Home

Windows Live OneCare Beta 1.5 commences

Astrotoy7

In its quest to make Windows an all pervasive entity, MS has now launched Windows Live OneCare, aiming to provide an 'all in one' solution to pc safety. Read more below. Click the link to download the beta version(nb. will only work with Genuine Copy/Install of Windows XP SP2/Vista RC1/RC2 Only)

As per the Official Live OneCare Site

What is Windows Live OneCare?

An all-in-one PC care service that’s always on, helping provide persistent protection against viruses, hackers, and other threats, and helping keep your PC tuned up and your important documents backed up.

What Windows Live OneCare does for you

• Runs quietly in the background, providing anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall protection

• Activates Phishing Filter in Internet Explorer 7 to help block or warn against identity theft or online scams

• Updates itself to help you keep ahead of the latest threats

• Runs regular tune-ups to help optimize the performance of your PC

• Provides one-click resolutions for any actions that you may need to take

• Makes backups to a variety of devices a breeze

• Lets you see the status of your system at a glance

In which countries can I use Windows Live OneCare?

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, UK, US.

What operating systems are supported?

Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista (build 5500 or greater; recommended build is 5600 aka RC1 or 5744 aka RC2). OneCare is currently not available for x64 operating systems..

Where can I learn more about the Windows Live OneCare Beta (v1.5)?

Please visit http://ideas.live.com/

I'm running this on a Vista RC2 machine but not my xp machines. Sure it eliminates the needs for third party apps, but Im not 100% sure I like that! :(

Please note - the beta is FREE but once Live OneCare goes 'live' - most likely with the release of Vista in early 2007,it will involve some type of paid subsription for it's full features

mtfbwya

After the beta you will be able to activate it for the trial, version I have expires in 178 days.

So far I like the program, it's light and does pick up adware etc. Running on build RC2 5744 (most probably the last one as well.) haven't been able yet to test the antivirus features.

So its an elaborate version of windows updates?

I'd moreso describe it as an evolution of the windows security center, except it has its own adware, spyware and antivirus programs in it - rather than telling you about the 3rd party apps you have installed - as was previously the case.

How good it is compared to aformentioned 3rd party apps is difficult to say, as most security programs havent really been vista optimised, and hackers havent been going out of their way to make life hell for Vista (yet?)

mtfbwya

Hmmm... So neither the OneCare v1.5 Beta website nor the main website, http://www.windowsonecare.com, indicates whether or not customers with existing OneCare subscriptions will get v1.5 at no additional cost when the new version goes gold.

I have to assume that existing OneCare customers will get the upgrade as part of having an active subscription but it would be nice to see that in writing.

The 64-bit version of Vista will have PatchGuard technology installed in it which prevents all access to the kernel. (link) This has gotten Symantec and other folk upset with MS since, in the past, MS has provided means (basically looked the other way) of getting into kernel mode through their hooking APIs. PatchGuard essentially nixes the ability to hook into the kernel, at least for write-access. MS says OneCare will be treated the same as all other 3rd party anti-virus/anti-spyware applications in this regard. It's strange that MS on one hand closes shuts out the AV technology and on the other hand opens embraces it with OneCare. :confused:

Hmm. Earlier while playing game it minimized for a 'found possible spyware' tralala thing. Shortly after it minimized again and screen connection went dead.

I also find it annoying now it doesn't really have a feature for temporarily disabling the program. You need to open settings and disable each module and so on. That is quite annoying with some microsoft applications, they assume you're a lowbie computer user for which thinking should be done. for example, tried to get a .reg file to a friend earlier. Couldn't do msn, it was wanking because of antivirus and file. Tried mailing to hotmail and it wouldn't allow download (even with extension renamed). Eventually uploaded it to server.

It's low resources which is nice, but with the ram I have now I think I'd even prefer a norton which is more customizable. Of course my heart lies with NOD32 and alike.

Anyways for those lowbie users this comes as great solution; all in one and seems to detect/block (too) properly.

Archived