Home

Grim Fandango 2 Idea

Torque

Well, my idea is simple: The 4 year journey of a brand new character, with a personality somewhat similar to Manny's or Guybrush's from Monkey Island, who earned nothing better than a walking stick. It happens about the same time as the events in Grim Fandango, so you even get to meet a few old characters at times, like Velasco, Maximino and others in Rubacava or Manny in Puerto Zapato.

So, it's not actually a "sequel", but it's a GF2 and may even fill in some gaps like:

- what dangers lie between Puerto Zapato and The Gate

- what ever happened to Calavera's Cafe or Maximino after Manny left

- others

• 2 weeks later...

thats an awesome idea, but if the character fails to hook then the games sucks ass, also the character could be a salesman that was used to replace manny, Remember when hector said that he had trouble filling manny's old job. Although I think most people would prefer to have manny be the character (mostly me.) I wanna no what manny did in his life. Maybe the story would follow him into the 9th underworld where he would have flashbacks about things that kind of spark memories about the past. The ending scene could be like manny dieing and how he got his job, maybe a little bit about how he was on top. Hopefully a little about the xmas party lol.

I would agree about re-living the xmas party, I'd happily play my way through the game for that. Although, I dislike the idea of re-using Manny again, the whole point of the 9th underworld is no one knows where it is and what its like, and aren't meant to. Plus, one of the things that makes Manny's character so appealing is his past, and the mystery of what he could ever have done whilst alive to deserve being stuck in the DoD. Hence, I think the danger of addressing issues like that in a sequel is that no one would really be happy with the outcome, as I'm sure everyone has their own theory about how Manny lived his life before he died.

However, I really like the idea of having a character playing in parallel with events, I always enjoy playing games where previous or similar characters and events take place within the current game.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is not a GF-idea, but I think the future of adventure-games will be like the Half-Life 2 - episodes. Deamfall, the sequel for The Longest Journey, will get a sequel (or a lot of them) called Dreamfall - Chapters, and will come in some kind of small episodes, and of cause it's a nice idea for the developers, and the publishers, cause if one of the episodes will fail financially, then they can make one episode more with some kind of ending, and if it sells better they can keep the episodes, and if that fail too, then they just stop making more of them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Really you play the game like the original?? I thought its a first person shooter

in GF world

No more or less they are making it very similar to GF (Same characters, Setting, Story, items, Maps) But they are using the Source engine instead of the GrimE and are incorporating weapons.

Diggin' up Manny past? It's really a big mystery, but, come on, it's noir style, it must be mysterious everywhere! Tim Schafer may want us to imagine what Manny has done when he's living, and he didn't want us to know why Manny works for DoD to pay for an unknown debt. It's noir! If you get the answer, it's not mysterious anymore, and maybe, you can think the truth is less than expected.

• 2 weeks later...
... It happens about the same time as the events in Grim Fandango...

I think that the time era should be different, changed, evolved with the characters from before who were left alive. Don't get me wrong a love the Mexinan folklor theme and Mayan architecture.

...and definitely a new character with Glottis besides him

Archived