Home

[RP]Obake Blade

((Here we go!))

Smoke swirled around him as Kyo descended to the cantina that was housed beneath the inn, a pack slung over one shoulder.

The cantina was small, and generally a peaceful place. Though there was a good number of people there, the only sound was the dull murmur of voices in conversation and the chinking of mugs against wood and against each other. Several people were smoking, a habit that the man detested, but other than that he saw nothing wrong with the scene.

From what he could see, he was the only one armed at the moment. His longsword strapped over his back and two daggers in his belt, he saw no other threat in the room.

Sitting in the corner, leaning his chair back against the wall, sat the caravan leader. He was of middle age, dressed in simple tan clothing. Nothing of his appearance caused a passerby to believe him to be the leader of a caravan, but if you were to speak to the man you would find he had a rather tangible air of authority about him. Kyo himself knew nothing of him, but he had little worries of things getting out of hand on his caravan.

“Irithoi Radly.” Kyo spoke up as he approached him, “You are the one leading the caravan to Ryuu-Tokai, are you not?”

“I am.” the man sat up putting his hands on the table, “You here to sign up?”

Kyo nodded.

“What sorta reason d’you have for goin’ to Ryuu-Tokai? Nothin’ personal, we just don’t wanna be transporting illegals.”

“Suppose you could say it was business.” Kyo answered, pulling out the piece of papyrus that he had kept securely on his person ever since the death of his grandfather, “I have a few questions for someone about the script here.”

“Ah, yer a scholar, huh?” Irithoi answered, pulling out what looked to be a small journal and making a mark, “Right, you’re in.”

“Thank you.” Kyo nodded, turning around and headed back over to the bar, taking a seat.

“What can I do you for?” the barkeep asked.

“Water, please.” he answered, his eyes never leaving the scrap of paper in his hand. The barkeep said nothing and moved nowhere, as if waiting for a punchline.

“Er…water, sir?”

Kyo looked up at him without moving his head, his eyes hard. “Yes. Water.”

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jonas appeared about a minute or so later, he talked to the same man that Kyo did and sat down two seats away from Kyo and ordered a beer. He slowly sipped the beer as he stared at the wall, his mind seemed to have wondered off as he simply starred at the beer for some time.

((First post/reply, *says in Duffman style* "Ohhh Yeah"))

Even got to the cantine a little late, having been delayed by a fistfight in the streets. But it had been worthwhile. He had made sure a good few theives would think twice before messing with him again. Hmm, his tripeak had been lost in the scuffle. He would have to get a tailor to make another before he left town- better yet, a few spares as well.

When he found the caravan, there were only two people there. Neither of them looked like old old salts- or even old- and they were drinking a a glass of water and not drinking a mug of beer. He was needed alright. He sat down and told the man the other two had talked two that he was with the caravan. "Waiter. Get me a pigot of Ed's special grog! And don't water it down too much!" "Yes, sir." While he waited for his drink, he took a look at the two people that he would be spending the next few months with, likely. "Even Crossblades, at your service! So! Which one of you is in charge of this... merry little party?"

OOS: Steven, don't you mean you stared at the beer, not at the bear?

Hoshiko had joined the caravan a while before, but had left the place and started walking around the town for a breath of fresh air. After about half an hour, she returned and stepped back into the cantina, slightly behind a tough-looking man with four axes. Her lip curled in disgust as she reached the floor, and she waved her hand in front of her face to try to dissipate the stench. Ugh, they were still smoking. Someone was always smoking.

As the man walked over and ordered a drink, then started talking to two other people, Hoshiko sat down two seats away.

"And what'll you have?" the bartender asked. Hoshiko turned to him with an annoyed expression.

"A breeze," she said. "A wind. A full-blown storm. Anything that will sweep away this infernal pollution."

"Umm, sorry, we don't sell breezes here," the bartender said. Hoshiko shook her head. Why do people always choose this type of place to meet?

"Then leave me in peace." The bartender shrugged and moved away.

Carwyn noted each of the new arrivals from his place at the end of the bar where he sat, nursing his glass of milk. He idly wondered how many of them would be joining the caravan, himself having signed up with Irithoi only a few minutes prior to the tall man with the sword. It was clear the man with the axes was most likely coming along too. Perhaps even the woman who came in after him.

The barkeep came over with a plate of cookies and placed it before Carwyn.

"Thanks, mate," Carwyn said happily.

The barkeep wiped his brow and sighed. "I've gotten so many weird requests today. Most everyone just orders the mulled mead."

"Heh, sorry for the weird request then," Carwyn replied as he bit into a cookie.

"Oh, it's no problem. At least you're not asking for air," the barkeep chuckled.

Even took this time to go to a corner and make a few deals with some merchants and a few other groups in high power. It was hard work in this bar. One even had to be enforced with a few rounds of strong brandy! Maybe it had just been too long since his last payday, and he had less money to barter with this week. All his deals had gone like that. He went back to the rest of the caravan. "I'm proud to say that our travel should be marvelously unhindered by bandits along the way, and I have a feeling a ship will be waiting for us when we get to the coastline!" "And if we do get attacked, it'll be from my debt collectors." He murmered to himself.

Toa hated this place. While it was a clear sky at the moment, every day the he had been here it had rained. And poured. Hard. The crisp air wasn't helping things either. Thieves were also a bit of a problem, but a good show of force, which he enjoyed, scared them off easily enough. He entered the cantina and smelled smoke. He had no problem with smoke due to living near volcanos, although he didn't promote smoking. His father had allowed Toa to use his pipe once. Let's just say Toa wasn't so fond of the pipe after that.

He saw three men sitting together, each with a differant drink from what he could tell, a man sitting by himself with cookies, and a woman Aeromancer with nothing. He sat next to the Aeromancer, ordered his drink, and smiled at the Aeromancer, saing "Hi, I'm Toa Firespitter. What's your name?"

OOS: HOLY, TWO MORE POSTS WHILE I'M EDITING MY LAST ONE! THAT"S A (INSERT EMOTIONALLY LODED WORD) LOT!

Even went back to that Iritoi or something fellow. "So," he asked, "When exactly are we leaving? The smoke in here is too much, and they just ran out of roasts, so there's no reason for us to stay eny longer, unless we're waiting for more travelers."

A male Pyromancer entered and sat next to Hoshiko after looking around. He ordered his drink and smiled at her.

"Hi, I'm Toa Firespitter," he said. "What's your name?"

Well, that was direct, she thought. "I'm Shadowstorm," she said. "But you can call me Hoshiko." He seemed friendly enough. "So, did you make 'Firespitter' up to match your profession, or were you born with it?" she asked with a smile.

Outside in the street across from the inn, the old chestnut pony shifted under the weight of his pack.

“Stop it, Bob,” Aya said as she tightened the straps that held on the bulky cloth sacks and leather pouches strapped onto the wooden packframe. “And quit trying to hold your breath.” She abruptly raised her knee into the animal’s diaphragm, causing the pony to exhale sharply. With laboured breaths, she tugged hard on the strap, taking up the slack. “I’m… not… going… to… do… this….” She pulled hard, finally getting the strap as tight as she wanted it. “…again.” She exhaled. “There.” She patted the pony’s neck. “Now, that wasn’t so bad, was it?”

The pony turned his head to the side and stared at her.

“Don’t look at me like that,” she scolded him. “Father would have made it just a tight. Or tighter.” She paused and a veil of sadness descended on her face. She rested a gentle hand on the pony’s neck. “Father used to say that the journey to Ryuu-Tokai was the one route that would foretell how profitable the rest of the season would be. I sure do miss him, Bob.” She let out a sigh, then shook off her grief. “But, it’s just you and me now,” she said, managing a weak grin. “So, let’s make this trip a good one. Mother and Rui are counting on us.”

Her eyes wandered across the street as she noticed a man enter the inn with a pack and a longsword strapped on his back. A few moments later, another man followed him in, axes strapped to his back. Four of them. Her lips pressed together with trepidation as she looked around at the other people that would be making up the caravan—most of them traders, like her. But there would be others joining up with Irithoi Radly. The Caravan leader, normally travelled with a couple of armed men, (after all, there were bandits out there that preyed on unwary travellers,) but she wondered if these particular strangers were looking for a job with Irithoi, or just a travellers themselves.

She decided to find out. “Right, Bob,” she said as she lashed the pony’s lead to a post. “I’m going to get a drink before we head off. You be good now.” She patted the pony, then headed across the street, getting the usual peculiar looks from the ‘ladies’ in the village for the men’s trousers she wore underneath her dress. It just wasn’t a ‘lady-like’ way for a girl to dress.

“What?” she said to them. “Haven’t you ever seen a trader before?”

She walked into the cantina, standing at the doorway first to get her eyes accustomed to the dimmer light inside. She spotted Irithoi, and headed in his direction, casting a wary but discreet eye over the ‘newcomers’ at the bar. It was obvious to her now that they would all be accompanying her and the other merchants in the caravan.

She told Irithoi that she was ready, as were most of the other merchants, but he told her he wasn’t leaving until he had finished his drink. “Fair enough,” she said to him. She grinned. “That’s what I had in mind as well.”

She headed to the bar, avoiding eye contact with the heavily armed newcomers, mostly because they sort of scared her. She ordered a papaya juice cocktail and turned to face the rest of the room. She’d been here many times before with her father, but now, being on her own she began to feel a bit nervous. There were a lot of new faces in the place.

Having gotten no answer from the expidition leader, except that they were leaving "When I say we're leaving, which is probably tomorrow morning, but YOU won't be arguing if I change it!", he decided to go to another table. He didn't think that man not drinking a beer liked him. As a rule, he didn't trust people who didn't like him. He saw someone in silver Pyromancer robes sitting next to an Areomancer. He'd go over there. As a rule, he liked Pyromancer's. They liked to talk, usually. He went over and introduced himself. "Even Crossblade, at your service! And who might you be?" Then he remembered there was a lady at the table. As a rule, he didn't ignore women. It was rude. He was a pirate, yes, but dealt with those in... high postion... often, and if he had learned one thing about them, it was that they didn't like those who were rude. So he took it upon himself to make sure his habits were always polite and cordial, with the exeption, of course, of him being in a fight. THEN he acted like a pirate. "A, and what's a noble mage like you doing in a foggy barrow bar like this?" he said, trying to tip his hat, as he'd forgotten he had none at the moment.

OOS: I will be away for an hour or so, playing a board game with my brothers. THAT SEEMS TO BE SIGNIFICANT HERE! WOOT!

Jonas saw female trader enter the bar and talk to the caravan guy. He then noticed she seemed to be feeling alone and out of place. He let out a small sigh and called out to her "Caravan to Ryuu-Tokai people sit in this area. It's the only way he can keep ahold of us, or something like that. I forget exactly what he said."

"Nope. Families in the west volcanos tend to choose last names relating to fire or heat." he replied to Hoshiko's question. Then the man with the axes came over and talked to him. "I'm Toa Firespitter. I'm here for the cavern, which I was told was going to be heading north." Then he turned to Hoshiko and asked "Are you going on the cavern also?"

"And what's a noble mage like you doing in a place like this?" asked the man with the axes, trying to tip a nonexistent hat. Hoshiko blinked. I've been called a 'noble mage,' she thought. The day was proving more interesting than usual. Quickly recovering her composure, she shrugged.

"Yes, I'm on the caravan," she answered Toa. "And that's what I'm doing in a foggy barrow bar like this," she finished resignedly. At least they would probably be leaving soon.

"Jonas Armstrong, and yeah. I'm off to Ryuu-Tokai were I plan to spend the rest of my days. How about you? Why you heading to Ryuu-Tokai?" Jonas asked in a friendly mannor.

"Nice to meet you, Jonas. I'm a merchant," Aya answered proudly. "Cloths and household items mostly, though I do have some 'special' items every now and again. My father and I've made this journey several times." She took a sip of her juice, and her eyes reflected her sorrow. "Only he passed away a few months ago. So, now I've got to do it on my own." She grinned, shoving her grief aside. "So, 'spending the rest of your days'.... what does that mean exactly? You orginally from Ryuu-Tokai?"

Even was thinking. That man comes from the west volcanoes!....... I don't know where that is. So, it doesn't bother me! "If you are going on the caravan," he asked the areomancer, "Do you have any knowledge of winds in sailing? And, could I ask your name? As a rule, I don't go through working for weeks with someone I don't know the name of, you see."

Aya grinned broadly. "Goose, turkey, or eagle fletchings?" she asked Jonas. "And all made with seasoned ash shafts. Can't go wrong with that," she said with a wink. "I can set you up with some when we stop for the night," she continued. "I've got Bob all packed up already and waiting, and he gets rather grumpy when I rearrange stuff at the last minute."

"Are you from around here? Or are from any of the other directions? I'm from the West as you can probably guess. Sure beats this place in my opinion," Toa said, his smile never leaving his mouth.

"I come from all directions," Hoshiko replied, her smile drifting away and becoming more distant as she spoke. Then she grinned at him mischievously. "And anywhere beats this place."

"Do you have any knowledge of winds in sailing?," Even asked. "And, could I ask your name? As a rule, I don't go through working for weeks with someone I don't know the name of, you see." Well, that made sense.

"I'm Shadowstorm," Hoshiko said. Well, if he wanted her name for business purposes, he would get her business name. "And, sorry, no knowledge of sailing. I've never even been on a boat before."

Archived