Home

Board Game Themes

Hey everyone, I have a bit of a problem. I take French and yesterday I learned that we need to make a French board game (don't leave the thread just yet -,-). I don't need any help with anything related to the French aspect, all I need is a good "theme" for the board game. I am not a creative person, at least not when it comes to school. Sadly, my teacher really emphasizes participation and we get a lot of assignments that require drawing, presenting, discussing, etc. which is why it's currently my least favorite class. On top of that, I'm the only one without a partner because I was absent on Tuesday (you see, my class has a whopping 7 people in it). So, I'm hoping to get some assistance from you guys :).

What's going to happen is, once we have a theme, we can fill the spaces with anything we like. For instance, "You break your leg. Lose a turn." The whole French part really just comes in when the teacher gives us the questions which players have to answer in order to move ahead. So, feel free to suggest all the themes you want. They do not have to be related to French in any way. One group is doing this sort of conquering game in Africa, for instance.

This thread is kind of a spur of the moment thing. It's about 10am here and I'll be leaving in an hour, which means I'm going to be helpless if we work on this thing at all today. The good news is it isn't due until Monday, hence this thread. So, please help :[

How about some kind of La Tour Eiffel shaped board. 3 dimentional, 4 players. Each person starts at the bottom of one the 4 struts at the base and first one to the top wins. There could be some kind of snakes and ladders type interaction between the bases along the way. *shrugs*

Way to skip over the era of my dearest love Louis XIV SW01

:rofl:

Yes, Louis XIV did a lot to secure the position of France in the eighteenth century, dragging it out of mediaeval feudalism and towards the more 'modern' centralisation. Not to mention that he expanded the Empire considerably. And anyone that says "L'État, c'est moi!" is fine by me! :lol:

(Yes, I know he probably didn't say it, but still.)

For all that though, I believe that Bonaparte's regime really made France a feared power. He did, after all, push into Russian territory while also engaging the British Empire. Until, of course, we unleashed Lord Nelson and the Duke of Wellington on him! :D

good ole poverty makes you very creative... I used to make my own board games all the time as a youngling.. For a French themee I'd go for a snakes and ladders type deal, shaped like France, and have things like the eiffel, louvre and arc de triomphe as ladders, and a guillotine, the bastille, (treaty of)versailles and the (battle of the)somme as snakes.. Pop Napeoleon on, The Mona Lisa, That famous delacroix painting(Liberty), Zinedine Zidane as decorations easy ;)

mtfbwya

Sorry. I checked back at this Thursday afternoon and there were no posts yet, and since then I've kept forgetting to check again lol...

You guys came up with some pretty good stuff, but I learned Friday that this is quite a bit simpler than I originally thought. At least two of the groups were almost done with the boards themselves after less than an hour of combined class-time to work on it. Furthermore, your themes and ideas are far too intelligent to warrant being used by me here. A three dimensional Eiffel Tower board!? I envy you for your artistic ability if you can do something like that :(. One of the people in my class actually suggested my theme be "Wal-Mart" and that I could make spaces like "you slip next to a caution sign and break your leg. Lose two turns!" etc. I'm thinking I'll just do that. Thanks for your suggestions though. If this was a serious project that I couldn't just half-ass with a ridiculous theme, I'd certainly be using one of yours :).

Archived