Home

Best Star wars EU books

Vaelastraz

I'm just sick of people saying that something's utter crap just because they don't like some of the events that happen in the storyline or some of the characters.

It's their rightful opinion. If they didn't like several events in the storyline, I think it's quite justified to hate it.

In my definition something's crap if the story is stupid and not written properly and, of course, if the characters aren't presented adequately. Maybe this is the case with the NJO, but all I've heard so far were whinings because a certain character died.

Have you actually read a lot about this famous controversy? My guess would be no. Yes, some hate is about this certain character dying but let's get serious, they all die one day. What they didn't like is how he died. To be honest, it was quite lame, in my opinion of course.

They also didn't like the introduction of the Yuuzhan Vong, not because they make a bad evil menace, but because people (I include myself) felt that this new specie was against Star Wars philosophy. KotOR followed this philosophy and it got a huge fan following. Everyone agreed that the story was amazing.

The list can go on and on.

It's really controversial and there's no way out it. My guess, is that if those books never bore the words "Star Wars" on their covers, there would be no debate whatsoever. People would like it as some other sci-fi franchise.

I just started the Dark Nest Trilogy. Below is one of my reasons for not liking 'NJO'. I respect everyone elses perspective. After reading the first several chapters of the Dark Nest Trilogy, I can honetly say that 'NJO' is not ment for everyone. Even after 21 books, they have not gotten it right.

(Major Spoiler)

You do sense the absence of the walking carpet. I think they have failed in bridging the gap in character relationships. Han feels very hollow, and he keeps looking for his old buddy. There are somethings that you just don't step on. I have also read somewhere that Lucas didn't want any of the characters to be killed off. Truthfuly, I have to agree with him. The Norghi (sp?) can't replace Chewy. Han and Chewy have this bond that could not be matched or replaced. Han feels like he is always looking for Chewy to back him up eventhough he is not there. The author also seems to miss Chewy.

Han has become too dependant on Leia. He was also one of those independant characters, which became domesticated. That is not my thing.

Mara's Characteristics are off. Even after she married Luke, Mara was still a character that was independant. Very independant. If I were to predict Mara's direction after reading Zahn's books, I don't believe she would have joined up with the Jedi. I think she would have been one of those 'Gray' Jedi that I keep hearing about. Qui-Gon type.

I don't mind reading 700 pages of a novel, and I encourage reading as much as possible. I just don't recommend 'NJO'.

Well, since we're reviving the books discussion I just want to say that I've finished reading the Hand of Thrawn and I have to say that it's really really good. A great introduction to the NJO. (Now, I'm taking a little break until I finish that fic of mine, then I'm finally gonna check out these dreaded NJO books.)

Archived