Home

Any tech heads out there well versed in home theater?

Darth Groovy

I have a home theater system that doesn't work well with my xbox 360 at all.

I have this HDTV:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8719078&type=product&id=1201306784758

I have this surround sound system:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9856636

And of course an Xbox 360 with an HDMI port.

My problem:

I can run an HDMI cable into the TV for superior picture, but I have the ****tiest sound ever. Reason being, is my TV has no HDMI out, and my surround sound system has no HDMI in.

I have been ****ing around with this piece of **** for months and have come to only two conclusions. I can have either superior picture or sound, but never both. The only way I can run sound into my surround system is to run a cable from my AV out on the back of my TV directly into the surround system. Movies and TV perform fine. Hell, even my PS3 performs fine, but my 360, when I play any game it snaps, crackles and pops more than a bowl of rice crispies on acid. It pisses me the **** off to no end. I can't even play "Hungry Like The Wolf" on Rock Band 2 without it crackling to the beat...I **** you not. Is there any way to fix this without having to buy all new ****? Right now I am mad as ****, because I even went so far as to hook up my OLD surround system, and it still sounds the same. Right now I could punch a baby.

I am new to this HDMI stuff. So please forgive my ignorance.

Well, that's kind of hard to see, so I'll suggest just looking at the pages in each of the manuals that list all of the plugs on a diagram, and see if any match up. I looked up both manuals their websites, but only got the Dynex one to load, since the Philips one seems broken right now. You have several options, but I know at least your TV has an S/PDIF plug that you might be able to get a cable for. You could also try a replacement AV cord if that's whats screwing up the xbox audio.

I also know that DVI is effectively the same thing as HDMI (I even have a HDMI to DVI cable) except the video and audio are split up into different cables. I'm not sure what audio cable is used with DVI you could probably use that if you can figure out what it is.

A few notes on getting new cords: don't get monster cables, they're a ripoff; also, I've been using MonoPrice for awhile, and been very satisfied. I bought my last few HDMI cables there for less than 8 dollars and they all still work perfectly. I'm not sure about their selection of audio cables though.

Hope that helps.

Looking at this my first guess in problem solving is to look at the audio options in your 360. Otherwise it looks impossible to get HDMI audio through your surround sound. Maybe optical audio to the TV, then to the Surround sound, but that's all I can think off. It's just missing those critical HDMI out/in's.

Also, here are screen caps of the back of the TV and Surround Sound system (instead of having to load up the PDFs).

This was my problem:

360_hdmi_540x405.jpg

As you know on the back of the 360, it has the standard AV port, AND the HDMI port right below it. The original AV cord that came with the 360 will not fit into that jack with the HDMI cable. You can only use one or the other.

I fixed it late last night with the XBOX 360 HDMI cable set I bought at work.

The cable set looks like this in the package:

41lfHItkIVL.jpg

It comes with a standard HDMI cable AND this little cable here:

1443648361_373b5954f5.jpg

That cable enables me to run the HDMI cable into the TV, and then run the standard AUDIO directly into the Surround system. The extended AV jack allows both cables to fit in at the same time.

xbox.jpg

The only other piece I needed was a standard audio cable, for which I have an abundance of already. Now it sounds fine. Even on rock band!

I feel like an idiot for not figuring this out earlier. We have had these cables in our store for MONTHS!:(

Gah, grooves, if I had known that would have solved your problem I would have been able to save you some cash. The original cables don't fit and that's MS's ploy to make you buy their HDMI cable. However what they don't expect is for users like myself to pop the casing off the original A/V cable housing, enabling both of them to fit.

Gah, grooves, if I had known that would have solved your problem I would have been able to save you some cash. The original cables don't fit and that's MS's ploy to make you buy their HDMI cable. However what they don't expect is for users like myself to pop the casing off the original A/V cable housing, enabling both of them to fit.

:(

I hate you.

Archived