Home

[RP]Obake Blade

Takumi was about to take a sip of ale when he stopped short. Carwyn and his sister were descending the stairs, and she was free of her bindings. His tablemates followed his gaze. Aya muffled a gasp with her hand. Kye stared at Carwyn. Maggie stood up, shifting instinctively into a defensive stance as she saw the assassin.

The bard saw the resignation and acceptance of Carwyn in Chryseis' eyes. The fire was gone and the hard set of her face had softened. Carwyn stopped at the table, shifted on his feet, and ran his hand through his hair nervously. Aya swallowed hard, eyes wide in her pale face. Takumi's chair wasn't next to Aya--if Carwyn was planning on having the assassin sit at the table, at least Aya wouldn't have to sit next to her if he gave up his seat. What was Carwyn thinking, though, putting Aya through that?

The bard stood up slowly, eyes leveled on Chryseis. "It appears Carwyn brings us more...company...tonight. Please, take my seat." It was more of a command than a request, but said with a smile so Chryseis really couldn't refuse. Takumi pulled up another chair right next to her, and Carwyn grabbed another chair to sit on her other side.

Everyone looked down at their mugs, as if the liquid would somehow change if they stared at it long enough. Takumi took another sip of ale, never taking his eyes off the assassin. After a long silence, he said, "Perhaps Carwyn and Chryseis could tell us a little story about their lives, hmm? I'm sure it will be worthy entertainment."

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After her initial shock at seeing Carwyn appear with his sister, Aya lifted her cup to take a drink, then frowned, set it down. She started to open her mouth say something, then faltered, frowned, and picked up her cup again to take a drink, which again never came to fruition. She repeated this process twice, and finally she just sat her mug on the table and stared at it and sighed.

"Perhaps Carwyn and Chryseis could tell us a little story about their lives, hmm? I'm sure it will be worthy entertainment."

Well, at least Takumi was trying to ease the awkward situation, Aya thought. But as a heavy silence remained, Aya realised that only she could break it. After taking another moment or two to get her thoughts together, she cleared her throat. It was only a little, tiny, quiet cough, but with the place so silent, to Aya it was as loud as thunder. She felt her face begin to flush, and she swallowed hard.

Aya's gaze travelled over Chryseis' raw wrists, and then over at Carwyn. She could see in his eyes that he was pained by his sister's wounds, the ones both inside and out, and she gave him a flash of a small, but reassuring grin.

"I've got a healing balm for those rope burns, if you want it." It was a statement that offered not only forgiveness for Chryseis for attempting to kill her, but also said to Carwyn that she understood his dilemma and that she was willing to help him through it, if he would let her.

Kyo's eyes hadn't left Chryseis since her face had appeared in the room, Carwyn's following short behind. It had been just a fluke that he had spotted either of them to begin with - but the shock of seeing the assassin unbound and ungagged and completely free to leave was enough to snare his attention away from all other thoughts. His fingers tightened into fists despite himself as he watched her join their table. Such a dangerous person sitting so close to Aya...and Maggie, too - though Maggie was one better than Aya. She, at least, knew how to fight.

The warrior pressed his lips into a tight, thin line as he carefully watched his friend's sister, his eyes keen and intent. Though he trusted Carwyn's judgment...it was only by a freak chance that Aya was still with them and completely unharmed. Thus, he finally broke his eye contact with the assassin to look at the merchant when she spoke, his green eyes no longer alight with suspicion...but with surprise. Chryseis had tried to kill her - she was only alive now because of a sacrifice that left their team practically shattered. And yet...here she was, offering to help heal her. He set his jaw, now unable t o pull his gaze from Aya. There was no way that he was going to chance allowing the two of them be together at any point in time....not alone. "I have some bandages saved from the monks in my pack as well." he offered from his corner, his gaze hovering on the merchant for a moment longer before turning his eyes to the assassin. "They've been soaked in ointment, which should help with the...swelling." From the cracks and snaps he had heard in the shrubbery...he was amazed she could even move.

Maggie was just as confused and concerned as everyone else as to why Carwyn had, seemingly out of the blue, brought down his extremely dangerous sister to sit with them at the table. She had noticed the ranger steal upstairs earlier, but she had thought it was just to check on Chrys. She definitely had not expected him to bring her down and have her sit with the rest of the group!

She could sense everyone tense up at the sight of Chrys and instinctively moved closer to Aya, hoping she'd be able to protect her friend just in case Carwyn's sister decided to finish what she had tried to do earlier. It was then Aya and Kyo both spoke up, offering aid to the wounded assassin. Maggie couldn't help arching an eyebrow at their charity, especially Aya's. She kept silent, however, instead choosing to scoot just a bit closer to the merchant as everyone waited with baited breath for Chrys's response.

((Thank you again FFWM12. :D ))

[Warning: Post may be a whee bit long, but don’t blame me, FFWM12 required a back story to my character’s absence, etc. :lol: ]

Earlier, several hours before the group's departure from the monastery:

Xan stood silently in his room, all his things packed, and ready, all he had to do now was open the door. So he did, and with that, he weaved his way through the monastery halls with an eerie stealth that belied his size. He was doing what he knew he had to do from the beginning, his only regret was that he was leaving Takara and Katsuro without saying goodbye, because he knew they were the only ones that would care if he left or not.

Farther north, up near a snow covered mountain range, a short time after the group's departure:

Xan stood at the foot of a long winding path of stairs heading up into the forested mountains, covered in their cold frosted blanket of snow; one in particular was his destination, Daigannin Mountain, the highest mountain of the entire range, and one of the highest points in the region. Lucky for Xan his destination was only a portion of the way to the top.

Xan looked back, his blurry vision giving him no ease, he was alone again, he was going on his own journey, and following no one, like it had always been for him, but this gave him no comfort.

After a long time of waiting he finally resigned to his fate and climbed the long path of stairs.

Near the top of the stair-path, around an hour or so after the group's departure:

Xan looked up, his exhaustion showing as he struggled to lift his legs to keep climbing the stairs, but fortune favored him, he would be at his destination in a matter of moment. And so it was, with only a few more steps he was off of the stairs, and on a terrace high up on the mountain, a small picketed fence surrounded the little plateau, and within that fence was a shrine, small and discrete, it was a well hidden building among the snow covered caps and peaks of the mountains.

Xan breathed out a sigh of relief; he had made it to his destination. Out of the flurries of snow that fell from the heavens a man seemed to materialize, holding a small lantern, and a stick with strips of paper hanging from one end, each strip had words and calligraphic symbols on them.

"Be gone you evi....” but the man stopped as he caught sight of what he was waving his stick at. "...Xan? Is it really you?" The man, whose attire, could be made out to be a Shinto priest's.

"Yes, Kazuo-senpai, it's me," Xan replied rather breathlessly. The man, Kazuo, stepped forward quickly, embracing Xan, though it looked a bit awkward considering he was trying to hug around a rather large armored figure. "It's been so long my friend, so very long," He said to the warrior in a rather sad manner.

"Indeed it has, not since the fall of Adeyaka have I been here, not since their deaths have I paid any homage. But I've come to finally say goodbye, and keep my promise," Xan told the priest rather reluctantly.

“May I?” Xan asked, motioning to the shrine.

At the monastery, a few hours after Takara, and Katsuro return to treat Tellis’ wounds:

Xan stood in the great hall of the monastery; around him were three people, Takara, Katsuro, and the Father Abbot. From them he learned of the condition of Tellis, and how she had gotten into that condition. Xan was disturbed by this, no sooner had the group left the monastery were they attacked, this didn’t bode well, and he decided it would probably be best to find them, before some other unknown, ill-boding disaster struck.

But at the very least if he wasn’t welcomed as added help, and protection, he’d at least be able to bring them news of the injured healer, and he knew they would want it, what little news there was though.

So Xan said goodbye to his good companions, and the monks, embracing Takara, and Katsuro, and making a promise to them, as well as the monks, he left to find the group.

West at the group’s former campsite, a few hours before sunset:

The brooding guard stood over what he knew was the group’s place of rest, and to him, as blind as he was, he could still see the signs of their passing, which wasn’t good.

Slipping on his helmet, seeing as he wasn’t wearing his armor at the moment, he looked around, still he could not see the details he wished, so he used his learned magical ability, the one he used not too long ago to look at Takara. With the ability active, and his helmet on, he could see the entirety of the camp, and all of the details.

‘Here…they set up their tents. Over here, was where they sat at night to converse, eat, and sit by the fire,’ Xan thought to himself as he got down, almost on all fours, and began observing the distinct signs of the camp. ‘This is where someone whittled on some wood, near the fire….wonder who it was?” He asked himself curiously, lifting a piece of the wood shavings on the ground up to eye level.

Then he began tracing the faint signs of movement from when the group had been at the camp. But all-in-all it was nothing more than the hustle and bustle of the camp, sleeping here, walking there, and bustling to get breakfast ready…. And blood! Indeed, Xan had stumbled onto the spot where the healer had been hit by the shuriken, though it was faded, he could see it, little droplets of dry blood on the grass, in the dirt.

Xan moved back towards the camp, where he found many signs of conflict, and struggle. ‘Things just turn from bad to worse with them,’ Xan thought to himself, standing up straight and removing his helmet. It would only be a short time before nightfall, the sun was setting fast, and it would be getting dark. But, there was no rest for the guard, he was determined to find the group as fast as he could, and that meant traveling as fast as he could, without stopping for rest, or food.

Inn of Enkahikru, now:

A tall, broad, muscular man sat listening to the group, he had no armor, and his clothes were different from what they had been. He wore a simple but nearly brand new montsuki, in the center, or chest of the upper-robe, was the same crest as seen on a very familiar tabard, the shield, with the dragon, the signs, and symbols of the man’s heritage on the shield, the five fires, and the seven orbs, only, instead of it being faded, and indistinguishable, it was bright, and vibrant, full of color. There was no naga-juban however, which allowed for more freedom of movement without it.

Along with the new upper-robe was a pair new umanori hakama, very well made.

And Xan wasn’t surprised they didn’t recognize him, he looked almost completely different without his armor on, or his old clothes, which had been replaced by new ones Xan’s friend, Kazuo made (several years back that is. They had to be thoroughly cleaned and refitted within a surprisingly short amount of time).

On his head was a white headband, with a very similar crest to his own (the one on the montsuki), only it lacked the symbols, and signs, as well as the dragon, but the shield, fires, and orbs were still there, only the crest on his headband was made of black embroidering, no coloring, just black and white. Unlike before, he did not cover his eyes, he had given that up, along with many of his weapons, such as his flail, warhammer, and even, yes, his Greatsword. All that remained was his Pu Dao, and his throwing axes, not to mention some Bo-shuriken he received as a parting gift from Kazuo (the clothes weren’t a gift, they were a recommendation).

Xan had traveled fast and hard, and had arrived at the inn, just in time to hear the tale of the twin city-states, which he had heard before, but had also long forgotten. The group didn’t see him, nor did he blame them, he was, surprisingly, just glad that he found them.

Xan sat pensively looking at the group with his filmy eyes, hints of deep blue behind the swirling mist of grey. He wasn’t sure what was going on, but he knew that the group obviously didn’t enjoy the presence of the girl the ranger had brought down. Seeing Aya offer medical aid, and then the swordsman (he still doesn’t know many of their names), he decided this was a now-or-never moment to let his existence be known, hopefully they wouldn’t scorn him too badly for his absence (or existence, for that matter).

“Excuse me, Master Swordsman, if you would like, I could take a look at the woman’s wounds, I’ve had experience with treating injuries, though, mostly during battle,” Xan stated, offering his more than 18 years of experience treating battle injuries (mostly his own).

Xan however did this out of common sense, not for the same reasons as the swordsman, to keep the woman away from Aya; Xan did it out of ignorance, not knowing the reasons for the group’s dislike of the woman.

“That is, if you want me to?” Xan said, not wanting to intrude on the swordsman’s offer to help the woman either.

((Well, that’s the best I’ve got for the moment, again, sorry for the length. Oh, and tell me if I did something wrong, I was kind of delirious when I typed this up. :whtsmile: ))

Chryseis looked at each of Carwyn's friends in turn as they spoke, a small sneer tugging at the corner of her lips. "I must say, they all seem so...helpful," she said to her brother. "Even to one such as I."

Carwyn rubbed his temple. "Yes, that's what makes us different from you, Chrys," he responded, then turned to look at his companions. Takumi still sat wide-eyed, looking to them expectantly. Aya's face was flushed, but he knew her offer of aid was sincere. Same went for Kyo, though he was naturally tense at the prospect of having such a dangerous person in their midst. Maggie had said nothing, but Carwyn's keen eyes had noticed her move closer to Aya. And finally, Carwyn settled his gaze on the tall, headbanded figure. He hadn't recognized the man at first, but the moment he had spoken, Carwyn knew it was Xan. The ranger was surprised at how quickly he'd managed to track the group down, but he decided to mention that later.

"Chrys is here on my invitiation," Carwyn said, knowing they would all like an explanation. "She has promised to behave herself, so please, try and tolerate her presence here."

His sister's eyebrow rose at the word 'tolerate' and her sneer grew wider. "Yes, 'tolerate' me as best you can, please," she said, her voice only containing a sliver of sarcasm. "I don't expect to be 'friends' with any of you, nor do I really want to be. But I gave my dear brother my word and I will abide by it. For now." She held her wrists out palms up, exposing the raw flesh that had been bruised by the ropes that had bound her. "I do believe some of you offered help?"

Aya was surprised, but pleased to see Xan back. He looked different to her--lighter in his step as his heavy armour was gone, but also lighter on the inside as well, as if some sort of internal burden had been lifted from his soul. As he approached and offered his help, she smiled at him and her warm brown eyes gave him a kindly wink.

"Yes, 'tolerate' me as best you can, please," Chryseis said, her voice only containing a sliver of sarcasm. "I don't expect to be 'friends' with any of you, nor do I really want to be. But I gave my dear brother my word and I will abide by it. For now." She held her wrists out palms up, exposing the raw flesh that had been bruised by the ropes that had bound her. "I do believe some of you offered help?"

Aya reached into the leather pouch attached to her belt and removed a small corked ceramic jar. Ignorant of any danger, and before anyone else could do anything, she rose and leaned forward across the table toward Chryseis.

She caught the predatory glint in Chryseis' eyes as she drew near, but Aya countered her gaze with one of her own--unwavering, fearless and calm. Chryseis had given her word to her brother, and Aya could sense, almost see the binding effect it had on the assassin. She was positive Chryseis would not harm her.

With a light but warm touch, Aya gently took up one of Chryseis' hands in hers, careful not to pain the woman in any way, and, after a cursory glance at Carwyn, began to examine her injuries.

"You know, Chryseis, it doesn't matter if we're friends or not," said Aya. "All that matters is that you know when to accept help that's freely offered to you, and that depends mainly on one's cognizance, not congeniality." She tutted softly, then slowly released Chryseis' hand so that she could take the cork stopper off the balm jar.

As Aya scooped out some of the creamy substance from the jar into her own palm, the scent of warm honey, fresh baked cookies, and spring flowers wafted into the air. It was intoxicatingly sweet, almost dizzying, but even though she had an ample amount of balm to treat both of Chryseis' wrists, she made no move to close up the jar. Instead, she grinned. "Smells nice, doesn't it, Chryseis? It always reminds me of home."

Aya began to apply the balm to the red raw flesh, her fingertips working in the cream in small clockwise circles but with a feather-light touch. "This should speed the healing and dull any pain," Aya explained. "It works rather quickly, and rather well, although, it would work best if your wrists were covered up overnight."

She glanced over her shoulder. "Could someone give me some strips of clean cloth we could use as bandages, please?"

Xan's gaze was blank as he stared off at seemingly nothing, but when Aya turned to greet him with a smile and a wink, it was as if he saw it, and he looked in her direction with a minute smile of his own, though his semi-blind eyes did more of the smiling. He was, after all, still a hardened warrior, and it had only been a few days too, it would take him awhile to become more open, and friendly enough to smile outwardly in any way.

"Yes, 'tolerate' me as best you can, please," the woman said, Xan detecting a hint of sarcasm in her words. "I don't expect to be 'friends' with any of you, nor do I really want to be. But I gave my dear brother my word and I will abide by it. For now. I do believe some of you offered help?"

Xan felt this woman wasn't the friendliest of persons, nor did anyone really like her, he kind of caught that fact. What he didn't understand was why no one liked her. He ignored this, for now, as he was quite pleased with this opportunity to show he was more than a walking suit of soulless armor, now that he was back.

"You know, Chryseis, it doesn't matter if we're friends or not," said Aya. "All that matters is that you know when to accept help that's freely offered to you, and that depends mainly on one's cognizance, not congeniality." Aya continued, taking out, and opening a jar, while Xan covered his mouth to let out a little chuckle at Aya's calm, and even somewhat kind chastisement of the woman.

"Smells nice, doesn't it, Chryseis? It always reminds me of home." Xan smiled, it didn't quite remind him of home, but it came relatively close.

"This should speed the healing and dull any pain," Aya explained. "It works rather quickly, and rather well, although, it would work best if your wrists were covered up overnight." Xan nodded at this, he never knew the young woman was so medically minded.

"Could someone give me some strips of clean cloth we could use as bandages, please?"

Xan glanced over in the swordsman's direction, he wasn't quite sure if he should do anything, the swordsman had offered first, but the self-segregated man seemed to have clammed up, and wasn't offering anymore aid. So, as Xan was the only other one to offer his services, he decided to step up to the plate, and do what was needed.

"Here," the tall, relatively quiet man offered, reaching into his pack, he pulled out a roll of gauze cloth. Throughout Xan's combat career he'd learned that gauze were the miracle cloth; they could be used for wrapping your hands in (like what Xan did during the boxing match), putting temporary grips on weapons, and for patching up wounds, though it was a bit rough too. They could even be cleaned and reused several times. So he always carried some with him.

Xan took the roll handing it to Aya.

Aya gratefully took the gauze roll from Xan. "Thank you, Xan," she said, smiling at him. "It's good to see you back."

She gently began to unwrap the gauze, but still did not cap up the jar of sweet-smelling ointment, allowing the intoxicating fragrance to envelope her, Chryseis, and anyone around them like a warm, cozy blanket.

"You know, I'm not sure that you two have been properly introduced," she said to Chryseis while she began to bandage the woman's wrists. "Chryseis, this is Xan. He's a warrior--former soldier, I believe--and has been traveling with us since we left for Ryuu-Tokai.

"Xan, this is Chryseis, Carwyn's sister. She belongs to some sort of assassin's cult. Or is it a guild? I'm still a bit confused on the specifics. Anyway, I don't know how long she's been in her current career, but her latest target was me." She paused, but just long enough to look up at Xan and let him know that she didn't want any trouble, and then continued in a normal conversational tone. "She failed, obviously, wounding Tellis instead which led her to experience some rather 'unpleasant' consequences at the hand of her very own brother...," She glanced tentatively at Carwyn. "But, with her not completing her task, I would presume that her employer won't be very pleased and that Chryseis will be looking for another line of work soon."

She tied off the last bandage. "There," she said to Chryseis. "Bet that feels better now."

"And now that it does," Kyo said, shrugging away from the wall, arms still folded over his chest, "Perhaps it's about time we head up to bed. It's getting late, and we'll be starting early again tomorrow."

As he spoke, his eyes slowly scanned the room - which, by this time, had emptied entirely save for one or two late-night hang arounds. There was still quite a bit to be done - including finding a ship and a captain that would be willing to take them back to the mainland, and it would probably be wise stock up on supplies while they could - but all of that could wait until tomorrow morning.

((Sorry for the craptastic post, but...we've gotta start moving this along =P))

((Jumbo-sized joint postiness with Jasra :3))

Chryseis examined the bandages that Aya had wrapped her wrists in. The ointment was soothing and it made her raw wrists feel a lot better. Still, she couldn't help glancing over at her brother while Aya was wrapping them, knowing that he was watching her for any untoward movements toward the young merchant. She'd kept her word to him, however, keeping her hands perfectly still while they were being attended to. His discomfiture was enough.

"Bet that feels better now."

"It does," Chrys replied, her voice neutral. She was about to add "and you're wrong" about the other things that Aya had said, but the swordsman cut her off.

"And now that it does, perhaps it's about time we head up to bed. It's getting late, and we'll be starting early again tomorrow."

"Duly noted, fearless leader," Chryseis said dryly, rising out of her seat. "Don't think you'd deprive me of a bite to eat and a bit of fresh air, however." She sauntered slowly towards the kitchen, sliding her fingers over the wooden chairs and tables.

Carwyn watched her go, then rubbed his hand over his face and sighed deeply. He looked at each of his companions in turn, staring at Kyo and Aya last. "Right, sorry for the sudden surprise, guys," he apologized wearily.

"It's ok. I mean, it's not like you knew she was going to show up out of the blue and try to kill me," Aya replied, as she recorked the ointment jar. "Right?"

"No, definitely not," he said. "Thanks for being so calm around her...I know it wasn't easy."

"You know, Carwyn, I don't think I could have managed 'calm' without this," she replied, tapping the jar with her finger. "The fragrance calms people. Me especially," she added with a weak smile. She put the jar back in her pouch and then rose from the table. "Well, I need to check on Bob before bed. I won't be long."

The ranger glanced again towards the kitchen, standing out of his seat as well. "I'll come with you, to say good night to Bob as well," he said, moving off after her.

-----

Carwyn leaned up against the wooden doorpost leading into the stable and sighed again. "You stayed pretty calm back there, Aya," he said wearily.

"It was the balm," she answered as she began to brush Bob's coat. "Otherwise, I would have been shaking in my boots." She was quiet for moment, then said, "You certainly did a number on her. Must have tied those ropes pretty tight."

"Can you blame me? You've see what she's capable of." He clenched his fist tightly, then released it. "Do you think I would put our friends at risk with her around?" He turned to look directly at her. "Do you think I would put you at risk?"

"But she's your sister, Carwyn." Aya turned to look at him, confusion in her eyes. "She might have done some bad things, but... she's still your sister." She looked away for a moment. "I don't know if I could have done what you did if our places were reversed." She pressed her lips together tightly. "I think I would have just let her go. Stopped her, but let her go."

"Let her go?" Carwyn repeated, his voice strangely quiet. "I've been looking for her for what seems like forever and you want me to let her go? Let her go free to stalk us again, to try and hurt us again?" He pushed off the post and took a few slow steps into the stable. "I did what I had to, to ensure our safety. She's my sister, yes, but she's not the sister I grew up with. She's...something else. Something dangerous. Please understand that."

"I'm trying to," Aya said, as she brushed Bob with more vigor. "It's just...well, I just didn't expect you to be so...I mean, I thought you were...." She let out a frustrated sigh and shifted her weight uncomfortably. "I didn't know you could be so... so...." She pressed her lips together as if afraid to say the word. Then quietly it came out. "Violent."

Carwyn moved to where Aya and Bob were and knelt down next to them. The pony cast a look at him with a big baleful eye, and he rubbed Bob's mane in response. After a few moments of silence, Carwyn reached out and placed his hands over Aya's stopping their brushing. Clasping them in his own, he looked down at the ground for a few more seconds, then brought his head up to lock eyes with the young merchant's. "To tell the truth, Aya," he started, "I didn't know I could be so violent either. But when I saw Chrys throw that knife at you...and I couldn't stop her..." His voice cracked slightly. "I thought I was going to lose you, Aya. I thought she was going to take you away from me. And that scared me so much. So much." He paused, gathering his thoughts. "And when Tellis saved you by taking that knife herself, it was just too much. I couldn't bear the thought of losing you and Tellis... and I just lost it. I'm sorry, Aya. I truly am, and I know it's not me, but I just..." He stopped and looked down again, squeezing her hands, not knowing what more to say.

"So, your sister isn't herself anymore, and you're not yourself anymore... this journey has changed us all." She tightened her grip on his hands. "Which makes it all the more important to try to stay as true to ourselves as we can. The closer we seem to get to finding the Obake Blade, the more things seem to change around us. Forces are at work against us, Carwyn. Dark forces. It's not Chryseis' fault that she is the way she is. We need to help her, but.. if she won't accept it then there's not much we can do. Just... let her go. You won't be helping her by keeping her against her will, and if she's working with those who intend to do us harm, they'll just send someone else when she fails to return."

"I've already struck a deal with her, and bound her to it," Carwyn said. "Some bonds between brother and sister are not so easily broken, even in circumstances like this." His thumb stroked the back of her hand. "That's why I even let you touch her. She's on our side, for now. Still, watch yourself around her. She was ready enough to take your life, and that definitely does not sit well with me." He exhaled again. "She brought out the worst in me, and I hate that, because that's not who I am." He squeezed her hands again. "You know the real me, don't you?"

Aya lowered her eyes, smiling at him softly. "I know you have a good heart, Carwyn Stormchild," she said. "And that's all I need to know."

Her soft brown eyes looked up at his, and then she leaned in to kiss him. He returned the kiss; it was tender and soft, and it soothed Carwyn's frayed nerves even more than the fragrant ointment had. They held it for a few more seconds, then parted, the both of them smiling at each other. As Carwyn opened his mouth to say something, a velvety nose bumped into the side of his head, followed by a whicker. The ranger chuckled and turned to rub Bob between the eyes. "Yes, I know you believe in me too, you magnificent steed, you," Carwyn said.

• 2 weeks later...

With Bob safely tucked up, Aya and Carwyn returned hand in hand from the stable to the inn, both fully intent on taking a long-deserved rest. The main area of the inn was now quiet—just the innkeeper cleaning up empty abandoned mugs and an old man with his head down on a table snoring loudly but sleeping peaceably. And then there was Kyo.

He was standing at the far window, broodingly staring out into the night, his brow a bit furrowed with deep thoughts. Aya exchanged a look of concern with Carwyn, and then with a nod between them, she slowly let her fingers slide from his grip and she headed over towards Kyo while Carwyn continued up the stairs.

“It’s dark, isn’t it,” Aya commented quietly as she joined him at the window. “I mean, it’s night and all so it’s supposed to be dark, but… it’s really dark. No stars.”

Kyo nodded slowly, making no sign that he was surprised in the least by Aya's approach - and well he shouldn't have. It had come to the point that he was able to discern her from anyone else, merely by her footsteps. "It's an...uneasy notion." he murmured, his eyes hardly shifting from the scene beyond the window. "I've never been one for omens, but somehow...the air just seems different now as we near the Continent again. Almost as if..."

“Darkness is taking form?” Aya suggested.

A low 'hmm' was the only answer she received, the green-eyed warrior apparently quite distracted with his own thoughts. However, after a moment of silence, his gaze finally turned to her; the statue was coming to life. "Are you alright, Miss Aya?" he asked. "I know that these past few days have been rather...exciting for you."

Aya grinned. “Dragons, rock snakes, assassins…yeah, exciting about covers it all,” she said. “But I’m fine. More than fine, actually. The last few days I’ve felt like I’ve had…” She pressed her lips together firmly as she thought of the right word. “Purpose.”

A smirk pulled up the corners of his lips ever so slightly - though if one were to look closely enough, there was a lack of amusement in his eyes. "Purpose with our dear ranger friend, you mean?" he asked, his eyebrows raising suggestively.

Aya tutted, and rolled her eyes. “That’s not what I meant,” she said flippantly. “I mean, purpose of being. Like, I’m supposed to be here on this quest with you. Divine purpose, I guess.” She shivered. “Guess that creepy old woman might have been right….”

"And you thought that I was a madman for believing her," he said, his smirk becoming a lopsided half-grin as he turned back to the table the group had occupied earlier that night, pulling his sword from where it was strapped across his back and laying it instead across his knees as he took a seat. "First the old woman, then the dangers of the canyon...when will you begin to listen to me?" he asked - though there was no trace of annoyance or anger in his voice. Rather, it sounded almost as if...he were picking on her.

“You’re starting to sound like my mother,” Aya commented as she followed him across the room. She leaned up on the edge of the table next to him. “So, fearless leader, where do we go from here?”

"You know about as much as I do." he answered her, his joking expression faltering in light of darker thoughts. His mind was already seeing far over the horizon to the craggy plains and jagged mountains that were to become their destination. "Search out a ship and a captain to ferry us back to the mainland, and...westward from there."

"Sounds like plan," Aya said. "And sounds like an early start." She yawned. "I'm heading up to bed."

His eyes raised to find hers...but for a moment, he said nothing. After what seemed like an eternity of silence to him, he finally nodded. "Goodnight, then, Miss Aya."

“Miss?” Aya chuckled. “We’ve been traveling together for how long now? Please, just call me Aya. ‘Miss’ makes me feel… I dunno….” She grinned playfully. “Upper class.”

He smirked in return. "Isn't that the point, Miss Aya?"

She shook her head, but she was smiling with amusement. “You always make me feel that I’m more than I am, Kyo.”

What was he to say to that? At this point, she meant more to him than anyone else in their ragtag band of travelers - but how was he to tell her that? Put simply...he wasn't. "Perhaps there's simply more to you than you know."

“I suppose we’ll find that out along the way,” Aya said, shrugging. “Good night, Kyo.” She kissed him lightly on the cheek, as she would a brother, then started for the stairs.

• 2 weeks later...

((JP with Rex))

Looking miserably through the blanket he sneezed/incinerated, Toa let out a sickly sigh and dropped the black remains. He sat on the bed, content to go without blanket, but then another sneeze escaped from him. More dust was shaken up at this and suddenly Toa was in a sneezing fit, flames lighting up the room every second or so as the dust ridden bed shook more and more. Just when the room threatened to burst into flame due to the heat and Toa's sneeze-induced flames, Audra burst into the room, her face screwed up in near-rage.

"Your lack of control, even in sickness is appalling," she snarled, calling on her own power to suppress Toa's flames even as they were generated.

“Forgibe *sneeze* me *sneeze* prinecess! *sneeze* I’m not * sneeze* cute and uptight * about myself *sneeze*.” Toa replied, his sneezing not slowing down. Matters were not helped by the fact that the bed supports actually snapped and sent Toa tumbling to the floor, his sneezes suddenly getting dangerously close the wooden texture of it. Continuing to suppress Toa's flaming outbursts, Audra reached down and pulled him to his feet, which accomplished two things. First, it brought him away from the flammable wood, and second it put his nose above most of the dust cloud he'd kicked up.

"No, I'll agree there," Audra said coldly. "You're hardly cute... in any way. But honestly. A sneeze triggering your power? That's like the movement of an ant causing a massive rockslide!"

“More like a geomancer ant. I love fire enough to make it me. Sorta like those fire creatures in stories except I’m not made of it. And I’d like to think that at least some girls find me cute. I mean, two sadistic ex-girlfriends doesn’t help, but I’ve gotten looks.” Toa said in his defense, when he suddenly realized he didn’t sneeze. He smiled brightly despite how he felt and was about to say something when another sneeze snuck out.

Audra rolled her eyes, caught his sneeze-flames in her right hand, and held the little ball of flame there for a moment before closing her fist around it. "Admitting to two sadistic exes might suggest you're attracted to sadism, you half-witted moron. And I'm sure most of the looks you claim to have been given were looks of astonishment at the thought that you'd attempt to win a woman's approval."

“By sadistic I was thinking more along the lines ‘tried to kill me in my sleep’ *sneeze* sort of thing and then turning into the pain-lover, not pain-lover first and then ‘tried to kill me in my sleep’. *sneeze* That’d be a bit counter-intuitive for a pyromancer since we’re all lovely people with good cheer. Besides, *sneeze* you’re just jealous because you can’t have fun *sneeze* from the sounds of it.” Toa replied, his sneezes now more heated.

Audra wrinkled her nose. "That's... not what I meant, and if you had a full understanding of language, you might have picked that up. I was merely implying you're attracted to people who enjoy hurting others..." She sighed, exasperated. "Isn't there anything to stop your sneezing?"

“It’s almost *sneeze* done. Dust’s *sneeze* settling dow- *sneeze* -n.” Toa replied, pausing for a moment afterwards. It was silent for a few moments, and after Toa was sure that he wasn’t going to sneeze, he let out a sigh of relief and said “Finally. Being sick used to get me out of practice, but now it’s all hell. Well, not entirely at least. The building hasn’t burned down and a pretty girl’s standing in front of me.”

Audra rolled her eyes. "It's only because of me that this building hasn't caught fire yet," she snapped. "And if you're entirely done sneezing, I'm gone..."

“Well, unless you’ve got a feather duster somewhere on your tight person, I won’t be staying here. I’d burn the place down in my sleep with how dusty this place is.” Toa said, with definite truth. A dust cloud had been raised from just that bed alone, which was now broken and its blanket incinerated.

Audra frowned thoughtfully as she considered Toa's words. He was right. If he was forced to sleep in this room, with its incinerated blanket and broken bed, not only would he be uncomfortable, but he would set the place on fire. Not ideal. With a weary sigh, she nodded. "My room is less dusty. Sleep there... I'll come up with an alternative for myself."

“Nah, I’ll just stay downstairs or something.” Toa insisted, though now it was obvious the fever was starting on come up on him again.

"Don't be a fool," Audra snapped. "Or at least not any more of one than you already have been. You're ill. You ought to be in a bed. I am in perfect health. I will stay downstairs."

“Alright, although isn’t that the girl’s room you’re supposed to be in?” Toa asked.

Audra smirked. "With as much failed wooing as you've been doing in my direction, are you really complaining at that?"

"Hey, I think I'm getting through at some points so let me have my fun. At any rate, I'm still not exactly a frequent goer of bunking with other women." Toa replied.

"Fine," Audra growled. "Sleep where you like. But don't expect me to stay with you." And with that, she left the room, leaving Toa to his decision.

• 3 weeks later...

((JP with Writer))

Audra groaned softly as she opened her eyes. She had to admit that giving up her bed to prevent the entire inn from being burned down was one of her more painful decisions, and she could only hope that it was worth it. Slowly, she worked her way into a sitting position in the common room booth where she'd spent the night. And that's when she realized she wasn't alone.

Chrys sat at a small table a few feet away, a steaming mug of coffee clutched in her hands. Her short blonde hair was slightly tousled and her face and arms still bore nicks and bruises, but her keen blue eyes were alert and focused on Audra. She said nothing however, lifting the mug to her lips and taking a small sip.

Audra scowled in return, demanding sharply, "What?"

Chrys' lips held a faint smirk. "The way you sleep is amusing."

Audra snorted. "You mean, restless and precious little of it?" She shrugged, wincing a little at the stiffness prompted by sleeping where she had. She noted the mug in Chrys' hands and added, "Coffee? Where can I get some of that?"

"There," Chrys replied, gesturing to a long table next to the kitchen door which held a few pots of coffee as well as a number of breakfast items.

Audra thanked her and went to get a cup. When she returned, she sat at Chrys' table, directly across from her. "And what about you? You're up early." She glanced over to a window. "It's just barely getting light."

"I don't sleep very much," Chrys replied before taking another sip.

Audra nodded. "After last night," she started, but she cut herself off abruptly and shook her head. "I..." she tried again. With a sigh, she finally said, "This group we find ourselves with... they're so... rare. You don't find people like this gathered together. Almost never."

Chrys arched an eyebrow at the darker-haired girl. "People like what, exactly?"

Audra frowned. "They're so... trusting. I mean, look at us. You tried to kill them. I tried to steal from them. And yet, here we are, both free to drink our coffee in the quiet of the early morning."

Chrys' eyes narrowed. "You didn't have your arms dislocated or your face punched in," she said evenly.

Audra shook her head, brushing her left hand across what was left of the faint bruise Kyo had given her there in their brief fight. "Perhaps not," she agreed, "but I got a few solid knocks. And you don't look much the worse for wear. And you've got your arms back where they belong."

"Sure," Chrys snorted, taking another swig. "You never know when they might decide that we're dangerous and have to be... dealt with."

Audra frowned thoughtfully. "Their relative kindness to me... I hadn't thought of that possibility..."

"I have. And it's only a matter of time before they act on it," Chrys stated matter-of-factly. "We're outsiders in a group of outsiders."

Audra nodded. "You're right." She scowled. "I'm a fool to have let Aen..." A sharp intake of breath. "... myself be drawn in by their actions. After all I've been through? Ugh!"

"All you've been through?" Chrys smirked. "Sorry, I was too busy being beaten to death by my brother to hear your life's story."

Audra frowned thoughtfully. "I'll keep that short. Orphaned, raised as a servant and playmate for a princess, given to her father upon her marriage, beaten, had a daughter, burned an empire to the ground. Been on the road ever since."

Chrys gave Audra a look before finishing her mug of coffee. "Impressive."

Audra smirked. "It's a lot for twenty-seven years, I know..." Her smirk faded and she leaned forward. "When they decide we're too dangerous, know I'm with you. We were both of us subdued easily alone. Perhaps we can do better together, if it should come to that."

Chrys' face was impassive. "I work alone," she stated. "I'll keep your offer under advisement, however."

Audra's expression darkened for a moment. Then, she stood, finished her own coffee and stalked away, saying, "If anyone asks, I've had a bad night and am walking to relieve my stiffness."

"I'll be sure to tell your sickly pyromancer friend if I see him," Chrys called after Audra.

• 2 weeks later...

"Good morning!" a sing-song, melodic voice streamed through the air as Aya, smiling and looking refreshed, dewey, and energized, bounced her way through the back door of the inn and into the common room. She poured herself a cup of coffee, put a roll and some butter on a plate, picked up a knife, then carried the whole lot over and sat down directly across from Chrys.

She laid the knife across the top of her plate while she took a long sip of her coffee.

"Oh, that's good coffee," she said to Chryseis while she inhaled the scented steam rising from her mug. "I'm not going to ask if there's anything else they put in it, because I really don't want to know, but, oh, that's good stuff." She sipped her coffee again, making a little burbling slurp as she savoured the taste. "My third cup of the day, you know. Been up before the crack of dawn, getting Bob all packed up and ready to go. It's lovely outside. No trace of rain, no hint of any clouds, light fresh breeze. I think the weather will be very favourable for our travels today."

Her eyes flicked down to the knife and back again. It had been sitting between her and Chryseis the entire time and Chrys hadn't yet touched it.

"So, how are your rope burns on your wrists this morning?" Aya asked the assassin. "Any better?"

• 2 weeks later...

Chrys arched a thin eyebrow at Aya's exuberance. The merchant woman certainly was...excitable when she'd had coffee. Chrys observed Aya take a plate, a knife and some food from the breakfast table and place it between the two of them. It was obvious she was being tested. Chrys hadn't given the knife a second look since Aya had placed it in the middle; she didn't need to. If she wanted to kill the young merchant, she certainly didn't need a knife to do it. She mulled over letting Aya know that fact while listening to the effervescent woman's bubbly talk. Chrys decided against it for the moment and instead folded her hands in front of her.

"So, how are your rope burns on your wrists this morning? Any better?"

Chrys glanced down at her arms; the ointment had indeed helped her frayed skin, her wrists were pink and only slightly abraded, a far better state than the ugly purple and blue splotches from the day before. "Yes, they seem to be doing better. I suppose I should be grateful." She cocked her head to the side. "Not sure how you make it as a merchant, however, if you give your products away so freely without any token of recompense."

Aya grinned and let out a small chuckle. "That's why you're not a merchant. There is no better way to sell a healing product than to let people see the results of it first hand. You, my friend, are a walking billboard for that balm. Proof that it works."

She spread some butter on the bread and took a bite.

"And with you being what you are--no offense, but, somewhat hostile, a bit stand-offish, and not really the type of person that comes across as someone's lackey--why that makes it all the better. People know that you, Ms. Hostile Tough-girl Assassin, wouldn't be lying about how the balm has worked. So, if I wanted to sell the balm, which I don't at the moment because we've got more important things to do like catch a boat today, then I've no doubt that I could sell it."

Aya popped the rest of the buttered bread in her mouth, sloshed down her coffee, then laid down the knife on her plate, and then rose from her chair.

"Want some more coffee?" she asked Chrys as she looked into her empty cup. "I'm having just one more before we go." Aya grinned. "Helps me from getting seasick."

Takumi woke when the rays of sunlight crept over the window sill, softened by the ancient film of grime on the glass panes. He stretched, opened his mouth in a wide yawn, and caught a lungful of dust. He sneezed. Then he sneezed again. He squeezed his nose together to stop the next fit of sneezing and gulped back the spasms, which only served to make his stomach hurt.

I need to get out of here before Toa wakes up, he thought. The poor thing had finally fallen asleep after Takumi made him drink a mug of grog mixed with an herbal remedy for coughing that Aya had in her stores.

The bard grabbed the fastest thing he could slip on, stepping into his pants as he walked to the door. He opened it slowly. The door creaked on its hinges, but not loudly enough to wake the other sleepers. Takumi grabbed his nose again as another spasm of sneezing wracked him and dashed down the stairs. Once outside, he took some deep breaths of the cool early morning air, sneezing several more times before he finally cleared the dust from his lungs. He walked slowly down a short dirt path to the garden that served the inn and strolled through the rows of plants and vines that bowed down with their heavy bounties of vegetables. He leaned against the rough-hewn planks of the fence, chewing absently on one of the anise seeds he'd plucked from the herb section.

Odd troupe we have--the quiet reluctant leader, the ranger with the a sister as deadly as she was beautiful, a young merchant girl who can talk to her horse, a monk, and more 'mancers in one place than I've seen since I've done a play for the 'mancery college in the capital. Takumi's head whirled a moment at the sudden premonition that Fate destined them for something important. And something dangerous.

"My mind still goes back to that story you told last night." It was unmistakeably Audra's voice, and presently, she stalked forward from behind Takumi and into his sight range. Turning to face him, she placed her hands on her hips and scowled faintly. "A matter of interest to me, Bard. Where did you hear it? And who told it to you?"

In the first few months after the event in Takumi's story, Audra had worked hard to spread rumors of how the Empire was destroyed. Through her meddling, wild stories sprang up of a fire goddess worshiped by Northerners, who had grown angry with them for harming a child. So far as Audra knew, there were only a handful of people who knew the truth, but she didn't think any of them would admit to that truth...

... except perhaps the ten-year-old girl Audra had left with a close friend two years earlier...

The door flew open with a wild swing beneath the warrior's fist, crashing hard against the wall and rattling on its hinges as he stalked through. He didn't bother to shut it behind him - but he'd hit it with enough force that it slowly began to return to place, even as it shuddered and rattled. He looked at no one, and said nothing as he passed across the room, moving to the same small table that bore the coffee and hot rolls that Aya had stopped at only minutes before. He poured himself a steaming hot cup of black coffee, moving to sit in a corner by himself.

The warrior's eyes were stormy as he kicked a seat back against the wall, dropping his sword unceremoniously by its side and sitting down, his feet kicked up on the seat across from him. He glared hard at the far wall before lifting the cup to his lips - but he paused with it just a slight inch from his lips, looking up to speak. "The boat's leaving at noon." he announced to no one in particular, and then, with no heed for the scalding heat of the drink, took a long draw from his coffee.

((Sorry for not posting, guys XD I've been away for most of the summer.))

Toa woke up to the lower mumble of people chatting downstairs and the loud crack of a door being slammed open, the latter not being too pleasant considering his fever was still in effect, with a full blown headache as to top it. He wasn’t sneezing when he woke up though, and for that he was grateful. He sat up, the feel of the sun shining at him from the window being the only source of pleasant feeling in his sickly state. The sun capitalized on how he looked though, his eyes cloudy and his forehead pale despite the amount and degree of heat he was radiating, not just from his head, but his body now. Still Toa got up from his bed, made it neatly for any unfortunate person to use it again, put a nice smile of his face, and left the room, walking down the stairs and into the main part of the inn where everyone was getting ready for the day ahead.

Toa widened his smile, despite however fake it was and however awful he felt, at everyone and headed over the coffee. He poured himself a cup, took a sip, and then frowned. He placed his hand over the top of the cup and the coffee began to boil. He took another sip, frowned, and repeated the process, the coffee literally evaporating and the cup turning fiery red. He took yet another sip and still frowned. When he placed his hand over it again, all the coffee literally evaporated in one puff of steam, streaming past his face with heat that would melt the flesh off of anyone else’s bones. Then he set the cup back on the table, before quickly taking it back up again when the table began to smoke.

Disappointed with that, Toa picked up one of the hot rolls and carried his empty molten cup to sit at the table Aya and the other new girl were sitting at. At first he just sat down and laid his forehead against the table. When it began to smoke, he lifted his head to look at the women and take a bite out of his hot roll.

“Should’a listened to mom about how to deal with getting sick. You aren’t like a normal person she said. You’re fire and death, you don’t get sick like everyone else.” Toa suddenly said half-consciously almost, half laughingly.

Chrys arched an eyebrow Kyo's abrupt entrance and subsequent behavior; she didn't have to know him well to figure out that something was bothering him. His movements, his posture...they told her the whole story. His words were curt, clipped and economical, as if he was afraid saying more would cause him to explode. Chrys idly considered goading him about his night, but before she could put it to words, the pyromancer from the night before came clomping down the stairs.

He was apparently feeling worse for the wear as he melted a coffee mug before coming to sit at the same table as she and Aya. He rocked his head forward onto the table for a few moments, then brought it up smoking, ostensibly from the heat of his forehead. Chrys noted with disdain the steam rising from the wood.

"Should’a listened to mom about how to deal with getting sick. You aren’t like a normal person she said. You’re fire and death, you don’t get sick like everyone else."

Chrys could barely contain the sarcasm from dripping off of her words. "If you never get sick, then how and why did your mother tell you to deal with getting sick?" she asked, a sneer on her lips.

"I'll tell you what I'm sick of," Aya said. "All this negativity. Sickness, sneering, sadness...." She shook her head. "Whatever the nature is of the force, or forces, that have been drawing all of us together, evil is certainly playing a part. And I, for one, am not going to encourage it." She smiled at Chryseis.

"It a beautiful morning, the weather is fair, our boat leaves at midday...." She cast a glance in Kyo's direction as she spoke. "...and we should have blue, calm seas for our journey."

Rising from her chair, she stretched her arms up over her head. "Bob and I are going to take a walk on the shore. Give him some exercise before we board the ship. Maybe do a bit of beachcombing. You never know what the waves can wash up on the shore." She headed for the door. "We'll be back in plenty of time, so if anyone wants to join us, feel free."

Giving a quick glance to Kyo once more, she left the tavern.

“Certainly better than this place,” Toa said taking one last bite out of his hotroll, which turned to ash in his mouth. He still swallowed though, and walked out of the inn to join Aya. He may not have been completely in his right mind at the moment, but he still had enough remember to know that every time one of the group (well, okay, just him) had left for a short time, something bad had happen. The last thing he was going to do was let something bad happen to the person who had saved his life twice already, even if it was all just superstition on his part. Well, that and that woman back there wasn't pleasant to be around. He didn't like the look or feel of her.

Walking alongside her after catching up, Toa randomly said “I miss volcanic air. Or was it the magma sea’s air? Hard to remember with this fever. The air here is too light.”

Kyo looked up as he felt someone's gaze on him - and he didn't need to rake the room for the source of the look, somehow able to judge immediately that it was Chrys', and thus looking up to catch her eyes head on. His eyes flashed with all the welcomeness of emerald ice - a silent warning to keep her silence. Luckily - for both her and him, as well as everyone else in the group - Toa came down just in time to divert everyone's attention from the obviously disgruntled warrior, meaning he was left in peace to his stormy thoughts. Allowing his eyes to drift to the table's worn wood, he didn't look up again until the scrape of wood-on-wood reached his ears. He watched Aya rise out of her chair and head for the door, catching her eye for just a moment before she turned towards the back door. Was it a silent invitation, perhaps? Or was she, like everyone else, wondering exactly what it was that was going through the mind of their quiet but deranged leader? He was contemplating taking her open invitation to join her - until Toa quickly leaped up to join her.

Like a dog who was called by his master, he thought bitterly to himself, sinking deeper into his seat, more determined than ever to revel in his anger and annoyance. But as he watched Toa exit through the same door Aya had just disappeared through, he breathed a sigh, hanging his head slightly. He had no right to think such things of Toa. He wasn't the one that was the center of his annoyance now, and so had no reason to be involved in the warrior's backlash.

Archived