Home

How a real lightsaber might work ?

Windu Chi

Depending on this density of the cold plasma sheath and magnetic pressure tension force, that hold the plasma structure.

The energy density of the photons(in the laser beam), if the photons dynamic thermal energy oscillations is about the same as the electrons and ions electrostatic oscillations and thermal energies.

The laser beam photons will scatter off the complex interactons of magnetic and electric fields and gas plasma particles because of the the electrostatic potenial field frequencies and thermal kinetic energy oscillations, in which the laser photon field, will have to match about the same parameters of the cold plasma sheath to scatter off at about a 90* angle.

The cold plasma component sheath, depending on the parameters also density of the gas, will act like material similar to mirror glass.

Photons don't quite work this way. You're dealing with tiny packets of energy, and for lasers they're all lined up in the same wavelength. Electrons and ions are particles, photons are not (though they obey some aspects of particle physics). Photons are also not affected by heat, so any thermal and/or kinetic energy would have no bearing on them. I don't believe they're affected by electrostatic energy, either, but I'd have to double check on that to be sure--it just wasn't something salient to how eyeballs function.

Glass is transparent. Mirrors are not--mirrors have an opaque reflective surface. You can make the index of refraction on glass theoretically high enough to that you get enough internal reflection to reflect a lot of light (one of the reasons why diamonds are so sparkly), but you'll still get light going through a transparent object, thus lasers would not be stopped in the manner you describe. They may be stopped in some different way, but not in this particular manner.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually you know guys I once did a search for the actual parts of a light saber like the focusing lens, power cell and all of that stuff and it was very interesting what I found. I actually heard of military testing for energy weapons like blasters, melee weapons, and even swords so a lightsaber might not be very far off! But who knows could have just been a rumor that some idiot with nothing to do started.:D

Photons don't quite work this way. You're dealing with tiny packets of energy, and for lasers they're all lined up in the same wavelength.

You are looking at only one part of the physics of photons here, Jae. :)

Photons are in laser light.

Laser light which is a electromagnetic wave of radiation.

Photons have different values of EM wave radiation wavelenghts and quantize EM field oscillation frequencies, but depending on cold plasma gas density magnetic flux density, magnetic induction field frequency, magnetic permeability, electrical conductivity, electric permittivity and energy storage capacity and energy absorption characteristics of the EM fields in the cold plasma.The photons in the EM wave radiation of laser light with a certain EM wave frequency can be made to reflect enough to reflect in a 90 * angle, like they do when interacting with the mirror metallic material.

When light reflect of mirrors, the photons reflect off the molecular structure of the metallic material of the mirrors.

That depend on the vibrational energies, rotational energies or electronic energies of the molecules in the mirror material.

And the electrical conductivity and electrical permittivity of the mirror reflectivity material. The quantize EM field frequency of laser light w.r.t to the metallic reflectivity material other electrical properties.

The cold plasma's dense magnetic fields and the high plasma density of the gas in this specfic plasma.

Will make this kind of plasma either absorb or totally reflect the EM radiation that have specific photon energy with quantize EM wave field oscillation frequencies.

This effect absorption will work by controlling the specific heat energy capacity;some absorption if laser photon EM wave energy is below cold plasma specific heat capacity, also this absorption won't heat(increase the average kinetic energy or motion of the gas particles) the cold plasma; the power density in the laser light is below the specific heat of cold plasma and thermal conductivity;this will determine how the dissipated heat energy produce by absorption will heat different parts of the cold plasma sheath of the plasma blade and also will determine the absorption rates and efficiency of the energy intake. By properly adjusting the magnetic field flux density;this property will also determine the energy absorption limits and rates of the cold plasma gas, this also control the density per unit volume of the gas particles, magnetic field induction frequency; this will control how fast the cold plasma gas density rates change, Electric field potential;this will have a effect on ions and electrons polarization,, electrostatic permittivity; this also will determine if laser light will reflect off a cold plasma gas and also how light refract in the cold plasma medium, the higher this value the more reflectivity.

And magnetic permeability; this also have effect how EM wave photon speed change because of wave refraction(the changing color of light when it enter different materials) effects.

The reflection effect will work depending on the EM wave field oscillation frequency of photon field of laser light, the electrical conductivity of the the cold plasma; higher this value the greater the light reflectivity of the cold plasma, the energy absorption resistance properties of the EM field inside the cold plasma medium and the elecrostatic oscillation frequencies(ion and electron plasma frequency); the higher this value the greater the reflectivity of EM radiation, with the also proper adjustment of all the other electromagnetic properties of the cold plasma medium.

And cold plasma specific thermodynamic properties.

magnetic permeability:a measure of the magnetisation of a material in a magnetic field

magnetisation: the process that makes a substance magnetic, cause by specific magnetic induction frequency and magnetic field flux density.

Specific heat capacity: The capability of a substance to absorb heat energy; specifically, the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one mole or gram of a substance by one degree Celsius without any change of phase.

thermal conductivity:the rate at which heat flows through a material between points at different temperatures

Polarization:The phenomenon in which waves of light or other radiation are restricted in direction of Electric field vibrational frequencies. Phonons: a quantum of vibrational or acoustic energy in a crystal lattice, i.e. the solid, that have a regular pattern of atomic structure.

Permittivity:A measure of the ability of a material to resist the formation of an electric field within it; higher value higher electric field value in a capacitor, higher charge storage(capacitance); determined by the ability of a material to polarize in response to the field, and thereby reduce the field inside the material.

This physical quanity also relates to a material's ability to transmit (or "permit") an electric field, depending on certain physical properties of the material.

Electrons and ions are particles, photons are not (though they obey some aspects of particle physics). Photons are also not affected by heat, so any thermal and/or kinetic energy would have no bearing on them. I don't believe they're affected by electrostatic energy, either, but I'd have to double check on that to be sure--it just wasn't something salient to how eyeballs function.

I guess made a mistake saying thermal energy oscillations. ;)

I meant the dynamic motions cause by E field oscillation and magnetic field induction oscillations in both cold plasma and photons.

That will produce dissipated thermal heat energy or increase the average kinetic motions( increase the temperature) when photons is absorb by the cold plasma gas particles of matter.

But because of the high thermal heat energy that cause high kinetic energy motions, photons can be affected by the temperature of a medium, in indirect ways.

The collisional like energy absorptions and emissions of the photons in the interaction medium, that might have dissipated waste heat energy and high kinetic energy of the hot medium's particles like inside the sun's core.

The high almost material jelly like material densities of specific cold plasmas can affect photons of light and other forms of EM radiation in complex ways.

The millions degrees F high temperatures in a star core for example, cause very high velocities of the

ions and electrons in the solar plasma that light or the photon field light contains, that is produce by the hot plasma gas in a star's core.

That photons will take long periods of time to leave a star's core.

The photons will experience many collisions with ions and electrons on it's way to the surface of the star to be release as star light

That because of these collisions, the photons takes millions of years to reach a star's surface to replace the old star light with new star light. ;)

So, it is like the photons once emitted have to go through a shooting gallery

of the high kinetic motions of the ions and electrons that is cause by the millions degrees F* temperatures in the solar plasma before the photons reach the surface of the star.

Also because of these high temperatures that cause complex EM properties photons get reflected and absorb(for a long delayed time) by the electrons and ions, that photons don't travel straight paths on their way to the surface; they travel in zigzag paths that will have to be calculated by diffusion partial differential equations.

These zigzag paths and long delayed absorption times cause the millions( 200,000 yrs for our sun) of years of wait times before old star light is replace with new star light.

When photons interact with matter the slowing speed of light by refraction can be explained by the light inducing electric polarization in the matter the polarized matter radiating new light, and the new light interfering with the original light wave to form a slowed wave. In a particle picture, the slowing can instead be described as a blending of the photon with quantum excitations of the matter.

These quantum excitations create phonons, like when a photon interact with solid matter, such as the polish metallic material of the mirror surface. A phonon is a quantum(discrete sound integer wavelenghts) of sound energy .

That for specific solids given specific phonon frequencies and wavelenghts, these phonons will determine the speed of sound in the solid which is related to speed(maximum speed) at which thermal or heat energy conduct(by thermal diffusion) through a solid, depending on the soild thermal conductivity, soild density, mass, material physical properties and other physical properties of the solid.

Also, FYI !

Because photons possesses momentum also, it can be affected to change it's direction when interacting with electrons of the atoms in the matter.

So, similar analogy to the ricocheting of billiard balls.

Like for example, Compton scattering: is the decrease in energy (increase in wavelength) of an X-ray or gamma ray photon, when it interacts with electrons in matter, that results in the electron being given part of the energy (making it recoil), and a photon containing the remaining energy being emitted in a different direction from the original.

Also electromagnetic radiation can cause pressure, because of the transfer of photon momentum per unit time and unit area to a object, since pressure is force per unit area and force is the change in momentum per unit time.

Like for example again , photons suffer so many collisions on the way from the high thermal energy and high kinetic energy motions of 21 million F* temperatures in the fully ionize hot plasma of the helium and hydrogen gas there of the core of the sun, that radiant energy can take millions years to reach the surface of the sun.

Glass is transparent. Mirrors are not--mirrors have an opaque reflective surface. You can make the index of refraction on glass theoretically high enough to that you get enough internal reflection to reflect a lot of light (one of the reasons why diamonds are so sparkly), but you'll still get light going through a transparent object, thus lasers would not be stopped in the manner you describe. They may be stopped in some different way, but not in this particular manner.[

Yes I know that glass is transparent, Jae.

I didn't mean exactly glass; I made an error. ;)

I was saying that the properties of a cold plasma can act like a mirror, with interaction with laser light.

If the physics and properties I have explained above is follow properly and the properties is adjusted correctly, for the cold plasma gas medium. :)

Cold plasma application Plasma stealth technology This a link to a article about cold plasma physics use in a millitary cloaking device.

This another link of cold plasma physics concepts and applications: Force Fields and 'Plasma'

Shields Get Closer to Reality

:lol:Another person who think of money, I don't think about money, I hate it.

I will continue to waste my time, because I will love to have a lightsaber of my own.

The biophysics and biologist of this planet are getting close to finding cures for cancer and other diseases.

The hinderance to these current projects is society is dependency on money.

Or, the drug companies reluctance to want cures to diseases; it will be a hinderance to their profit making needs.

Although this whole thread is sort of an argument... there is one thing here that strikes another issue.

Capitalism is the only form of economy with a built-in system for greed. This is why we are losing ground in the international community as far as education and research and technology, etc. Not that I am disagreeing with free trade and such and such, but as present, capitalism is a losing card.

Sorry for the off-topic.

_EW_

It could be possible even now in certain ways.

Gas powered industrial lasers can cut through metal and such, and could be the actual lightsabers of the future, with the exception that the laser would need to be super heated over 3000 degrees so it could cut through steel.

here's my idea of how it would have to look.

(top)

|----------------------------------=========

By using a special mirror that can reflect the gas powered laser, the energy wont disappate over time as it continues to travel outward into infinity.

The mirror would be the tip of the sword, so no stabbing would be possible, and it would be afixed with a small but highly compressed titanium rod that travels up the back, making it for of a katana style light saber.

The gases used for this weapon would need some source, so the handle would probably need a hose connected to a reserve of gas, probably best located on the back of the person, and would need to be made of Titanium because even thermite which burns over 2500 degrees cant burn through it (Watch the show brainiac).

Ta Da! Lightsabers that are within our means of creation by 2100 or sooner. Even the lasers used today, while probably not powerful enough to cut through steel, and large in size, but if compacted over a few decades, could be used to create a lightsaber.

Of course you couldnt block a lightsaber with another lightsaber, you would just cut off the extension rod for the mirror most likely.

edit

I could imagine future wars involve regular soldiers and stuff, but also small elite soldiers that use these lightsabers, and titanium armor so then they can run up, take a shotgun blast to the chest or head and then chop a person in half.

By using a special mirror that can reflect the gas powered laser, the energy wont disappate over time as it continues to travel outward into infinity.

Because of a physical effect called, ''blooming".

Laser beams begin to cause plasma breakdown in the air at power densities of around a megajoule per square centimeter. This effect causes the laser to defocus and to lose energy to the atmosphere. It can become more severe if there is fog, smoke, or dust in the air.

To correct this blooming effect, problem:

1. A very short laser pulse that finishes before blooming interferes.

2.laser specific pulse timing control, power, and/or wavelength of the laser to induce a shockwave that evacuates the path between the desire destination and the laser emitter or laser weapon.

3.A phase-conjugate laser system.

I could imagine future wars involve regular soldiers and stuff, but also small elite soldiers that use these lightsabers, and titanium armor so then they can run up, take a shotgun blast to the chest or head and then chop a person in half.

That will be similar to the ancient days when soldiers fought with swords. :)

That will be another example of history repeating itself.

It could work, but could it actually cut through things?
The lightsaber in the movies seem to "cut" through matter with the the release of high thermal heat energy.

The cutting ability of lightsaber will depend on the thermal heat of fusion of the metals for example in the movies; when the metal material in the movies have a reddish-orange glowing color.

The very hot part of the plasma blade will possibly have adjusted temperatures between 8,000 F* or 18,000 F* depending on the energy needed to ionize the gas and the specfic heat capacity property of the gas that will determine it's temperature in relation to the energy release from the anitmatter or D-T fusion reactions in the power cells. :)

But the naturaly occurring metal that have the highest melting point than any other element(under STP conditions) is Tungsten, element number 74 with a melting point of 6170 F* and vaporizing temperature of 10700.6 F *.

So, with the proper setting of temperature of the hot part of the plasma blade the cut through almost anything statement for the lightsaber in the Star Wars fiction can be implemented with high confidence.

But of course there will be alloys and elemental compounds that can be made to have higher melting and vaporization temperatures than Tungsten.

This cutting action of the plasma blade will also depend on the mass of material among other physical properties and the mass is also related to the specfic heat capacity.

Heat of fusion:Heat absorbed by a unit mass of a solid at its melting point in order to convert the solid into a liquid at the same temperature.

Hey man, when you make one of those lightsabers, would you start producing them?,

because if you really make one( good luck by the way ) everybody will take notice of

it and would want one of their own, specially SW fans. What would you do then??

( p.s. If you start making them, I would be the first one in line to buy one)

Archived