Home

Halp, fellow PC hardware gaming geeks!

RpTheHotrod

I'm looking for a good 800+ watt power supply unit that has good amps on the 12V.

I got a Radeon 5850 and my 610 just won't cut it.

I'm looking for something local, like http://www.frys.com or http://www.bestbuy.com

Also, can someone explain exactly how the whole rail system works? I know I want amps on the 12V (but I don't know why), and how would I properly set up that power supply on my system?

What is the rest of the spec? And what make is the current PSU? I would be surprised if you need 800...

This one would be good if you do.

Oh and a budget is useful. ;)

EDIT: Just to explain why I don't think you need 800, I have a Core i7 920, a GTX275 and a 8800GT for Physics as well as three hard disks, wifi, TV card all on a 650W Antec with no trouble at all.

Current: Getting 5850 tho

MOBO: NForce 780i SLI

Time of this report: 1/29/2010, 17:00:32

Machine name: KERAFYRM-RP

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: NVIDIA

System Model: 132-CK-NF78

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM

Page File: 2042MB used, 6145MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode

First off I recommend NOT buying from a local place like best buy, since generally all their "computer upgrades" (read: parts)tend to be overpriced up to about 50 bucks over. For example, I bought a 89.99 1tb hard drive from western digital from a local computer hardware store; the same hard drive was 139.99 at best buy... and theres no way in hell i'm paying 50 more bucks for a shiny box with a picture on it.

As for power supplies I totally recommend thermaltake's toughpower line. I've had a 700 watt version for about 2 and half years now, running a massively overclocked desktop without any hiccups whatsoever (its also survived about 4 power outages..)

Specs are similar to you sort of:

Intel core 2 quad Q6600 2.4ghz, overclocked to 3.42ghz (core voltage upped to about 1.440)

6gb pc-8500 RAM (voltage upped to 2.3v)

BFG Geforce GTX 280 OC (im not sure how much extra power the oc'ing needs but..i could fry an egg on it)

2 standard SATA drives, cd drive

Coolermaster V8 CPU cooler

3x 230mm case fans + 2 140mm case fans.

never a single issue with power. The best part is the thing is modular, so you don't have a ton of extra cables dangling in your case getting in the way of everything. Also I don't think you'll need 800 watts either unless ATI cards mysteriously require a ton of power.

as for your other question, what exactly are you asking? what do you mean by rail system? all I know is that ****ty power supplies can have all the OMG WATTS in the world, and they're still ****. so don't buy a 50 dollar 23,000,000 watt power supply

All right. I got a 850 watt Thermatake. Has 69 AMPS on the 12V.

I can return if necessary, but there is something I didn't notice when I bought it. It only has 1 EPS 12V 8 pin, but it also has 2 PCI-E 6 pins. The video card I have requires x2 6 pins.

Would the video card be cool using the PCI-E, or does it require it to say 12V on the 6 pin?

When they say rails, they mean that there are separate +12v sources in the powersupply. For instance, if your power supply is supposed to be able to put out 500 watts on the 12v rails and there are 3 rails, that means each rail can push about 160 watts (13 amps per rail). This matters because if you don't balance the load on each 12v rail, then you can shorten the life of hte power supply, or your components by under-volt/under-currenting them (i.e. overloading one rail).

As far as I remember, most PS manufactures are going with single rails or automatically balanced ones, especially with the higher end systems lately. This generally means you don't have to do anything, but if your says it has 2 +12v rails, try not to put the vid card and all your harddrives on the same rail. They are usually marked or differentiated in some way, e.g. 3 +12v leads coming out of the PS with 4 connectors daisy chained (the little paper info thing pasted on the side should say too) :)

edit: so I was thinking, I should have mentioned that with multi-rail systems, you risk 'wasting' power on each rail or not being able to power say a vid card that draws more amps than one rail can provide. So while your vid card may only take 12 amps peak, if each rail supplies only 10a of current, then you're screwed. Even though the power supply can output plenty of amps combined, no one rail can supply it in this case.

naw I have a 12v 8 pin, and 2 PCI-E 6 pins (and another 2 PCI-E 6+2 pins)

I think I need to have 12V for the video card. The only 12V the PSU mentions is the single 8 pin, though.

Your video card will require 1 PCI-E 6-pin and 1 PCI-E 6+1-pin. I'm pretty sure that that 8-pin is for the motherboard.

I prefer Corsair PSUs, myself. Hope you got a good deal. :)

Your video card will require 1 PCI-E 6-pin and 1 PCI-E 6+2-pin. I'm pretty sure that that 8-pin is for the motherboard.

Yep, the 8pin 12V (normally 4+4) is for the motherboard. They are keyed so unless you force them they won't go in the wrong place anyway.

I still don't think you need 800W, the Q6600 is quite energy efficient, you are better off spending the money on a more expensive but lower wattage power supply.

Archived