Home

Napoleon: Total War

Astor

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Steam has relented! I've managed to install (and download a small update) - haven't had a chance to play yet (and I probably won't get to play properly till tomorrow afternoon), but I did quickly jump into a Custom Battle - and it looks great!

So it's been out for a few days now (a week in North America, in fact), and although I haven't had as much time to play as I would've liked, I've been immensely enjoying N:TW so far, whether it's as i'm trekking across Egypt for the Glory of the Republic, holding off a French advance on Moscow, or ruling the waves as Great Britain.

And I hope that this time i'm not premature in saying that the community response has been far better than Empire (apart from the sticklers for accuracy complaining that the Belgic Shako worn by the British was only introduced after 1812, or that Spanish infantry should actually be in blue, or something that doesn't actually affect gameplay) - although Napoleon has a few bugs, I don't think they're anywhere as near as catastrophic as the ones that plagued Empire.

I haven't tried the drop-in battles myself yet, but i've heard that they are a welcome addition, and more than make up for the AI's shortcomings.

What's been the experience of anyone else who's bought the game? Good? Bad?

• 1 month later...

I'm downloading the demo to see if the wacky quad-core XP (that does not like KOTOR) will be nice to this game. I really wish I had purchased a dual-core for gaming...........

I'll check back with my impressions of the game.

~A Short Time Later~

I like it! I never played any of the other Total War games, so I don't know how it compares, but I foresee many hours of entertainment just learning the demo.

I've really enjoyed it - the AI is a lot better, in that it actually uses the advantages of its units rather than just throwing them in a body at your lines...though Generals seem to like death-or-glory charges still...

The 'Liberate' option is an excellent addition, I think. Feels far more accurate to march across Europe liberating the little German states, Belgium and the Netherlands rather than destroying the French Empire by replacing it with a bigger British/Prussian/Austrian/Russian Empire.

One thing though: 'WHERE ARE MY EAGLES??'[/brian Blessed]

Archived