Home

Israeli/Palestinian Conflict MEGATHREAD

Det. Bart Lasiter

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a little blame to all parties involved and their treatment of Germany after WWI.

Agreed, but however harsh the reparations, and while Britain may share some responsibility for not upholding promises to the Palestinians, I find it a considerable stretch that the UK should feel guilty for the Holocaust, or that all the people Israel kill is somehow the fault of the UK. The post offended quite a few from the UK, and as such was removed. Which was more a substantial part a of a post that was deleted.

Agreed, but however harsh the reparations, and while Britain may share some responsibility for not upholding promises to the Palestinians, I find it a considerable stretch that the UK should feel guilty for the Holocaust, or that all the people Israel kill is somehow the fault of the UK.

I agree that the last bit of that is going too far, to be honest I meet far too many Jews who wave the Holocaust in everyone faces to protect themselves from criticism. Not that a lot of people don't do that with something similar, but you rarely hear about the Homosexuals or the cripples or the Romanies justifying or having their actions justified because of the huge numbers of them Hitler killed.

Humanity as a whole, Europeans and their descendants in particular, should collectively feel guilty for the Holocaust, because it means we recognize it was bad and that it should not happen again. It also shows that even if we didn't do it, we understand what motivated it, why it happened, ect...ect...

Well to add to that, I was talking to a world history teacher at a local high school and he told me something that made quite a bit of sense. He said something along the lines that the worst thing that a country could ever do is nothing, that what makes events so terrible is that good people sit by and let them happen.

I think many people are cupable in this Israeli/Palestinian conflict and not just the principles. Nations with the ability to do something about it don't do anything and more often than not it has to do with political and economic interests. The world is a lousy place at times because we let it. I know this sounds like the rambling of an idealistic fool but when you put aside the party politics and essentially the bull, what this high school teacher told me is essentially right.

In this conflict I don't think there is a "good guys" and "bad guys" here. We have a situation that is a historic perpetuation since the region has been under conflict since biblical times and is only accentuated by "outsiders" perpetuating hegmonic differences among the people. Colonialism is an effective tool at that. Granted that hegemony existed before colonialism arrived, there are records of relative peace in the region.

So this conflict is the product of history but we have let it get to the point that we are willing to sit and let the opponents tear each other apart.

Archived