Home

FYI: KOTOR In Windows 7.

Used to have 2GB actually, but one of my RAM slots got blown. Installed the NVIDIA drivers provided by WinUpdate.

Those are updated WDM drivers and have limited functionality(esp as far as gaming ie concerned!)

You should at least try the official nvidia drivers I have linkied to above :)

good luck!

nVidia GTS 250 512 MB DDR3
>> which driver version are you running ?? If you dont have the newest drivers from nvidia... plz see above ;)

Also, are you running the disc version of the game ?

I've heard that the latest ATI cards and drivers had mega-trouble with the KotORs.

In some aspects, ATI/AMD has been really lagging behind with their W7 driver support. I say this specifically referencing the more advanced functionalities which I encounter htpc users compalining about.

Team green has them throughly beat in that respect. You can chuck as much GDDR5 on it as you want - if the drivers are shyte, theres no point :( Silly AMD

That being said, Im glad things are working for our man stinger ;)

edit: folks have been asking me for a K1 screenie (suggesting I am not trustworthy?! :p) I'll pop back later with one or three

mtfbwya

Don't think it's that, though, because I tried with 1.00 and 1.03 versions of the game...

Securom issues have been identified by many users as problemtic. Have you tried it with the game disc?

I quickly jumped in to do a quick K1 screenie. Will havea more thorough play and get some later screenies in the next couple of days

One thing I must mention >> those with jerky movie playback in Vista/W7 should instal the updated version of the Bink video compressor (Rad Video Tools). The K1/2 install discs obviously would not have this.

Download RAD Vt

All in all, both K1 and K2 are running beautifully, Im quite happy to do a fraps vidcap if anyone is still having difficulty believing it ;)

nb.I had to edit kotor.ini to get windowed mode working in K1

k1.jpg

mtfbwya

granted, i'm getting well over 60 FPS regardless of compatibility mode active or not (measured with FRAPS)

Damn, even in the Upper City North? It likes to drop to 40's for me there (XP or 7). I always blamed Aurora engine for that, since Crysis can run better. :D

Figured I'll add my :twocents:.

Tested K1 and TSL on both Win7 x86 and x64. Worked fine on both fullscreen and windowed. No fixes or compatibility modes required to install or play, except for running them as an administrator. I installed K1 from the Best of PC set (pre-patched to 1.03) and TSL from retail disks (manual patch to 1.0b).

System specs (no overclocking):

- Win7 RC x86 and x64

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50GHz

- 4GB RAM DDR2 800MHz

- EVGA GeForce GTS 250 512MB GDDR3

- NVIDIA GeForce 186.18 Drivers

Performance was excellent with all settings maxed out and VSync turned off. Framerate from FRAPS was anywhere from 60 up to 150.

- Star Admiral

So I tried to install KOTOR II on Windows 7 today and unfortunately, I'm getting an error that nobody else seems to. When I launch the game, I get the following error message:

"Please remove disc from current CD/DVD drive and insert the original disk in another drive?:."

The trouble is that I have the original disk in the drive. I do not have a no-cd patch (the only patch I installed was the 1.0b which I ran right after I installed the game). This happens both without compatibility mode and with compatibility mode. I never had this problem with my XP install. So what gives? Why the heck does it think I'm trying to be a pirate?!

You may want to find yourself a NO-CD exe. It's the only way to play KOTOR's these days (you can't get widescreen to work without one, for example). LA should've removed the check a long time ago, but they're not exactly know for taking good care of their costumers. :D So, we really have no choice but to help ourselves.

Damn, even in the Upper City North? It likes to drop to 40's for me there (XP or 7). I always blamed Aurora engine for that, since Crysis can run better. :D
can't say for sure about that one. when i benchmark KotOR, i have two gamesaves that loads the two most demanding sections: Dantooine (outside the Jedi Temple) and Manaan. from there, i use FRAPS to log my FPS, and then i'll take the average of both sections combined.

Upper City North is OK here. Fraps clocks it at a steady 60 FPS, which is exactly what I expect because that it what Hz my monitor is set at, as well as the output freq in KOTOR screen rez settings.

Ive been playing around with different configs in KOTOR1...I actually tried running K1 with a no-dvd patch and got crashes :(

@Thunderforge >> just some fact finding:

*Did you install the game in compat mode

*Are you working on a fresh install of W7 or an upgrade install

*Did you have a no-dvd patch previously that may be sitting in the same directory?

*How did the game work previous to the 1.0b patch?

*Did you install the patch in compat mode?

I think its amazing how there are so many varying results!

mtfbwya

Upper City North is OK here. Fraps clocks it at a steady 60 FPS, which is exactly what I expect because that it what Hz my monitor is set at, as well as the output freq in KOTOR screen rez settings.

Oh well, I guess my lower FPS are related to something else then. It could be my widescreen patch or anything else of the sort. All I know is that FPS remain the same no matter what settings I change in the graphic options; so I would say it's most definitely not related to my graphic card. Perhaps new hardware and old sofware don't go along together very well. :D

No matter, the game's very playable and that's all I care about.

Ive been playing around with different configs in KOTOR1...I actually tried running K1 with a no-dvd patch and got crashes :(

What sort of crashes are you getting? Do you have any patches installed? I believe they're needed.

What sort of crashes are you getting? Do you have any patches installed? I believe they're needed.

Why do you believe this? All those patches were created for XP/Vista. As much as W7 is based on Vista, things like securom and directX have been updated/changed so that assumption may not apply for Win7.

The point of my report above was to prove that a basic K1 with original discs WORKS. If you are applying patches it is done at your own risk.

Whilst I hope it works - if you ask for assistance when it doesnt, there's not really much anyone outside the author of that patch can offer.

To reiterate:

For me, its working super under the above hardware conditions > original disc > no patches ; when I applied a no-dvd patch(deviance) it kept crashing - in fact I couldnt get past the bit near the start where you are on your own for the first time and enable that combat droid. It kept crashing there for some reason. I removed the no dvd thingy and restored the original exe and it was able to continue. Im at lower city levels now on Telos - just walked into the Cantina ;)

I know its handy to have the patches etc, but Im just trying to find a set of condistiosn that makes teh game actually work properly and report it to fellow KOTOR fans who may be contemplating W7

Im going to try to play further through a few more hours to see if I get any further issues and report back.

mtfbwya

I think that SpaceAlex may be inferring that your cracked .exe may be written for the patched version of the game, which is why it is causing your unpatched game to crash. ;)

lolz... I wouldnt be carrying on about 'no patches' in bold type, and then forgotten to notice that :D I can assure you, the 'game fix' deployed was for the appropriate version number. I daresay the game would'nt have launched at all if that were the case

mtfbwya

Nah, what I meant was that there could be a bug in the 1.0 NO-CD exe (which would mean the game would also crash on XP), and that the only version that works is 1.03.

Most of those patches were written for xp, sio the problems are more likely to arise in vista/W7.

To more thoroughly determine 'which patch works' you'd need a group of kotor players to test the different available patches in vista/W7 across the different game and OS versions.

mtfbwya

Most of those patches were written for xp, sio the problems are more likely to arise in vista/W7.

To more thoroughly determine 'which patch works' you'd need a group of kotor players to test the different available patches in vista/W7 across the different game and OS versions.

Oh well, works fine here with the patches and NO-CD exe applied. I basically installed the game and then just copied everything from XP disc to 7 disc. The only problems I had had were the movies minimizing the game, and sometimes even freezing it (possibly, my widescreen patch was to blame); I was able to fix that, as mentioned in on of my previous posts.

Oh well, works fine here with the patches and NO-CD exe applied. I basically installed the game and then just copied everything from XP disc to 7 disc. The only problems I had had were the movies minimizing the game, and sometimes even freezing it (possibly, my widescreen patch was to blame); I was able to fix that, as mentioned in on of my previous posts.

glad to hear its working ;)

Removing the widescreen patch and observing if the problem is reproduced will give you a definite answer on that ;)

mtfbwya

Archived