Home

Which Shader/Effect?

Trench

Greetings, I am attempting to reskin HK-47 (TSL) in a way that will make his eyes glow. I have two questions:

1. What shader/effect/.TXI should I use?

2. How would I properly get his eyes to glow without the rest of him glowing as well?

I'm hoping to use the CM_Baremetal on the rest of him, but if that's not possible I would be willing to scrap it.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks.

~Te Mirdala Mand'alor

As far as I've tested, most textures will only accept one shader, not two(either specified by the appearance.2da or a txi file). Technically, his eyes glow anyway when he speaks, but it isn't the kind of glow you're likely after. At least not the sort that c3po would have, if his eyes dimmed or brightened as he spoke.

I'm not sure if you can use it, but I saw animated pictures as skyboxes, so maybe you can create an animated gif file or something for HK.

Unfortunately, the most we can do with animating a texture is make something change ever so slightly. Tutorial

Those animated skyboxes you saw were probably due to the above technique applied to the skybox, or maybe Quanon made some planes that had an animated texture on them, with everything but the ships and the blaster shots transparent. (I'm guessing you are referring to the Battle on Mandalore's ship in BOS: SR :p)

Ah well. I guess I'll have to settle with what I've got:p.

Edit--

I've decided to go with the plain baremetal, but when I test it out in-game it just looks plain.:help:

I can't figure out how to get it right. I think I set up the .TXI file correctly, but I'm lost.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

~Te Mirdala Mand'alor

I've decided to go with the plain baremetal, but when I test it out in-game it just looks plain.:help:

I can't figure out how to get it right. I think I set up the .TXI file correctly, but I'm lost.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

~Te Mirdala Mand'alor

Did you add an alpha channel to the texture? The Hk textures in TSL don't have the CM_Baremetal shader effect in the vanilla version of the game, unlike KOTOR.

Thanks' date=' but unfortunately I use GIMP:([/quote']

That's what I use, at least when alpha channels are needed. To add the channel, either right click the layer and click "Add Alpha Channel"(allows transparency in the layer), or look for the same under "Color" with the layer selected. Then use the "Color to Alpha" tool under color to get the transparency.

The alpha channel is the same thing you add when you make pictures with transparent background. Just with a hint of color still. In the eraser you change the opacity or something like that to about 7 then erase the section you was to be shiny.

Okay, I've dumped the CM_Baremetal in favor of the CM_Bright to make his eyes glow. I'm using a new color scheme that looks okay when non-shiny.

How would I get the CM_Bright shader to make the eyes glow? Same as with the CM_Baremetal, or something different?

Okay, I've dumped the CM_Baremetal in favor of the CM_Bright to make his eyes glow. I'm using a new color scheme that looks okay when non-shiny.

How would I get the CM_Bright shader to make the eyes glow? Same as with the CM_Baremetal, or something different?

I tried putting CM_Bright onto my Dopak head, and I guess I had the alpha channel too light, as the eyes ended up turning more silvery-white. I didn't want to keep trying everything to get the eyes to have a realistic glow, and my experiments in the past with an edited CM_Bright shader didn't have my expected results. (but I had the desired result for the model) If you have seen my Halo mod, you'll see in the screenshot that it it almost pure yellow with a light outer glow. If you notice the second screenie that has the render, the actual texture has a little more detail than pure yellow and an outer glow. I ended up using all black in my alpha channel to get the desired effect.

So, if you want your eyes to glow with CM_Bright, it'd either turn silvery-white with a blue outer glow, or blue with a blue outer glow, but you'd have to make your alpha channel (or rather, the area) pretty dark.

As for CM_Baremetal, all it would do is make your eyes kinda shiny (which is something the current eye models lack... but I think the baremetal effect is a bit too much for an eye.)

And remember to make your .txi files!

So it'll turn dark spots into bright spots? Or just the transparent areas? Excuse my n00bish ignorance' date=' my train of thought seems to have derailed today.[/quote']

No, it'll turn the entire thing bright with an outer glow, depending on how dark you make the alpha channel.

Quanon made some planes that had an animated texture on them, with everything but the ships and the blaster shots transparent. (I'm guessing you are referring to the Battle on Mandalore's ship in BOS: SR :p)

Indeed I did for those laser blasts.

You could open my TGA of that "effect".

Its nothing more then a few rows of those shots.

Texturing animation is very premitieve. If you want a smooth anim, you need lots of frames, but then you get a very very large texture.

And that isn't very handy to work with, nor does the engine love it either.:indif:

Archived