Home

[Fic]Chaos in the Republic

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

Star Wars

Chaos in the Republic

Everything was quiet... it was five years since Tavion's death at the hands of Jedi Knight Jaden Korr. Jaden had gone back to the Jedi Temple on Yavin to finish his training and become a master. Little did the Jedi... or the New Republic for that matter, know that their Grand Master, Luke Skywalker was falling to the Dark side of the Force. Seduced by the dark specter of Revan's apprentice... Darth Malak.

Malak trained Luke, until Luke grew too impatient and angry at his new "master" then Luke destroyed the Sith's dark ghost. Now and forever more the Jedi and Republic would fear the Sith Lord, Darth Aroes.

Aroes began tearing apart the Republic with his legion of dark jedi by his side. No one could stop them, not even Jaden Korr. But a promising young pupil came to become a Jedi set foot in the Temple on Courscant... the location of the old, and new Jedi Temple.

Chapter 1

Jedi Master Jaden Korr stepped forward to meet the new pupils, closely followed by his friend and Jedi Knight, Rosh Penin.

Jaden took a long look over the gathering crowd, finally he took a deep breath and said, "Welcome to the Jedi Temple, here we shall train you in lightsaber combat and in the use of the Force."

He went on and on about the lures of the Darkside and the Force.

"Jaden, I think they got the point." Rosh cut in.

"Alright but you have to give them the names of their new masters." Jaden replied, in a joking tone.

Rosh first glared at Jaden, and then a smile crept across his face.

Jaden was in front of the last padawan, when the Force around him strengthened and nearly sent him sprawling to the floor... he had to force himself not to grab his lightsaber. This Force user had the strength of his old friend... Luke Skywalker, now the Sith Lord that everyone feared. The only one around was a teenage boy. The boy was brown headed, he had shining green eyes, and he was about five foot nine. He was holding a lightsaber, one of ancient design... one the Jedi Order had not seen in a long time.

"What is your name?" Jaden asked the boy, curiously.

"My name is Rueben Shan." He replied.

Shan, Shan, Shan... why does that name seem so familiar? Jaden thought to himself.

"I'm the last surviving member of the Jedi Masters' Revan and Bastila Shan." Rueben said, as if reading Jaden's mind, he held up his lightsaber. "This lightsaber design has been in my family since Bastila."

Jaden cautiously took his eyes off of Rueben's eyes, to look at the lightsaber. Oddly enough, it had a Sith symbol in the middle of the hilt.

"What is that?" Jaden asked, pointing to the Sith rune in laid on the hilt.

"What? Oh, you mean the Sith rune? It's to show that Bastila fell..." Rueben started.

"It looks fairly new though..." Jaden said.

"This isn't the original hilt," Rueben chuckled. "My entire family has replicated her hilt."

Jaden nodded, a look of satisfaction across his face... he had found his padawan.

Chapter 2

Rueben stood next to Jaden, they were at the local cantina trying to find out if the rumors they heard about Aroes taking control of Tavion's reborn Dark Jedi, so far... they had nothing. The new cantina owner, a former Jedi padawan of the Old Republic, a Wookiee named Dungar, stood in front of them. Jaden's long brown hair covered his left eye, his right eye flashed anger at the Wookiee.

"I don't know Master Jedi..." Dungar was saying.

Rueben looked kindly at the old Wookiee, he didn't know why, but he liked the big furry creatures. He had a soft spot for anything that looked so innocent.

"The last time I heard about the Disciples of Ragnos was about three years ago." Dangar continued. "I think it was from a young man, probably about 18 now, by the name of Skorm Onasi."

Rueben froze. Skorm Onasi! The Onasi family was still alive! When the Jedi Exile, Sarah Price, killed Carth and Dustil, the Shan family assumed the Onasi's were dead.

"Where is he?" Rueben blurted out, without thinking.

"Who? Skorm? Oh, yes, well he's a Republic Soldier, he also serves as Mon Mothma's body guard when he's on Courscant... which I believe he is right now." Dungar replied.

"Could you tell him an old friend wants to see him?" Rueben asked.

"Why of course, he comes in every day." Dungar said.

Skorm stood in the Senate chambers awaiting his "friend." He didn't know who it was, because he didn't make friends too well; like Carth, he was a little too cautious. Rueben walked in, his long dark hair had been pushed out of his face, his emerald green eyes were shining brightly.

"Who are you?" Skorm asked Rueben.

"My name is Rueben Shan. Grandson of Jedi Knights' Revan and Bastila Shan." Rueben replied.

Skorm's jaw dropped, and he stared at Rueben, unbelieving.

Several problems with this chapter, I'm sorry to say. Rumor is spelt right, since you must be American, or if you're British, it is spelt Rumour, but whichever you are, it is fine. Wookie is spelt Wookiee. Rueben couldn't be the grandson of Revan and Bastila. Over the period of four thousand years, he would be the great great great great... grandson or to sum it up, descendant. Also, this might be just my opinion, but I hope every single KOTOR character doesn't recieve a descendant, since they might become a bit unoriginal, even more unoriginal if they are too similiar to their ancestors.

Other than these problems, this chapter is another good one and I will want to find out what Rueben and Jaden do next.

I'm not making everyone have a grandson... just Revan, Bastila, and Carth... and I put grandson in there, because... well saying Great, great, great, great... and so fourth would get tiring... and sometimes people refer to their great, great, great, great grandmother as their grandmother, that way that they don't have to say great for 8,000,000 years... anyhow... I forgot how to spell Wookie, so... I'll just go change that right now.

Thanks for the comments... oh, and I'm American... so I spelled rumor right

^about 4,000 Years and Bastila is your grandmother?! Oh man...That's too unnatural. But anyway, Rueben, keep up good job and don't give up like I did.

Welcome to the Forums and have a nice day here.

Chapter 3

Rueben closed Skorm's mouth.

"You... you... you... you can't be!" Skorm finally said.

Rueben took little interest in the babble coming out of Skorm's mouth.

"And why can't I be?" Rueben asked, a hint of sarcasm within his tone.

"I don't know, you just can't." Skorm said, the shock still audible in his voice.

Rueben felt the Force grow with life, Jaden was coming. Rueben turned his attention to his master, whom was walking in the room.

"So your the might Skorm!" Jaden said, a little more than TOO sarcastic. "So you know about the Disciples' of Ragnos."

"That's right, Master Jedi." Skorm replied.

Rueben walked out of the Senate chambers, bored with the ensuing conversation. He walked up and down the hallway, until he came to an elevator. Rueben took it to the top floor, and started walking down another hallway, until he reached a door, guarded by two New Republic soldiers.

"What is that room, right there?" Rueben asked one of them.

"This is the Supreme Chancellor's office." He responded.

Rueben shrugged and decided to go in... maybe there were a few Senators he could talk to inside. What he found inside wasn't a Senator at all... it was the Supreme Chancellor, herself... all alone, with no one to talk to.

Rueben got the Mon Mothma's attention and began talking to her. They were having a nice little conversation, when Rueben felt the Darkside grow stronger around him. He ran to the window and looked down over the breath taking city. Thousands of Dark Force users were attacking Courscant. He ran down the corridor again and into the elevator, where he was met by Jaden and Skorm.

"I will assume you've already noticed the reborn attacking Courscant?" Jaden asked.

Rueben nodded, and then Skorm began talking Rueben's ear off. By the Force... doesn't this guy ever shut up? Rueben rolled his eyes.

Going down the elevator, Skorm turned his full attention to Rueben and said, "I shall fight along side you, as Carth did for Revan and Bastila."

Rueben frowned, he didn't wish to endanger anyone, especially not Skorm. "Alright, but stay close." Rueben said. "I can't protect you from a far."

"I will do as you ask," Skorm replied, a smile slowly forming across his face.

By the time Jaden, Skorm, and Rueben got outside; the entire Jedi Order was out fighting the Dark Jedi. For every one Jedi killed, ten reborn were killed, but that didn't seem to even put a dent in their numbers. The reborn over ran Courscant, within hours, they were at the footsteps of the Senate building. Darth Aroes' dark figure appeared like a ghost from the fog.

"Surrender the Chancellor and you shall be spared." Aroes lied.

"Never!" Jaden, Skorm, and Rueben all said in unison.

Aroes' face wore a smug expression.

"The master and the apprentice, how amusing." Aroes said.

While Aroes was talking, he didn't notice Jaden's strength faltering. When Jaden finally fell to the ground, exhausted, Aroes walked over to him.

"And now Jedi, you die!" Aroes said.

Jaden smiled, "Not quite."

Every single Jedi's strength was replenished. Aroes could not believe his eyes. Rueben drew his purple lightsaber, and Aroes drew both of his red sabers in response.

"Today, your reign ends!" Rueben yelled.

Chapter 4

Aroes laughed maniacally.

"You, defeat me? Impossible." Aroes said.

By then the Jedi had already destroyed half of Aroes' legion. Aroes was ready to drench his lightsabers in the blood of the young Jedi. Two lightsabers flew from his waist, his "back-up" sabers. He turned to see Skorm holding two activated lightsabers. The first blade was a bright purple, while the other was the color of Rueben's bright green eyes. Aroes threw the first blow.

Rueben was locked in a vicious battle with Aroes. Sparks flew from the lightsabers, Rueben sliced through the air, were Aroes' arm had been; he missed slightly and cut one of his sabers in half. Aroes ran strait for Rueben, but he Force jumped and missed the blade by about a half an inch. Rueben landed and kicked the other saber from Aroes' hand. Jaden used the last reserves of his energy to pull the saber to him, so Aroes could not harm Rueben.

Rueben put one end of his blade to Aroes' neck.

"Surrender, or die." Rueben said.

"Do it... kill me, Jedi." Aroes said, knowing that Rueben wouldn't kill him.

Rueben's blade faltered, but he didn't lower it. Rueben glanced toward Jaden, who was holding on to Aroes' lightsaber for dear life. He looked at Skorm, but he just had a blank look on his face. The battle came to a stand still... every single eye was on him. Rueben deactivated his blades and sighed. Aroes took his blade from Jaden's grasp and ran, in full retreat. What remained of the Dark Jedi forces took off after Aroes. They needed time to retaliate. It was over, the battle for Courscant was over, and the Jedi had won.

Chapter 5

Rueben was staring into space, when Mon Mothma and Skorm thanked him for saving the Republic. Rueben was still zoned out when Jaden greeted him. Jaden shook Rueben until his gaze was on him.

“What do you want?” Rueben asked, still a little dazed.

“Nothing really… just wanted to make sure you were alright… but I want to know, why did you let Aroes go?” Jaden asked.

“Because it’s not the Jedi way to kill the defenseless.” Rueben said.

Jaden nodded, understanding where his apprentice was coming from.

“One other thing… your friend… the Force User… I want him to come to the temple… to train to be a Jedi.” Jaden said.

Rueben nodded… he’d talk to Skorm, but that didn’t mean that he would listen.

Rueben stood up, he’d talk to Skorm tomorrow… he was tired from the fight, and he walked to the Jedi Temple. When he reached the temple, Rueben turned to Jaden.

“Good night… master… I’ll see you in the morning, bright and early.” Rueben said.

Rueben walked to his room, leaving Jaden shocked on the steps because he never went to bed that early.

When Rueben woke up the next morning, he found four holocrons on his table. Two of them were Sith holocrons, but on either side where Jedi holocrons. Rueben picked them up, cautiously, and stuck them in his equipment bag. He slowly walked to the Room of a Thousand Fountains… were he met his master daily. When he reached the room, there was something off about it… Jaden wasn’t inside.

Within an hour, Jaden walked down and sat in front of Rueben, whom was meditating.

“Good morning… your up bright and early.” Jaden said.

Rueben said, “Mmmm-hmm.” without looking up.

Jaden could sense the Darkside in the room… but he couldn’t figure out why. When Rueben finally looked up, he had the sense of knowledge… that he knew why.

“I found two Sith holocrons this morning…” Rueben said.

Jaden looked surprised. Rueben took out one of the holocrons and activated it… what he expected to see… was not anything like what he saw before himself. It was a Sith alright… but it was his own ancestor… it was Bastila.

Chapter 6

“Revan’s memories have returned.” The holographic Bastila said. “Now, maybe I can exploit his fears… his realities, and turn him to the Darkside once more.”

That was all Jaden could hear, the hologram was broken… as far as he could tell, however Rueben sat there as if still listening to the holograms story.

“Great power does Revan and I wield.” Bastila’s image continued. “Great power that runs in our families… I can feel that you are from my bloodline, do you wish to hear more about the power?”

Rueben quietly said, “Yes.”

Bastila continued. Rueben sat wide-eyed as Bastila continued her story.

“Now that you’ve heard about it… do you wish to learn the power?” She asked.

Rueben knew he couldn’t attempt it, not with him being so young… plus he was just an apprentice. He knew that if he tried then he would lose all control and turn to the Darkside. Rueben stood up quickly and shut it off. He pulled another holocron from his bag, making sure this one was a Jedi holocron. He turned it on and standing before him was a woman, about 26 years of age, with long dark hair dangling to her hips.

“Who are you?” Rueben whispered to the hologram.

“I am Bastila Shan, Jedi Knight of the Republic.” The woman replied.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jaden stared off into space, only he wasn’t zoning out. He saw the Force Spirit of his master, Kyle Katarn.

Back when Luke first turned, Kyle ran to meet Luke in battle… to try and save his old friend. At first Kyle had the advantage, Luke was just an initiate Sith, but he was still a better fighter than Kyle, so he quickly lost the advantage. Luke cut off Kyle’s hand and left him standing defenseless… at first Luke didn’t move, but with a little goading from Malak, Luke quickly chopped of the Jedi Master’s head. The echo that had came with Kyle’s death quickly reached Rosh and Jaden.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I can teach you the power of Battle Meditation, for it too runs in our family.” Bastila said.

Rueben grew excited… the “art” of Battle Meditation had been lost for centuries, following the death of Bastila.

“I want to learn…” Rueben said.

Then next few days were the same old routine, but then that one day came. The one that Rueben and all other padawan awaited.

“Rueben, the Jedi Council and I have come to the conclusion, that your ready to be on your own… no longer can I call you my apprentice. You… are a Jedi Knight now.” Jaden said.

Chapter 7

Rueben stood in the center of the Jedi Archives; awaiting the arrival of Jaden, the library was eerily silent. Not a soul had stirred in the Temple, except Rueben that is. Rueben found an odd looking holocron… one that he was drawn to, but he didn’t know why. When he turned it on, a woman about the age of twenty stood before him.

“Hello, Revan.” The hologram said.

Rueben’s eyebrows shot up… Revan? Rueben had seen holograms of Revan, and he looked very little of his ancestor.

“I am not Revan.” Rueben said.

Curiously, the hologram responded by shutting itself off. Rueben shook it off and pulled out one of the holocrons that had been sitting on his table a few days ago.

Instead of Bastila this time however, it was the Reborn Jedi Knight… Revan. The hologram’s lips moved, but no words escaped it’s mouth. Rueben shut if off, and then the lights to the library came on. Rueben frowned and squinted, his eyes weren’t used to the bright lights… he had been standing in darkness for over an hour.

“Up bright and early, eh?” Jaden asked, but Rueben only heard words that came from an unfamiliar voice.

He looked around, but he could only see Jaden. He heard the voice again, but this time it introduced a name as well.

“I am Revan, Jedi Master of the Republic.” The voice said again, with it bringing the specter of Revan.

“Revan? What the?” Rueben heard Jaden say.

Rueben rolled his eyes, and turned full attention to Revan.

“You must be Rueben… last surviving member of our family…” Revan said.

Rueben nodded, not wanting to interrupt Revan.

“There are ancient cities, ruins beyond the New Republic. Ancient structures of knowledge… of learning; but only the purest of heart, mind and soul may enter these dark places, without fear of falling to the seductive Darkside. I come before you to say beware the Darkside and it’s mysteries, they may hold a true understanding of the Force, but it will tear the Jedi apart and lead to the Civil War that ended so long ago… way back before the Clone Wars. I should know… I lead the Dark Jedi and Sith to destroy the Republic… but I regret every moment of it.” The spirit said, kind of embarrassed, if a spirit could get embarrassed.

Rueben nodded, but said, “Why are you telling me this?”

“Because I have seen the future… a new Sith Lord shall rise to power, with power unlike I have ever seen except in our family. I assume it is from the bloodline that began with Bastila and I…” Revan started.

Rueben lifted his hand, to silence the ghost. “That Sith Lord has already risen, he’s not from our bloodline… and I am on the move to stop him at ALL costs.”

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 8

Some several hours later, Rueben and Jaden landed on the Sith homeworld of Korriban. Jaden had been here only once before, and that was to stop Tavion and the Disciples' of Ragnos. When he first landed on Korriban, he could feel the grip of the Darkside... trying to sway him.

Jaden fell behind Rueben, not wanting to go any further. Rueben shrugged and went on; he walked past the mountainous tombs of Tulak Hord, Marka Ragnos, Ajunta Pall, and one he could not make out. Rueben continued on walking; he passed a sealed off cave, when he came back, he planned on moving the wrechage and to see what was sealed behind the cave.

Rueben finally came to a door, in which was sealed. He kneeled and concentrated on the door. A thin bright, white light came from his chest... but nothing happened. The harder and longer he concentrated, the beam got wider until the door finally exploded from the impact of the heat.

Rueben stood up and walked in. Rueben walked through the halls, but he saw no signs that anyone had been through there in over 3,000 years. Rueben walked by the old torture chamber, when something caught the corner of his eye. There was a small thirteen year old kid, by the looks of him, sitting in the corner of the room.

Rueben took several steps closer. The kid was crying.

"Don't come any closer." He told Rueben. "There's something wrong with me."

Rueben smiled... the boy was Force Sensitive... that was all.

"It's okay, I can help... just tell me how you got here." Rueben's said, his voice cracking on here.

His voice hadn't completely changed yet.

The kid turned around, he had bright pool blue eyes, like Rueben's mother did, before she died. His hair was strangely short and silver. He had dark circles under his eyes, wich were very red and puffy from the sobbing.

"Hey It's ok. I can help you." Rueben repeated. "But I'm gonna need to know how you got here."

The boy opened his moth, but closed it again, his face looked strained, as if trying to remember.

"Don't kill yourself trying to think." Rueben joked, but the kid didn't find it funny.

A shyrack flew into the room, blood thirst. The kid screamed, and then Rueben fried it with Force Lightning. The kid screamed even louder, as if Rueben had shocked him instead of the shyrack.

"Stay away from me you freak!" The kid yelled at him. "I... I told you to go away!"

Rueben blinked, obviously stunned by being yelled at.

"It's alright, I'm not going to hurt you." Rueben said, in the softest voice he could.

The kid looked at him, "That's what he said, last time."

"He? Who... who are you talking about? What is your name?" Rueben asked.

The kid looked at Rueben... but quietly said, "Shawn."

"Shawn... can you tell me how old you are?" Rueben asked.

Shawn hesitated before answering.

"Thirteen." He said.

Rueben had been right about his age.

"But who are you, and how can you help me?" Shawn asked Rueben.

"My name is Rueben Shan... I am a Jedi Knight." Rueben told Shawn.

Shawn looked at Rueben... "How old are you Rueben?"

"I'm fifteen... why do you want to know?" Rueben said.

Shawn shrugged, "Well you asked me my age..."

"Come on... I think I'd better get you out of here... something doesn't feel right." Rueben said.

Shawn got up and followed Rueben to his ship.

Jaden looked at the Shawn, and then at Rueben.

"Who's the kid?" Jaden asked.

Rueben frowned. I'll tell you later... Rueben told his old master through the Force.

When they reached the ship, and were in hyperspace, Rueben took Shawn to his room on the ship. Rueben told him he could sleep in the cramped little room. Rueben also found some of his old clothes for Shawn. When Shawn was asleep, Rueben silently slipped out of the room, and went to the cockpit. Jaden was setting the auto pilot for the Jedi Temple on Courscant.

"So who's the kid?" Jaden asked.

"He says his name is Shawn, but there's something about him... something I haven't felt for a long time... a power... a calling. He's Force Sensitive, I fear he could fall to the Darkside and aide Luke in his quest for domination." Rueben said.

"I felt the Force flow through him... something I have never felt, except for from you. The only two people with a deeper Force connection are Luke... and you. But you still haven't reached your full Force potential... and right now, even at this young age you are as strong as Luke. Someday you will make a great Jedi Master." Jaden said.

"Thank you... for your comforting words master." Rueben said.

Chapter 9

The three went back to Courscant, but something was a miss; the planet felt cold, dry, dead, just as Korriban had felt. Jaden and Rueben looked around, and found not a single thing out of place... by now Shawn was asleep, and Rueben was carrying him to a vacant room.

The room Rueben stood in was the old room of Jedi Master, Adi Gallia, before Order 66. Rueben laid Shawn down on the empty bed, and sat in a chair. He took out the last holocron. He looked over it and then turned it on. A man, wearing dark green robes stood before him... he was also wearing a metallic mask. The Darkside grew strong in the room... so strong that all light began to fade.

The voice behind the mask hissed, it crackled, but finally the holocron died. The room began achieving it's perfect Lightside harmony. The holocron burst into bright white flames, but gave off absolutely no warmth... Rueben bent down to pick it up. Suprisingly, the flames did not burn him... the heat that the flames gave off were cold, icy even. Finally, the flames died out, and the holocron crumbled, leaving some kind of crystal behind.

Rueben looked at it, then he slowly walked to his room, so as not to disturb the properties of the gleaming white crystal in his hand. When he reached his room, he set it next to his computer, and looked at the mass of broken chunks in his hand. One piece by one piece, the holocron moved around in his hand; re-shaping, reforming back into it's unharmed state.

He recognized the material that the object was comprised of, it was the same as that of the Star Forge, before it had been destroyed.

Rueben went to bed, asking himself millions of questions, questions that he intended to answer.

Archived