Tutorial: Reskinning a Weapon or Mask in 20 Easy Steps

Sithspecter

How to reskin a Weapon/Mask

You need:

MDLOps

NWMax

GMax

KotOR Tool

1. Extract the .mdl and .mdx of the model you want to use ( don't double click the model file in KT)

2. Read and write the model file you just extracted.

3. Open up the modelname-ascii with MDLOps.

4. Click 'renamer.'

5. Change the name on all of the parts to your texture name.

6. Click 'write model.'

7. In your model folder, find the file, modelname-k1-r-bin.mdl and modelname-k1-r-bin.mdx.

8. Delte modelname.mdl and modelname.mdx.

9. Rename modelname-k1-r-bin.mdl and modelname-k1-r-bin.mdx to modelname.mdl and modelname.mdx.

10. Drop the new files in your override folder.

(This part is so that the vibrosword that you started with won't show up with your texture)

11. Open up modelname.mdl from your override folder with MDLOps. Hit 'Read and Write.'

12. Click the Green NWMax icon on your desktop to open up NWMax in GMax.

13. On the NWMax tab, under MDL Loading, click browse. Look in override for modelname-ascii, hit 'Open'. Click 'Import Geom Only.'

14. Find the Aurora Base (blue line box), should be called whatever the original model you extracted is called.

Aurora Base

aurora_base.jpg

15. Rename it appropriately, eg. if it was named, w_vbroswrd001, name it w_vbroswrd056, or some such random number. Only use the last two numbers, because you can't have model number 684 or in the hundreds.

16. Select the Aurora base, and goto the modifiers tab. Click browse, and select the folder you want it to export to. Hit 'Export Geom Only.'

17. Open up MDLOps again, and find modelname.mdl in the folder you specified. Read and write it.

18. Delete modelname.mdl from the folder you specified, and change modelname-k1-bin to modelname.mdl, and change modelname-k1-bin.mdx to modelname.mdx.

19. If you didn't name the new model the same thing you did in steps 1-10, then delete them from your override folder. Dump the new ones into override.

20. Find you .uti for the item. Change the model number to the number that you made. Save the .uti and you should be finished. Also, find a corresponding icon in KT for your mask/weapon. For K1, it should be in KotOR I, ERFS/Texturepacks/gui/I. For TSL, it should be KotOR II, ERF's/Texturepacks/gui/I also. Extract it into override, and rename it to your model number. Then retexture it and save it, or you can just leave it untextured.

If anyone has trouble with these steps, contact me so that I can update and explain in better terms.

15. Rename it appropriately, eg. if it was named, w_vbroswrd001, name it w_vbroswrd056, or some such random number. Only use the last two numbers, because you can have model number 684 or in the hundreds.

And do you mean CAN'T have model numbers in the hundreds and that is why you can only use the last two numbers?

Eefluxx

Opening the model in Max and renaming the Aurorabase isn't really needed.

Sometimes the game reacts strangely if you don't rename the aurorabase. I made a 4-blade axe for the Czerka Commando mod that was a modification of the wookie warblade model. I did not rename the AB, and several wookies who should have had warblades had the new axe instead. The strange thing is, it does not happen every time I play the mod.

Of course, this is primarily applicable if one adds to (or subtracts from) the contents of the model. For retexturing, it may not matter. On the other hand, it is difficult to predict how the game is going to behave on the newer computers.

Opening the model in Max and renaming the Aurorabase isn't really needed.

You can just rename the MDL and MDX files...

Still, it's a nice little exercise for GMAX and how the files work etc. :)

If you don't, MF, then the original that you extracted (eg. you extract w_vbroswrd_001) then the w_vbroswrd_001 will show up as with the same skin as your new one. For some reason, KotOR checks the Aurora Bases as an override to the name. I've tested it out...

If you don't, MF, then the original that you extracted (eg. you extract w_vbroswrd_001) then the w_vbroswrd_001 will show up as with the same skin as your new one. For some reason, KotOR checks the Aurora Bases as an override to the name. I've tested it out...

Really?

That's never happened to me...

I've always been fine with renaming the files, and Hex Editing the texture names in...

Hmm.. Strange... :lol:

I'm glad the subject came up. I am about to do a request that would turn out badly if I had forgotten about the AB.

I have, of course, copied the tutorial to my desktop as a handy reference. It's nice to have something like this for those times when I get overzealous.

@MF: It may be one of those quirks that happens on some systems, but not others.

-

Really?

That's never happened to me...

I've always been fine with renaming the files, and Hex Editing the texture names in...

Hmm.. Strange... :lol:

I always use MDLOps, I just think it's easier, or I just go straight to max, apply my texture, change the AB name, and export...

God, I'm a noob to this stuff :(

Anyways, I'm starting another reskin from scratch. Using this tutorial, I tried opening modelname-ascii.mdl with MdLops, but, to no avail. It may be due to the fact I'm using TSL. I get the simple error:

"Model is not from binary source!"

Hmm... I have tested this multiple times, but maybe it's different in TSL. I'll try to come up with a solution in the next couple of minutes.

Edit: I tested it, extracted the .mdl and .mdx with KT, hit read and write models, opened modelnam-ascii with MDLOps, and clicked re-namer. It came up fine.

Archived