and ram the shark in its gills, smiling eerily all the while. . .

Dolphins are peaceful, gentle creatures, and I'm probably the only person on the planet who can really p*ss off a dolphin.
--Robin Williams ("Swimming with Dolphins" --Discovery Channel)

------------------

"Don't f_ck with the Jedi Master, son." --Mark Hamill

Guest Zoom Rabbit

If I ever get my furry butt up on a surfboard, I'm bringing a katana with me. biggrin.gif

'Bring it on, fishie! You want some of this?' *Hack!* 'Hah! Rabbit surprise!'

Guest Zoom Rabbit

All these fools getting bit off the Florida coast apparently fail to arm themselves. biggrin.gif I wouldn't go into a dangerous neighborhood unarmed, so why would I jump into shark-infested water carrying just my bathing suit and an ounce of sun block...? rolleyes.gif

They tested it against great whites. it don't work against them.

I've heard it theorized that Floridans get attacked by sharks primarily because they are stupid. I could jive with that because by boss, err, formal boss is from florida.

Supposedly the uncle let the kid swim in waters where they frequently fish for sharks, the water was murky, AND it was at dusk!

dumb dumb dumb dumb........

Guest Rogue 9

hmmm how to fight off a shark...

Load up the AN-94 and Spray the water liberally. biggrin.gif you'll get that little bugger if he's anywhere near the surface.

I think a very small Thermo-Nuclear device would work also.

Or a Depth Charge, or a plain ol' sniper Rifle.

------------------

This post has been proven more fun

than nailing a weasle to your forehead!

Because the weasle might care.

OFFICIAL ANIME AMBASSADOR OF XWA.NET!™

Official Diablo II Guru!

Bah. Whatever happened to honourable combat? rolleyes.gif

The real reason sharks attack surfers is because, when someone's bodyboarding (flat on the board with their feet over the end and their hands off the sides), they look (to a shark, anyway), like a seal. Sharks eat seals.

Duh!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Flying Beastie (edited August 31, 2001).]

Originally posted by Gugeyewalker:

The only thing I am afraid of is being confused...

So you come here, boy that's smart wink.gif

Can somebody explain why the US government is getting blamed for shark attacks. They weren't the ones who told sharks to have human for dinner.

------------------

"Dulce bellum inexpertis."

(Sweet is war to those who have never experinced it.) Roman Proverb

I like sharks, especially man-eating ones. Let's face it, we are just meat. Just because we're sentient doesn't remove us from the food chain. It's an ugly truth we hate to admit to ourselves.

Sharks live in the water. We don't. They have every right to eat us if we go there.

Don't want to get eaten,... stay out of the ocean. Don't like it? Too bad. To a hungry shark we are just more prey.

You can't reason with a shark. It's a perfect primative eating machine. I like that.

Originally posted by Admiral:

Your in water that has... sperm...

That's my doing, thank you very much...

------------------

nitrologo.gif

nitro.gif Ryan "Nitro" Cole nitro.gif - The man who can fly anything with wings... And some things without...

"If they could get a washing machine to fly, our Nitro could land it!"

My dad said that one time his ship found a WHOLE phone pole in the middle of the Atlantic. It still had the crossarms and the insulators and everything on it. He said it was the strangest thing he ever saw in the ocean.

He was also on the bridge the day that they found a body. So they picked up the corpse and put it in the freezer, steamed to EUROPE, spend a few months in the Med, went back to the US, and THEN unloaded the dead guy they found.

Originally posted by Nute Gunray:

My dad said that one time his ship found a WHOLE phone pole in the middle of the Atlantic. It still had the crossarms and the insulators and everything on it. He said it was the strangest thing he ever saw in the ocean.

I was wondering where that ended up.

<small>Don't ask.</small>

------------------

Archived