Home

May '07 Tale: "Mayday! Mayday!" Dramatic Rescues

In honor of May Day, I decided the theme for this month's stories would be "Mayday!"

So, write up your best dramatic rescue story. There is no rush to finish these, by the way. You don't get a prize for finishing early, after all. Take your time, and write up something exciting for us to read.

Stories are due May 8 at 5pm EDT/UTC-4

Please post any questions here, and for instructions on how to post a story in TJC, please see the sticky on how to do that.

Enjoy!

I've posted mine and in Word, it was four-five pages long. It took me a while to write and personally, I thought it was better than my first. Also, I think the reason why April was skipped, because the March topic included April too. I've just confused myself now...

The schedule on these is kind of loose, folks. There's no way for people to get something of quality done in the next week or so to keep it all in April. I'm shooting for once a month, but holidays and Real Life work into that as well so it's not always going to stay on a monthly schedule.

I have to tell you, if it fails it's a 'rescue attempt' and not really a dramatic rescue then. I can allow it as a very loose interpretation of the spirit of the topic, but you'll likely get dinged for it by the readers. You might want to reconsider your submission in that case, Topsite, since you submitted before getting my answer....

@Quist--I'm not sure what you're asking--what kind of rescue are you talking about other than physical?

I'm thinking of an emotional rescue of sorts; an example would be the Exile saving Atton from his destructive nature by showing him the light side of the Force or something along those lines.

I don't know, it sounded a lot better when I'd thought of it at the time. :)

quick question: can we do a "novelization" of sorts with a roleplay thread from Dantooine Theatre??

of course, credit will go where credit is due, but i just wanted to ask as there is something coming up in a certain RP that i'm involved in that will fit the description for the theme.

another question, just to see if it is possible, i just wanted to know if we can co-write a story (ie, two or more authors). this does relate to the previous question as the story i'm thinking about would require writing and collaboration from at least two people to pull off the story.

i know that i'm a mod here, too, but this is more or less your forum than it is mine. as such, i just wanted to ask. ;)

One of the main rules is that it can't be a previously published story. If the scene has not yet been written for the RP, then it's fine, and I'd allow background from the RP in order to tell the story, but if the action scene itself already exists in the RP, that falls under the 'previously published' category. Using previously published materials gives someone an unfair advantage, which is why it's disallowed.

Co-writing is fine as long as all contributors get credit.

So, we can make it fail so long as it's dramatic?

It has to at least succeed in some way somewhere in the story. If it fails, it's a 'failed rescue attempt', not a 'rescue'. You can do a story like that, but you'll get dinged for not fully meeting the requirements of this particular Tales topic.

Archived