Home

happy easter!!!!!!!!!!!

Muslim By practice and rite, yes.

I thought I recognised you from pilot's school PastramiX :thmbup1:

Anyway, nice to know I'm not alone in these wild lands - alekum selam.

The egg is a traditional symbol of birth. I gather that the Catholic church appropriated it to better explain the faith: Easter Sunday represents the rebirth of Christ and thus the rebirth of man

Eggs have been used in various pre-christian rituals as symbols of life/birth/harvest etc.

However - for a more direct link - Christianity, originally being a sect of Judaism, absorbed many of the symbological traditions of its parent religion. The Passover Seder feast involves a ritual feast in which an egg(Beitzah) represents a ritual sacrifice in the Temple of Jerusalem. Hence the early Christians did not have to look too far to come up with a symbol for the ritual sacrifice that this festival commemorates.

The reason why the egg is hollow is that it represents the empty tomb.

source for this? Mine was full of M&Ms :thmbup1:

I never really did understand what the Bunny has to do with the holiday... -.- bunnies are so feminine..

Get a room full of Theologians, Folklorists and Art Historians to debate this and there'd probably be a geeky knife fight :p That being said, there seems to be some consensus about a Germanic origin to the bunny side of things that evolved into the commercial symbol we know today.

Being on the side of the Art Historians in this argument (ie. artists are responsible for popularising the symbols of folklore and spiritual iconography), I submit Peter Paul Rubens 'Descent of the Cross'(1610) as prime evidence for the origin of bunny symbology. :D

rubens-descent_of_the_cross.jpg

mtfbwya

Archived