Home

The experience system & skills and abilities thread

Maxstate

Yes because shooting guns is pointing and clicking, our saber play is far far different and much more complex than shooting a gun in CS.

Yes yes I know I know. But right now, my dear, we're talking about the skills that you can buy OJP, compared to the guns you can buy in CS

I'll admit that I would like a more deepgoing system too, but I forsee that people will have a lot more "WHAT THE ****KKKKKKKK IM OUT OF HERE BACK 2 FMoD3" if they don't understand why they're getting killed so often even though they have their regular build.

That only applies if we complicate the saber system. As it is, I think this has nothing to do with what I suggested above, which is adapted to an individual's personal preferences, not to change the way the game is played. What's complicated is if we start having all sorts of new additions to the saber system eg. being able to kick while saber locked, having to hold crouch and jump and strafe at the same time to prevent being kicked down etc. Think of my ideas as...a walking crutch for an old man. Sure the old man can walk, but with a walking crutch (my ideas), he can walk better. If he's short, then a shorter walking crutch is better. If he's hunch backed, then he will fare better with a crutch that has bigger shoulder support

We need saber perks that don't directly affect the result of a saber duel, unless the user knows how to use them correctly. Like the perk to buy extra Makashi Defense so you don't get any extra damage from back whacks.

It seems useless against one opponent, but if you're being charged by two people you can still have a nice chance to survive.

That's the problem. That sort of skill is very situational. It only applies to FFA and powerduel, where it is very useful. In a 1 on 1 duel, it becomes useless. Again, I'm emphasizing that every skill should be given an equal opportunity to be integrated into the gameplay experience. Skills shouldn't be used because they work best in that situation ie. constantly spamming Heal and running away, but instead should be used because that is your personal preference

I agree with the part about the guns

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes yes I know I know. But right now, my dear, we're talking about the skills that you can buy OJP, compared to the guns you can buy in CS

I quote: "It offers a variety of weapons, from pistols to snipers to machine guns. Yet, it remains n00b friendly, because it's fun to try out new things."

Guns are not force powers or skills. Guns only require you to shoot, you don't need to know anything about guns to be able to shoot them.

Force powers and skills as you suggested them have different effects you need to take account of and think about before you use them.

Which does indeed make them noob unfriendly, because noone wants to read anything before they start playing. I got 4 new players to read Hocks' quickstart guide and that's it.

That only applies if we complicate the saber system. As it is, I think this has nothing to do with what I suggested above, which is adapted to an individual's personal preferences, not to change the way the game is played. What's complicated is if we start having all sorts of new additions to the saber system eg. being able to kick while saber locked, having to hold crouch and jump and strafe at the same time to prevent being kicked down etc. Think of my ideas as...a walking crutch for an old man. Sure the old man can walk, but with a walking crutch (my ideas), he can walk better. If he's short, then a shorter walking crutch is better. If he's hunch backed, then he will fare better with a crutch that has bigger shoulder support

Your ideas complicate the saber system because these force powers and skills WILL BE USED in a duel! This makes people need to think about what they're doing, this will make people go "WTF" because they don't know that Power's effect and what it's good for.

Also it is personal preference, but how do you think people will use Force Powers they know nothing about? THat they don't know what the effects are of?

That's the problem. That sort of skill is very situational. It only applies to FFA and powerduel, where it is very useful. In a 1 on 1 duel, it becomes useless. Again, I'm emphasizing that every skill should be given an equal opportunity to be integrated into the gameplay experience. Skills shouldn't be used because they work best in that situation ie. constantly spamming Heal and running away, but instead should be used because that is your personal preference

I agree with the part about the guns

I WANT them to be only useful in different situations!

Noone concentrates on a single opponent when they are surrounded by them, noone uses jabs and simple one handed parries when they're facing a saber-wielding ogre.

Everything should be situational because that gives you more choices in specific situations on how to react.

As if your skills aren't situational? I quote: "Reflex - Lose less DP when shot (doesnt include saber attacks)" So it only works if you get shot, which is a non-recurring situation because we don't have that many gunners. You could use that power maybe once every few hours. Smells like hypocritzzzz!

After playing with some of the guys over at the RPG mainframe (they're very mature, fun to play with and aren't anything like the ones chosen described)

I think we had a good match. We showed them the basics and I think they enjoyed it, though the saber system was still a big pill to swallow for them.

And exactly as I predicted, here are the cons and pros they wrote down:

Pros:

1: we can put levels on guns making those classes more customizable.

2: Coop mode can help us with some npc jobs (in the version i played there was a skill bug but their working on it)

3: damages and stuff are not all effed up like in fm3 (a couple swings of a lightsaber and a few shots with a blaster will kill you but its counteracted by dodge)

4: saberthrow is straight line and much harder to aim so its not overpowered.

5: Gun's to saber transition very very smooth (I can go from E11 to Sword with out having to switch classes which me likey)

6: Much more balanced/fair 2 v 1 fights

7: not everyone will have the basic 3 styles

Observations:

1: Saber system is complex and requires a certain finesse to use it

2: Still has some bugs but they are ironing them out

3: You can't block blasters forever anymore

4: New Stances/moves however the saberstyles are not all that different (but that could just be me) in that the damages are all the same and the basic moves are more or less the same (how ever some styles eat dp faster and/or easier to parry with)

5: duels can take forever depending on the players aggressiveness/skill

6: the Force Prestige classes would be obselete (unless they add alot more force powers) cuz they only have 1 light the nuetral and 2 dark

Cons:

1: the skill/exp system it has built in is cool but is not useful for us since they reset back to the min on new maps making it so people who just get on have a big dissadvantage (however i heard you can adjust the min and maximum so we can set them the same)

2: no ammo reclaimation cry.gif

3: Very few force powers/guns (but i've heard they're trying to fix that)

4: The entire mod seems to center around lightsabers

5: Explosive (OMG they take away all of you dodge points knock you down but are auto pushed if you have it)

Notice that they complained about the lack of ammo recharge (ZING!) and the lack of buyable skills (DOUBLE ZING!).

If you're like me you'll want to gear OJP towards the people but still keep a fraction of it intact the way you like it. If I listen to the side of me that likes dueling, IT's downright perfect. But my overall judgement side still thinks that there is an overall lack of skills, and the gunning system is far too illogical.

I like the idea of making Protect a purely passive power. I wouldn't mind if saber defense only did the defensive stuff that can be done with a saber: basically, deflecting bolts. Here's my humble suggestion (although I like the previous one too):

Saber defense: Ability to deflect saber bolts, higher levels mean less cost to do so. Maybe we could also have saber defense affect the DP costs for blocking saber attacks.

Level 1 Protect: Gain simple dodge ability (sabers, blaster fire)

Level 2 Protect: Gain advanced dodge (the dodge from rockets/thermals)

Level 3 Protect: Gain autopush.

This would also make it so that you don't have to have your saber out to push away a rocket, which makes more sense. Also, dodge would be a purchasable power.

I like the idea of making Protect a purely passive power. I wouldn't mind if saber defense only did the defensive stuff that can be done with a saber: basically, deflecting bolts. Here's my humble suggestion (although I like the previous one too):

Saber defense: Ability to deflect saber bolts, higher levels mean less cost to do so. Maybe we could also have saber defense affect the DP costs for blocking saber attacks.

This would also make it so that you don't have to have your saber out to push away a rocket, which makes more sense. Also, dodge would be a purchasable power.

Sounds okay to me, but it wouldn't exactly be adding new skills...

Meh.

This isnt a bad idea either, although I'm not sure how were going to "dodge" a thermal. It would definitely allow a player to take what they like of the normal game features and not what they doesnt since alot lot people dont like dodge period.

By dodging thermals, I mean the dodge that happens when it explodes... you automatically jump/roll out of the way and take less damage. As far as I can tell, this is what currently happens if you have DP but are pointed the wrong way to autopush the rocket or thermal.

So, is the general consensius that people want the body dodges to be a buyable skill? That will make most players die in one shot in most cases.

Well I guess that depends on how we do it. The actual dodge could just be taken out without the DP gone and blaster would just lower DP like it usually does against a saber. In melee or with guns, it would just be based on whatever that weapon does to your HP if you dont have it.

Me thinks what would happen if you're standing near a ledge...

Mmm, probably the same thing that happens if you dodge a saber near a ledge. Sure its annoying and we should probably create of kind of ledge fall prevention, but I think its a fair trade off. Its only temporary until you get level 3 protection anyways in this case.

On another note, we might want to start changing the names of some of these newer effect force powers so that new people get a clue that they are different. For example, Defense is actually Blaster reflecting defense and not everyone might catch on to that since its different in other games (well, mainly MB2).

Can we plox at least give the skills a bit more exciting names?

Blaster = E-11

Pistol = DL-44

Buyable Dodge = Jedi Defense > ADvanced Jedi DEfense > Mastaaaaa Jedi Defense.

Also:

-scopes

-upgrades for blasters

-More skills

As I said, I can forget about saber perks and stuff if we just change the way the styles work with damage and mishap rates. But before you go I'd really like to see some mo' skills.

I'm not really for buying the skill itself, but I am for upgrading it

That said, I'd prefer to see everyone start off equipped with enough attributes to be able to fight fair, so that even a player with 1337 saber fighting skills who (as in skilful player, not dumping lots of points into in-game skills) who doesn't use any of his skillpoints (SP) at all can triumph one who dumps all his SP into different in-game skills

Can we plox at least give the skills a bit more exciting names?

Do people really want the technical names for the weapons instead of their generic names? It really doesn't matter to me but I figured that the generic terms are simplier for people to understand.

Do people really want the technical names for the weapons instead of their generic names? It really doesn't matter to me but I figured that the generic terms are simplier for people to understand.

I personally think we should keep it generic for things like weapon mods.

As for skills etc. what about having two seperate skill trees. One would be general skills, say offense, and stats eg. strength. This would gain extra points by killing and capturing flags. In this section would be:

Saber Offense

Saber Defense

Strength (Adds extra DP damage for lightsabers, allows access to all grapples in melee, adds extra melee damage, makes you have a chance to win saber locks when initiated by opponent opposed to the opponent always winning saber locks if he has initiated it as Razorace suggested)

Acrobatics (Allows you to roll, allows all acrobatic jedi moves, allows ledge grab)

Reflexes (Increases chance of deflecting bolts, reduces cost of dodging)

Sight (Increases accuracy, reduces chance of mind trick successes (mainly useful for plain gunners))

Then we would have weapon and precise skills with points given for use of the weapon/gadget. I’ve not included skills which involve reloading or cool downs apart from in the rockets and special shots though I’m in favor of reloading for all weapons. Skills would include:

Pistol skills except dual pistol wielding should not cost much to make the pistol more useful

Dual Pistol Wielding: No explanation needed. Gives you dual pistols and with each level increases accuracy till it is better than the original

Increased Damage: Makes it harder to block and causes more damage when hits.

Increased Accuracy: Makes shots more accurate (accuracy should be slightly reduced for newer pistol wielders from base)

Increased Speed: Increases speed of pistol shots and to draw weapon.

Rifle

Increased Accuracy: Makes shots more accurate (accuracy should be slightly reduced for newer wielders from base)

Increased Speed: Increases speed of shots and to draw weapon

Burst: Allows access to secondary burst fire, same as default except only limited shots. Increased accuracy with burst every level

Stun: (Could make it so you only choose burst or stun or to add a tertiary fire) Causes knockdowns on characters who are running facing the opposite direction from the wielder and slow bounces on saber wielders. If you are facing the shooter then it’s dodge able but it causes hurt animation if not running. Uses lots of ammo. Short delay before use which is decreased by levels and range of the shot is increased.

Disruptor

Scope: Adds the secondary sniper fire

Charge: Allows shots to be charged in or out of scope mode with longer and faster charges per level

Snipers eye: Automatically aims at nearest target to crosshair when entering scope mode with the nearness to the character increasing per level

Increased Speed: Increases speed of shots and to draw weapon.

Wookie Bowcaster

Scope: Adds a secondary sniper fire

Knockback: Knocks a person backwards who is hit by shot. If the person is running towards or away from you they are knocked down if not they go into pain/slowbounce animations

Multi Shot: Adds extra shots to each attack but decrease the accuracy sacrificing accuracy for force. The shots are in close formation. Each level adds an extra shot

Repeater

Concussion shot: Adds the concussion shot which acts like OJP’s current one except with a cool down before being able to use it again. Separate ammo of 3-5 (If possible). Reduces cool down time for each level.

Demp

Shocker: Secondary close range shot, Chain lightning between people nearby. Continuous ammo drain. Each level increases range of first fire and chain. (I don’t know if this is possible)

Shockwave: Tertiary fire, like usual but with each level increasing wave range

Flechette

Increased Range: Increases shot range (base range will need to be smaller)

Increased Spread: Increases spread of shots increasing DP damage

Increased Ammo: Increases ammo from low eg. a few rounds

No Secondary Fire as the flechette's Secondary Fire is overpowered in my view (Can’t be blocked, dodge causes knockdown)

Missile Launcher

Homing Rockets: Gives homing rockets and increases there speed and lock on time.

Decreased Cool Down: Decreased cool down/reload of rockets

Bigger blast: The effects of the blast are felt further

Increased ammo: Increases ammo from 2-3

Concussion Rifle

Increased Speed: Increases speed of shots and to draw weapon

Charge: Allows you to charge up shots to increase blast radius and damage

Overload: Secondary fire, delay then a colossal blast using nearly all of the ammo but causing lots of damage and disintegrating those hit directly. Decreases charge time with levels

Flame Thrower

Increased Range: Increases the range of the Flamethrower

Increased Damage: Increases Flamethrower damage

Fuel Link: Links the fuel for the Jetpack and Flamethrower (If both are bought) increasing the fuel overall for both

Increased Fuel: Increases fuel for longer flaming

Jetpack

Fuel Link: Same as Flamethrower Fuel Link

Increased Height: Increases the height the jetpack can go

Increased Fuel: Increases Jetpack duration

Flight Basics: Allows you first to fly like base rather than jumping then giving you faster turns

Rocket: Gives one rocket on jetpack

Binoculars

Thermal Vision: Allows Merc to see all heat sources with range increasing each level

Anomaly Detection: Focuses in on snipers in view or Jedi using mind trick who are of a lower level

Night Vision: Rids shadows, shows hidden trip wires and counters mind trick of lower or the same level

Increase Zoom: Increases zoom range

Thermal Detonator creates expanding sphere of damage like Movie battles

Increased Blast Radius: Increases blast radius (Duh…)

Impact Grenade: Secondary fire which explodes on impact

Increased Damage: Increases damage dealt

Trip Mines

Mine Link: Tertiary fire which links mines or detpacks together so they explode at the same time

Invisible Trips: Trip wires are invisible to anyone not on your team

Increased Damage: Increases the damage

Detpack

Mine Link: Same as Trip Mines

Decreased Reaction Time: Decreases the delay before the explosion

Increased Damage: Increases the damage

Cloaking like the saboteurs

Increased Level: Increases the level of the shader to make you harder to see

Increased Length: Increases the length of time that it works

E-Web

Decreased Set Up Time: Decreases the time to set up

Portable Shield creates shield for crouching behind (not very big)

Increased Shield Health: Increases the health before the shield collapses

Increased Duration: Increases the length of time the shield stays up

Now an iffy or impossible gadget

Grapple hooks onto enemies and brings them down if they move. May be reeled in or out. Can be shot or cut. Not meant for climbing or for swinging.

Increased Range: Increases the range of the hook

Increased Speed: Increases the speed of the hook

Increased Health: Makes the grapple take more shots to detach

Any other random things others can come up with

This idea should force people to specialize even without knowing it and should provide a lot of customization and balance (I hope).

I’ll leave the force to everyone else as I have no real new ideas how to work it except

Mind Trick

1: Invisible when standing still not in crosshair to those with level 1 sense who are not using it

2: Invisible when standing still to those with level <=2 sense with level 2 not using it

3: Invisible when walking to those with level <=3 sense with level 3 not using it

I just tested the mod a few minutes ago, and here are some suggestions.

On Jetpack

I think the jetpack can be improved so that when u jump and hold it down it activates (like FM III). Also I think it would be pretty cool to choose your skins for it (as the regular one just looks butt ugly).

Gunz

Well all the alt fire crap is removed for now on decision for them but anyways I was thinking of "Special" upgrades for guns that alt fire could be used. For example, u can get a special "rapid" fire skill, that idk shoots faster but really fast. Power shot that fires a big ol power shot like the pistol, and then a scope upgrdae.

But not all guns wouldnt have same upgrdaes, for example, repeater wouldnt have a scope, but instead maybe power shot, rapid shot (omg super fast omg!!!), and the bomb attack.

O ya for the scope, I was thinking instead of using alt fire, just make a Scope key instead.

ANd for bowcaster, make it shoot out more bolts when charged! If you played SW BF II, that thing fires hella more bolts and spreads out more.

For shotgun, make basic fire have more shells fire out.

Now grenades, omg!! Remove that alt attack thing it has. Its just spamtacular. Make it have a bigger explosion, and its timed. If you can, make it so you can cook the detnater, instead of it exploding on ground. If not just remove it completely :p

Other gadgets for gun dudes

Well here are some ideas that are pretty basic, but w/e.

CLoak: Basically, it will be a stealth generator that lets ur dude go invisable.

Heat sensors: Turns ur vision to heat vision, and u can see people red, and the rest is all blueish color. (cant see through walls)

Night Vision: Well i just thought it'd be cool for night maps i guess... Not a must have but, w/e :p

Turret: Err the little turret droid

Sentry Droid: Little ball droid that follows u around

Ammo Regen: Either use Force points to regen, or automatically regens. More you levle it, faster regen u get

Shield Regen: Same as above, but regenerates your shield.

HP Boost: More you level this, more health you get

Armor Boost: More you level this, more shield u get.

Thats all for now. Also, id make it so if you want to use forcepowers, some of the skills cant be used (IE certain guns, explosives, jetpack, etc).

Well thats all i got right now ill post later.

I think the effect of having weapon customization might not justify the amount of work put into making them work in the game. I mean, Han Solo was supposed to have a fairly modifed pistol and it didn't seem to perform any better than the generic pistols used by the Empire.

Instead, I'd suggest that additional skill levels result in better accuracy with weapons and then add a more realistic accuracy system where running, crouching, etc affects the accuracy of the shots.

I have class, I gotta go!

Final notes; only the most NEEDED of all suggestions.

This is what I've come to after thinking about what I suggested and looking at some of the latest posts:

Blasters

There should be skills that grant you effects like modification to your weapon would work in Kotor.

For example:

-Improved accuracy - 10 points - E-11, Bowcaster

For blabllabla reason your e-11 and bowcaster aim have improved, they now shoot without spread. (or you could make it leveled , so every bubble you buy makes it even more precise than it was before etc. etc.)

-Modded trigger system - 10 points - e-11, bowcaster, pistol

You modded your trigger system to improve weapon rate of fire.

-Improved Energy Cells - 10 points - E-11, bowcaster, pistol

New weapon energy cells improved their lethality (weapons do more damage).

-Anti-Jedi training - 10 points - E-11, bowcaster,-pistol, repeater

After experiencing Jedi on the field you have learned their deflection strategies through and you are able to outwit them and shoot in such a way that they have difficulty to reflect shots back at you. (taking notes from Jango vs Trebor) This would for example decrease Saber Defense 3 Reflection accuracy from 50% to 20% or lower.

Thermal Detonator 20 points

Only one should be buyable for 20 points and it should be a weapon of mass destruction. C3pO was very afraid of the thermal Leia had in Jabba's hut and they said it could kill anyone in that room, I think that it should have the same effect in OJP instead of the lousy poof it makes now.

Detpack 20 points

This should be a deadly weapon that comes in pairs of two, only two can be bought and carried for every life. Detpacks should not kill Jedi, but the blast from them should wipe the Jedi's Dodge points straight off the HUD leaving them open for follow up attacks.

These would work like satchel charges and can only be manually detonated from a distance not greater than xx.

Misc Inventory Items

I agree with Fen, the sentry should at least be available in the list of buyable items and should also be limited to one per life/time. The flying saber training thing could be left out, as could the ForceField.

Cloak 10 points

Would promote stealthy characters, the cloaking should be vastly improved to near invisibility which should cancel itself if a weapon is fired.

Auto Push

Auto-pushed projectiles should fly in directions other than back at the gunner, they should go towards the jedi's extremes like straight up or diagonally left/right.

Rocket Launcher

Should have limited ammo and a non-killing but mass damaging quality in battle.

For Saber perks I had an idea long ago and I'll post it here even if I've just talked to Razor about it.

Well to solve our dilemma with having saber perks for individual styles, I think we should add different saber crystals that give us different effects like the gunner blaster skills do. Like in Kotor where you could upgrade your saber with a new crystal it would make it more proficient at defense, deflecting or attacking. It would do more damage or calm the Jedi down.

I think it's a good solution, what do you guys think?

My idea is to have a few different Lightsaber crystals buyable from the screen with different effects straight from the books.

As for Protect I think it should only activate Auto-push, and not Dodge. Dodge is essential in OJP combat and shouldn't rely on anything other than Jedi intuition.

I also would like Mind trick back very much thank you.

That's all.

Well to solve our dilemma with having saber perks for individual styles, I think we should add different saber crystals that give us different effects like the gunner blaster skills do. Like in Kotor where you could upgrade your saber with a new crystal it would make it more proficient at defense, deflecting or attacking. It would do more damage or calm the Jedi down.

I think it's a good solution, what do you guys think?

I'm not against individual buyable features like that since I've been hoping we'd do something like that for a long time. But I still think the styles need to have some sort of beginning difference like the DP values we've discussed a thousand time over for the reasons we discussed a thousand times over. :p Its just not worth the animation splicing to make them perfectly balanced when the solution is simple and logical.

Cloak 10 points

Would promote stealthy characters, the cloaking should be vastly improved to near invisibility which should cancel itself if a weapon is fired.

Maybe cloak should make a character dead silent in their footsteps or saber until they fire or swing and me immune to seeing?

As for Protect I think it should only activate Auto-push, and not Dodge. Dodge is essential in OJP combat and shouldn't rely on anything other than Jedi intuition.

I dont know. The system is still fairly playable without dodge and alot of people dont really like it. There are alot of server that just turn it off. I say make it an option but make it fairly cheap so people can easily buy it if they have seeing. We might also want to make seeing a little more expensive as well.

As for cloak, I don't think it should mask footstep sounds. It just makes it creaper for the non-cloaked players.

Well, that's why it would be a more stealthy alternative to mindtrick and simply vanishing. This way, you could just hid out like a ninja or assasin or something with still having the potential to be seen. There are far too many metal gear/splintercell/ninja fans out there to not take advantage of a more stealthy technique. This would have to work with not being seen by people with seeing to work to its fullest potential though.

Along with this, is there any way to make a player maybe turn black or greatly shaded when they are in dark or a dark shadow? It might be a cool feature on shadowed or dark maps.

Going back to the "commanding npcs" idea mentioned before, how about turning the 'seeker' item into a true npc like it was originally intended to be (seeing as ojp has md3 modeled npcs working now). The seeker would last until it is shot down, and you could give it simple commands (follow me, go other there, attack on sight, attack my target). I have made something similar to this before, and am fairly confident I could code this in, if razorace doesn't have time for it.

Well, that's why it would be a more stealthy alternative to mindtrick and simply vanishing. This way, you could just hid out like a ninja or assasin or something with still having the potential to be seen. There are far too many metal gear/splintercell/ninja fans out there to not take advantage of a more stealthy technique. This would have to work with not being seen by people with seeing to work to its fullest potential though.

Along with this, is there any way to make a player maybe turn black or greatly shaded when they are in dark or a dark shadow? It might be a cool feature on shadowed or dark maps.

I think the players have to have at least some level of non-invisibleness when using cloak/mindtrick. 100% invisible doesn't require any skill to sneak up on anyone.

Ace, I'm in the middle of playing 009P with a friend and it turns out that Manual Deflect isn't working. I'm aiming away from him and timing it right with a good ping around 30 but it's not headed his way, I can't see ANY difference in where the shot is going..

It was supposed to go to a random enemy in range, my friend shooting is the only one, isn't it supposed to go at him?

Can you PLEASE fix this?

Archived