Home

Moon Colonization

revan7189

Ancient Greece saved our asses from barbarism on that time.

Oh, please. Can we stop the obsession with Hellenism? It's just barbarism with delusions of grandeur.

Pharaonic civilisation is infinitely superior in almost every regard, and influenced us far more through Judaeism, and into Christianity.

I'm sorry, but I find this ubiquitous Greece-worship irritating in the extreme.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you really have to nitpick at my post? I talked about us constructing Marathon. The Marathon Colony was constructed by turning Deimos into a spaceship. I wasn't serious.

The Greece Worshiping is because everyone's so bloody excited about 300 that they STILL haven't flushed it out of their systems.

Oh, please. Can we stop the obsession with Hellenism? It's just barbarism with delusions of grandeur.

Then all western civilizations are barbaric with delusions of grandeur.

Pharaonic civilisation is infinitely superior in almost every regard, and influenced us far more through Judaeism, and into Christianity.

Then Crhistianity adapted itself to merge with Roman culture, in order to survive and spread.

Then all western civilizations are barbaric with delusions of grandeur.

Certainly, Greco-Roman derivatives have that tendency. Nevertheless, your comment lacks...intellectual finesse. I'll admit, my own was somewhat hyperbolic, but my point remains that they are far removed from the "golden age" that many turn them into. They were just as, if not more cruel, short-sighted, nasty, selfish, superior, arrogant, xenophobic, smug, self-assured, hypocritical, nymphomaniacal and unnecessarily agressive than our own society.

Then Crhistianity adapted itself to merge with Roman culture, in order to survive and spread.

Up to a point, Lord Copper. The extent to which post-Constantine Christianity "absorbed" Roman culture is debatable, and debated. Of course, if you want to discuss the Renaissance, that's rather a different matter.

They were just as, if not more cruel, short-sighted, nasty, selfish, superior, arrogant, xenophobic, smug, self-assured, hypocritical, nymphomaniacal and unnecessarily agressive than our own society.

Right. I don't disagree, assuming you're talking about romans. Wether this was inherited from the Etruscans...

In fact, aside from the great territory under roman rule, there's very little remarkable technological advances, or significant literature from them.

Up to a point, Lord Copper. The extent to which post-Constantine Christianity "absorbed" Roman culture is debatable, and debated. Of course, if you want to discuss the Renaissance, that's rather a different matter.

Romans needed inspiration, something to believe into. Christianity needed a home to harbor it, a vessel. Constantine chosen the cross instead of the Sun God to illustrate his shield. Opportunity spoke louder.

They were just as, if not more cruel, short-sighted, nasty, selfish, superior, arrogant, xenophobic, smug, self-assured, hypocritical, nymphomaniacal and unnecessarily agressive than our own society.

And why then should we not worship them?

Just because they are violent does not mean we should not worship them. The Greeks developed democracy, defended themselves from the Persians, and eventually spread their legacy in the form of the Roman Empire.

Romans needed inspiration, something to believe into.

What about the centuries when Rome had its own religion instead? It managed to take out Chartage and Egypt with ease. The eras of civil war really did mess society up, but Rome went through a previous wave of civil wars without needing to scummb to pressure.

I think it was really Constaine that saved Chrisitanity and made it a world religion. Had Constaine not converted, Christanty may have just still have been a minor religion, and the ramifications for the history of Islam...well, wow. The only question that I don't think I know the answer to was this: Why? And that why, you can easily explain as: Constaine needed something to believe in, Chrisitanty needed a protecter, they made an alliance.

I think that Moon Colonization is very plausible, but ,IMO, unlikely in the near future.

I honestly think that there are a lot more important things that that money should go to. In no way am I saying 'don't make a base on the moon', I just think that we should be focusing on more important things at the moment, such as making use/making new (of) alternative energy sources, cleaning up the environment (cut down on pollution which in turn stops/slows down the effects of 'global-warming')...ect...

I honestly think that there are a lot more important things that that money should go to. In no way am I saying 'don't make a base on the moon', I just think that we should be focusing on more important things at the moment, such as making use/making new (of) alternative energy sources, cleaning up the environment (cut down on pollution which in turn stops/slows down the effects of 'global-warming')...ect...

Of course solving our immediate problems on Earth are more than worth delaying any off-world programs we may have, but theorize about that, and eventualy, colonize, won't make us forget about those problems.

OFF TOPIC:

What about the centuries when Rome had its own religion instead? It managed to take out Chartage and Egypt with ease. The eras of civil war really did mess society up, but Rome went through a previous wave of civil wars without needing to scummb to pressure.

Roman religion was only so sucessful - and consequently made the Empire work - because it incorporated the deities of the conquered states into their pantheon. By the time of Constantine, the romans were being bashed by the unstoppable barbarians, and the Sun Seal, that was laid on roman shields of the time, had lost all the battles it was in.

After all, Constantine had to make his bet on some religious icon. He chosen the cross and eventually converted to christianity.

I think it was really Constaine that saved Chrisitanity and made it a world religion. Had Constaine not converted, Christanty may have just still have been a minor religion, and the ramifications for the history of Islam...well, wow.

Well, that didn't spared it from having it's ramifications.

The only question that I don't think I know the answer to was this: Why? And that why, you can easily explain as: Constaine needed something to believe in, Chrisitanty needed a protecter, they made an alliance.

So you do agree?

Not true. The Romans came up with some great stuff. They introduced hygienic standards like lavatories and some great technological/architectural advances.

As any Empire, or Republic with it's foundations on wars, or even under Monarchy, Roman technology developed around warfare. They placed great importance on body hygiene - that was eventually forgotten during the High Middle Ages and (barely) ressurected on the Renaissance - and they created the bathouses.

However, I take that by Achitetural advances you mean fort constructions techniques and the creation of cranes. But that isn't really remarkable. You see, the egyptians, that were equipped with copper tools only, accomplished far more than them on that ground. And even that image of magnificent collumns that we normally associate to the romans were copied of the Greek ones.

On the literacy field, they didn't matched the Greek philosophers nor writers, and consequently had culture that was poorly, though vast, due to their territory and the same mild nature of their religion.

So you do agree?

No, I said that it was Constaine's desicion, not the desicion of Rome that changed history. If Constaine choosen otherwise, Christianty would never had a chance.

But, I guess I was wrong. :) Will likely need to re-read the Roman history books to figure out more.

And maybe it might not really be 'off-topic'? In a thread about colonization, it's nice to read about the history of the Roman Empire and its attempts to turn entire nations into deserts for peace.

Of course solving our immediate problems on Earth are more than worth delaying any off-world programs we may have, but theorize about that, and eventualy, colonize, won't make us forget about those problems.

Eventually we will. There really is no doubt about that, there are way too many people that have spent their whole life on working to do so. I think it would be awesome if the moon was colonized, it would be a huge accomplishment.

As any Empire, or Republic with it's foundations on wars, or even under Monarchy, Roman technology developed around warfare. They placed great importance on body hygiene - that was eventually forgotten during the High Middle Ages and (barely) ressurected on the Renaissance - and they created the bathouses.

However, I take that by Achitetural advances you mean fort constructions techniques and the creation of cranes. But that isn't really remarkable. You see, the egyptians, that were equipped with copper tools only, accomplished far more than them on that ground. And even that image of magnificent collumns that we normally associate to the romans were copied of the Greek ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Roman_technology ;)

That one is pretty awesome. A complex of 16 watermills tied together.

http://www.waterhistory.org/histories/barbegal/

No, I said that it was Constaine's desicion, not the desicion of Rome that changed history. If Constaine choosen otherwise, Christianty would never had a chance.

Well, the Empire was Constantine on that time. And Rome played a great role on this. If he was a Goth, or a Vandal, I doubt Christianity would have the same impact of today.

Ray, wait a response whenever I have the time to. ;)

Archived