Home

For all of you people still having problems running the game

Longcat

It kind of depends on how 'much' anti-aliasing is being applied. If you're only choice is to have it on or off, for GF off is probably best. But if you have choices like 2x, 4x, 8x, and other choices (which you probably don't have access to unless you're using an unofficial settings tweaker), GF tends to like settings like 2x or 2x1 or 2x2 best, depending (on what, I don't know).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another issue to be aware of is that either newer GeForce cards or drivers (not sure which) completely waste Grim Fandango, and the same may be the case for Radeon. Try going to the game's options and disabling hardware acceleration to circumvent the graphics card altogether.

It kind of depends on how 'much' anti-aliasing is being applied. If you're only choice is to have it on or off, for GF off is probably best. But if you have choices like 2x, 4x, 8x, and other choices (which you probably don't have access to unless you're using an unofficial settings tweaker), GF tends to like settings like 2x or 2x1 or 2x2 best, depending (on what, I don't know).

GF runs with a native resolution of 640x480. The game should switch to that mode when you start it up anyway.

Please post a screenshot of what you mean by 'pixel losses'. GF runs fine on my ATi Radeon 4850 HD on an iMac with full hardware acceleration.

It goes wery backwards now in alot of areas at the same time :thmbup1:

Downloading the extra "GRIMDATA" package to the game directory causes some problems now for me, as soon as merging the regfile "goodtimes" to computer, the game exe file stopps responding after, the question is if the patch take any effect if not using goodtime? does this package involve the official patch 1.01?

Have now reinstalled game throu "GrimSetup1.0" with standalone "Gfupd101"

starting throu modified "Grim Launcher" causes this message on both "Play Fullscreen" and "Windowed Mode"

double klick

4c1bbf53566976.gif

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

it still doenst like my desktop resolution it seems?

However if starting throu the CD autorun it will work, but it doesnt look good as usual

there are two options i have, if choose to use ingame 3d accelerator, all people in the world will become invisible unless Many runs

if disable 3d accelerator instead, it will ironicly create a shadow snailtrail behind Many when he runs

and in my opinion catalyst own settings there will not affect these 2 crap modes no matter how you sett them

Catalyst settings available i have mixtured with

79452f53571305.gif 03dff853571307.gif a8315453571308.gif

Some of what you are describing, especially models disappearing if the game's 3D is turned on, still sounds very much like problems caused by too-high FSAA settings. If you're using the official driver config and such settings aren't available, I'd suggest finding some unofficial Radeon tweaker (something akin to RivaTuner--which is adding Radeon support although I have no idea how much tweaking of Radeon adapters it'll let you do yet) to see what level of FSAA is set and adjust as I've already suggested. I cannot stress this enough: I think you're probably wasting your time unless and until you check into this FSAA question.

to see what level of FSAA is set and adjust as I've already suggested. I cannot stress this enough: I think you're probably wasting your time unless and until you check into this FSAA question.

Im not sure i understand english allways, so how do i check what FSAA i have setted in catalyst? cause there is a difference between standard AA and your FSAA right?

this is not any telling FSAA right? but its the lowest AA settings i can ever squeeze out, and this doesnt work with Grim

79452f53571305.gif

There's really no difference between AA and FSAA apart from two extra letters that stand for 'full screen'. I'm showing my age by using an older term. From your screenshot, the only thing I'm concerned about is the top section about antialiasing. I don't have your hardware so I can't experiment, only guess. I normally wouldn't think that having 'use application settings' checked would be a problem for GF, but am I right in thinking it was and you had problems? If so, unchecking that option and leaving the slider all the way to the left ought to be OK but I'm not sure. All I can say is that the same setting worked fine for me on an older computer I no longer have with an Nvidia card. On the chance you already tried that as well, I'm curious about the filter drop-down. What other choices are there other than 'box'? I think I know what 'filter' is about but manufacturers have their own jargon sometimes.

There's really no difference between AA and FSAA apart from two extra letters that stand for 'full screen'. I'm showing my age by using an older term. From your screenshot, the only thing I'm concerned about is the top section about antialiasing. I don't have your hardware so I can't experiment, only guess. I normally wouldn't think that having 'use application settings' checked would be a problem for GF, but am I right in thinking it was and you had problems? If so, unchecking that option and leaving the slider all the way to the left ought to be OK but I'm not sure. All I can say is that the same setting worked fine for me on an older computer I no longer have with an Nvidia card. On the chance you already tried that as well, I'm curious about the filter drop-down. What other choices are there other than 'box'? I think I know what 'filter' is about but manufacturers have their own jargon sometimes.

Yes Grim hade no problem with AA enabled on my pretty modern Geforce card either, the only thing keeping me from still using it is that i think i need the extra ram in this ati card!! :(

I have tested both application settings and the other alternative '2X AA'

i may see that as a problem..that you cant disable AA fully with Radeon, what if Grim having issue with as low as 2 AA, and what if "application settings" grayed out 2X AA still are forcing 2X AA ingame even thou this sounds like it should have no AA

The other filter options are

Narrow-tent

Wide-tent

Edge-detect

have never tested to change here

If you can't full disable the antialiasing, that could be a problem if that's what's happening. Are you sure it is? Unfortunately, I don't see any point in trying those other filter options because they are higher settings: box is lowest quality and edge-detect is highest, just like 2x is also a low-end setting. And that's very odd because 2x plus box should be fine for GF because that kind of setting was available to adapters that were around when GF was new. There could be hidden settings. I'd be surprised if there weren't, but you'd need an unofficial Radeon tweaker of some sort to fiddle with them. I've never had a Radeon so I've never had the opportunity to tweak one, which means I've helped all I possibly can.

• 4 weeks later...

:) I just switched graphic card from ATI to Nvidia just to get Grim to work

A Geforce 8600 GTS, latest nvidia driver installed

here is the new result lol (3d accelerator disabled)

1594d458764944.gif

3d accelerator enabled crashes the game directley

and here is my nvidia settings, as low as possible as far as i can see? no AA active!

dceba158764817.gif

Now i have only one chance left :thmbup1: i have buyed a new processor and mothercard (no, not for Grim's sake) perhaps its my current computer who have screwed up every grahic card with Grim? :¬: or perhaps the fate for me is that Fandango shall remain a fading memory only when i sit there in diaper at the "home"

i had the same problem with my Geforce 8600GT and i wrote a fix for the problem. it's on this thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=197200. you can try if you want to.

Nice thanks, the problem for me is that i cant succesfully enable 3d accelerator before starting your tool, cause game crash upon enabling and return to disable

i then ignored that and simply started game throu your tool, it hade disable possibility to enable 3d inside options, but the stripes from my screenshot is still present im afraid

however i must test this on my ATI card allso i feel, there i can atleast enable 3d accelerator

With various trix including windows 98 compatibility mode, i can with grimDDfix

now get this result

i dont remember how good the shadow originaly shall be, but this is still far away from it right?

if i just could disable shadows now, i could accept this

4dc53259097797.gif

c706e059098234.gif

add lowest down setting= vertical sync - force off

i dont remember how good the shadow originaly shall be, but this is still far away from it right?

Nope, that's as good as it gets, shadow-wise. This is, after all, a 1998-vintage game. Expect crap shadows. And there's no way (I know of, and I've read the LucasHacks article more than once) to turn of the shadows. Turn off model shading, yes; shadows, no.

With various trix including windows 98 compatibility mode, i can with grimDDfix

now get this result

if i just could disable shadows now, i could accept this

i'm glad that you are able to run the game but i have to agree with MeddlingMonk on the shadow thingy. given the age of the game, graphics-wise not much improvement can be expected. just the enjoy the great story and game-play. who knows lucas arts might make a re-imagined version as they did with 'the secret of monkey island' recently.

Nope, that's as good as it gets, shadow-wise. This is, after all, a 1998-vintage game. Expect crap shadows. And there's no way (I know of, and I've read the LucasHacks article more than once) to turn of the shadows. Turn off model shading, yes; shadows, no.

Are you sure

this player have no shadow at all, wonder how he did

but i saw another youtube wallktrough where it looked similar to me

otherwise i can conclude that having as low as 2 AA will cause Manny to dissapear in both my nvidia and ati card, stil i have heard of people being able to have AA activated in Grim, perhaps there is a chance i could be one of thoose when i install the new motherboard thou, or its simply choosing the right graphic card modell,and i was unlucky with my 2 in this case :thmbup1:

this player have no shadow at all

That isn't exactly right. In this video Manny doesn't have a shadow in the corridor outside his office, and he should, but he does in his office and in the garage. The LucasHacks article on available commands for fiddling with GF does not list one for turning off shadows, so that's what I'm going by. And I suspect that the guy who made that video did nothing to turn off the shadow in the corridor, because why turn if off for the corridor part and back on in the garage? More than likely it's something that just happened. I've had shadow weirdness myself. Usually it's black but sometimes it has irregular flickering.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone got this working on Windows 7?

Won't even let me install it on my 64bit system.

Hi mate, I just got it run under Win 7 x64.

use the fan-made installer.

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/grim-fandango-setup

Download this archive http://folk.ntnu.no/bjarner/Grim/GRIMDATA.rar and overwrite the files in your install directory with the files from the archive.

At last, start the game using the launcher which came with the installer.

The starter is also fan-made and does a good job.

No compatibility mode, nothing like that, just run the game and enjoy.

Hope that I was able to help. ^^

• 1 month later...

Archived