Home

Ethics and Religion

jonathan7

Belief isn't something to hate. True you can think one way and believe something else but to hate a belief speaks of ethnocentrism.

Clarification: I don't hate a specific belief. I just hate all beliefs in general, only because you cannot prove what you believe, and that, therefore, it is totally irrational to believe in it (if you cannot prove it conclusively). At least, according to me. I could be wrong.

Double-thinking (knowing one thing is true, while at the same time, believing in something else totally different) is a concept I play around with, but it is something that I think, is not very tendable in the long run, at least for me.

It's pretty frustrating to be unable to prove what you believe. It's probrarly a fact of life, but it is still annoying me quite a bit. I just wanted to let people know that though.

Some of these things you are stating about proving observation sounds a bit farfetched in my opinion but maybe I am attributing that to the fact that observations in a way can't be proven because it is how one person sees things.

True, it may be far-fetched. Just trying to find objections and holes in my viewpoint.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Clarification: I don't hate a specific belief. I just hate all beliefs in general, only because you cannot prove what you believe, and that, therefore, it is totally irrational to believe in it (if you cannot prove it conclusively). At least, according to me. I could be wrong.

SS, the definition of faith is believing in something of which you have no proof. So claiming a belief system must have verifiable evidence is an oxymoron. I believe in my Gods, just not the Judeo Christian one as described.

Double-thinking (knowing one thing is true, while at the same time, believing in something else totally different) is a concept I play around with, but it is something that I think, is not very tendable in the long run, at least for me.

Which explains how some of your ideas are formed.

Oh BTW, as the local literary critic, the word in untenable.

I got waylaid this last week by getting laid off from my job and having to do a mad scramble to find another one (happily, a previous employer was more than happy to take me back), so I haven't been able to keep on top of the KC threads as much. Just a reminder to everyone that religion can be a very hot topic, and I don't want to have to pull out my fire extinguisher, so I do appreciate you all keeping it generally civil as appears to be the case. :)

SS, the definition of faith is believing in something of which you have no proof.

I going out on a limb and saying that everyone has some form of faith. Whether you believe you can pass the next test or make it up the steps of Lincoln Memorial in a jog, it is all faith. It is not a bad thing. It seems to me that people need something to believe in. Much like hope, it can be a dangerous thing like putting all the eggs in one basket.

I could be completely wrong about this but KOTOR could be a good source for ethics and religion. How? Generally saying that the force, religion, can heal and there is hope in the force earns you light side points and saying you're a ****head to believe in it earns you dark side. Silly? Perhaps, but in the game whacking a kid is very much frowned upon as well...last I checked the same applied in real life.

I could be completely wrong about this but KOTOR could be a good source for ethics and religion.

When Lucas wrote the series originally, he might not have thought of a religion, but before the first twenty minute had passed, you know that to most people that is exactly what the Jedi and Sith were. Rival factions of the same religion vying for mastery.

In my religion you have a lot of people who join thinking that doing so always equates to power. Even when you point out the balance that is created and how it will be redressed by the cosmos, they still belive they can just take what they want.

You have Christians who say that if god loves you he showers you with wealth and conversely tell you that if you do not have that wealth, it is because god does not like you. Even in Islaam the riches flow from Allah, though they believe these really are stored in heaven and that earthly wealth is transitory. But among them you have those that say their god glories in the death of innocents only because it is his worshipers who kill them.

As a moral center of what is right and wrong, the SW universe has a lot to say for it. The people of the books look at it as any person alive today do. It's a religion, they have some secular authority, they tend to be a little fractious and opinionated. But as long as they don't mess with you, ignore them.

Archived