Home

PSU shopping

ChAiNz.2da

That's great! I was afraid that you'd missed it. Great PSU for the price of a junky one.

Keep that place you ordered from, Fry's Electronics, in mind in the future when you build your new rig. Some of the best deals on computer hardware can be found there. Some of the sales in their actual brick & mortar are even crazier to the point of being the stuff of legend. One example would be when the 45NM Core2 Duos replaced the 65NM models a year ago. An E6600 that was selling for ~$200.00 one day was ~$75.00 the next; no exaggeration.

Those Newegg newsletter and Live.com cashback will also come in handy when you're shopping for your new hardware. When you're ready to build anew, just give me a holler. We'll see how cheaply we can throw something together that will make your old rig seem like a TRS-80 in comparison. :D

Not cool.

So I get my new psu today, and it doesn't fit. No problem, a few pieces of metal and a few rivets less and it fits A-OK.

Except of course, that you had me replace a 20-pin psu with a 24-pin one.

Not necessarily your fault, since the specs I sent you seem to neglect this very interesting fact.

Now what do I do? :(

_EW_

You mean the plug doesn't divide? It isn't 20+4? Almost all of them do that. Given the age of your computer I guessed that it would be 20-pin, but like I said, almost all of them are 20+4-pin and can divide.

As far as the case goes, I had to do the same to my Dell.

No, you're not. You just got a nasty surprise that you weren't expecting and that I wrongly assumed everyone already knew about. That's all. :)

Oh, and if the little CPU power connector is 8-pin and your motherboard takes 4-pin, that plug should divide, too. It's potentially more confusing since the 2 halves are identical, but because they're identical you can use either one.

Oh, and if the little CPU power connector is 8-pin and your motherboard takes 4-pin, that plug should divide, too. It's potentially more confusing since the 2 halves are identical, but because they're identical you can use either one.

It's 4pin, but I don't seem to have a CPU power connector place on my motherboard. :confused:

I wrote down where each piece from the old PSU went and then just connected the same things into the same locations.

Is that possible?

_EW_

IIRC, that came in with the P4 (its' known as the P4 power connector). It's been standard ever since, and has now evolved into a 8-pin. What CPU does that computer have?. The motherboard may not have one.

IIRC, that came in with the P4 (its' known as the P4 power connector). It's been standard ever since, and has now evolved into a 8-pin. What CPU does that computer have?. The motherboard may not have one.

Yeah I'm not sure what it has but I'm sure the mobo doesn't have one.

Just about to test it; I'm excited!

_EW_

Not bad. Well over $100.00, though. Wanna save ~50 bucks? :)

I believe this this would be your best deal. It's top-rated, and can run two of those Quadro FX 3800s in SLI if you want to get a second one in the future. At 50 amps, the +12v rail amperage is the same as that Cooler Master, and I'm willing to bet that the build is just as good and probably better. It has a 5-year warranty, and Corsair rebates are reliable. You're not going to do any better for $70.00.

That rebate ends tonight, so you'll have to buy it now, but it's a great buy and it certainly has all of the power that you'll need.

Not bad. Well over $100.00, though. Wanna save ~50 bucks? :)

I believe this this would be your best deal. It's top-rated, and can run two of those Quadro FX 3800s in SLI if you want to get a second one in the future. At 50 amps, the +12v rail amperage is the same as that Cooler Master, and I'm willing to bet that the build is just as good and probably better. It has a 5-year warranty, and Corsair rebates are reliable. You're not going to do any better for $70.00.

That rebate ends tonight, so you'll have to buy it now, but it's a great buy and it certainly has all of the power that you'll need.

Hm, can't buy tonight, but how about the 600W version?

http://www.buy.com/prod/600w-silent-pro-m/q/loc/101/210674277.html

About the same price as the one you linked.

The one I linked to is $70.00 after rebate. Are you sure you can't buy it tonight? It's a hella good deal.

Also: pay more attention to the +12v amperage than the total wattage. The 620W Corsair is 50 amps, like the 700W Cooler Master. That 600W Cooler Master only has 40 amps.

Definitely the first one. All of the power you'll need (enough to run 2 of those Quadro FX 3800s if you ever want to get a second one) and that price is unbeatable even with CA sales tax. Don't forget to go to Newegg through Live.com's cashback program to get an extra $2.50 off.

Archived