Home

PSU shopping

ChAiNz.2da

Heya Gang!

Have had some recent problems with my PSU (UltraX3 1,000w) trying to push my GTX280 and other goodies within the computer (fans, 3 SATA drives, etc.). And while the spec 'initially' looked good (while the GTX280's were relatively new) it's now come to many's attention that the X3 isn't all it's cracked out to be. Some have no problems, others have constant failures. I fall into the constant failures category no matter what I've tried. :fist:

While yes it hosts a whopping 70a on a single 12v rail, and includes cables out the yang, the required 8pin connector I need is actually a 6(2) cable (6 pin to 8 pin).

I need a PSU that has both dedicated 6pins and 8 pins without having to use an adapter or 6(2) cable, and something that will later allow me to SLI two GTX280's (in the future).

• Has to have modular cabling
  • Multiple 12v rails don't bother me
  • don't really care about the wattage but it must have 36a on at least one rail (possibly 2 depending on SLI needs). I'd assume it would probably range in the 1,000w - 1,600w range however if a lower watt psu can push it.. the numbers don't mean much to me.. hehehe
  • Has to be able to push: Intel Quad-Core QX9650 (3.0Ghz), potentially (2) GTX280's, (3) SATA II 7,200rpm drives, (1) NB fan, (2) chassis fans, (1) CPU Cooler fan and (1) pci slot fan.
  • Must be SLI certified.

Not looking to spend a fortune, but I also realize that quality doesn't come cheap so price is negotiable depending on what can be dug up.

Currently I'm looking at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153054

Any help or suggestions would be welcome. :)

What kind of failures have you experienced with that Ultra?

Ultras have a lifetime warranty if you it registered online.

Running the system idle and minor usage everything runs swell (email, web browsing.. even photoshop) as soon as anything taxes the GPU (games or F@H) though it instantly shuts down the monitors to either black or a solid color and seems to somewhat enter a power-saving mode that you can't wake from (hard reboot). Typical signs of starving the vid card of power.

Temps run at a max of 60c at 100% load, 44c at idle so the vid card isn't having any problems other than being starved.

EDIT: I should probably add that my UltraX3 isn't failing as far as operation goes, it's just that it doesn't have the proper connectors to supply the power hungry 280's. 6 pin connectors supply a guaranteed 75w no matter what type of cabling/adapter is used. A 'true' 8 pin connector however supplies 150w (what the 280 is wanting).

OK, I get it now. Searching...

EDIT: Does the 6+2-pin connector not supply 150W? What would be the point, then? A lot of these high-wattage PSUs have only 6+2-pin. Sorry about my ignorance on the issue, but I've never had a video card that required 8-pin.

EDIT #2: Newegg has a 20% off sale going on several high-wattage PSUs until the 16th. Good brands, too. I don't know if it requires a subscription to their newsletter to get it, but subscribing is a good idea anyway. Lots of deals there.

There's different rumors that go around.. but from my experience the 6(2) plug uses dummy plugs for it's ground rather than true dedicated grounds (the 2 extra pins on an 8 pin).

With an 8 pin, the 2 grounds cause less resistance. Less resistance == more current. More current == more POWAH :lightning

EVGA absolutely refuses to include 6(2) pins for their cards as it's a fire hazard if the gauge of wire isn't large enough. BFG (my card) however did provide the 6(2) pin cable, what I'm using atm.. but it just isn't supplying the power needed.

It works for some, but not for others and unfortunately I'm one of the 'others' :xp: The 8 pin is a guaranteed 145w(150) while a 6(2) is a guaranteed 75w and a 'you might get 150w'. I'd like to go for the guarantee.. hehehe

OK, I'll look for native 8-pin, then. :)

Did you check out Newegg's sale? I guess it won't be much of a sale for you since you live in TN (one of NE's warehouses is in Nashville, so you'll have to pay that atrocious TN sales tax), but it's probably worth checking out anyway.

Did you check out Newegg's sale? I guess it won't be much of a sale for you since you live in TN (one of NE's warehouses is in Nashville, so you'll have to pay that atrocious TN sales tax), but it's probably worth checking out anyway.

Yah. I actually found it about $60 cheaper (than anyone else) on Amazon of all places. Ordered it yesterday and the tracking number says it's already in Memphis... If I'm lucky.. hopefully they'll deliver it to me on Saturday (tomorrow) rather than Monday :emodanc:

Running the system idle and minor usage everything runs swell (email, web browsing.. even photoshop) as soon as anything taxes the GPU (games or F@H) though it instantly shuts down the monitors to either black or a solid color and seems to somewhat enter a power-saving mode that you can't wake from (hard reboot). Typical signs of starving the vid card of power.

Interestingly enough, I've just recently begun having this problem.

It's never done it before, so I was unfamiliar with it.

Is there something I can do in order to remedy this without going out and buying a new PSU? My computer is actually rather old (over 6 years now!) and I plan on getting a new one around the turn of the year, but I like mah games (and that was the problem I was having with F@H, too).

So like, power settings or something?

_EW_

It could be that your PSU is wearing out. They do this over time, of course, in that they still work but can't produce the same levels of power that they once did. If you could tell me what kind of PSU (model#) and what type of graphics card you have, I'd probably be able to find you something very cheap that will tide you over until you can buy a new computer.

Thanks Q. I'm going to pull apart my PC later today to check the PSU.

Although, I may wait a bit to buy it because my PSU fan was incredibly dirty, so I cleaned it and it seems to be spinning smoother now.

But I'll get you those specs in a few hours.

_EW_

Also, I realized that I probably should have upgraded my PSU when I upgraded my gfx card. So I'm running a 200W PSU when I probably need more power than that.

:rofl:

HahahaHAAAH!

That's GREAT! I can't believe that it's run like that for 2 years before crapping out!

OK, what you're going to want is to spend the absolute minimum on a computer that old. I'm searching for something now that's cheap but not junk. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. :)

That's GREAT! I can't believe that it's run like that for 2 years before crapping out!

Glad I've entertained you. :xp:

Anyway, the funny part is that it only has problems when playing Mass Effect for more than about 45mins to an hour. TSL/Kotor & every other game that I have on here work just fine. :D And I don't have any troubles at all streaming TV or any daily work.

OK, what you're going to want is to spend the absolute minimum on a computer that old. I'm searching for something now that's cheap but not junk. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. :)

Thank you very much :)

_EW_

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what kind of graphics card are you powering with that mouse-on-a-wheel? :xp:

I too have had dealings with the HiPro... dealings that have resulted with the HiPro being yanked out and out in the cupboard, where it remains to this very day :D

The 7600GS isnt too horrible for gaming at standard (1280) rez. A more stable PSU, a good ole dusting of the the inside case and some new TIM for your CPU, and that thing will run like its new.

mtfbwya

I'm trying, Ender, but I have yet to find anything yet that isn't junk. I let you know as soon as I do.

Hey, don't sweat it. Luckily I have this nice laptop to work on in the meantime, while my PC sits on the family room endtable :xp:

I'm in no rush; I'd rather get something that works (recommended, even :) ) than something fast.

_EW_

I'm glad that your in a position to wait. You'll get the best deal that way. Something will be along. :)

EDIT: OK, Ender, this PSU is very, very good. You'll have to jump through some hoops to get it, but you'll get it for $38.25 when all is said and done and you won't find anything better at that price.

The first thing you'll need to do is sign up for Newegg's newsletter. The second is to sign up for Live.com's cashback program, bring up their list of participating stores, and go to Newegg via their link to get an additional 2.5% off (you'll get it back from Microsoft). You have to use the link provided by Live.com for it to work, so close any other newegg pages that you may be viewing at the time to avoid any confusion. Once at Newegg, find the PSU, add it to the cart, and before checking out enter the promotional code "EMCLRPL33" (without quotes) in the box on shopping cart page for $5 more. Once you get the PSU, send in the rebate to get $30.00 back, and the final cost will be $38.25. Corsair rebates take a while, but they are extremely reliable and trackable on the net. I've received 3 out of 3 that I submitted myself recently. :)

You're not going to find a better PSU at that price anywhere. ;)

I'm Q. :D

Just jump through all those hoops and you'll have yourself a first-rate PSU for chump-change. Be warned, though: that's just over half price, and if I know about it, a lot of other internet cheapskates bargain-hunters know as well, so get it while you can.

I'm Q. :D

Just jump through all those hoops and you'll have yourself a first-rate PSU for chump-change. Be warned, though: that's just over half price, and if I know about it, a lot of other internet cheapskates bargain-hunters know as well, so get it while you can.

Ordering right now :thmbup1:

_EW_

Ordering right now :thmbup1:

_EW_

Hit the brakes!!!!11!!!

Aw, dammit! I found a better deal, Ender, and you won't have to jump through nearly as many hoops to get it. Ain't that the way? It's up to you, but if I were you, I'd get this one instead. It's cheaper, comparable in quality and much less of a hassle. If you've already ordered the other one from Newegg, you can cancel it.

Hit the brakes!!!!11!!!

Aw, dammit! I found a better deal, Ender, and you won't have to jump through nearly as many hoops to get it. Ain't that the way? It's up to you, but if I were you, I'd get this one instead. It's cheaper, comparable in quality and much less of a hassle. If you've already ordered the other one from Newegg, you can cancel it.

Nah, was to hit buy! (took a while to sign up for all of those things :xp:)

So I should get this one instead?

_EW_

I would. ;)

I believe that they're both made by Seasonic, so the quality's broadly the same. This Antec also has added bonuses of having a little more power and it is semi-modular. No rebate, coupon code or Live.com cashback to mess with. $30.00 straight up.

EDIT at 10:13: Damn! I knew that wasn't going to last very long. Those Fry's "secret sauce" deals never do. Hopefully you got one, or you live near a Fry's and can pick it up there. If not, go ahead and get the Corsair.

EDIT at 10:13: Damn! I knew that wasn't going to last very long. Those Fry's "secret sauce" deals never do. Hopefully you got one, or you live near a Fry's and can pick it up there. If not, go ahead and get the Corsair.

Clicked through at about 9:55.

Thanks again, Q. Should get it in a few days.

_EW_

Archived