Home

Modders, FYI: StrategyInformer.com

Inyri

It seems that StrategyInformer is taking very real steps to rectify the problem; apparently they don't see it as a violation, but a 'service' they're providing. Frankly I wouldn't want someone detailing my car without my permission because "it's a nice friendly thing to do" so I'm not sure why they thought that letting authors know what they're doing isn't necessary, but in any case they're trying to do the right thing here so maybe we should give them a break.

...and sack Jamie...
We're only speculating that Jamie was the one snitching the files from FileFront. We don't know that for sure. Although to be certain if it was him he should have known better... since he's basically 'been there, done that' with the exact same results/reaction.

Hey this is not right ! !

there is still a lot of TSL mods in there.. :(

like my requested ''Atton as a devaronian'' mod made by rictus135

and my requested Class-Based Clothing mod made by JCarter426 and Shem

i dont know if they asked permission from JCarter426, Shem and rictus135..?

but can the people of strategyinformer be stopped in some way..?

It seems that StrategyInformer is taking very real steps to rectify the problem; apparently they don't see it as a violation, but a 'service' they're providing. Frankly I wouldn't want someone detailing my car without my permission because "it's a nice friendly thing to do" so I'm not sure why they thought that letting authors know what they're doing isn't necessary, but in any case they're trying to do the right thing here so maybe we should give them a break.

Well Kresimir has shown that he is sorry, and I have no problems with him.

We're only speculating that Jamie was the one snitching the files from FileFront. We don't know that for sure. Although to be certain if it was him he should have known better... since he's basically 'been there, done that' with the exact same results/reaction.

However Jamie has clearly shown he's not to be trusted and clearly wasn't sorry the first time otherwise he wouldn't of done it again. Personally given that he is definatly guilty (at the very least for not pointing out that they shouldn't be uploading without permissions and accreditations), before I would ever trust the site he would have to go. I also think given the problems it would be easier to remove all the mods and issue a public apology.

Even if all this hadn't happened I still wouldn't host their due to said loyalties to Shem.

Just my 2 cents, thanks for reading. :)

You should really consider who you host files with as an issue of loyalty -- you should be more concerned with providing your mods to the community than giving an ego boost to a site manager. Shem doesn't gain or lose anything by users hosting their files in multiple locations. In fact I would go as far as to say he would approve of it, seeing what happened when PCGM went down.

Not that I suspect FileFront will ever have that problem, but only good things can come of having files mirrored in multiple locations, even if that is only for security's sake. Of course there's always the fact that not everyone uses FileFront (or Holowan Labs, for that matter), so if you have your mods in multiple locations you will reach a wider target audience. :)

This is probably what StrategyInformer was thinking when they mirrored the files. Not to defend them, but there is always more than one perspective. I do not doubt they were under the impression they were doing everyone a favor.

While it does irk me a little to have my (one and only) mod hosted without permission, they didn't exactly "steal" it as the readme (which actually asked people to NOT host it without permission) is unaltered giving credit where it is due. Over all I can't say I care very much, just so long as they don't claim the mods as their own work.

Even if all this hadn't happened I still wouldn't host their due to said loyalties to Shem.
Shem doesn't gain or lose anything by users hosting their files in multiple locations. In fact I would go as far as to say he would approve of it, seeing what happened when PCGM went down.

Not that I suspect FileFront will ever have that problem, but only good things can come of having files mirrored in multiple locations, even if that is only for security's sake. Of course there's always the fact that not everyone uses FileFront (or Holowan Labs, for that matter), so if you have your mods in multiple locations you will reach a wider target audience. :)

Inyri hit the nail on the head! :D

In fact, I would love it if LucasFiles was ran better and that PCGM was still running. We as a community would gain much more if that was the case.

I already put that in my read-mes. Didn't make much of a difference, but I think they've learned their lesson now. ;)

I mean I don't say "you can't host my mod somewhere else," I say "you can't distribute it unless you ask me." I think it's the very basics of respect to do that... Because IF my mods are rehosted I'd like to know so I can add the mirror to my website! Although until/unless they modify their file info pages I'm really just not comfortable with it right now. If they did change it, I'd be more than happy to let them mirror the files.

Inyri hit the nail on the head! :D

In fact, I would love it if LucasFiles was ran better and that PCGM was still running. We as a community would gain much more if that was the case.

Hehe, fair enuff I stand corrected; I shall change policy, when I release the couple of mods I'm working on :p

Just a recommendation--keep any emails to SI polite, as has been done already. People are more likely to respond to a polite, clearly written email than a nasty-gram. It's entirely possible to express dissatisfaction without being rude. Also, we don't want SI and their wider community thinking we individuals and Lucasforums in general are a bunch of jerks. That sometimes comes back to bite a person in the tushy.

{snip}Of course there's always the fact that not everyone uses FileFront (or Holowan Labs, for that matter), so if you have your mods in multiple locations you will reach a wider target audience. :)

This is probably what StrategyInformer was thinking when they mirrored the files. Not to defend them, but there is always more than one perspective. I do not doubt they were under the impression they were doing everyone a favor.

More likely someone was trying to boost their AD revenue by generating additional traffic to the the site. :tsk:

Archived