Home

MC: AOTE: Fraught With Disappointment

stingerhs

“Wha…?” Beryl gave Ryshana an incredulous look. “I wasn’t doing anything! I was just…” Her eyes narrowed. “Are you implying that I was cheating?”

At that, Oliver suddenly looked up from his datapad. “I knew it!” he said accusingly. “I knew you were cheating during our last game! No one can be that lucky all the time!” He pointed a finger at her. “You owe me 200 credits.”

Beryl’s brow raised. “I owe you? I wasn’t cheating then, and I wasn't cheating now! I never cheat!” She paused, reconsidering. “Well, I never cheat when I’m playing among friends,” she corrected. “Anyway, I just lost. Badly! I couldn’t have been cheating.”

“Bah!” Oliver snorted, then turned his attention back to his datapad. “Well, I’m not playing with you anymore. Cheater.”

Beryl let out a snort and shook her head at Oliver’s accusation, then she looked at Ryshana. She was about to ask her just what exactly she thought Beryl could be doing that was remotely the same as any Jedi tri…. Beryl abruptly closed her mouth.

Does she know? Beryl suddenly thought. She’d been watching those holovids of Jana’s—the ones from ‘Arabelle’ (the same mysterious woman that now called herself ‘Reibe’) for several weeks now. Beryl had been particularly interested in how to ‘hide’ her Force Sensitivity from the detection of others, and had watched and re-watched the vids, but now she began to doubt herself. Maybe it had something to with trying her hand at telekinesis, even though she wasn’t very good at it yet. Well, she could move a salt pot a few shaky centimetres, but…

She studied Ryshana for a moment, but the Jedi’s face remained serene as always. Beryl shifted uncomfortably, feeling nervous and a bit scared. “So… what do you think I was doing?” she asked in a low tone, so as not to be overheard by Oliver.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

((if you don't mind, i'm going to "move" Oliver out of the room so that Ryshana can tell Beryl the news without him in there to liven things up. ;) ))

Ryshana could tell that what she was about to say would have more impact on Beryl than she was prepared for. So, Ryshana knew that they had to be alone. "Oliver, I think you might want to go check on those blood samples we gave to you earlier," Ryshana stated to Oliver. Looking down at his watch, Oliver was a bit confused.

"But those samples won't be ready for another hour or so. I don't see the point in-" he started to say.

"Just go check them," Ryshana stated sternly.

"Okay, fine, fine. I'll be back in a minute, though," Oliver stated with mild frustration as he set the datapad on the table and walked away.

Turning back to Beryl, Ryshana then said, "Well, it's not a matter of what I think; its a matter of what I know. Throughout the entire game, I've been studying you to see exactly why you're so 'lucky' when it comes to gambling. And now, I've seen that playing a game of chance with you actually has nothing to do with chance: it has everything to do with skill. Then again, that's all any gambling game is to me as well.

You see, when you know what the value is of the next card that's going to be drawn, the game is no longer a game of 'luck'. When I dealt those couple of games, I used a simple technique that dealt you the second card in the deck instead of the top card. Since you couldn't detect what the second card was, you hesitated, and your game suffered. However, whenever I didn't use the trick, you were able to anticipate and plan ahead on how you were going to play your side deck, if at all.

Any normal person can't play any game of chance that way. Only a Jedi plays a game of chance that way, even if they don't realize it.

And that's not the only proof I have. Earlier in the cargo bay, you elicited a rather peculiar method of repairing that Headhunter whenever you were able to reach for and grab items that you needed without looking for them even while you were busy talking to me. Not only that, I tested you further by throwing off your detection of one tool by moving it with the Force. You subsequently used the Force to pull it within your grasp.

The bottom line is this: you are a Force Sensitive. There is no other explanation for how you've been able to do such things."

Beryl's heart was racing. Fear was setting in. Fear of discovery, and fear of the 'Force' itself. For moment, Beryl just stared at Ryshana, shocked by what she had just said. Not only did Ryshana know she was Force Sensitive, but she'd been testing her all day. And Beryl found it even more disturbing that she hadn't even noticed.

Detect cards? And move tools? I can't do those things. What is she on about? I can't even move a salt pot. I've tried. Lots.

She shook her head slowly. "Ok-aay," she said slowly. "Those things you're saying I did. I didn't. I mean, detect cards? I count them, sure. Anticipate, possibly. But that's not... that's not using 'The Force.' And move tools?" At this she rolled her eyes in disbelief. "I can't even move a salt p...." She frowned quizically. "Wait a minute... blood samples? What blood samples?"

Ryshana could easily pick up the fear coming from Beryl, and she realized that there was more to Beryl's Force Sensitivity then she first realized.

She shook her head slowly. "Ok-aay," she said slowly. "Those things you're saying I did. I didn't. I mean, detect cards? I count them, sure. Anticipate, possibly. But that's not... that's not using 'The Force.' And move tools?" At this she rolled her eyes in disbelief. "I can't even move a salt p...." She frowned quizically. "Wait a minute... blood samples? What blood samples?"

"Don't change the subject, Beryl. I'll explain the blood samples later," Ryshana stated calmly. "By the way, has it ever occurred to you that lying to a Jedi that is concentrating on you is quite difficult? You're lying not only to me but to yourself. You can do those things simply because I've observed you doing them."

Ryshana then frowned for a moment in thought. Then, she came up with a quick idea. "Perhaps you just need a bit of proof so that you can see things from my perspective," she stated. Pulling the deck of cards over to her, Ryshana quickly shuffled and cut the deck.

"Tell me what the top card is, and if you have to, then just make a guess."

Beryl hesitated, but the look on Ryshana's face remained serious, and after a moment, she uttered a reluctant sigh. "All right. Fine." She looked at the deck. "Six," she said with a shrug.

Ryshana flipped it over. Six.

Okay, that was just luck, Beryl thought. I mean, six is sort of a middle-of-the-road card, right?

Ryshana nodded for her to continue with the next card. "Four," said Beryl, with little thought. Ryshana again turned it over. It was a four.

Beryl proceeded to 'guess' the next ten cards—two, eight, three, five, seven, four, two, one, ten, six. She didn't get any of them wrong. And she began to get concerned that maybe Ryshana was right about her.

"Oh, this is silly,” Beryl said dismissively. “You’re doing some sort of trick, aren’t you? Like the ones magicians do at kids’ parties and the like.”

But when she got the next ten cards right, she began to get nervous, almost to the point of panic. Maybe, Ryshana was right.

“Ok, I admit I knew I was Force Sensitive,” Beryl confessed in a low, but nervous tone. “Jedi even asked my father if they could take me when I was really young, but he refused. Three times, or so I was told. But Force Sensitive… it’s just a label, right? It doesn’t mean I’m a Force ‘user’, like Cloud. That’s different, isn’t it? I mean, sure, I know I have the ‘potential’ to use ‘The Force’, or whatever it is, but without training, without actually using it… I mean, I’m not even sure if I believe in it! The stuff I’ve seen you do—like mind tricks on guards, or opening doors with a wave of your hand, or those high-flying acrobatic jumps—that’s the Force. Not,” she waved a dismissive hand at the cards on the table, “this—predicting cards, or reaching for tools, or…” Her brow wrinkled, and she averted her gaze. “That’s just luck, or co-ordination, or skill…not the Force. It's not," she said firmly.

But Beryl was now feeling very worried. Her mind raced back to the day she and the other had encountered Lord Vader, and his words to her. “You’re not a Jedi, but yet…"

“It can't be." She shifted uncomfortably, and averted her eyes. "’Cause if it is, if what you're saying is true, that would mean that I’ve been using it for years. Without even knowing it. And with the Empire seemingly breathing down our necks all the time, that’s a dangerous position to be in." She paused a beat. "I’ve heard stories about what the Empire does when they find a Force Sensitive. Horrible stories. And even worse ones for those who are 'users.'”

Without looking up, she continued. “I’m sorry I lied to you,” she said solemnly. “So, I might as well tell you… I got these holovids from Jana,” she confessed. “Vids with Jana, as a little girl, and Reibe, only she calls herself ‘Arabelle’ in them. Reibe kind of explains Force stuff, you know, like how to mask yourself from others, read people’s feelings, telekinesis....” At this she snorted. “Which I’m total crap at, by the way. I can’t even move a salt pot more than a couple of wobbly centimetres. I’ve tried.” Her expression suddenly grew dark. “I only watched those vids to see if I could mask myself from other…people. The telekinesis stuff just looked like something fun to try, you know? Obviously, I’m not very good job at either of them.”

She looked up and met Ryshana’s eyes. “The things you say I do…. I don’t know ‘how’ I do them. I just…do them. I can’t control it. I can’t stop it.” She shook her head. “Ryshana, what I am I supposed to do?”

"Perhaps now you understand why the Jedi were so insistent on taking you in to train you. They do it for the protection of everyone. Just think about it: you have a reign on a power that is unmatched in all the Galaxy, but you don't have hardly a thought on how to use it. Yet, you still use that power even whenever you're not thinking about it.

For any living creature, your sensitivity to the Force is a great gift. Even the most simple creatures can use the Force if they are among the Chosen of the Force. Those creatures have a tendency to survive in the harshest of conditions and dominate any competition from other members of their species. They can do so because they can use the Force to their benefit.

As for being Force Sensitive, such as yourself, that is a different matter. A Force Sensitive has the capability to use the Force in a great capacity that is unmatched among the Chosen. Before the Purge, every Jedi could be classified as a Chosen of the Force. However, only a select few were truly Force Sensitive. Those that were often found themselves serving on the Jedi Council during the latter stages of their lives as a Jedi.

Being a Force Sensitive actually makes you fairly easy to detect. Using the Force comes naturally to a Force Sensitive, and they often use it without realizing it. The most common signs are enhanced reflexes, coordination, precognition, dexterity, and even some degree of psychokinesis.

And there lies the great danger to those untrained Force Sensitives, such as yourself, that have such a bond with the Force: you use it whenever you can't control it. Just think about it: you get angry at something, and you sincerely want something horrible to happen to whatever the object or person is. Someone like you would be surprised to suddenly see that horrible thing take place because you so intensely saw what was going to happen in your mind that it happened for real.

So, you have to come to the conclusion that perhaps the Jedi were right in the first place. Don't get me wrong: I understand the decision your father made. Its difficult for any Jedi to try to get a parent to surrender their child because they supposedly have some great power, and I can only imagine how equally difficult it can be for a parent to accept that decision.

Either way, however, you need to be trained on how to use the Force, and you also need to learn how to keep things under control. With no control, you will act out on your emotions and fall to the Dark Side."

Ryshana paused for a moment as she looked across the table at Beryl. Breathing in deep, Ryshana thought a bit to herself. Although she was training Cloud, it wasn't much more than offering guidance, and thus, she didn't really classify it as a Master and Padawan type of training. To do so was an enormous undertaking, but with Beryl having such little training on how to use or even control the Force, she was going to need such a bond.

"Learn the ways of the Force, Beryl. Let me show you how to use the Force to benefit yourself and others so that you won't fully realize the danger that your untrained power holds."

Beryl was silent for a long moment. She was afraid. Afraid of Vader. Afraid of what she might become of her. Afraid of the power of the Force. Afraid of what her family would think.

For whatever his reasons, her father had been adamantly against everything and anything that had to do with Jedi. Kept saying that they were meddling, controlling, and not to be trusted. Wasn’t even that surprised when the Emperor had declared that the Jedi had been conspiring to overthrow the Republic. In fact, by all accounts, he had actively believed it, even though Beryl and the majority of her brothers hadn’t. And now, here was a Jedi in front of her, offering to train her in their ways. Rade Quita’an was dead now, but he would have blown a thermo coupling if he could see his daughter now.

She bit her lip. Ryshana had made some good points. What if she did unintentionally cause an accident for someone, just because she was angry with them? And she was obviously putting everyone else in danger if she was ‘easily detectable.’ The Empire was still looking for Jedi like Ryshana. Beryl didn’t want to be the one to allow her to get caught.

It was a big decision, but Beryl slowly nodded. “Alright. Show me how.” She suddenly felt lighter for her decision and let out a relieved sigh. Then she raised an eyebrow. “Wait…,” A slow grin appeared on her face. “I don’t have to call you ‘Master’ or anything like that, do I?”

Ryshana laughed a bit both at Beryl's question and a bit out of relief that things went well. "Considering that the Jedi Order is in ruins, I think that decision lies with yourself more than me," Ryshana responded with a smile.

"But if we come across any remaining Jedi, I'm going to refer to you as my Padawan Learner whether you like it or not. But, that's about the only occasion where that would happen. Otherwise, I think a first name basis should be just fine."

((starmark2k, Wildjedi, and Steven: i would like to start moving on with the story, so if you folks could get your characters back to the Echo... ;) ))

((OOC: I was thinking the same thing, Stingerhs... :) ))

"Good," Beryl said to Ryshana. "So, when do we start?" She checked her chrono, then frowned as she realised it was later than she thought it was. "Say, the others have been gone a long time," she said with mild irritation. "Sure hope they get back soon, and that Nic's not in a hurry to leave or anything. I still want to go into the city for a bit. That swoop is calling my name."

"What swoop?" Cloud said, coming into the common room. He was wiping his hands with a cloth, an indication that the engine repairs he had been doing were finished.

"That part I gave you work alright?" Beryl asked, changing the subject.

"Yeah." He gave Beryl and Ryshana a strange look, then shook it off. "So, what swoop?" he asked again.

"Oh, just one I've had my eye on for a while," Beryl replied nonchalantly. "It's on special offer."

Cloud chuckled. "Oh, that one. Jana won't let you off ship if she knows you're heading off to buy that, special offer or not."

"Well, you don't have to tell her," Beryl countered.

Cloud snorted. "I won't have to. She'll just take one look at you and know you're up to something."

Beryl looked surprised. "Am I that easy to read?"

Cloud exchanged a look with Ryshana. "Yes," he said flatly.

"Well, she could at least let us the four of us off to go and get a quick drink," Beryl said. "No harm in that."

"Drink?" Oliver's voice echoed down from the med bay. "When?"

((starmark2k, Wildjedi, and Steven: i would like to start moving on with the story, so if you folks could get your characters back to the Echo... ;) ))

((Consider it done))

The rented speeder landed just out side the echo. Nic and steven took out the supply crate that was full of the food and drink he had bought on his way to the Drop off. Jana carries a bag that had the part cloud needed, they had stopped off at a parts store. Nic choose that one due to the sign outside which said 'Good quality parts and CHEAP!'. After entering they had discovered the shop had good quality and cheap parts as they had all been stolen from a freighter about a week ago and the owner wanted to get rid of them quick.

They left the speeder outside the ship where the Rental company said they would pick up and walked into the Echo. Nic sealed up the Airlock behind him and began to walk up to the common room.

"So anything interesting happen while we were gone?" Nic asked

"Interesting?" Beryl looked askance at Ryshana. "Erm... no. Not particularly. Did some repairs, watched some holonet programs, ate lunch, played a game of cards." She shrugged. "You know, the usual."

She paused for a beat, carefully eyeing up the crates of supplies the guys had and the bag Jana held. "So, I see you did some shopping. Does that mean that you got... I mean, we got paid?"

"You'd think that." Nic said opening a crate and pulling out a bottle Nudian Wine, He flick off the cork and just drank strait from the bottle. "But as it's the imperial capital and storm troopers are all over the place... Ok let's just cut the arguement out... You can leave but you can't buy that swoop bike!"

Beryl's mouth dropped open in utter amazement. "How did... who tol... " She took a breath. "Droyk, Nic! I didn't even mention the word swoop! What, is it like writen on my forehead or something?"

Cloud snickered, and Beryl shot him an evil look. "Don't you even say it!" she said to him. "Not. One. Word."

Cloud held his hands up in surrender, but he couldn't keep the smile off his face.

She turned back to Nic. "Ple-eeze," she begged. "It's a limited-edition, Mobquet-Zephyr custom hybrid, with bi-directional thrust nozzles, duel chamber turbo thrusters, and dallorian-alloy engine covers over a Mobquet G3-I repulsorlift engine in Supernova Red. And I promise, no, I swear I won't race it. Ever. I'll just keep it in the cargo bay and rub it down with a polishing cloth til I can see my reflection. Please? Please?"

"So it's got bi-directional thrust nozzles, duel chamber turbo thrusters, and dallorian-alloy engine covers over a Mobquet G3-I repulsorlift engine." He repeated. "That means it's loud and will make mess all over my cargo bay... And i really don't want Jana to moan at me every time she goes down there."

"Investment?" Jana laughed harshly. "Beryl..." She shook her head. Then, she turned to Nic. "Nic, remember when we wouldn't let her have a bike during that run to Alderaan?" Without letting him answer, she went on, "Something tells me that she'll not give up. If not this bike, then it'll be a more expensive one later."

Turning to Beryl, she said, "If you have the money, I'm not going to stop you." Just as Beryl looked ready to cheer, Jana held up her hand, "But! You're going to give me the keys. If you do decide to use the bike for more than a cargo bay decoration, I'm going to know it. And I'm going to watch it. And I'm going to add a failsafe on your bike. If you get too reckless, I'll know it and I'll trigger it... shutting your bike down faster than you can say, 'Droyk!' Do you understand me?"

Jana placed her hands on her hips and frowned sternly. "Don't you 'yes, mom' me!" she reprimanded. Then, she looked down at her posture and groaned. "Oh, what the skrang? I am mom!" She shook her head and reached into her pocket, retrieving her datapad and looking over it.

"It's a letter from home," Jana retorted hotly. "My parents moved, sad to say..."

"You checked mail?" Beryl asked, interested. "Where?"

"Corellian Pride Cantina," Jana answered with a grin. "CMG hotspot. They're crazy over having pureblood Corellians in there... even to the point of free drinks."

"Free drinks?" said Oliver, coming around the corner. "Where?"

"Only if Beryl lets you go with her," Jana answered. "It's a 'CMG member and friends only' cantina."

"Oh." Oliver gave Beryl a smug look. "So I'd have to go with the cheater."

Beryl held up a warning finger. "You want a free drink or not?" she asked, her eyes narrowing. "And I didn't cheat," she added adamantly.

"Fine. You didn't cheat. I'm sorry." He paused. "But I'm still not playing with you anymore."

"CMG, huh?" said Beryl. "I'm there. Need to check my messages, too. And some other stuff."

Jana raised an eyebrow. "Beryl," she said reproachfully. "A person is typically accused of cheating during a gambling session..."

"Oh, great. Here come the demerits..." Beryl said under her breath. "Jana, I'm sorry. It wasn't my fault. I was weak. We played a game of cards. But I didn't cheat. I lost. Cheaters normally win, don't they?"

"Whenever you gamble, you'll eventually loose," Jana answered solemnly. "Even when you cheat."

Beryl closed her eyes in frustration. "I don't cheat..." she said quietly. "At least not on purpose."

A flicker of understanding passed through Jana's eyes and she did not accuse further. "Go check your mail," she said quietly.

"Thanks, Jana." Beryl looked over at Cloud. "You coming?"

Cloud shrugged. "I suppose I could do with free drink. Besides," he patted Oliver on the shoulder. "Someone's got to keep him out of trouble. Right, Impe?"

"Trouble?" said Impe. "I won't be any trouble. I was planning on picking up another Nilar field cauterizer for our next voyage. Mine's getting worn out." He looked at Jana. "By the way, where are we headed for our next job?"

"Yeah," said Beryl, looking at Nic, then Jana. "And what's our cargo?" She was wondering how much room it would take up, so as to know where to park her swoop when she brought it back.

Archived