Home

Beauty and the airbrush?

jonathan7

Beauty will always be subjective, I guess, but airbrushing people to to fundamentally change their looks really annoys me - it's not being fair to the person in the picture, by portraying them in a completely different way.

Why can't it be like back in the 30s - 50s? Back then women weren't demanding to be airbrushed, and there were some really beautiful women back then.

Sure, the technology for retouching photos and films was around, but there wasn't the same emphasis on size or beauty as there was back then. Back then, most of the big name actresses had real appeal, not just based on their looks.

I'd rather have Ann Miller:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
5832474_1005596347.jpg

than Angelina Jolie:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
angelina_jolie.jpg

Simply because there wasn't really much of a preconception of 'beauty' back in the 40s and 50s.

Hehe, great thread J7.

As a father, I'm very concerned about the social messages about beauty that are being sent to my young daughter.

I think videos like yours (and like this) are important. Young women need to be aware that they the "ideals" that are served up are unrealistic.

Hehe, great thread J7.

As a father, I'm very concerned about the social messages about beauty that are being sent to my young daughter.

I think videos like yours (and like this) are important. Young women need to be aware that they the "ideals" that are served up are unrealistic.

Wow. Both of these videos are crazy.

Obviously I knew about retouching, but still - when you see it done in front of you like that it's really odd.

Ridiculous.

_EW_

Of course, what doesn't help now are the torrents of magazines with '8 million ways to lose ten kilos!' on the front cover.

And then there's the gossip sections - 'Britney eats Rice Cracker - gains 80 pounds!' and so on that promote unhealthy images of women.

All of that is then further compounded by the hundreds of male oriented magazines that have a '50 sexiest' list, and you can guarantee that not one of those women will weigh more than about 10 stone.

And many people who have seen 'celebrities' (and I use the term loosely) say that they don't 'look as pretty in real life'. Of course they don't. You can't photoshop real life.

And many people who have seen 'celebrities' (and I use the term loosely) say that they don't 'look as pretty in real life'. Of course they don't. You can't photoshop real life.
Heh, why sweat photoshop when you can just apply 50 lbs of makeup before you leave the house?

eva-longoria-without-makeup.JPG

(I have a buddy who's a big eva longoria fan. I enjoy crushing his dreams with this picture)

Heh, why sweat photoshop when you can just apply 50 lbs of makeup before you leave the house?

<snip>

(I have a buddy who's a big eva longoria fan. I enjoy crushing his dreams with this picture)

That's.... horrific... I think i'm going to be sick.

But the problem with 50lbs of makeup is that you see the lips and eyes coming twenty yards before the person. :lol:

Actually, I think, in the U.S. particularly, this is a fairly positive thing. People need to realize that as a nation (U.S.) we are overweight and unhealthy.

link

People actually need to see these images in order to re-enforce this fact on a daily basis (although it's not helping much currently). If people actually tried to be more like the people they see in these images one could make the argument we would actually be healthier as a society.

Enjoy!

KinchyB

one could make the argument we would actually be healthier as a society.

It wouldn't be a particularly good argument. I'd rather have everyone walk the Earth with the features that they were born with, at a weight that they are comfortable with, as opposed to all being barbie dolls with 28 in waists, ridiculous boob jobs and tons of makeup and cosmetic surgery.

So what if people are overweight and unhealthy? It's their life, their decision. No amount of government interference will stop me from eating and drinking what I want. Governments interfering is bad enough already, without them saying what we can and can't do in relation to our own bodies.

Hehe, great thread J7.

Aye, I think it's very concerning, a friend of mine is a model, and possibly the most beautiful woman I've met in person, and she recently got a boob job; something she didn't need - and personally I think it is all in her head from all the garbage magazine's she reads.

Ah, the airbrush has replaced diamonds as a girl's best friend (ok, hold those rotten tomatoes, a VAIN girl's best friend).

Disagree with you here Tot; I think the airbrush, is a girl's worst friend, as I think people are perusing a totally unrealistic version of beauty and it will lead to problems.

Actually, I think, in the U.S. particularly, this is a fairly positive thing. People need to realize that as a nation (U.S.) we are overweight and unhealthy.

link

People actually need to see these images in order to re-enforce this fact on a daily basis (although it's not helping much currently). If people actually tried to be more like the people they see in these images one could make the argument we would actually be healthier as a society.

Enjoy!

I disagree totally here, I think it is only a negative thing in the majority of cases, of my friends who overeat, the do so because they feel sorry for themselves about their weight and the way they look; and so comfort eat. Then many of good looking girl mates, want boob jobs and other rubbish in pursuit of something they will never get and will as such continue having lots of unnecessary operations. I think it most unfortunate that the UVtan club, will have lots of wrinkles in say 10 years time...

Never do this to me and Kristin Kreuk :p But it does "beautifully" illustrate the point.

Beauty will always be subjective, I guess, but airbrushing people to to fundamentally change their looks really annoys me - it's not being fair to the person in the picture, by portraying them in a completely different way.

Why can't it be like back in the 30s - 50s? Back then women weren't demanding to be airbrushed, and there were some really beautiful women back then.

Sure, the technology for retouching photos and films was around, but there wasn't the same emphasis on size or beauty as there was back then. Back then, most of the big name actresses had real appeal, not just based on their looks.

I'd rather have Ann Miller:

than Angelina Jolie:

Simply because there wasn't really much of a preconception of 'beauty' back in the 40s and 50s.

Generally I totally agree, but object to the example's used purely because one of my ex's looked like Angelina :xp:

Never do this to me and Kristin Kreuk :p
Meh, I think you'll be okay:

normal_K_Kreuk_008.jpg

btw:

It wouldn't be a particularly good argument. I'd rather have everyone walk the Earth with the features that they were born with, at a weight that they are comfortable with, as opposed to all being barbie dolls with 28 in waists, ridiculous boob jobs and tons of makeup and cosmetic surgery.
QFE.

I'd rather have everyone walk the Earth with the features that they were born with, at a weight that they are comfortable with

And what features are we talking about exactly? Everything you do impacts the way you look and feel. Some positive, others not. From a purely technical aspect this is impossible.

In regards to a weight they are comfortable with...(sorry ladies, no offense intended) if you can find a woman who is truly comfortable with her weight you deserve a cookie (maybe a nobel peace prize too if she didn't hurt you for asking about her weight :xp:).

Now seriously, how are we defining comfortable? What if your weight lends itself to health problems, is that comfortable? Arthritis, comfortable? The inability to walk up stairs, comfortable? Needing to buy an extra airline seat, comfortable? How about having to buy specific vehicles because you are too big for the standard ones, comfortable still?

Now, it's a wonderful ideal don't get me wrong, however, in the real world what people are really at a weight they are comfortable with?

as opposed to all being barbie dolls with 28 in waists, ridiculous boob jobs and tons of makeup and cosmetic surgery.

This is somewhat of a stereotype as not all models and everyone on the front page fits this description. So fortunately, everyone on earth would not fit this model. :)

So what if people are overweight and unhealthy? It's their life, their decision.

Life...think you meant "was" in this sentence...?

No amount of government interference will stop me from eating and drinking what I want.

Actually, this isn't necessarily true. Also, not sure where (why?) the government got involved here so I'm going to stick with the corporations involved in airbrushing, etc.

Your decisions are impacted every single day by what you see and hear. Even if its something you like you had to hear about somewhere, and more often than not it's commercials. So technically, the vast majority of what you eat, drink, wear, and think is a result of advertising...not necessarily individual unique thought. No one is immune from this unfortunately.

Governments interfering is bad enough already, without them saying what we can and can't do in relation to our own bodies.

No one is really saying you can or can't do anything. They are just advising that the odds are you'll die faster if you have an unhealthy diet. You can make the decision from there... :)

Meh, I think you'll be okay:

normal_K_Kreuk_008.jpg

Thank God! ;):xp:

You sound disappointed that I'll be okay? (I did know I would be anyway :p)

Personally I think naturally beautiful beats airbrushed anyday, and I prefer normal photo's although the above isn't that flattering.

You sound disappointed that I'll be okay? (I did know I would be anyway :p)
Maybe a little bit :xp:

Personally I think naturally beautiful beats airbrushed anyday, and I prefer normal photo's although the above isn't that flattering.
Agreed. I don't care very much for girls that get glammed up, but that's my own personal preference.

Hehe, great thread J7.

wow these videos are scary. :S

i didn't actually know they did that much to the pictures.

i'm not one of these girls who looks at magazines anyway, but wow.

Disagree with you here Tot; I think the airbrush, is a girl's worst friend, as I think people are perusing a totally unrealistic version of beauty and it will lead to problems.

I think you took me too literally there. Part of the reason I added "vain" in (). Was being tongue in cheek. I agree that the airbrushing does give people unrealistic perceptions about beauty. It doesn't necessarily do a lot for the models, as they know where a lot of their "flaws" are in the first place. Think I saw a clip somewhere of a playmate talking about how whenever she saw her pics in the mansion (or elsewhere), she knew exactly what flaws were being disguised in the shot. More girls should probably have to see most of the "before shots" of the ones they wish to emulate. Might not make themselves feel so inferior.

Along with airbrushing, to a somewhat lesser extent, is the injudicious use of makeup. How many gals have you seen that look better w/o it than w/the amount they end up using? What's sad are the ones that end up looking like Bozo the Clown after putting it on and won't listen to people who try to tell them that it makes them look like 'tutes. Cosmetic plastic surgery is also a very mixed bag.

How many gals have you seen that look better w/o it than w/the amount they end up using?

QFT

What is "All", Alex?

Correct KinchyB.

Now for our final jeapordy category..."Collagen Injections, Pro-tein or Con-Tein"

But seriously...the less a lady uses makeup the better.

Archived