Home

Good Old Ebay!

plamdi

You can never beat it:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400055749916

Seeing as I own both those versions - complete and in pristine condition (the difference is the Monkey2 I have is 5 1/4" floppies not 3.5") - I now know how much they're worth! My Big Box CD-ROM version also has the white EULA card (which is blue and attached to the back of the manual on the no-box release), and the customer satisfaction/survey form (both are missing in that auction). And of course I have the LEC brochure (which is pictured in that auction). It is *complete*-*complete*!

Can someone please move this to the General Discussion forum? I posted in wrong forum.

Anyway, here's my copies:

m1spreadsml.jpg

m2spreadsml.jpg

I put the hintbooks in those photos for two reasons - one because I own them, and two because that's how this copy of Monkey2 came to me ... complete, near mint condition and with the hintbook (and yes that is the original store receipt dated '92).

I also have the same CD-ROM version in "no-box" version. Minty condition. One of the two "five language disc" is in true as new condition. Monkey Island Madness disc *as new*. And... now... finally, I have a a *complete* copy of Classic Tales on its way to me:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290326087833

Finally. This will be my 3rd copy. (All that's left of my original copy is an incomplete disc set, the Monkey1 wheel and the combined manual... I'm keeping that still). I'll sell the incomplete 2nd copy on ebay later... all that matters is I now - finally - have a complete copy. That is the first version of Monkey Island I owned way back in 1991. I had so much fun with Ducktales Quest for Gold and the Rocketeer too mind you! In fact - while I was stuck on a certain level of the rocketeer I asked mum how to spell "rescue" so I could guess that as the next level name - it worked, it's the level name for the last level of the game. And written in pen on the original manual is "rescue" since she wrote it there for me. Ahhh... you just can't get rid of memories like those. I mean what if that wasn't the name of a level? There would have been NO reason for it to be penned in it would have defaced the manual without meaning!

There are WAY too many pages in the hintbook.

I used to have a 2nd Monkey2 one that didn't use the read reader (it was almost identical in every other way - it was without a doubt an official release but a budget one!)

^^^

Looks to me like there's a glare on the disc which makes it look white.

EDIT:

And... now... finally, I have a *complete* copy of Classic Tales on its way to me:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290326087833

Holy ****! Seven disks! The version I have (3.5) is only four disks! When you get that, check the disks to see what's on them because I can't imagine what is on the extra three disks.

Holy ****! Seven disks! The version I have (3.5) is only four disks! When you get that' date=' check the disks to see what's on them because I can't imagine what is on the extra three disks.[/quote']LOL. It is a rare version, but there's nothing extra. The game is playable off the 7 disks, here's a complete copy:

mi1vga7.png

Oh and it's version 1.1:

mi111.png

There also exists the 4-disk version... and the 8 5 1/4" version. And the KIXX release is on 3 disks (by the magic of compression - and you can't play the game off the disks - once installed it's the standard 4-disk version).

Back when I played this on the old 286 I used to play it off the floppies, so I suppose one less floppy was an advantage. Then again, they could have just used high density disks and gone with 4?

Gilbert once tried to tell me that the difference was the statue in the voodo-lady's place... but it's not, that wasn't changed until the CD-ROM version (at least on PC) - have a look over at grumpygamer.com, he makes a reference to this as his "third" legal lesson in making MI1. I don't know what the difference was, but it is in there somewhere. Both the 4-disk and 8-disk versions are version 1.0. From the date stamp it was compiled roughly two months after the 1.0 versions... and besides the classic tales compilation - I don't know of it being used in any other release.

Nup, as you'll see in this photo the release contains both DD and HD 3.5" disks. And in the manual itself it contains a copy of the quick-start card, but with a problem. The first page is off the EGA version and the second is off the VGA version. Besides the other (relativly minor) errors this introduces, as it is the standard card it reads that the game should contain 'Eight 5 1/4" disks or four 3.5" disks'.

Anyway the copy I bought really is in "as new" condition:

classicspreadsml.jpg

The seller has another one:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290327987637

And if people aren't going to bid on it I may well buy it up for myself as well! After all 4 copies are better than 2...

Archived