Home

[FIC]Amongst the Ruins

Yeah, that mission is going to be fun to write. I actually thought about it a little bit. I was going to have most of Hunter's squad die. He'll survive, and maybe Storm. They'll become Imperial Commandos along with some of Zeta Squad, which is going to be Commander Spike's Squad. The troops that died will be replaced, like they did in the game, with diverse toopers. This is just something that I briefly thought about and is likely to change.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 4: Assault on the Forward Command Post---------------------------------------------------------//

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------//

Iota Trail – Mygeeto Mission Clock 03:40 //

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------//

Hunter could see Ace and Kin on their AT – RTs ahead of them, down on the main assault path. He slammed a new clip into his decee, and adjusted his ammunition belt as he ran. He was scanning the area for any turrets that were in range. “Turret spotted,” Hunter informed his squad.

While running, Storm locked onto the turret manually and adjusted his angle. The turret spotted them and swiveled so that its main cannons faced them. Iota Squad had given up trying to be covert, and now, was just trying to catch up with the rest of the 501st. The turret recoiled as a blast of light came out from the end of the barrel attached to the turret. Max motioned for them to run faster. If they could, then the mortar might fly over their head, but Storm almost slowed down. He could see the turret fire from the scope on his missile launcher. Then, he locked on.

“Permission to fire?” Storm asked trying to keep the lock while running.

“FIRE!” Max shouted, as the rocket exited the launcher and sent smoke out the back, into Max’s face. The force of the rocket tried to push Max and Storm back into the mortar fire, but they wouldn’t allow that. Storm struggled to stay on his feet and running while Max came up from behind.

Max couldn’t see the mortar round land, for his visor was covered with soot form the rocket fuel, but he knew that it was coming. “Now!” Hunter yelled into the comm. system and he and Flash dove forward into a roll, trying to get away from the explosive round that landed behind them.

Max heard Hunter’s shout and rammed into Storm’s back, forcing him to dive forward. “Why didn’t it go off?” Max asked as he lay on the cold ground of Mygeeto, with his hands covering his head. He looked up just in time to see the AA turret swivel and launch a mortar randomly into the MAP before the missile that Storm had launched at it, what seemed like an hour ago, wasted it. Max couldn’t see where the turrets last shot landed because of a large explosion that went off behind them. “There it is,” he choked.

The mortar blast that landed behind Iota Squad sent chunks of rock and ice in their direction, but they were far enough away that it wasn’t fatal. However, it was still very dangerous trying to doge rocks the size of Jawas.

“Nice job soldiers. We’ve taken out all of the forward facing turrets. You’re free to take the CP on my mark. Just let me know when you’re in position,” Commander Spike said over the platoon comm. system.

Max wiped the rest of the soot off of his visor and got his first clear view of the area after the blast. The mortar hit just ten meters to their six, but that was enough to save their lives. He suddenly realized that all of his squad was coming to help him.

“You okay, Lead?” Flash asked, reaching out to help him up.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Max replied, taking Flash’s hand and brushing off smoke and dirt. “Let’s get up in position. I think that the droids are retreating into the CP. Once we capture that, we’ll have some time to rest. For now, we need to keep moving.”

“Right,” Hunter said and ran ahead on point. The forward command post was very close now and it was bigger than anyone had imagined. It might take longer than they thought to clear the place. For now, they just had to worry about getting in it.

“MAP squads are in position,” Ace said.

“Kappa Squad is too,” Caleb informed. “How’re you, Iota Squad?”

“Iota Squad is coming into position,” came Max. Hunter ducked low behind some rocks and the scraps of one of the turrets. He could see their path across the Blood Bath Plaza, the name for the area outside the forward command post. The rest of Iota Squad was running into position. They got down next to Hunter taking deep breaths. “Iota, ready.”

“Good,” said Commander Spike. “On my mark you will perform the maneuver that we’ve practiced for this. The single file AT – RTs will be the spearhead. Individual squads will come in from the sides in a scattered order. Ready, MARK!”

The AT – RTs moved with astonishing speed in a single file line. No droids came to oppose them and no mines had to be deactivated. It was scary. “What’s you’re hostile count, Iota?” Caleb asked confused.

“Zip over here. You?” Max came back.

“None. Ready to go?”

“I think so. We’ll go on your mark,” Max said. “Is everyone ready?” Storm reloaded his rocket launcher and laid it on the ground, aiming it at the barricade surrounding the command post.

“Ready here, Lead,” Storm replied.

“Okay squads,” Commander Spike said. “Put a rocket through the wall and have two people go in to provide cover for the next two. We’re going in now. On Ace’s mark.”

“Three, two, one!” Ace shouted before he launched a grenade at the barricade blowing a hole in it.

“See you over there,” Max told Flash and Storm as he and Hunter departed down the slope towards the CP. “Fire the missile once we get about twenty meters from the wall, okay.”

“Roger that,” Storm said. “Good luck.” Max and Hunter ran as fast as they could for the barricade. They were thirty meters away and still no sign of hostiles. Hunter looked around and saw the glint of metallic armor behind a large rock.

“Ohsh!” Hunter shouted.

“We’ve got droids here!” Caleb shouted. “Lots of them!” Hunter could hear blaster bolts whizzing by him, but when he looked back he wasn’t prepared to see hundreds of droids pouring out from behind rocks and small buildings.

“Get back to defensive positions!” Commander Spike ordered. “We can’t afford to loose so many men in this situation. Find cover!”

“We can make it!” Hunter shouted. “Shoot it, Storm!” Storm pulled the trigger on his rocket launcher and a rocket flew from the end of it. Their position was covered in smoke. “Almost there.”

A rocket flew over Max and Hunter’s head. It hit the barricade and blew a hole in it. “Nice shot, Storm!” Max called back. “We’re gonna make it!” But their celebration ended early when blaster bolts started pouring out of the newly formed hole in the barricade.

“Fierfek!” Hunter swore and dove to the side to avoid the shots. He chucked a thermal in and felt the ground shake as droid parts spattered the area. Just then, Separatist mercenaries dropped from the top of the forward command post on zip lines. Hunter started shooting up at them, but he couldn’t take his eyes off the droids coming in from the other sides. He looked up at the cloud of smoke where Storm and Flash were providing cover fire for them. It wasn’t enough.

Up at the assault starting position, Storm fanned away the smoke, trying to get some clear shots at some droids. Suddenly he heard footsteps from behind him. “Freeze!” A voice said. Storm turned around to see about ten Separatist mercenaries, standing with their blaster rifles ready.

Down near the barricade, Max and Hunter were fighting for their lives. They backed up against the barricade and found a small nook that provided some cover. They were spewing out blaster fire and every bolt found a mark, for there were too many to miss. Hunter ducked back and paused to reload. It was a wonder that they were still alive. After all, they’d entered the Blood Bath.

Thanks for the quick reply, Pottsie. I was still trying to fix the fonts and sizes. The whole Blood Bath Plaza thing I just made up as I went along. Originally, they were going to get in the command post in this chapter. I think that this works out well. I got the name for the Blood Bath Plaza from the IGN Guide while seaching for a script.

Btw, I noticed that you updated you're fic. I'll read that in a moment. I've been writing all morning.

More comments?

Thanks. How do you think that this fic compares to others in the CEC? I really can't tell because I can't really judge my own writing.

Oh, btw, I may as well advertise for [ART]Exodious Prime here. Check it out. ;) :http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=165358

Thanks. How do you think that this fic compares to others in the CEC? I really can't tell because I can't really judge my own writing.

Oh, btw, I may as well advertise for [ART]Exodious Prime here. Check it out. ;) :http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=165358

I've taken a look at Exodious Prime. I haven't replied though. But I will.

It isn't the best Fic in CEC, but it has a good chance of being a memorable Fic. There are many underrated Fics in CEC, including yours, Mr_BFA, Jason's and mine to name several. Everyone also has their own unique writing style.

Thanks. I was just wondering. This is my first fic so I might get better. Though I think that this mission is kind of easy to write because it has direction. You're going on a path, most of the time. Others, like Kashyyyk might be harder. I'll find a way to make it good, hopefully. I'll try to write a couple fics and make a name for myself by the time the 2006 awards come out, lol. Actually, I started writing this as kind of a practice for a trilogy of books that I was planning on writting. They're not related to Star Wars though.

Chapter 5: Blood Bath Plaza-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------//

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------//

Blood Bath Plaza – Mygeeto Mission Clock 04:30 //

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------//

Hunter checked his ammo count. He’d have to start using his ammo better if he wanted to survive, but there were so many droids. He poked his rifle out of his nook and unloaded the clip into the wall of advancing droids. Suddenly, one of Trandoshan mercenaries dropped down and landed on Max’s back; his rifle was pointed at the back of Max’s neck, ready to fire.

“No you don’t,” Hunter said casually, ejecting his vibro blade and plunging it into the back of the Trandoshan’s skull. Hunter lifted him up and smashed him into the wall, twisting his fist as he went. He removed his blade and let the body fall limp to the ground.

“Hunter, I’m in need of your fire,” Max said. Hunter looked and saw that the droid lines were just ten meters from their position.

“Alright he said. Just a minute.” Hunter grabbed the dead mercenary’s rifle and strapped on his ammunition belt. He reloaded and started firing. “We need to find another place to hide. Here, use this rifle too. You’ll take out more with two guns than with one.”

“Sure thing. What do you have in mind, Hunter?”

“I was thinking of taking the command post.”

“You’re crazy.”

“Yeah, well, I’d guess that we’d have better luck inside than out here,” Hunter said, finishing off another clip and switching to his pistol.

“True, but we can’t just leave Storm and Flash here out here.”

“We’ve got to get to them and mount another assault.”

“You mean go all the way back there?”

“I don’t know. Let’s just back up and find some cover to skip our way across,” Hunter suggested.

Max looked at the oncoming droids. “Why not. We’ll die if we stay here.”

“Great, let’s go.” Max packed up his stuff and kicked the dead mercenary as he passed. Then, as an afterthought, grabbed the mercenary’s grenades and lobbed them all at once at the advancing line of droids. There was a whump and it began to rain oil for a moment.

Hunter and Max pulled out their pistols and held them next to their cheeks, trying to blend in with the barricade surrounding the command post. More wet mercenaries started to drop from the roof of the command post, which loomed high above.

Hunter and Max ran to the sides and caught the Trandoshan mercenaries in crossfire. A puddle of green blood developed at the base of the barricade wall while the Trandoshans themselves remained strapped to their zip lines. Hunter aimed at one of their backpacks and squeezed the trigger on his pistol. The shot made contact and exploded, sending the mercenary skyward. The dead Trandoshan got caught on the zip line and was smashed back into the side of the CP, spattering even more blood.

“Why’d you do that?” Max asked.

“Come on, I’m just trying to have a little fun,” Hunter replied. The war had gotten to him. I would get to all of them. Their platoon-training sergeant had warned them.

Just then, a blaster bolt hit Hunter in the back. He fell to the ground and searched for the enemy that did it. He saw a droid and lined up its head in his pistol’s scope. The droid’s head disappeared in a flash of blue sparks. Then he drifted off…

---

Back at the assault checkpoint, Storm and Flash were faced with a difficult decision. They were outnumbered one to five, but they couldn’t just let themselves be captured while Max and Hunter got pummeled in the Blood Bath. “Drop your weapons,” the mercenary leader commanded.

Storm lowered his pistol from firing position; Flash stood up straight. “Attack,” Storm whispered into his helmet. They both brought their pistols up and shot simultaneously. Swiftly, they jabbed their vibro blades into the nearest mercenary and used his body for cover. They backed up and dove behind a rock.

“Flush, ‘em out,” the leader ordered, but they didn’t have a chance to. A well-placed grenade lay at their feet. The mercenary group didn’t even have a chance to scream before they were all dead.

“We’ve got to get to Max and Hunter,” Flash told Storm adjusting his equipment. Storm shot some plasma into one of the mercenary’s bodies that twitched. The twitching stopped. The war was getting to him too.

Storm let out a low chuckle. “Yeah, let’s go,” he said. One of the AT – RTs came towards their position and started wiping out the droids that filled the lines, were closing in on their position. Heavy lasers and mortar rounds ate away, leaving nothing but blackened ground and random flames.

Storm and Flash took advantage of the opportunity and stared across Blood Bath Plaza. They did a series of sprints and rolls to evade the droid’s blaster fire. Kin had it under control from the top of the AT – RT. What once was cool, blue ice ground was now a blacked pile of ash and different colors of blood, including metallic blue droid juices. That was what made up the bulk of the color. As they ran, this debris kicked up on their backs. They could see Max leaning over Hunter.

“Fierfek, what happened to Hunter?” Storm asked. They ran closer and Pi Squad came to greet them, two of their soldiers missing.

“It’s amazing that we survived that,” the leader of Pi Squad commented. I’m lucky to have one of my squadmates left.

“That was a pretty bad Blood Bath,” Max commented as he looked around at the environment. Even the sky was gray with war. “They never had anything like that in the simulations.”

“Amen, to that, brother,” Pi Lead said as Storm and Flash came to a halt near them. “I don’t think that they would have expected a surprise attack, especially by the Trandoshans. The AT – RTs swept what area’s they could for droids. The laser shields blocked their paths around the command post. It was once again clear of hostiles. “I guess we’d better be taking our positions. Good luck on the entry.”

“You too,” Max said. The two men of Pi Squad departed for their position.

Hunter started to rouse just as Commander Spike came through on their comm. system. “Alright forces, you’ve survived this long. Let’s capture that command post. I’m having our advisors patch your demo positions to your holo maps. Stand by.”

Hunter sat up. “Wow,” he said. “That was a good shot.”

“You’re lucky that your backpack took the brunt of the hit,” Flash commented.

“Yeah, well. Let’s just hope that some of my equipment still works.” Storm had checked the holo map and was already wiring a charge by the time the rest of Iota Squad caught up.

“Here’s the detonation remote, boss,” Storm said, handing Max the remote.

“Thanks, Storm. Get into breach formation around the detonation area,” Max ordered. The remote detonator consisted of a power pack and a ribbon that strung its way up and across the wall. A charge would go through it and blast its way in.

“Alright squads. Get ready,” Commander Spike said. “Now capture that command post. We’ll be there momentarily.” Iota Squad stood around the demolition area, pistols ready. Max squeezed the trigger and the wall caved in. Storm threw a routine grenade in before they infiltrated. It was clean, no hostiles.

“Iota Squad is in.”

Cool, I'm on page two, lol. Thanks for the reply. They're precious to me, lol. That chapter seemed a little choppy because the squad was split up. Also, it was a little unrealistic, but so is Star Wars. As long as you like it. :D

I don't blame you for deleting the Bouty Hunter. Not that it was bad, just that I know that I wouldn't be able to handle writing more than one fic at a time. I'm having trouble with this one. I'm trying to get a lot done this weekend. :)

Niner_777,when do you plan on posting Chapter V?And if you wouldn't mind,could you check out my fic?

I probably won't have the next chapter out until Monday. Though there is always a possibility, I put off my schoolwork for Sunday, lol.

I just finished reading your fic, Jason. I didn't notice it at first.

EDIT: forgot to write,

300FTW

Chapter 6: Capturing the Command Post--------------------------------------------------------------------------//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------//

Forward Command Post – Mygeeto Mission Clock 7:00 //

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------//

Inside the command post’s barrier was a pathway approximately three meters wide. The floor appeared to be made of a combination of metal and ice. Whatever it was, it made a deep clapping sound as Iota Squad’s feet pattered across it, heading for the stairs to the main entrance. There they would meet up with all the surviving 501st forces.

“This is creepy,” Flash commented, staring up the side of the command post. It was shaped like a circle, but it appeared to be straight because of its immense size.

“Roger that,” Hunter whispered slowly, walking backwards. Their backs were together, ready for an attack from all sides. They couldn’t afford to be reckless, especially after the Blood Bath Plaza incident. Hunter rubbed his back. He’d get a chance to look check out his wound after they had secured a position within the command post.

Hunter couldn’t wait until the rest of the 501st arrived. He didn’t like the feeling he got when he realized that if their squad got wiped out by something as simple as a grenade, the mission could go all wrong. In some ways, the fate of the galaxy rested on his shoulders. In another way, this made him feel good, feel invincible. He couldn’t say that he was yet. If he survived the Clone Wars then he’d know that it was true.

The stairs that would lead to the entrance of the command post were in sight, and Max could see Kappa Squad waiting for them at the top. Max broke into a run and signaled for the others to follow him. Hunter turned around just in time to see Caleb and the rest of Kappa Squad bring up their rifles and point them just behind Iota Squad. “What now?” Hunter asked turning back around to see three super battle droids bring up their wrist blasters and open fire.

Iota Squad performed the craziest acrobatics that they possibly could to dodge the blaster bolts. Hunter’s heart raced. There was no cover around. The walls were completely flat. A laser skimmed the top of his helmet, making a sizzling noise as it melted some of the plastic away.

Storm grabbed his rocket launcher and fed it a missile. “Permission, Lead?” he asked.

“Why not?” Max replied, providing cover for Storm. Storm aimed right for the middle SBD’s feet. “Fire!” Storm pulled the trigger, stowed his smoking weapon, and ran for the stairs in what seemed to be one movement. The rocket smashed into the SBD’s knees. It crumpled up with the force of the blast and then blew to pieces as the warhead inside ignited. Shrapnel punctured the armor of the two other super battle droids.

One piece flew through the air and dug its way into Flash’s arm plate, and he let out a grunt as he lost his footing and fell. At the same time, all of Kappa Squad unleashed their grenades in unison to destroy the remaining SBDs. Hunter stopped to help Flash get back up when a blaster bolt hit him in the back of his calf. He stumbled before he turned around and started shooting the droid with his pistol, still crouched over.

By then, the grenades landed at the feet of the droids. One of them kicked a grenade at Hunter and Flash. Hunter watched in slow motion as the grenade came closer and closer to his face. At the last second, he brought up his hands, almost involuntarily, and batted it away. When the grenade was about two meters away from him, it exploded, along with the rest of the grenades that were placed at the feet of the SBDs.

The blast knocked Hunter forward, and he landed hard on his shoulder. He screamed out in pain as little pieces of droid metal flew into his side facing the now destroyed droids.

“Are you two okay,” Max asked, running towards them, pausing to finish off one of the droid’s arms that was shooting randomly. Flash rolled over, his eyes wide inside his helmet.

“I think so,” Flash replied, yanking out the large piece of metal from his tricep. He tried to flex it and winced. “Yeah, I’ll be fine. Let’s just capture this command post.” Hunter didn’t say anything. He didn’t even move. He just lay on the ground, face down. Caleb ran over to him. Caleb was a trained medic. He’d always shown interest in it, but hoped that he’d never need the knowledge. This was war, and he was needed.

Caleb deftly pulled the pieces of shrapnel out of Hunter’s armor. “Does that feel any better?” he asked.

Hunter nodded, but didn’t say anything. “Are you okay?” Max asked again. Hunter stood up but there was no reply. He moved his arms around stiffly.

“I’m alive?” Hunter asked quietly. The vision of the grenade exploding flashed before him, and he jerked involuntarily.

“That’s right, brother,” Storm said casually. “Let’s get moving. Pi and Tau just arrived.” He pointed over to the main stairs leading up to another hallway, which appeared to circle the command post.

Max put his arm around Hunter. “Let’s get going.” Hunter picked up his pistol, which he had dropped when the grenade exploded.

“I’m alive,” Hunter said, satisfaction in his voice. He suddenly turned back to his professional self. “Right squads, lets move out. I’ll take Iota Squad on point. If our intel is correct, the entrance to the command center will be just a short stroll from our position.”

“Roger that,” the other squads said together.

“Um, remember that I’m in charge here,” Max whispered to Hunter as they jogged up the stairs to the hallway surrounding the command post.

“I’ll try to remember that, next time I have the urge to lead,” Hunter joked.

“I’m glad you’re okay.”

“Ditto here, Lead,”

When they reached the top, Max took control. “Like Iota seven-six said, we’ll take point. Once we get to the hallway we’ll wait for you to catch up. Kappa Squad, you’ll take the caboose. Once we get to the command center, we’ll surround it and assault it. Move out squads.”

Max led Iota Squad out in front. There were windows that lead into the command post, so they were forced to crouch as they moved along. They reached and entrance that led deeper into the command post. There, Iota Squad held up and signaled that they were going to enter.

Inside the hallway, it was pitch black. Max turned on his helmet spot lamp to provide some light. The others did the same when they reached the hallway. After about twenty minutes of walking, Hunter could see some dim lights from the main command center of the command post. It was raised on stairs and appeared to have more that one level. The rest of the 501st soldiers met up with Iota Squad at the end of the main hallway.

Flash zoomed in on the command center using his sniper rifle. There were a few wet commanders and a couple of droids. It disturbed Max that they hadn’t run into any hostiles along the way. Either they’d spent all their droids in their primary defense or they were planning to trap them in and attack until they were all dead.

“Or maybe they’re just stupid,” Flash commented, knowing what Max was thinking about.

“I hope so,” Max replied, and then turned his attention to the squads that were backed up behind him. “Kappa Squad will attack from this side. I’ll take my squad to the back. Your squads can pick if they want the left or right,” Max said. “Go ahead.”

Hunter pulled out his rifle and slapped one of his last clips in it. Iota Squad circled around and snuck up the stairs. “On my mark,” Max said, “we’ll go in. Ready?” He checked his rifle quickly. “Mark!” The soldiers smashed through the doors simultaneously.

Inside the command center were many computers that lined the walls. At some of the computers sat officers. Hunter brought his rifle up and squeezed the trigger. “One down,” he thought to himself. One of the droids turned around and took some shots. The bolts shattered one of the windows, but the droid didn’t have time to adjust its aim, for it was lying on the ground a second later.

“Nice job squads. Now let’s get this place up and running. We’ll need some people to scout out the rest of this command post eventually,” Caleb told the soldiers.

Max looked up and saw to his horror several of droids aiming at them from the upper levels of the command post. All of a sudden, all the lights came on inside the command post. He looked out the windows of the main command center into the rest of the compound. Droids started pouring out of other rooms that were within the whole command post.

Max motioned for the troopers to look up, and then shouted, “Find cover! We’re going to have to fight for this command center after all!”

Just to clear something up, the command center is the place where the area is monitored and where the commands come from. It is inside the command post, which includes the barracks, kitchens, armories, etc. I just thought that I'd try to clear that up as it wasn't really explained.

Archived