Home

Darth Malak's Namesake

MdKnightR

I know what you are probably thinking...we've been over it a thousand times. The formula for dark lords of the Sith is typically taking a word that describes evil things and converting it into a name. I suppose that is true of Malak as well, as his name sounds an awful lot like the word Malice. However, I have found another evil character with that same name from years ago...

I totally forgot about this one: Malak Al Rahim. This is the name of the maniacal terrorist (played by none other than Gene Simmons ) in a movie called Wanted: Dead or Alive from 1987 that starred Rutger Hauer. With this in mind, its no wonder that I thought the KISS song "War Machine" would be a great theme song for Darth Malak. So I wonder....coincidence? Your thoughts?

I didn't have any idea that it was Latin for Jaw. Pretty good idea!

The name 'Malak' is possibly derived from the spanish word 'Malo' which means bad. The prefix 'Mal' is bad. For example the word 'Malevolent' with 'mal' being the prefix means evil. I would stick with Darth Moeller's latin idea because of Malak's physical condition. It also fits with Malak's character since he was jawless.

Mal- \Mal-\ (m[a^]l-).

A prefix in composition denoting ill, or evil, F. male, adv.,

fr. malus, bad, ill. In some words it has the form male-,

as in malediction, malevolent. See Malice.

[1913 Webster]

Just a theory. :)

Archived