Home

[FIC]Heart of Deception

Very interesting, JM12, and very very nice, though I must admit that I didn't quite understand the beginning of the chapter. Was it some kind of vision, or flashback, or something else? It sounded as interesting as the rest of the chapter, but I'd like to know what exactly was it. Besides this everything else was perfectly clear and very nicely portrayed. :)

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first portion was what the children saw in their dreams. It is meant to indicate what Kirabaros is going through right now if you remember the bit about him going into the temple alone and Traya and Tergis were watching him. More insight as to the nature of the kids' Force Sensitivity. I hoped you liked the fight scene. I have one more concerning the Shaak Ti and there might be a twist of surprise though I won't say yet. Glad that you liked it.

I sense something familiar. A presence I thought

This is a reference to Vader.

The warrior looked at the Jedi. He knew what was going to happen next. He didn’t know if he was willing to make the same choice again.[/i]

Was this all supposed to be in Italics?

Anyway, enough with my rambling, another good Chapter and I'm looking foward to more.

Topsite: That whole first section is supposed to be in italics. I suggest you read the explanation that I gave igyman when he asked me about it. He was quicker on the response than you. You are getting slow there old man. As to the Vader reference, that was completely intentional. If you remember, Michaela sent him flying out the window on Nar Shaddaa. We'll see how revelations go.

Anakin: Nice to see reading my work. Just don't become like Topsite and have my send the infamous flying manuscript after you. Topsite is still nursing the wounds. Also beware of my killer pencil Kujo. He goes after Topsite's Sera Tana series with a vengenance :lol:

I hope you consider reading Heart of the Guardian. In this fic there are references to that body of work and may help understand the circumstances a bit more.

• 4 weeks later...

I know that it's been almost a month since I posted my last chapter. I spoke the truth in my new set of drabbles I Met My Muse Online and Other Short Stories. That speaks the truth about why it took so long with this chapter. To be honest I am still not completely satisfied with it but it works with the rest of the story. On top of that I am preparing to graduate in June with my BA and I am concentrating on the first pet project that I had been working on: Legends of Time: The Book of Ages. So without further ado I give you:

Chapter 46

Draconis was pleased yet disappointed. After his riveting speech of how the Avalonians fired upon Republic vessels, the senators refused to declare war on Avalon. Apparently Senator Amstar had managed to convince them to stop fighting and explained the reason for Avalon’s defense of their freighters. Equally damaging to his plans was the fact that High Admiral Dodonna sent a message stating that bombarding vessels heavily damaged the port at Alderaan along with the Avalonian’s property. It only confirmed to the senators that someone was playing them for fools. They, well a majority were willing to stand by Avalon. There were a few systems that fervently believed that Avalon had masterminded the whole thing. They withdrew from the Senate and had immediately begun mobilizing.

Meanwhile Draconis had Keegan instruct them where to meet. Keegan was influential with like-minded senators and they were ready to go. What had Draconis waiting was a transmission from his contract. He was sitting in his debriefing room waiting on his ship when Keegan walked in and announced, “Everything is on schedule Lord Draconis.”

“Excellent,” he replied. He was stalled from replying more when a transmission came through. He motioned for Keegan to stand by him as he said, “I have been expecting your call.”

The miniature hooded blue figure gave a smile and replied, “I have arrived.”

“Where?” Keegan asked. He thought that the contract was going to find Revan and wanted to know.

“Tatooine. It is sparsely populated but with the commotion going on, I found them quickly,” the figure replied.

“Guards?” Draconis asked, his pleasure well concealed.

“They are around the adults. Two are accounted for. The third should not be that far away.”

“Move against the Jedi first. Do what you have to but bring the three of them alive to Yavin. You shall have no trouble demanding for your prize’s head,” Draconis ordered firmly.

“At last we can find peace. At last you will have revenge.”

“Don’t underestimate their capabilities but you have done your work well. I suspect they will be no match for you,” Draconis replied, “There can be no mistakes this time.”

“Yes milord. I will report when I have them,” and the blue hooded figure disappeared.

Draconis turned towards Keegan, sensing the question hanging on is tongue. He said, “Don’t worry. Like all parents, she will demand that they will not be harmed. She will exchange her life for theirs much like Kirabaros.”

“Was this what you had in mind all along?” Keegan couldn’t help but ask.

“I admit that there were times that I thought that Kirabaros would ruin my plans but in the end, they proceeded forward. Don’t worry. I sense that Kirabaros is reluctant to do what he must. He has been ever since the Miako incident.” Draconis had turned his attention to the datapad that was on the table. He looked at it intently but not really seeing it.

“The what incident?”

“Nothing that you need to concern yourself with. It is of no consequence. Kirabaros will fall as well as all those who had supported him including your Jedi enemy,” Draconis replied firmly. There was no need for him to divulge about Miako. That was a story for another time.

The day was long but everyone had to keep working and build up defenses and get those that couldn’t fight, the young and old, towards the caves for safety. Lady Mara watched as the long line of children and the elderly made their way from the settlement towards the caves just as the line of warriors walked in from a neighboring settlement. She sighed as she walked through checking the defense systems and arranging takeoff sites for the ships that had arrived from Avalon. Amarante joined her at the village square. He asked, “My lady, is there anything else we should make ready?”

Lady Mara gazed at the elderly Avalonian. He was not so old that he couldn’t fight, at least in terms of Avalonian age. As much as she needed every able-bodied warrior on the front, she needed leaders to lead the various tribes should something happen. She contrived to make him see this by responding, “Everything is well but I am concerned about the head of the tribe. What will happen should the tribe lose its leader?”

“The same as with anything else. A new one shall be named. He will be named for his courage, his skill and his leadership,” Amarante responded. He was shrewd enough to guess what was on the Lady Governor’s mind and he took the opportunity to remind her of the laws of nature; the laws of their people.

Mara recognized the lesson and realized that she was not going to win this battle. She signaled her acceptance by replying, “Then I defer to the wisdom of the people.”

They walked on inspecting when a young warrior brought a message that a transmission was coming through. When asked, he said that it was coming from Amshrey. With that, Lady Mara and Amarante set of for the communications console to receive the transmission.

Juhani had no idea what to tell everyone when everyone asked where Kirabaros was. She told the truth of course that he rode off into the forest after they had a heated exchange of words. When he didn’t come back in the morning, for a strange reason, she didn’t panic. She was upset that he wasn’t there but she knew that he wasn’t in any trouble. She stressed this when queried by Jolee and later by Canderous. In the end she suggested that they leave him be, that he would eventually tell them what he was going to do. That became a subject of debate and that was what they were discussing when Kex came saying that there was a transmission from Coruscant.

Jolee responded be asking, “Well out with it sonny. I ain’t gettin’ any younger here.”

“Just that there is a message from a Jedi Karas for all of you,” Kex replied, “He says that while the Republic is behind Avalon, there are a few systems who have decided to wage war.”

“Query: Will there be any necessary bloodshed?” HK entered into the conversation.

“Pipe down you bucket of bolts,” Jolee and Canderous replied at the same time. Jolee continued, “Did he say where or when?”

“He said something about a defense of Yavin and a Lady Mara being in charge. It became garbled until it cut off,” Kex replied shrugging.

“I guess we’re going to have do this without the kid,” Canderous replied after dismissing Kex.

“The best thing that Karas would do is to send Jedi to the settlements on Yavin IV,” Juhani stated. She gazed at everyone with her yellow eyes, “They will need help from the skies as well. Perhaps Canderous can have his Mandalorians provide aide in a space fight.”

The fact that she deferred to a Mandalorian for a suggestion was a mark of how much people could change. When she first traveled with Revan, she was wary of the Mandalorian, distrustful after what they had done to her people during the Mandalorian wars. Traveling, looking for the Star Maps, changed her opinion. She trusted Canderous. In fact he was the one who found her most precious secret with her. Canderous knew this and said, “That won’t be a problem. This Lady Mara is going to need all the help she can get.”

“Alright then let’s get moving. My feet are just itching for a jog,” Jolee groused. It hid his apprehension behind the annoyance. Kirabaros had disappeared and he sensed that Juhani knew that and wasn’t telling. He was going to find out.

“I’ll send a transmission to Yavin IV and let them know that we are coming,” Canderous offered.

“I’ll get the ship ready,” Mission piped up. There was no way she was going to stay out of this one. She started to take off towards the ship when she stopped to look at the older members, “What about Kirabaros?”

“I’ll make sure he can leave Blue. Don’t worry about it. He isn’t stupid,” Canderous replied.

“Ok then.” Mission was still uncertain. Kirabaros was a good friend next to her three favorite people in the galaxy.

“Go on and get the ship ready. Shoo, shoo!” Jolee added.

Mission and Canderous left to do what they said they would do, leaving Jolee alone with Juhani. As soon as they were gone, Jolee rounded on Juhani and said, “Well out with it missy. You know something about Kirabaros.”

Knowing that it would be pointless to lie, Juhani replied, “He is still on the planet. He took off into the forest after we exchanged a few words.”

“What words?” Jolee asked in a no nonsense voice.

“About an agreement,” Juhani replied, not willing to tell. When she saw the look on Jolee’s face, she caved in. “We were arguing over Juntau.”

“Who’s Juntau?” Jolee asked.

“One of my people. What you call my son but not my son,” Juhani replied. She kept her yellow eyes downward.

Jolee realized why now. He knew that Kirabaros kept secrets to the death. He could only imagine what exactly they were arguing about but he had a good idea. He spoke, “He always thinks he has to deal with things alone. I think he believes that if he were the one to bear every terrible thing, he is only hurting himself. Stubborn kid.”

“He became silent afterwards. He mentioned something about Miako or something. What was he talking about?” Juhani continued, relieved that she wasn’t going to harm Juntau by telling.

Jolee paused when he heard the word Miako. You still feel guilty for that don’t you kid? Jolee thought to himself. He remembered how Kirabaros was after the incident. He was there when Kirabaros spoke to the Miraluka and saw how she reacted. He understood now why all the deception and the strange maneuvers: Kirabaros had little to no confidence in his abilities. Jolee knew that Juhani was waiting for an answer. He crafted his reply, “Miako was the last mission that Darius was on. You remember him?”

“Yes. He was exiled after the Mandalorian wars. Miako was his last mission?”

“He died when he and Kirabaros escaped. Ever since then, the lad doesn’t believe in himself any more.”

Juhani looked at Jolee as he finished. It was hard to believe that Kirabaros had so little confidence. He just never showed it. It didn’t occur to her then that under Bushida, to show no confidence was weakness. As far as she knew, it was pride that kept him from admitting his feelings. With this in mind she asked, “Do you think that he left us to decide what to do?”

“I think so. There is little more we can do for him so I suggest we head to Yavin IV. When and if he is ready, he will find us,” and Jolee led the way towards the ship.

And there you go. JM12 is back with a vengeance! :D As always the chapter was very nicely done. As you can probably imagine, the part that was most amusing to me was HK's little interruption. As I've said in the PM a few minutes ago, I'm glad the writer's block is over and (I'll have to borrow this one from P... Topsite, hopefully he won't mind) I'm looking forward to more exciting chapters. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Thank you igyman. I'm glad that the worst is over. I am still suffering a bout but it isn't as bad as before. I hope to have another chapter soon. This chapter was hard because I was trying to think of what to say especially reveal Kirabaros' long kept secret about Miako.

Very funny about the grasshopper CSI. Again I thank you all for the comments. I actually have almost completed a new chapter having finally gottne back on the train track. I am going to go slow just to stimulate the creative juices some more but I do have some ideas and I am nearing the big showdown at the end. There might be some surprises but I haven't decided yet. Stay tuned.

Ok here is another chapter. I think this is the worst one there is but I'll leave you to judge. Still in deep recovery from my writer's block though for my archaeology story, nothing is wrong. Strange eh? Well here you go.

Chapter 47

Revan was beside herself. That last day was one that was a disappointment and yet a surprise. She could hardly believe that it had been possible. She had tried so hard and yet she lost but she had also won. Now, there were nothing but tears and they weren’t for joy.

It had boiled down to Revan facing off with Bekura, the Masked Stranger, in a match that was to decide who would go against Debula. She was surprised that this little man was able to best Rowan and Rowan was a seasoned warrior! Watching Bekura as he bobbed and weaved around Rowan, Revan saw that Rowan was having a hard time keeping up with the Masked Stranger. Bekura moved very much like any other Bushida warrior with some modification to compensate for his height. There was something else about him though. He moved much like someone else, someone dear and familiar.

Watching Bekura, Revan thought about Kirabaros. She wondered if he was all right. Caelos mentioned that Mission called and said that they had been able to rescue him from Draconis but no details were given. If that vision she had of pain and suffering was any indicator, he must have been in a sorry state. Her heart wanted to cry but she knew she had to be strong. Her gaze drifted to Michaela and Carth, both whom were watching the Masked Stranger. She noticed that they were watching with a piqued interest, almost as if they know who Bekura was. She had no time to think about it for Bekura had Rowan on his back and conceding the match. The Masked Stranger would fight her next.

Atton was interested in the Masked Stranger. He had seen that fighting style before only it was different, as if to account for the little man’s short stature. There was no mistaken that it was Tulre. He was able to see Michaela where everyone else was at and he noticed that she was interested and had a sort of smile on her face. Why she wasn’t worried, he had no clue but he knew he would be worried if it was Morgan out there.

Almost as if she knew what he was thinking of and not considering why, Kiera placed a hand on his shoulder. She gave a gentle squeeze, “I’m sure Michaela knows what she’s doing.”

“I can see that,” Atton replied still watching. He noticed her hand but said nothing. It had been a long time since a woman had touched him like that. A long time since Mira and yet it felt right. He didn’t even jerk when her hand slid to the small of his back. He didn’t even notice that Morgan was watching them, his eyes shining.

It was sickening to watch the display of affection. He wondered how it was that the traitor always managed to get the pretty ones. He did figure out that it was a distraction. Hell, if he wanted to, he could grab the little brat and the traitor wouldn’t be none for the wiser. It was sound but he didn’t want to. It was better for him to wait until the traitor was watching. The look on his face would be worth all the wait. So he would wait…until he had all three of them together. So he waited and watched.

It was the moment that Revan dreaded. She was to face Bekura now and determine who would fight to the death with Debula. She was now determined to win this. She walked to the circle with her blade out and stood at the spot she was assigned to. It was unexpected when Bekura walked in and face her with an air of defiance, his short blade drawn. Through his mask, she could see a glint in his eyes and yet he was so little. He twirled his blade and smirked at her, almost as if to tease her.

Revan didn’t like the fact that he was smirking at her. She could almost sense a mockery coming from him but she tried to not let it bother her. She assumed a position that was suitable for her. She gave a silent prayer that she wouldn’t hurt the little man but her blood was rising and she felt an urge to put him in his place. She almost paid for it when she missed the call to begin and nearly received a swipe on her knee from Bekura. It called her to attention and she responded.

The fight was entertaining to crowd, not that Michaela noticed. Most mothers would have criticized her for allowing her son to participate in such a bloody event but she knew better. He was his father’s son but unlike his father, he had the spirit that had become suppressed in his father. Besides she knew that he had to see what it was like. She couldn’t protect him forever.

She watched as the Masked Stranger toyed with Revan. She figured that he must have watched other people fight for Kirabaros was never one to toy with his opponents. He let Revan get close but not close enough until he managed to get her frustrated so that she attacked carelessly and left herself open to attack.

Revan realized too late that she had been duped into attacking. She had given a hard thrust that Bekura was able to duck. She couldn’t avoid the lump that was his feet and her momentum carried her forward to the ground. She had hit the ground hard and her blade slid out of her grasp. It was over and she knew it but she wasn’t going to give up. She turned around to face Bekura standing above her with his blade pointed at her. He spoke in perfect Avalonian but the warrior’s dialect, “You fight well but you don’t follow your heart,” and backed away to allow her to get up.

Revan looked at the short man before her and sat up as he backed away. She couldn’t believe that he was allowing her to get up. Knowing that it was foolish to not get up, she got up and picked up her blade. She faced Bekura who assumed a back stance position. She assumed hers and then pivoted off. She clashed with Bekura who spouted, “Good. You have unleashed who you are,” the warrior dialect rang in her ears.

Revan responded by fighting harder, oblivious to the roaring of the crowds. It was futile however for Bekura bested her by knocking her blade away and then making her trip again. She had no choice but to concede the match and let Bekura win. When it was declared that he was the winner, he muttered, “Don’t worry. You’ll have the winnings, Reva.”

Revan took a closer look and recognized the old look in the little man’s eyes. She didn’t want to say his name for fear of being overheard. She said nothing as she stood up and stared at Tulre who saluted her in the proper manner one did. She didn’t hear the announcer or anyone as she walked off to the side. She realized that Tulre was going to fight to the death with Debula. There was a strong chance that he could be killed and Michaela could do nothing to stop it.

Atton couldn’t believe it. The kid had beaten an adult, well not just any adult but Revan herself. Like everyone who knew who the Masked Stranger was, they knew that he could get hurt. Well he could sense that from everyone but Michaela. Atton was disturbed by the fact that she wasn’t worried but rather had the expression that she was interested in what will happen. He was brought out of his thoughts when Morgan tugged on his sleeve and said, “He will win. You’ll see.”

Kiera heard him and asked, “How do you know that?”

Morgan looked at the two of them and solemnly said, “I just know.”

“That’s not a good answer,” Atton replied. “Did you have a vision?”

“How did you know it was Tulre, Papa?” was the answer. Morgan then turned his gaze to the arena to where everyone else is. He then said, “They’re expecting us down there,” and started heading towards the stairs.

Revan was silent as Tulre took a breather and got ready for the championship match. She barely heard Mamesa when she said that they would find another way to raise the money for the parts. She was upset that Michaela was not exhibiting any concern at all. There was nothing, almost like when Kirabaros cut her off for a time through their bond; everything was all void to her. She held her breath as she watched little Tulre trudge to meet Debula.

Thanks you two. Truly I was trying my best but you can't force the mind to work while recovering from writer's block and suffering a brain fart. I have the next chapter in the works and let's just say that it picks up where I left off in the last chapter. Thanks again for all your comments.

• 1 month later...

Well at long last I have finished another chapter in this story. Believe me it is no easy feat when your mind is half consumed by the story of a female archaeologist who insists on making life a veritable hell for her assigned companion. You can check out the excerpt thread in the Outer Rim board.

Anyway, I have finished another chapter and it is quite interesting since I gave an interesting twist at the end. I started on the chapter following it and It is coming along rather creepy like but it gives some explanation for the future and is just an update on characters.

Chapter 48

Tulre stood in the dueling circle staring at Debula as he was flourishing his weapon. He was scared but he remembered what his Dada once said, that he was to use his instincts and let the Force flow. He didn’t understand it but he thought that would work for the Shaak Ti and it did. He even beat his Aunt Reva and he thought her to be the best, next to his Dada of course. Now he was going up against Debula, one of the best there was to be. He steadied his breathing as he watched Debula walk to his spot, eyeing him through the mask he wore.

The contrast in height was a cruel one but it was no different than him standing next to Rowan. Tulre was aware that his greatest disadvantage was his height and size. No one believed a five year old capable of administering a punch with enough power to make a dent. His Dada taught him that if you hit in a good spot, you can drop your foe and make him remember nothing but how much it hurts. However the greatest advantage was his speed and size. He could move faster and maneuver in ways that the older and more experienced warriors couldn’t. He knew he could give a good show and he had to win otherwise Aunt Reva and Uncle Carth would be stuck here. He had a lot to prove and he kind of wanted to show Lilah not to be afraid.

Seeing that Debula was standing there, at ease, Tulre relaxed slightly. The announcer finished announcing that it was a fight to the death and whoever won would receive the highest honor and glory. It was greeted by cheers but Tulre kept his eye on Debula. He was wary of Debula since Debula was known to cheat and play dirty. It wasn’t like how his Dada fought Serena Lightstar but there was plenty of need to watch out for cheap shots. The announcer then finished and asked the combatants to take their positions.

Tulre watched as Debula slid into a standard stance with his blade held pointed up. It was a basic stance for fencing or even introducing swordplay. Tulre wasn’t going to underestimate his capabilities though since he knew that even his Dada played that way too. Still to even things up, he himself took a simple stance. The intent was to make it appear that he was not as tough as perceived though that would be hard considering that he did manage to beat contestants bigger than he was. He held his blade with a firm grip, confident in the upgrades that he put on it. His breathing slowed to a steady tempo as the referee called to be ready and then the call came and Debula came at him running.

Michaela should be worried like any mother should when their son was in danger. Yet she was not as worried as she should have been. It made it seem as if she had no feelings for her son but truth be told, she was more worried that someone was watching them. It was a familiar presence as well, much like the one she remembered from NarShadaa. It was a nagging presence at the back of her mind and cast a shadow much like the shadows that chassed her husband in is dreams. As for her son Tulre, she knew he would win and not because he was his father’s son but she knew that he was doing it for someone else. If it had been any other situation, she would have smiled. As it were, she couldn’t or Revan would smell something afoot. She maintained a thoughtful stance as she watched her little one take his place.

Revan noticed the calm expression and she was curious and annoyed at why Michaela wasn’t worried. Rather than create a scene in front of everyone since she was sure that not everyone knew, she whispered in Avalonian to Michaela, “How is it that you can remain calm when your son is fighting for his life?”

Michaela didn’t look at Revan when she heard that. She was worried that Tulre was biting off more than he could chew. True to the custom of her people, to show weakness was a form of dishonor. Weakness was frowned upon in a warrior but it was acknowledged as a means of humbling oneself. In Michaela’s case, it was the typical parental worries though this time it concerned life and death. Still not looking at Revan, she replied in Avalonian, “He fights to help. He has the courage of his forebears and will succeed, Manzibique.”

It never ceased to bring Revan to attention when she heard her Mikkades name. When Kirabaros used it, it was often to wheedle something out of her when he couldn’t put a finger on it. This time though, it sparked a flash of temper in Revan and she responded in a fierce whisper, “This is not one of those rituals to introduce adulthood. He is a child!”

“And at his age Manzibique, he is expected to do his share. You trust Kirabaros’ judgment and now you should trust mine,” Michaela looked at Revan in the eye before returning her gaze to watch the duel.

Revan made a slight face as she muttered under breath, “You assume too much.”

Michaela just smirked. She had heard every word that had been said. A tribute to the hearing of Avalonians. She knew that Revan too needed to come out of her shell of guilt besides Atton and her husband. She said nothing as she turned to watch her son.

Tulre was having too much fun as he let Debula chase him around the dueling ring. Unlike his father, Tulre liked sparring but strange enough it wasn’t to show off. In many ways he was like his father in that he would only fight if he had to just as he was doing now. Right now he could see that Debula was getting frustrated and was going to switch tactics.

It came from the left in a wide arc. Bending over backwards, Tulre managed to avoid it. He could hear the blade whistle as it came across. He ignored everything that the crowds did and didn’t even hear the announcer, “Whoa a close call there.” Righting himself, he was ready for the next swing and did a forward somersault on the ground and jumped to his feet with his blade poised. He narrowed his green eyes at Debula and stood there, every muscle tense.

Debula was frustrated that the little runt was dodging his blows. That however took second place to the manner in which the runt fought. It was peculiar but it suited him and he thought he found an opponent worth his salt, even if he was short. After the runt somersaulted and turned to face him on his feet, he decided that he would have to get down right dirty. He knew where to start and he began with a feint downward.

Tulre blocked it with his blade but didn’t expect the punch that sent him hitting the dirt. His blade flew away from him so all he had to react with was his instinct. When he sensed Debula raising his blade for a strike he pushed up and with both feet kicked back, hitting Debula on the knees, knocking him backwards. The fall caused him to lose his own blade but that wasn’t going to stop him. Debula jumped right back up to his feet and charged, intent on hand to hand.

Tulre was ready for the charge. What followed was a series of punch combinations from both competitors and was blocked fairly well. It made a curious dance, as it appeared as if it were planned out. Then a backhand sent Tulre flying backwards onto his back. He reacted with a forward flip and blocked the punch that was telegraphed a mile away and delivered a strike that doubled Debula over. It wasn’t enough as Debula batted him away towards the rack where weapons were stored.

Tulre slid along the sand until he came to a stop next to the weapons rack. Jumping up, he grabbed a staff with a spear tip. It was short enough for him to handle and handle it he did by maneuvering it into the crook of his arm and crossed stepped an angry Debula who managed to pick up his blade again and twirled it into position. Tulre gave himself to the Force and it guided his steps in a series of strikes that allowed him to give Debula some hard blows. It eventually enabled him to hit the blade out of Debula’s hand but when he tried to give another blow, Debula managed to grab the staff and with a show of strength raised Tulre with the intent to swing him behind.

Using the direction of motion and his weight, Tulre added to his rate of fall and flipped Debula over. He jumped on top of Debula putting pressure on a sensitive spot and pointed the spear end at Debula’s face, its blade barely touching the tip of his nose. Debula stared at Tulre and Tulre stared back. “Go ahead finish me,” Debula spat.

Tulre narrowed his eyes. He could end Debula’s life and claim victory but that wasn’t his way and it wasn’t the way of his people. With a quick movement, he struck hard and fast at Debula’s temple, knocking him unconscious. With a deft movement, he plunged the tip into the sand near Debula’s head and jumped off. He stood and nodded to the announcer and moved towards the edge of the ring. The crowd that had been silent when he had the spear pointed at Debula’s face now gave a loud cheer. The announcer was in a state of shock, “I don’t believe it! He spared him. The Masked Stranger spared the champion. The Masked Stranger is the winner!”

Michaela knew that her son wouldn’t kill. He was his father’s son in heart and spirit and like his father he spared his adversary. She smiled for Tulre received the honor as a warrior but he learned that compassion is an ally. She smiled at Revan who tried to apologize and nodded understanding while leading the way to greet the Masked Stranger.

They were joined by Atton, Kiera and Morgan who immediately jumped with Lilah as if they were sharing a secret. Atton was sporting a smile as he revealed a fistful of credits, enough to buy the reverse power coupling, that he collected from Tatlo. He said, “Well we have one part. Any chance that we can pull off the other?”

No one had a chance to ask for the Masked Stranger approached them with a bag full of credits. He looked at them, his gaze following each of their expressions. He gazed at Morgan and Lilah who were snickering before heading up to Revan and handed her the bag of credits. When the action was done, he pulled the mask off to reveal the youthful face of Tulre grinning from ear to ear, his green eyes snapping lively. He then said, “Now you can help Dada.”

Mamesa was the first to say, “Little Shang, you truly have outdone yourself,” and smiled. She should have been angry since he entered too young and against her wishes. Still it broke the ice and everyone relaxed.

“I was careful and I practiced,” Tulre replied with a grin.

Revan couldn’t say anything except marvel at the lightheartedness the Avalonians exhibited. Even being around Kirabaros couldn’t soften the blow of surprise she got when awkward situations were met by a joke. She was speechless as she watched her daughter murmur with the boys and giggling over a shared joke that hadn’t been voiced. She was content with just watching them until Carth said, “Well I guess we better get the new generator and install it if we are supposed to meet up on Yavin.”

Whew, it has been a long time, but fortunately this chapter retains the quality of the rest of the story. The description of the fight was excellent. A twist at the end? I'm still feeling a little sleepy, so I must have missed it, unless it was Tulre sparing Debula's life. Overall, very good and on a technical note (that's the only thing I could find to nag about :D ) there were two small typos - a forgotten space between Nar and Shadaa in one place and chassing instead of chasing in another.

Now, lemme check that Outer Rim fic of yours. :)

Yeah the twist was that Tulre spares Debula. Since I said that he was like his father but wasn't in many ways, I figured one of the endearing qualities would be his compassion. After all the little one does have a lot of it for a certain little girl with honey colored eyes and brown hair. Thanks for reading and I put explanations on the Outer Rim thread and my changes etc. A new chapter will be up as soon as I figure some dialogue out.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is another chapter long at last. I finally decided to finish it and it hit me today during my break what to write. So here it is:

Chapter 49

The corridor was dark and foreboding and conveyed the idea that there were ghosts or something wandering through it. It really was no big surprise considering that that corridor was apart of a temple that was thousands of years old. Still it was rather eerie standing there and looking at the foliage that was growing everywhere and feeling the wind whistling through. For the lone warrior making his way through the temple, it bespoke of a loneliness that he left behind years ago.

For the past three days, the warrior had been making his way through the ancient temple seeking answers that he had been seeking since the end of the war and before. Like the beloved river, he cut his path relying on the Force and Grace to guide him. Along the way were challenges that forced him to cut a new path. He was forced to remember things that haunted in childhood and through his adult years. In the last memory, he was forced to remember the broken look on his friend’s face and the look of understanding of the Miraluka. If anything that was like twisting a knife in an open wound and because of that he severed his connection with everything that he was.

Anger, pain, fear, loneliness, those emotions that the masters said would lead to the dark side guided the swings as he was forced to battle with shadows that brought fruit to long buried emotions and feelings. He gave full reign to his venting and continued through the corridor until he was stopped by a huge stone door. He wanted to vent his rage on it to force it to open but a voice in his head stopped him, “You have visited key moments of the past and now you must face the future.”

The warrior was overcome with a strange sense of calm. Being severed from a full active use of the Force so willingly opened his senses to a degree that Darius could barely describe to him before. He waited until the door slid open with the familiar stone grating on stone. He stepped into a dark room, aware that he was not alone. It was confirmed when he looked at the column of light that shown through the hole in the roof. Standing in it was an apparition of the one who wanted to see him destroyed and next to him was a person he knew well. He stood there facing them until he dredged up, “Were you always there?”

Jolee was impressed; well he always was with the Avalonians and their ability to adapt to situations. They had arrived the day before amidst a sea of chaos where two ambushes occurred and only three warriors went missing. It took Lady Mara to explain her suspicions while Amarante treated him as if he were a guest at a party. He had to explain why Kirabaros wasn’t with them but Lady Mara’s reaction was a calm that would have made her worthy of being a Jedi Master. It was as if she had some idea why the lad wasn’t there.

When they left Amshrey, Jolee put his foot down and told them to take off. He remembered that he didn’t want to do it and almost asked Canderous to wait to firing up the engines. It was then that he felt it. The lad projected his thoughts, I know what I am doing and I have to do this. Hold the line in the east. That was last he ever heard of Kirabaros but it gave Jolee the encouragement he needed to call for the liftoff.

Jolee never doubted Kirabaros and in fact went out of his way to say so. It wasn’t the warm fuzzy type for that would have sent the lad into snickering but the kind that got the message through. What worried him was the fact that after the incident onboard Draconis’ ship, he was quiet. He suspected that he bottled up too much of his feelings and that they might explode eventually. He did know that if all hell broke loose, there was one important thing that would keep the lad’s feet on the ground. Next to Carth, he was the only other person who knew completely what that was and why he held tight to it, refusing to let go.

He was thinking about this when he watched Juntau and Juhani walk by talking. When he first met the lad, he was surprised that there was another Cathar other than Juhani since the Mandalorians managed to just about do their race in. When he discovered that it was Kirabaros who convinced the settlement to offer sanctuary to the boy he just smiled. It was so like the lad to put everyone else before him or to find a way to help others. He was called to attention when Mission came up to him and said, “Lady Mara asked me to find you. I told her she should look where they have the buffet line but she said to look for ya anyway.”

“Kids these days. No respect for their elders,” Jolee muttered as he directed his attention to Mission.

Nothing was more soothing that the rumbling of an engine on a ship. After his display on Alderaan against the Avalonians, Keegan was heading towards the Outer Rim as Count Draconis told him. The count would be joining them soon along with the supporters he managed to rally from the senators that still demanded blood. Keegan though wasn’t too sure about attacking the Avalonians head on.

The fact of the matter was that no one truly knew the full capabilities of the Avalonians. Sure they showed their strength and spirit in the war with the Rashikians but less was understood about their logic. On the surface with Amstar in the Senate, they appeared to be like anyone within the Republic, reasonable beings with their own petty peculiars. With the declaration by Kirabaros though, it changed things and gave the possibility that Avalonians were different than the other systems. Plus the unpredictability had Keegan most unsettled. The only comforting thing was that they had managed to sully Kirabaros’ reputation by claiming that he dishonored his calling as a Jedi and a traitor to his people. It only flew though with his most outspoken enemies.

He had his orders though and he was to mobilize at Yavin and prepare to take on the Avalonians. The bounty hunter he heard was alive and well and was out to perform the original task of grabbing the brats of the Jedi. The stronghold hidden in the forests of Yavin would have ground reinforcements. It could be a total victory and in the midst, he could get the Jedi that slighted him.

Lady Mara knew that the storm was coming and she referred to Amarante and Jolee for their advice and guidance. She may be the Lady Governor of the system but like any well-respected leader, she deferred to those who had seen more of life than she had. Right now they were telling her that the best thing to do was to fortify the settlement and send the young and the old into the forest towards the caves. She agreed albeit with reluctance in that she was hoping they could engage the enemy away from the settlement. It was Amarante that pointed out though that there were no clear battlefields except the settlement and even if there were, there would be an attempt to storm the settlement.

The word was given and fortifications were being made to the settlement along with defense systems that would buy time until the main forces from Belos could arrive. There were difficulties in that someone had mixed up the launch codes for the ships. Improperly entered and the system shuts down and has to be restarted. It had already occurred and put the fleet behind schedule. She had no word from Senator Amstar and didn’t know of the current state of the Senate. All she had was a brief message that Revan was pardoned and that was all. At least Jolee received that with good news since he was fond of Revan.

Lady Mara turned towards the east of the settlement to gaze at the river in the distance. The river brought as sense of calm as it did with all Avalonians in that the river was considered the life force. Though they understood the Force, they knew that the river was life hence the reason they called it the orenda or life force. She continued to stare at it, noticing that the Cathar boy was staring at it too. She briefly wondered at him but was moved by the generosity of Kirabaros. Surely the Council will be able to see that when this is over. Her thoughts drifted to her children in their father’s care though she suspected that he would try to jump onto the next ship here.

All of a sudden, she heard a voice in her mind. It was gentle and calm like the summer winds in the early evenings. It was not the broken voice that she had heard from him before but one that was strong. It whispered, The east, where the river is, will bring the flood. Be wary on all sides but ne’er turn your back on the river. It caressed her mind gently before leaving.

Realizing that she had closed her eyes, Lady Mara opened them. She felt a confidence that she hadn’t felt since she took charge of the system. She walked back towards Amarante’s hut with a determined air. She was met by Jolee who gave her a knowing smirk. They both had heard the same message and knew that he was watching from wherever he was at.

Interesting chapter, it brought back a few characters that haven't been mentioned in awhile. I'm sorry it took so long to check this out, but, as you may suspect, I have tons of college stuff to worry about in June and I don't have much time to take a closer look at the forums these days. In any case, I'm still interested in this story, so keep writing. :thumbsup:

Thanks igyman. Yeah I figured it was time to bring a few people back. :D

Anyway. The chapters are slow because I am chanign my mind every few sentences and I started a new fic. The new one is set just a year after Order 66 so we are in that part of the EMpire. It is rather interesting but that's another story. Anyway thanks for reading and I am still writing it. A new chapter will be up when it is done.

• 3 months later...

Long at last here is another chapter.

Chapter 50

The bounty hunter had been watching and waiting patiently. He had watched as the boy won the competition against an opponent bigger and stronger than he was. He had to admit that he was rather impressed with his ability. He was much like the Jedi he was once hunting. He couldn’t deny that there was some sort of attachment between the three little ones as they were clustered and surrounded by the adults. That didn’t matter; all he knew was that he had to get the three of them and he had this urge to let the woman who had nearly killed him see that it was him.

He stayed behind them at a distance. His mentor now turned traitor had taught him well in terms of disguising his presence from Jedi. He pressed a button on his comm as he silently followed the group. He would make his move and soon.

Nighttime at the hamachi was lively. The maiko were dancing with the geisha in the traditional songs and dances of the tribes. They spoke of victory against all odds, referring to how their little Shang defeated Debula. It was a happy time.

After a brief telling down from Mamesa, Tulre along with Morgan and Lilah went to be with their parents. Rowan stayed and talked to her while they watched the happy parents, “It appears the Force works in mysterious ways Mamesa.”

“So it would seem. I hope this worked out according to his plan,” Mamesa replied.

“It more likely hasn’t but then he would have figured it out. When he came to me, it seemed as if he were out of options.” Rowan paused to look at the scene and then turned his attention back to Mamesa, “He hasn’t been the same since…”

“The Miako incident. Most anyone close to him knows what it truly cost him,” Mamesa nodded understandingly, “Perhaps it is better that the parents see the children before we move out. The maiko are ready.”

Rowan said nothing but turned to acknowledge Caelos who was coming towards him. He didn’t see Mamesa slip away to go watch the dances when Caelos said, “I got the generator fixed and all the other parts ready on the Wayfarer. Lady Onasi and the rest know.”

“Good,” Rowan replied, “You did well but you had the pride. That was your flaw and Revan exploited it.”

“I wanted her to fight Master Jedi,” Caelos replied in the tones of respect that Kirabaros taught him, “She needed to be all that she was and is. She will need it.”

Rowan didn’t have a chance to answer for a sound distracted their attention. He turned towards it and started to take off. Before leaving he told Caelos, “Let the others know what is going on. Try to be circumspect.”

It started with a few blaster shots and a few shouts. By the time anyone got close enough, one of the wooden huts of the hamachi was on fire. A few maiko shouted for water as they ran to save what was in the hut. The items like the wardrobes were costly and could take a lifetime to earn. They scrambled about until Rowan caught up to them and began organizing the men into a cohesive unit.

Meanwhile a noise sounded as speeders and men on foot came through the hamachi shooting their blasters. Other maiko and a few of the geisha tried to deal with them as they shot off their blasters and made noise. It grabbed the attention of the Jedi after Caelos told them something was wrong but not bad. Revan was the first to act. She said, “Carth, Michaela and Dustil follow me. Kiera and Caelos take them from the south. Atton…” she nodded at the children who were looking at her.

Atton took the hint and watched as everyone else scrambled in their assigned direction. He figured it was probably Debula causing trouble after losing the Shaak Ti. He told the sprats that it was probably was the case. He didn’t expect Tulre to jump up and say, “Then I have to help. It’s my fault that Mamesa is in trouble.”

Of course that started up the other two claiming their parts in the whole thing. Atton was hard put to persuade them that the best was to stay put. It sounded stupid in his ears until he stopped a small hut, the weapons storage, and he persuaded them to hide in there until he came back for them. They readily agreed and went in. He was just closing the door when he heard, “It seems that we are destined to meet again traitor.”

Atton didn’t turn immediately but controlled the rage of emotions within him. He breathed deeply and said, “It is nice to see you as well Falen.” He then turned to face an ugly look from the one he addressed.

“I told you before that I am not called that anymore. I have a new name, Jaqrand,” Jaqrand replied suppressing the urge to gut Atton.

“I see that I did leave an impact. For that I am sorry,” Atton responded, glancing for any sign of weapons, noting the huge vibrosword. He moved his hand towards his lightsaber slowly while trying to ascertain Jaqrand’s intent.

“Spare me the rants of the Jedi. I’ve heard it all before,” Falen retorted, “The best thing you can do is stand aside and let me have what is in that shed.”

“That I can’t do,” Atton replied. He had his lightsaber in his hand and stepped away from the door. He began to circle Falen who was doing the same thing.

“Don’t make me kill you old friend,” Falen replied and he twirled his blade.

“I’ll do what I must,” and Atton activated his lightsaber. He went into one of the poses that Kirabaros had taught him and waited for Falen to strike.

It came when Falen charged with an overhead strike. Atton blocked it with ease and counter struck with a series of thrusts and parries. He remembered Nar Shadaa well and wasn’t anxious to repeat the incident again. He avoided the low blows that Falen liked to use when feinting a high strike. At one moment Atton backed away from a strike and twirled down low to duck. With intense concentration, he Force pushed Falen back. It wasn’t a hard one that Kirabaros would have done but it was enough to knock Falen off his feet. He said, “You’re living in the past Falen. There is nothing to gain by living in the past.”

Falen struggled to get to his feet. He retorted, “And have you done better? Become the very thing that you used to kill? Who’s living in the past now?”

After his Papa shut them in the weapons shed, Morgan looked for an opening to watch. He found it near where the blades were kept. He motioned for Tulre and Lilah to come and look. They watched as Atton fought the angry man with the warblade. Tulre wanted to snort at the quality of the blade the angry man was handling while Morgan scoffed at the stance. Lilah just peered in fascination at the fight. It was Morgan who said, “We have to do something. We have to help Papa.”

Tulre looked down at his friend and replied, “I know but what are we going to do? He told us to stay here.”

“Since when have you ever listened to anyone Tulre?” Morgan asked in a heated whisper. “We can help. You know more about all kinds of weapons. I can do unarmed and swords and Lilah has the sword. We can put use to it. We did it back home.”

Tulre looked at Morgan for a moment. It was true but there had to be a reason why they were stuck here. It was part of the reason why they ended up in Mamesa’s care. A sudden thump on the wall of the shed brought him out of his thoughts. He heard the man taunting Atton and his mouth became firm. Standing straight up, he looked like his father when he was determined to do something. He said, “Ok. Morgan, look for that small blade that Tai Tai likes to do the new beginning dance with. Lilah, your sword I put with the short blades over there,” and he pointed to where the short blades were.

“What about you Tulre?” Morgan asked. “The short blades are too light and the middle blades are too heavy.”

“I’ll use Firebrand.”

Morgan responded with a smile and went to go find his blade and help Lilah get hers.

Michaela sensed it like a shiver running through her spine. That shadow that darkened at the back of her mind since that morning came clear. She thought he was gone but he was here. He was here and he wanted revenge and…she then turned away from the group and headed towards where Atton was.

Atton felt like he had spent a day in a trash compactor after slamming into the weapons shed. He was tired but determined to keep Falen away from Morgan and the others. Falen was fighting like a madman but a meticulous madman. Atton’s senses were flooded with a burning hate. Unlike Atton, Falen had let his anger and pain consume him and it was his driving force now. Atton couldn’t understand it now but he stood up ready to continue the fight. He readied himself into a comfortable position and waited for Falen to strike.

Jaqrand was rather pleased that he was forcing the traitor to his knees. True he wasn’t begging, well that wasn’t the traitor’s style. He had a desire to make the traitor suffer. First he had to get his hands on the three brats and then the fun could begin. He was so busy focusing his attention on the traitor that he didn’t notice three little figures creep out of the shed. He was focusing on the traitor who stood now and was ready for a strike. He came at him, charging with his blade raised.

Seeing Falen coming with his blade raised, Atton began to run towards him with his lightsaber raised. He anticipated and swung when Falen swung. The result was a shower of sparks and the quiver of metal. Atton felt the force of the strike travel down his arm. It was strong enough to make him want to drop his blade but he held on. His shoulder throbbed but he didn’t stop. He gave it all he got.

As usual, Tulre took the lead when the trio left the shed. Morgan was right behind him and Lilah tottered last. Each carried the blades they preferred and other weapons they figured would be useful. They headed around to head towards the front when they were stopped by a Rodian thug. He muttered something about finding them and made a move towards them only to be greeted by a series of punches and kicks from the two boys. They smiled as the Rodian fell unconscious and continued. They came around just in time for the bad man managed to knock Atton’s lightsaber out of his hand and had him on the ground.

Morgan acted quickly. He armed the short bow that he had been learning how to use and aimed. Being calm an deliberate, he released the arrow and watched it sail towards the target he had chosen.

Jaqrand didn’t expect his vibrosword to be knocked out of his hand. Nor did he expect the sudden pain on his leg that followed. He pulled out what it was and turned to see two boys, one with some primitive sort of the Wookiee crossbow and the other with a much larger version. They stood poised and aiming at him intent on killing him if they so chose. He was actually dumbfounded that those little boys could even handle weapons of that size. He had to admit he was impressed but it became amusement when the taller of the two boys said, “You and your men are trespassing. Leave now and no harm shall come to you.”

Jaqrand looked at the boys and began to laugh at them while saying to Atton who was watching the scene horrified that his son was attempting to fight, “So you have children protecting you?” He then turned to the two boys who were then joined by a little girl holding a blade drawn. He called out to them, “You are brave little ones and foolish. Do you wish to dance this dance with someone like me?”

“I think not,” a voice sounded from behind.

Jaqrand turned to face the woman who had shoved him out of the window on Nar Shaddaa. He scowled deeply before as he turned to look at the woman who came to stand by the traitor’s side. The traitor asked, “Michaela, what are you doing here?”

Michaela, a mother first and a warrior second, had left the distraction to help Atton. As a mother, she defended her young. As a warrior, she was aiding a comrade. Taking both into account, she replied, “An explanation best served as obvious.”

Atton didn’t need Michaela to elaborate. While not Avalonian, he understood the parent half coming through and was ready to stand by her. He stood and reached for the lightsaber he dropped through the Force. He said to Falen, “Are you ready to stand up against two Jedi, Falen?”

Jaqrand growled and replied, “No mere Jedi has come back the same after I am through with them. You can ask your ringleader Kirabaros.”

The comment confirmed what Michaela had guessed about this bounty hunter. He had done something to her husband but the end result was not what the mercenary was implying. She felt a wave of pity that he had underestimated her husband’s capabilities and would suffer for it. Not rising to his bait she replied, “A pity that you have not seen the end result.”

Jaqrand had no idea what she was saying. She was just like the Jedi that he delivered to his employer, enigmatic and annoying as hell. He merely grumbled and replied, “As long as I get what I came for,” and lunged into attack.

Michaela and Atton flew apart and countered Jaqrand’s attack. They moved in a synchronized movement, pretty good for people who haven’t trained together most of their lives. It was like a little orchestra as the three of them danced.

Tulre wasn’t surprised to see his mother come from almost nowhere to help Morgan’s papa. Being a typical kid, he assumed that she was checking up on him and made a slight face at her coming. When she started attacking the bad man, it was an opportunity to run but they didn’t and couldn’t.

At that moment some of the men that Jaqrand had hired came charging at the kids. Of course being kids of Jedi, they reacted. Tulre let loose the arrow he had cocked and ready as well as Morgan. Lilah had her sword ready to defend the boys while they pulled out the blades they brought. The arrows missed the men charging them but it provided the three sprats to jump out of the way and swing their swords.

The hired thugs didn’t expect the kids to fight and were surprised that three little things were flying at them. They managed to get them off and surround the kids. They moved in, one of them saying, “Come on little one.”

Tulre nodded at Morgan who nudged Lilah. They concentrated on the Force, linking their minds together to create a chain. Using what they had, they blasted the Force out in all directions. It was like a surge through the Force that was felt by every Force user as it blasted their attackers away from them. It wasn’t enough for another two thugs appeared and gave chase throughout the compound.

Michaela felt the surge through the Force. It was like an energy surge but it didn’t short out. It was like a strong wave that didn’t break its stride. She knew that the three of them together was a strange happening. She would have to examine it later as she fought to keep the one called Falen off.

Atton thought the surge was like a power surge and didn’t think about the kids doing it. He was concentrating on getting Falen into submission. He taunted him by saying, “You are getting sloppy. I thought Nar Shaddaa would have taught you better.” He didn’t see the second man come up from behind.

Michaela did and fended him off. This bounty hunter was smart in recruiting men with blade proficiency. When Atton came by, she said, “We have to get the kids and get back to the ships.”

“Get them and get out,” Atton replied. He blocked the high downward strike that Falen gave but wasn’t ready for the punch to the gut and then a few punches across the face. He retaliated by giving a backhand to Falen who lunged forward with his blade, locking it and giving a kick to the gut.

Falen was enjoying landing blows on his former mentor. He looked at the traitor and said, “I have learned. I’ve learned how weak you have become.”

Atton replied as he blocked a swing, “I’ve moved on Falen. You haven’t.”

“We’ll see.”

Michaela didn’t see it coming as a backhand landed across her temple, knocking her unconscious. She fell to the sand, her saber deactivating. She thought of nothing but the children. They were vulnerable as she saw black.

Atton spared a look when he heard her grunt. It was a mistake for Falen slipped through his defense and gave a kick to his gut. Falen also struck with his blade giving Atton a slice across the shoulder, knocking him down. Atton hit the deck hard as his saber fell from his hand. He sat up and watched as Falen twirled to through a short blade at him. Atton swerved to avoid the blow and it struck one of Falen’s men.

Falen did nothing else but stared, his eyes full of hatred at Atton. He then turned on his heel and walked away. He still had a job to do and he aimed to do. He was going after the kids.

Tulre, Morgan and Lilah managed to lead their pursuers to where Revan, Carth and Caelos were pinned down by one of the speeders. Revan and Caelos were deflecting blaster bolts while Carth was firing off shots of his own. He spotted the kids first and beckoned them to hide by the speeders. He was glad that his daughter was safe but was even more surprised when he saw her wield a small sword.

His attention was diverted back to the battle where he could make out Rowan charging like a kataran bull. He often thought Rowan crazy for wanting to get in the thick of things and that Canderous would like him. He did know that Rowan took his duty seriously. If it was his charge to defend something, he would. Right now he was protecting his friends. Carth appreciated him for that as he fired to cover him.

Tulre watched as his Aunt Reva and Uncle Carth and Caelos were fighting the thugs who invaded the hamachi. Like his father, he wasn’t content with hiding but doing something. He looked at the speeder he was hiding behind and saw that it was one that the maiko had borrowed for when they when to hunt wraid. An idea formed and he nudged Morgan who looked at him. He nodded and then turned to whisper to Lilah who slunk off towards the rear of the speeder.

Checking to see if Uncle Carth wasn’t looking, Tulre climbed aboard and gave a hand to Morgan. Morgan went immediately to the pilot’s seat. The maiko had taught him to pilot the speeder and he was pretty good at it. He warmed up the engines and waited. When Lilah climbed aboard, he gunned the speeder out into the fray.

Rowan preferred to fight out in the thick of things. He didn’t believe in hiding unless it was absolutely necessary. He was a warrior, not a scout and he took this to heart when he led the other maiko against the invasion of these thugs. He appreciated the cover provided by Admiral Onasi. He respected the seasoned warrior although Carth preferred to be called a soldier. He didn’t expect to see a speeder come charging through, knocking thugs over to stop right by him.

He looked up and spotted three sprats shooting what appeared to be blasters. He recognized them and gave a slight roll of his eyes. He barely climbed aboard when the speeder took off again and stopped to where the Admiral was. He said, “There is no time. Get in.”

“Who’s idea was this?” Revan asked.

“It was his idea,” Lilah pointed at Morgan.

“Was not,” Morgan replied and took off.

They were joined by Kiera and Dustil flying another speeder. She shouted, “Lovely night for a race don’t you think?”

Rowan called back, “You have to get Atton and Michaela.”

“Already did,” Kiera replied. “Back to the ships?”

“We have to lead them away from the hamachi. They are after us not them,” Carth answered.

“Alright then,” Kiera shouted. She led the way through the town of Anchorhead. It worked apparently for the thugs that attacked the hamachi started to follow them. It was chase and would require a lot of skill not to hit the buildings.

She was brushed on the shoulder and a voice in her ear that said, “Let me.”

Kiera looked to see Atton beckoning her to let him take the pilot’s seat. His hand was on the stick so she slid off and he slid on. No doubt about it, he was good. She couldn’t help but watch as he glided through the empty streets. She did revert her attention to helping Michaela who was firing a blaster while struggling with a headache. With Michaela’s help, they managed to disable the speeder following them by aiming at the engines. They met up with the others who just came back from the desert.

Tulre knew Morgan would do his best but they had to take that speeder out. He had an idea. He shouted, “Turn left here!”

Morgan turned as his friend said. It led out of Anchorhead and back into the Dune Sea. The Sand People still laid attacks on people and they came out at night since it was cooler.

Revan understood the idea. She wanted to urge Carth to take the stick but Morgan was already turning again. She saw that the speeder was following them, move for move. She didn’t have to see them to know that the Sand People where there. The last time she had an encounter with the Sand People, the tolerated her presence and wouldn’t attack her or her friends. She didn’t know if it was the same group.

Tulre could sense his aunt’s apprehension a mile away. He didn’t know that it was related to the last time she was on the planet. He had to concentrate on the presences he sensed when they made their turn. They made a loop and were heading back to Anchorhead with the enemy on their tail. He whispered, “Don’t do anything. Just keep going,” and Morgan did as he was told.

The shots came out of nowhere as they fired upon the two speeders. Morgan gunned it but the enemy speeder wasn’t fast enough. It got caught and flew out of control before crashing into a sand dune. The only thing that could be heard were the cries of the Sand People as the speeder entered Anchorhead.

Atton breathed a sigh of relief when he saw his son piloting the speeder to a stop beside his. He would have went to his son but was stopped by Kiera who began to tend to his shoulder. Revan was already tending to Michaela and the others where checking each other out for injuries. Rowan commed the hamachi and asked if everything was alright.

Tulre, Morgan and Lilah jumped down to check the speeders out and the surroundings. They had their weapons at the ready as they were taught. Their parents didn’t notice them as they looked around.

Tulre felt the yank first as he was grabbed roughly and turned to face the one who went after Atton and his mother. He grunted and heard Lilah and Morgan grunt as they were plucked up by a big man. They squirmed and grunted but didn’t hear their parents yell for them as they were taken away.

An interesting chapter, without a doubt. The quality of your chapters is still on the level, the only thing grammar-wise that I can complain about is that a few commas in the right places would have been great.

When it comes to the storyline, due to the huge time break between the latest chapters, I have slowly started to forget the details of this story. I still remember the overall plot and most of the characters, but the huge pause is a bad thing for anyone who wants to follow the story and the events in it.

Archived