Home

[FIC]Amongst the Ruins

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Pottsie. I think that next I'll try to get out the enemy squad's profile.

The big bullets in this chapter are from a Verpine Shatter gun. I thought of that weapon while writing. :)

Thanks, Xbx_Inthusiast made it, as you probably already know. :)

Thanks, RC. I'm having a blast writing this and I think that it's making me a better writer. I've read through some of my older writing and I can definitely see improvement.

As a matter of fact, I'm typing up an old English assignment and posting it in the Ahto. While typing it, I've found lots of places where I could improve.

Once again, thanks all.

As a matter of fact, I'm typing up an old English assignment and posting it in the Ahto. While typing it, I've found lots of places where I clould improve.

Once again, thanks all.

Clould (Could) improve? :lol: Anyway I thought RC made the Sig, but anyway I'm looking foward to the next Chapter.

Jupiter Squad:

Name: Trando

Squad: Jupiter

Squad Role: Leader

Weapons: Verpine shatter gun, Slug sidearm pistol, ACP array shotgun, various grenades, vibro blade

Equipment: Trandoshan commando armor, binoculars, ommlink, other standard Trandoshan equipment

Bio: Showed exceptional ability in training. Placed in Jupiter Squad and assigned the mission of resisting the 501st movements.

Name: Drazil

Squad Role: Demolitions

Weapons: Rocket Launcher, Slug sidearm pistol, ACP submachine gun, various grenades, vibro blade

Equipment: Trandoshan commando armor, detpacks, ribbon charges, commlink, other standard Trandoshan equipment

Bio: Showed exceptional ability in training. Placed in Jupiter Squad and assigned the mission of resisting the 501st movements.

Name: Thor

Squad Role: Engineer/Technician

Weapons: ACP submachine gun, Slug sidearm pistol, ACP array shot gun, various grenades, vibro blade

Equipment: Trandoshan commando armor, commlink, other standard Trandoshan equipment, fusion cutter, med packs

Name: AD-10

Squad Role: Sniper/Scout

Weapons: Droid sniper rifle, wrist blaster, wrist rockets, vibro blade

Equipment: Advanced droid plating, commlink, other standard Trandoshan assassin droid equipment

Bio: Showed exceptional ability during test results. Placed in Jupiter Squad and assigned the mission of resisting the 501st movements.

This is just some background info. There are likely to be mistakes, as I am quite tired. Anyways, if you see anything that I could improve on, please inform me. (droid sniper, equipment, trando rocket launcher, etc.)

The next chapter is on its way.

Chapter 12: Clearing the Way------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forward Command Post – Mygeeto Mission Clock 14:00

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hunter rubbed his shoulder plate. Max had just finished putting some bacta on it. “But what about,” Hunter began.

“Like you were saying,” Max replied, “we’ve got a mission to do.” Hunter grabbed Max’s arm and stood up, stretching his legs.

“Alright,” Flash began, “the fire points are on this level. We’re going to need to set up a rig to get the rocket launcher to the next fire point on time.”

“Like Caleb said, we’ve got a very small timeframe to work with here,” Max added.

“We’ve got two fire points and one rocket launcher,” Storm commented, sweeping the area with his pistol. “What was Caleb thinking?”

“None of us thought that we’d have to use these secondary fire points,” Max pointed out. “You’re lucky Kappa Squad got us these points. With those turrets functional, we’ve got no reinforcements. If we don’t have any reinforcements, this campaign is going to be a lot harder than it is now.”

“Wait a minute,” Hunter interrupted. “How many rockets do we have?” Storm quickly glanced down at the rockets secured to his legs.

“Three,” he replied.

“I bet that I can take the warhead out of one of those and turn it into a thruster for the rocket launcher. We can shoot it down a cable,” Hunter suggested. “It’s only fifty meters to the next fire point, right?”

Max took out his holo map of the command post. “Sixty-seven, actually.”

“That’ll still work,” Hunter replied.

“That sounds better than having me run it seventy meters,” Storm said.

“Much better,” Flash mumbled, looking down at his feet. Storm grunted in response.

“Okay, squad,” Max began, “Hunter, you and Flash take the first fire point. Strap the thruster rocket to the launcher before firing at the turret. Is everyone ready?”

Static hissed through Hunter’s comm. system until finally, Caleb’s voice broke through. “Are you in position, Iota?”

“Negative, Kappa Lead,” Max replied. “ETA two minutes.”

“Get on it then, the rest of us are in position. Gunships are standing-by.”

“Roger that,” Max said. “We’re moving out now. One-sided breach maneuver on this entrance, squad.”

“Roger, Lead,” Hunter said, squeezing himself to the wall next to the entrance to the outer hallway of the Forward Command Post.

“Mark!” Max shouted over the squad comm. Flash stepped across the threshold to the outer hallway, quickly followed by the rest of Iota Squad. Flash stepped to the side to allow his squad mates to fan out throughout the corridor.

Hunter spotted a small glowing control panel about ten meters to their ten. “There’s the first fire point.”

“Okay, Hunter, get to work on our thruster rocket. Flash, open up that terminal when Caleb tells you to and you shoot the rocket. The target turret should be straight out that window and down a couple hundred meters,” Max ordered. “Storm and I will go to the second fire point.”

Storm tossed two rockets and the rocket launcher to Hunter and kept the third rocket for himself. Hunter slid one rocket into the loading port of the launcher and passed the whole thing to Flash who was standing next to the control panel. “See you in a bit,” Storm said.

Max dug out a roll of cable from his pack and attached it to his utility belt. The other end he drilled securely into the ground. “This is our guideline,” he told them. “Attach the launcher to grappling hook so that it doesn’t get loose. We can’t afford this weapon going out of control.”

“Roger that,” Hunter replied, taking the grappling hook.

“Good luck everybody,” Max said before turning around and fading into the darkness of the corridor that stretched out before their eyes.

Hunter bent down to work on taking the warhead out of the rocket. Flash stood overhead, sweeping the area for hostiles. Hunter took out his fusion cutter and sliced off the top of it, exposing wires. He hated to waste a perfectly good warhead, but the situation called for it.

“Are you in position?” Caleb yelled over the comm. system.

“Almost there,” Max replied, his breath coming in deep rasps. “You ready, Hunter?”

It was difficult to work in the low light conditions that filled the command post. “Almost,” Hunter said slowly. He could feel sweat dripping down his forehead. He reached to wipe it away, but his hand only brushed against his helmet. Hunter shook his head in an attempt to concentrate, to remove all outside interference, and to see what he was doing. He clipped the wires that were attached to the warhead. That should deactivate the warhead, allowing the rocket to propel the launcher to the designated point without causing an explosion. He then placed a small antenna piece into the rocket so he could launch it remotely.

Hunter handed the modified rocket to Flash who already had the grappling hooks attached to the rocket launcher and had a strip of adhesive tape already on hand. Flash quickly fastened the rocket in place. “We’re ready here,” he said.

“Ditto Iota on point two,” Max added. “We’re all in positions.”

“I copy,” Caleb replied from within the command center. “Open up those hatches and quickly get acquainted with you’re target. We’ll fire on my mark.”

“Gunships are standing-by,” Echo’s voice came through the comm. all the way from the LAAT/I Gunship hovering several kilometers above them.

Flash keyed the control panel and the thick metal plate slid to the side revealing a piece of clear plastic. The night was black, but the moons provided small portion of reflected sunlight. Flash brought the scope of the rocket launcher to his eye. The darkness was quickly replaced by a placid blue screen. The turret’s outline was visible against the cerulean background.

“Did you find it?” Hunter queried.

“I’ve got it,” Flash replied. He magnified the infrared contrast to make the turret stand out more. It now lit up his vision with an orange glow. “I’m locking on now.” The rocket weapon locked on to the infrared source with ease. “It’s mine.”

“Ready?” Caleb asked the entire platoon. The platoon comm. channel filled with voices. Not one voice was unready to carry out the operation. “All teams are go.”

“Gunships are coming in,” Echo announced. “Be prepared to take evasive action, pilots. Fire at will, Kappa Lead.” Hunter came up next to Flash and punched in the order to open the plastic cover into the control panel. It did as it was told.

Cold fresh air swept its way into the Forward Command Post through the outlet in the wall. The turrets infrared signature became stronger. Hunter could hear the distant sound of a gunship engine as the turret turned toward the command post. He couldn’t help but watch with fear and excitement.

“Get ready, marines,” Caleb began. “In three, two.” The gunship engine sound became increasingly loud. They must’ve been right on top of the command post. The turrets quickly swiveled in the direction of the enemy air vehicles. “Fire!”

Flash didn’t hesitate at all. He silently pulled the trigger. Smoke emitted from the back of the rocket launcher with a whoosh, somewhat balancing the force of the rocket soaring from the front. The turret didn’t have a chance to fire at the gunships, for by the time they had the option, the rocket had punched its way through the turret’s armor and the warhead had detonated. A shower of debris littered the area surrounding the smoking epicenter of the explosion. Tendrils of smoke quietly slithered into the night sky.

Hunter was already relieving Flash of the smoking rocket launcher when he heard the steady staccato articulation of automatic rifle fire. He couldn’t look back to see its source, for Max and Storm were waiting on them. Hunter secured the weapon on the cable and pressed a remote trigger that would propel the rocket launcher to its next destination.

He turned around to see Flash chuck a thermal detonator into the advancing enemies. There was a loud thump and the corridor lit up about thirty meters to their twelve o’clock. Green blood spattered the walls, floor, and ceiling. Hunter analyzed it for a moment. “We’ve got Trando mercs!”

“Try to hold them off,” Max said. “They’ve pinned us down over here too. We’ve got the rocket launcher, but we can’t shoot it.”

“You mean that there is still another turret out there?” Hunter asked, flattening himself against a wall and shooting into the darkness once again.

“You heard m…” Max was cut off by a rumbling explosion. Fire lit up the hallway in the Max and Storm’s direction.

“What was that?” Flash shouted into the comm.

“Iota fire point two has been hit,” Caleb announced. “The turret is still active. Do you copy, air support?”

“Roger that,” Echo said. “I think that I can take care of him. Firing run now.” Hunter heard the squeal of the LAAT/I Gunship’s acceleration quickly followed by a loud explosion. The night was momentarily lit up, and then returned to its normal state.

“Good work, soldiers. All turrets have been destroyed and reinforcements are on their way. Rendezvous at Hangar 7, level C14,” Caleb told them. “Do you read me, Iota Lead?” There was no reply.

Just to clear something up quickly, the original Iota Fire Point was between the two target turrets. Since they were thrown off course during the battle in the bridge conjunction, they had to find alternative firepoints. These fire points however weren't between the two target turrets. Do you get what I'm saying? Basically, since they were thrown off course, they couldn't shoot from the optimal fire point (the original fire point). Instead, they had to use two close fire points, sacrificing simplicity for time. I hope that that made sense. It's really not that important though, just an explination of why they couldn't take out both turrets from one window.

Comments please. :)

EDIT: I just got your response, Pottsie. Thanks. Actually, I was planning on doing all of the BF2 ground missions. However, since this one is taking me so long, that might not happen. As long as I'm having fun writing it and you're having fun reading it.

do you mean the right-left length? if so, there's nothing we can do about it. i think it might be a glitch.

@ Niner: excellent work, palo. you're progressing extremely slow and cool :D. but the chapters are worth the wait. keep an eye out for my next chapter tomorrow :)

That's odd. You mean that each paragraph is only one line going across the page?

I have this issue as well, it is in your post on the title section, it is one contiguous line that stretches the post out sideways. Remeber those title bar lines near your title will stretch the window out sideways if they are too long. They do not 'wrap' as they read as one long line.

So Niner_777 I have fixed it in your last chapter 12 post, I suggest you use a similar format to what I edited it to above for your titles so it doesn't get all stretched out again. Just a suggestion. ;)

Example: The Stretched out Chapter 11 Post, vs. my above edit to Chapter 12, see the difference in the title bars, that's your culprit.

Archived