Home

[RP]Obake Blade

Kyo flinched - though whether the reaction was brought about by her hand on his still-aching shoulder or the words she'd spoken so lightly was unclear. "Yeah." he said absently, quietly, glancing at the name painted on the hull. "Nice name...

"The ship is sound enough," he said, though the apprehension in his eyes didn't seem to fade in the least. "The captain is a meticulous one - he knows what he's doing. We don't have any fear of sinking or even being blown off course with this vessel." Yet, he couldn't pull his eyes away from the wood of the ship. Finally, he seemed to collect himself, looking to the others before nodding towards the ship. "Come," he said, "They should be expecting us." And with little more than that, he was leading the group up the gangplank.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toa felt cold, like all the fiery motivation and cheer he liked to have had been sucked out of him. It wasn’t as if he had never used his power: his mother was the one who taught him after all. However he couldn’t even remember the last time he had the nerve to use it, how horrifying yet seductive it was. He was a pyromancer because he liked fire, only a necromancer as well because of his mother. He was surrounded by people he considered his friends, but at that moment he felt all alone and cold. Very cold.

Stopping in front of the ship with the group, he felt his stomach lurch. Not the ocean again. Toa had concluded long ago that he was never coming back to the East again. The last voyage had been a sickening experience for him the whole way, and he didn’t have a cute aeromancer this time around to keep him company. Kyo’s apprehensiveness didn’t help either, although Aya was a bit soothing. Well, at least compared to the rest of the women in this group, who looked like they could freeze fire with their looks.

He followed the others up the plank, doing everything in his power to block out the sound of the waves, the smell, and trying most of all not to look down at them.

((OOC: Sorry about a bit of godmodding here, but just making everyone board the ship so we can get on with our trip. :) If you have a problem, well... just have your character use magic to fix it.))

~~~~~~~~

Aya, with Bob trailing behind her, followed Kyo and the rest of the group to the gangplank, but when she got there, she stopped and hung back while the others boarded. Bob, after all was a pony, and as such, he always traveled in the hold.

Toa was the last of the group to board and Aya did notice that he was a bit sluggish and unsteady walking up the plank. She thought she knew what his problem was, and reached into Bob's pack and extracted a teaspoon and a small bottle of an elixir proven to combat seasickness.

Bob, on the other hand, had another idea on how to help Toa. Nosing Aya aside, he trotted up the plank then stood there like a mountain goat, steadying the plank for the mancer until he was safely aboard.

Aya snorted. "Show off," she said to Bob. "But you won't be able to keep the boat steady for the entire trip." Bob turned his head around to look back at her, then stamped his hoof, snorted, and shook his shaggy brown mane.

Aya shook her head while she deftly twirled the bottle in her hand. "No. You're the one with the weight, hooves, and attitude. I'm the one with fingers and opposable thumbs that can hold a teaspoon. I'll give it to him."

Defeated, Bob just boarded the ship and took up a position on deck right beside Toa. Aya appeared a moment later.

"Here," she said to Toa as she measured out a teaspoon of the strong menthol smelling liquid. "Take some of of this, and you won't feel all.. woozy and spinny. Or sick," she added under her breath. "'Cause in case you haven't noticed, the boat is made of wood. I know what you get like when you sneeze. I don't want to risk what will happen if you...," she shrugged, shying away from discussing the uncomfortable topic of projectile vomiting. "... you know."

Holding the spoonful of liquid elixir, she waited for him to open his mouth.

Toa opened his mouth and allowed Aya to give him the liquid, which while it wasn’t the worst thing he had smelled, it was certainly among the most terrible in taste. Still, it not only settled his stomach but actually made the cold go away. As soon as he had gulp it down he grabbed his neck and made a comical face as if he had just drunk poison, but then relaxed and said with a grin “Twice in one day you make me all better with just something you just pull out of nowhere. Are you sure you’re not a miracle worker too?”

Then he turned to Bob and stroked his mane, saying “Not that you didn’t help. Who else can carry all those marshmallows or meat strips Hedri loves?”

Chrys and Carwyn trudged up the gangplank, the elder sibling trailing behind the younger. Chrys wore Carwyn's long grey cloak tight around her shoulders, as her clothes were still damp from the fight earlier. The siblings hadn't spoken much since the battle with the kraken, but actions spoke louder than words. Carwyn's posture was more relaxed and Chrys' normally tense stance was also eased.

As soon as they boarded the ship, Chrys peeled off to the right and turned to lean on the railing, gazing out over the wharf. Carwyn joined her, placing his bow and pack between them. After a few moments, he broke the silence. "So what's your gameplan?"

She cocked her head at him. "Gameplan?" she repeated. "Who said I had a gameplan?"

Carwyn resisted the urge to stick his tongue out at her. "Fine, course of action."

Chrys snorted. "Changing the words doesn't change the meaning, Carwyn."

"You know what I mean, stop being difficult," the ranger retorted.

"Yeah yeah," Chrys demurred, stretching her arms above her head. "I don't know what I'm going to do, to be honest. I was instructed to kill her," she said, pointed her pinky finger at Aya at the bottom of the gangplank, "but you've convinced me otherwise. So right now I don't have a purpose, a direction."

"Oh woe is you, a storm-tossed leaf in the wind," Carwyn quipped.

"Don't make me kill you, brother dear," Chrys threatened, baring her teeth. "You've already got enough enemies, you know that. Especially if you hang around that girl."

Carwyn's expression grew serious. "Because someone will be sent to finish the job you didn't complete."

Chrys nodded. "I can take care of myself, but protecting her isn't my idea of a good time."

Making a face, Carwyn pushed off the wooden railing and shouldered his things. "Well, hopefully we wont have to do too much of that on this ship."

"Whatever," Chrys said, wrapping the cloak around her body as she made to follow her brother.

The captain stepped forward, his hands clenched firmly behind his back. He gritted his teeth, and bit his tongue to avoid speaking his mind to Kyo as he took up position directly in the younger man's path. A tall, dark-skinned man came out of nowhere, and caught his eye. The captain nodded to him, then adopted what he hoped was a friendly, yet authoritative expression and demeanor, and spoke.

“Welcome aboard,” he said loudly, gesturing to the ship around him, making eye contact with each member of the boarding party in turn. “I am Balthazar, captain of the April Rain.” He indicated the tall, forbidding man standing slightly to his right and back. “This is my first mate, Melkor.” The first mate bowed stiffly, but did not speak.

"Thank you, Captain," Kyo said, nodding to Balthazar. "You have our many thanks for allowing us passage on your ship; otherwise, we're not certain how possible it would be for us to reach the mainland once again." It was evident that Kyo was trying to be as polite and business-like as possible - even his normally electrified green eyes were dead in his efforts. "My company consists of seven - this is Carwyn, our scout, and his sister, Chrys." he said, starting the introductions of the group with a motioning of his hand to the two standing by the railing. "The large one in armor is Xan, and our pyromancers, Audra and Toa. Takumi is our cook, and finally we have our healers - Maggie and Aya." He watched the captain carefully throughout the introductions, trying to gauge which of his companions had the possibility of causing...dislike in the captain's eye. But there was no clear response to any of them. "I assure you that we won't be even the slightest of troubles to you or your crew while here."

• 2 weeks later...

Not to be ignored, Aya's pony Bob snorted loudly, then stamped his foot hard on the deck and shook his shaggy-maned head before bellowing out a loud whinny.

"Oh! And this is Bob," Aya said to the ship's Captain, her cheeks blushing crimson as she was embarrassed by her equine pal's raucous behaviour. "And he won't be any trouble either."

Bob snorted again, this time sounding almost dubious.

"Once he gets settled in the hold," Aya added quickly. "Be-have, Bob," she hissed under her breath at the pony, "or you'll get us all kicked off the boat!"

Her eyes darted around the deck, looking for the hatch and hoping that there was a ramp for Bob to navigate down below. "Which is... where, Captain?" she asked tentatively.

Archived