Home

Beauty and the airbrush?

jonathan7

Wow. Both of these videos are crazy.

Obviously I knew about retouching, but still - when you see it done in front of you like that it's really appalling.

Ridiculous.

_EW_

QFE. But in all magazines? It is simply crazy if you ask me....

(I have a buddy who's a big eva longoria fan. I enjoy crushing his dreams with this picture)

:lol:

--

Yeah, I think this is getting a little bit out of hand. I honestly think that a lot of people don't know about this business. Standards of 'beauty' are set way to high. At a nearly, if not fully, and impossible level. A lot of people have fallen into that trap... :(

Of course, what doesn't help now are the torrents of magazines with '8 million ways to lose ten kilos!' on the front cover.

And then there's the gossip sections - 'Britney eats Rice Cracker - gains 80 pounds!' and so on that promote unhealthy images of women.

Are you trying to say English magazines help you lose weight, but American magazines make you fat?

Sad. This just shows me that America has grown into a state that revolves around beautiful, skinny women that have perfect teeth, nice hair, and a great 'body.' I imagine most things that we see on television have been enhanced beyond plausible recognition.

Either way, our sense of beauty has been perverted, and not many people are able to see through the dense fog that now clouds our perception of 'beauty.' To me, beauty should be on the inside. Beauty on the outside is just a bonus-- not required, but always nice to have. :p

This is somewhat of a stereotype as not all models and everyone on the front page fits this description. So fortunately, everyone on earth would not fit this model.[/Quote]

A stereotype, yes, but one that is being seen all too often in today's media.

Life...think you meant "was" in this sentence...?

[/Quote]

Nope, that sentence is as intended. :)

Actually, this isn't necessarily true. Also, not sure where (why?) the government got involved here so I'm going to stick with the corporations involved in airbrushing, etc. [/Quote]

I mentioned the government because, at least over here, there are always new drives by the government - They're going to ban this, or that, and refuse medical treatment to those who don't agree and follow the rules.

Are you trying to say English magazines help you lose weight, but American magazines make you fat?

Oh no, i'm implying nothing of the sort. These are just examples of headlines in gossip magazines over here in England - I dont know anything about American Magazines, so I can't really comment.

The 'kilos' thing was to emphasise the importance that these magazines place on loosing weight.

As a father, I'm very concerned about the social messages about beauty that are being sent to my young daughter.

I think videos like yours (and like this) are important. Young women need to be aware that they the "ideals" that are served up are unrealistic.

I couldn't possibly agree more. My daughter didn't want to wear her glasses at school last year because she was afraid they'd make her look ugly. We had a long discussion on what beauty really is. However, seeing all the magazine pictures, ads, the models in circulars in newspapers, and so forth make it really hard.

The emphasis on having 'perfect' this or that is, I think, causing way too many self-image problems. No one can be perfect, and women and men who constantly try to live up to such an unrealistic ideal find themselves wanting on a regular basis, which can only create negative feelings.

Holy crap. I knew post production played a major part in everything we see on TV, or billboards, but I never thought it was that far gone.

I couldn't possibly agree more. My daughter didn't want to wear her glasses at school last year because she was afraid they'd make her look ugly.

It's ridiculous and I have no doubt that you've explained as much to your daughter. I know a few beautiful girls who sometimes wear glasses for reading and such. It never made me think "Wow they look so ugly with those glasses", but I did wonder how they managed to damage their eyesight by the age of twenty.

but I did wonder how they managed to damage their eyesight by the age of twenty.

I'm curious as to why you think they 'damaged' their eyesight. I wear glasses, but i've never damaged my eyesight.

It's usually not a case of damaging one's sight, just having natural defects in your sight that require correction.

I should have probably rephrased the question as "Is it possible they damaged their eyesight by the age of twenty", since I can't be sure if it's some sort of family trait, so to speak, or if they did it to themselves.

Archived