Home

Imperial Star Destroyer vs. USS Enterprise

Jae Onasi

In this case the writers did know what they were talking about, hate to break it to you, but that one Trek episode completely debunks the idea that an ISD could actually take on Kirk's Enterprise.

There was another episode involving an alien cloud creature that fed on blood that there was an antimatter bomb used to kill it.

-- Wikipedia summary of Star Trek TOS Episode: Obsession

I underlined the key word of most of the planet being destroyed, and that was from a device that wasn't anywhere near the size of a Turbolaser, and yet it on explosion it took out most of the planet, and that's what the Enterprise uses to generate fuel.

That's two ToS episodes that directly contradict that one line being used, and prove that an ISD wouldn't stand a chance against the Enterprise.

I'm going to call you out on an age old story telling device:

Plot

The writers, with themselves limited knowledge on science, tell a story over the course of many many series and use many mechanics to get the hero out of the tight spot. How do we blow up a planet? Well, lets give them this super missile that in other episodes seems to do jack ****! How do we save them from the showdown? How about in this episode their aim is 100% even though in ever episode prior they can't aim at all!

Star Trek, more than Star Wars, is primarily made of plot armor and plot devices. It is a common way to make Friday night television shows. Plot is what makes House immune to vicodin and come up with BS science to explain a BS disease. It is what keeps the Power Rangers alive on an episodic basis.

So, still, with all your science you still have contradictions within the universe. You choose to ignore them entirely while others do not, but it is still simple fact that it happened. By an episodic basis the Ship may be able to pull of attacks and defenses that would have either helped them a lot in another episode or wrapped up another episode's plot in a second.

But then that wouldn't make good episodes.

Thus, this entire thread is basically inconstant plot armor vs the ISD.

I am going to favor the ISP in this because we have yet to see an ISD with plot armor. The fact of the matter is, the Enterprise would win again any single object within the Star Wars universe because it has a bunch of Enterprise loving trekkies as Writers.

And the fact is because you yourself seem to favor the Trek universe, it would probably win against anything else either. Your argument isn't flawless; its just favoritism.

You may as well have the Power Rangers fight the ISD. They never die, they can take pretty much infinite damage, and at the end of the episode they always win. What does that sound like?

Star Trek.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_shield

This post wins! -RH

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going to call you out on an age old story telling device:

Funny I'm going to call you out because you're disregarding basic math...

64.4 megatons (1 photon torpedo) > 48 megatons (which is the maximum possible yield (being overly generous because it is a weapon with the explosive power in the range of kilotons) for 48 proton torpedos that an X-Wing Squadron could launch in 1 salvo)

A photon torpedo tube can launch 10 photon torpedos in rapid succession.

64.4 x 10 = 644 megatons

Assuming a proton torpedo has a yield of 1 megaton, it would take 644 proton torpedos to match the destructive power of 10 photon torpedos.

Based on the Star Wars: X-Wing series specifically Book 4 "The Bacta War" That kind of firepower would be enough to take out the shields of a Super Star Destroyer in the first salvo.

A Galaxy Class has two photon torpedo tubes that are able to be fired without Saucer seperation when saucer seperation is complete there is a third torpedo tube is available.

The fact a single photon torpedo (real world physics (which matches Trek Physics)) has more destructive power than what an entire squadron of X-Wings can fire all at once (48 proton torpedos) and that can take down the shields of an ISD. A single photon torpedo could take down the shields of an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Also I'm being overly generous to Star Wars here, considering 1 megaton = 1,000 kilotons...

Oh and the Enterprise-E's Quantum torpedoes are 8x as powerful as a standard photon torpedo.

That means a single Quantum Torpedo would have the explosive yield of 515.2 megatons. We've seen the Enterprise-E launch up to 4 in a rapid burst, but supposedly you can launch up to 10 in a rapid burst.

So if we were to go with it being 4 quantum torps we would be looking at 2,060.8 megatons or about 2,061 proton torpedos (being overly generous to Star Wars)

10 Quantum Torpedos we would be looking at: 5,152 megatons or 5,152 proton torpedos (still being overly generous to Star Wars).

Again I'm just going by the numbers, basic units of measure, etc. Charecter shields would be in play if it was a ground fight, but going by the numbers the Imperials wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell.

By the numbers, the Enterprise-D looks to be practically an even match for a Super Star Destroyer, and the Enterprise-E by the numbers could tear a Super Star Destroyer to shreds...

:ugh: -RH

Funny I'm going to call you out because you're disregarding basic math...

Basic math? Hahaha, your math is based upon inconstant information from a television show with little to no basis in reality. Excuse me for ignoring most of it.

Lets not mention that the two universes may have different rules on physics, and when placed in the same may universe may change significantly between them.

One universe is ours with BS science, and the other is a universe where the Force and lightsabres exist. They don't follow the same rules, so just comparing the numbers between the two is just as much BS, again, as making the science up on the spot.

And, again, I'm going to have to point out the plot hax in your universe. There are somehow enemies in your Star Trek universe even though an exploratory ship seems to have the firepower to take out a small solar system in 4 shots. That is 20 minute plot resolution at work, not science/math.

Why are the Borg even considered an enemy at all in generation? Just teleport an anti-matter bomb into every single one of their ships and the conflict is over within a few minutes. With the ****ty storyline Star Trek seems to have placed up by your logic, there shouldn't even be a Star Trek to begin with. What is conflict when your PDA can atomize people in 1 shot, and your ship can single handedly take out the entire fleet within 30 seconds?

Either I'm missing something, or you are giving Star Trek way too much credit.

OK I have figured out who would win between the two, it would be Star Destroyer because Revan would be pilot and he has huge muscles!!! and would just force crush the enterprise!!!11

And he has really cute buns. --Jae

OK I have figured out who would win between the two, it would be Star Destroyer because Revan would be pilot and he has huge muscles!!! and would just force crush the enterprise!!!11

[/] Thread

*sighs* This thread has become far to serious, and also too geeky to be in Ahto, as such I officially end proceedings; Yoda wins! -- j7

Archived