Home

Governmnent regulation of fireworks

Dagobahn Eagle

Last year in Norway, there was an above-average number of fireworks-related accidents related to the New Year's celebration. Ownership and usage of fireworks being legal in Norway (though only on New Year's Eve, from 18:00), there are always houses burning down, rockets going astray and hitting people, drunks standing too close to the launch and getting their ear drums blown to Hell, firecrackers blowing up mailboxes, and what the Heck not. Norway=Alcohol, especially on New Year's Eve, and the obligatory protective goggles are worn by nearly nobody. Not a good combination.

The high number of accidents of last year, however, has finally prompted debate on the legality of private ownership and usage of fireworks. Personally, I'd say leave it to the government to put up displays and let the people come see them. It'd drastically reduce fires, wounds, and even deaths every New Year's Eve. Fireworks aren't exactly a cornerstone of democracy, and if I have to drive for fifteen minutes to the nearest town to watch fireworks, so be it. It's better than having too many houses burn down each year.

I agree with regulating them, DE, but not having government-sponsored events with them. I have happy memories of celebrating the 4th of July, and they were not done with the general public. I wouldn't want to go somewhere with a few hundred people while someone else shoots off and chooses the fireworks.

All the same, they are a bit dangerous. Sales should be constricted or less dangerous fireworks should be produced, but I don't think they should be banned.

I love the fireworks shows our city puts on every year.

Personal use--the small fireworks are OK, personally, I don't like seeing folks go blind from being totally stupid using the big ones. Yeah, it might be their 'right' to shoot off fireworks and if they want to be stupid and go blind, that's their fault, but my tax dollars pay for their disability checks, so I prefer limits on how powerful fireworks can be for personal use.

Archived