Home

Should I "fake it till I make it?"

Tysyacha

So I have an offer for a job interview. Yay! It's for a Youth Leadership Coordinator at a Center for Independent Living (CIL) that helps people with disabilities such as myself fight for their rights and be fully included in their communities. The job entails 3 aspects, explained by the title:

YOUTH--I'd be talking to school-age kids and teenagers a lot, helping them to develop their leadership skills and potential. I'm really good at that!

LEADERSHIP--I'd be doing leadership trainings and helping others to take part in leadership and civil rights initiatives. I'm really good at that!

COORDINATOR--I'd be organizing and coordinating a lot of events.

I suck at that. I know I suck at that. I suck at that worse than I do at chess.

This could be the chance of a lifetime, even though I would have to move. I have a heart for all people, with and without disabilities, and I want to give youth a head start on developing their leadership experience and potential.

"Two out of three ain't bad", I know, but that third one is a pretty big one.

Should I take the interview, knowing my Achilles' heel? If I do, should I try to "fake it till I make it" and downplay the fact that I haven't organized ANYTHING ALL BY MYSELF except my sock drawer? My stomach's all tied up in knots. I almost put "nots"--knowing that I'm NOT good at coordinating.

If I got this job, I would be totally thrilled, but I don't want to lie to get it.

HELP!

Tysyacha

Wow, I think it's great you want to help others, it'll always be a hard road with lots of tests against your morale. I think you should go for it but be confident in your ability to overcome the unknown. Your first job that describes event planning is pretty scary to think about, but like most jobs the complexity ends with the title. If you really love helping people live a happy life it's easy to have a good idea where to start, just ask what would make them happy. :)

I'm working on my schoolwork for a doctorate so I can open clinics in the middle and far east. Not entirely my career plan, but I'd like to set up something that works properly. My eventual goal is to purchase a large enough lot of land to open the largest open-exhibit zoo/animal sanctuary, where I can run summer retreat programs for people who need a second chance at a good life, be they recovered ilnesses or victims of a violent culture on both sides.

Just remember to be honest, if you got the job sleezily you'd probably question the legitimacy of the quality of work. Hell, I'm going into the marines and they'll be paying for my education. It's the things we're willing to sacrifice that determine what kind of people we are. I'm sure you'll make the right choice, you will always have it each day to make again.

Respect is universal.

Agree with Jeff. The coordination aspect is mostly a description of experience so what you do in the meantime is just apply your ability to coordinate other things in your life.

You can think of a group activity for a day trip can't you?

Give a headcount of who will be attending?

Make a telephone booking?

Organise transport, whether public or private?

Advise participants of any costs?

There you go, you're an organiser.

What you do is take the interview and simply ask if there will be other coordinators so you can follow their lead and pick it up. You should mention you're inexperienced, but eager and capable, and good for the position.

They do need to know you may need a little training. It is a possibility they were looking for someone with previous experience, but it should've been mentioned in the job description, so that suggests they're willing to train or that you'll be working with more experienced coordinators who can train you on the job.

Good luck!

Well, first and foremost you actually care. That is big. I doubt your inexperience necessarily means suckiness.

Even as disorganized as I am, often times I am still looked to as a leader if for no other reason than morale but more likely because I know how team work *works*, as opposed to some douche nozzle who comes in thinking he'll revolutionize the world and gets all power trip on everyone. While I still needed planners and organizers, it seemed in school, as though I could take any "delinquent" individual and relate to him/her enough to get them to do their part. Though I hate it when sword play asks me to do a play with them and they leave me a week to work with (or less considering their members are hard to work with and bicker *all the time*).

Point being, you don't necessarily need to be the perfect organizer to be a good leader.

I wish you all the best.

Archived