Home

K1 - Republic Camouflage Armors

Dak Drexl

Hey all,

I'm making a mod which introduces a bunch of new Republic armors into the game: camo style.

So, you as the PC will get a bunch of different styles of Republic camo armors in the beginning of the game in your locker. Also, all Republic troopers in the game will be randomly assigned the new armors to give everyone a fresh look.

The reason I'm posting a WIP thread of this is really to get feedback. I'm taking my time on this one, so please let me know how I can improve on the skins or give other suggestions for the mod.

Now, everyones favorite part... screenshots! I have the male skins done so far:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

Jungle Camo

repjunglearmor.png

Desert

repdesertcamo.png

Snow/Urban

repsnowarmor.png

Night Ops

repnightarmor.png

Dunno what to call this one. Just Republic colors (my favorite though!)

repcamo.png

Thanks!

Edit: Switching back to my browsing computer I see the "Night Ops" skin might be too dark. My PC is really bright so I'll work on that. Trust me, there's a camo pattern there :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They seem very flat in the camo areas. I think that you should still keep the highlights and shading of the original armour, just so that the areas still have some rounded volume to them. The shading also helps make it look like cloth (the highlights and shadows of cloth folds specifically), rather than smooth plastic.

Check out this tutorial for a further explanation:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=191602

Yeah, the camo areas are 100% flat. I didn't originally have it like that, but I actually thought it looked better than when they had a little texture. I'll definitely go back and add cloth folds and shading myself though now that you mention it. Thanks for the feedback RedRob! Always appreciated, especially from a skinning pro haha.

Edit: That tutorial is really helpful. I'll see how much I can apply to Gimp... should be most of it. I'm just going to re-do one and see how it matches up and then finish up the rest if its good.

Okay, after a lot of messing around, I *think* I got something that looks pretty solid.

Show spoiler
repjunglearmor2.png

I know I need to lighten up the part in the middle below the chest, but other than that:

Better, worse, or not noticably different?

Hmm, I guess that might be a problem for me. I'll try to darken it up a bit and see how that looks. Thanks for the input! Oh, and I see you got your badge :D

Edit: It wasn't too bright, the colors just got a little too saturated (which makes them bright I guess xD). This one looks kick-ass in-game. Hopefully the screen turns out okay...

Show spoiler
repjunglearmor3.png

Another thing to watch out for when using patterns like this (that get mirrored), is that they don't form weird rorschach patterns. Right now he's got a big bright splotch on his cod piece that looks kinda like a big headed angel/vampire bat :lol:

I find that when I make screen shots, they tend to always be darker than playing in-game (the game settings adjust the monitor differently than my day-to-day settings). I usually have to re-adjust the screen shot jpg's brightness (just a touch) before posting them. Still, now I'm able to see that there are cloth folds and seams, which is a good thing. Keep at it :D

Thanks RedRob. It's funny you should mention the rorschach patters, was thinking the same thing earlier. So, after messing around a bit and with help and reccomendations from Canderis, I got something that I really like. I went "less is more" on the focal point, the colored camo. So, tell me what you think.

Show spoiler
repjunglearmor5.png

(Lightened up the screen a bit)

Wouldn't a better name for a Night Ops variant be Black Ops?

Btw, i like what i see in the newer screenies. Will there be a variant without the helmet?

The way i see it you need the following:

White/Grey: for snow worlds.

Blue/Grey: for water worlds.

Tan/Brown: for desert worlds.

Grey/Black: for Urban combat. The armor in your last post is pretty close, the white plate on the torsoe makes a pretty big target though.

Darth Payne, thanks for all your reccomendations.

Wouldn't a better name for a Night Ops variant be Black Ops?

Done.

Btw, i like what i see in the newer screenies. Will there be a variant without the helmet?

The variant that the PC will recieve will have no helmet. The Republic Soldiers will still have their helmets, but with a matching skin as shown in the screens.

The way i see it you need the following:

White/Grey: for snow worlds.

Blue/Grey: for water worlds.

Tan/Brown: for desert worlds.

Grey/Black: for Urban combat. The armor in your last post is pretty close, the white plate on the torsoe makes a pretty big target though.

Instead of the one I have above as an Urban/Snow combo type thing, I made two individual skins to suit two different locations:

Show spoiler

Urban

repurbancamo.png

Snow

repsnowarmor3.png

Like these or the above better? They look great in-game too. I could ditch these two and just use the first Snow/urban one but I want to hear what people think.

They both look very good.

I do like the top one best though as the torsoe plate is not such a obvious target there.

Would there be a way to add a slightly daker grey color on that plate? such as the one used on the legs?

One thing you could do is add the various skins as 'optionals' when this mod gets released.

That way everyone gets what they want.

Ok, I've decided that I'm just going to include all 3 of the variants in the mod. The reason behind this is easy, the snow/urban combo can be helpful in snowy worlds that also have urban terrain, like Rhen Var. The regions of use will be in the items description, if that makes any difference. Also that way everyone can use what armors they like.

One more:

Show spoiler

Desert

repdesertarmor2.png

Please keep feedback coming! It's really helpful.

I'm using Gimp, but I didn't make the textures myself. Just found 'em.

Edit: Don't let that dissuade you. Please tell :)

Usage of Photoshop's Cloud filter (black and white foreground/background color) followed by the threshold option and several other selection modifiers allows for the creation of shapes that are easily considered good camo 'blotches'. And since the Cloud filter is indefinitely fractal, many different types of shapes can be conjured up!

For smaller 'blotches' though, usage of the Cloud filter followed by the Sponge filter with all parameters set to "Max" can turn a sky-cloud mass into an instant camo, only with less contrast than the former option. You can experiment the combination of both techniques to create very eye-appealing camo patterns.

Using the Offset filter in the process can make the textures perfectly seamless. If you ever stumble upon someone who uses Photoshop, do give it a shot!

Example of the 'big' camo

Example of the 'small' camo

Thanks SimonK. I'm bound to get photoshop one of these days xp. I'll keep the tip in mind.

Finished the Black Ops armor... took a different approach here since it's supposed to be dark (obviously) and more camo pattern=lighter. I like how it turned out anyhow.

Show spoiler
repblackarmor.png

Hey all,

I'm making a mod which introduces a bunch of new Republic armors into the game: camo style.

So, you as the PC will get a bunch of different styles of Republic camo armors in the beginning of the game in your locker. Also, all Republic troopers in the game will be randomly assigned the new armors to give everyone a fresh look.

The reason I'm posting a WIP thread of this is really to get feedback. I'm taking my time on this one, so please let me know how I can improve on the skins or give other suggestions for the mod.

Thanks!

Looks great. I'd certainly wanna try this, but I'm not so fan about the random assignment of the armors. IMO I'd like to keep the standard Republic red-yellow armor and see these new ones on only a few soldiers, that way they will appear like some sort of special squad or kind of.

***SPOILERS*** maybe a special "camo" Republic Squad was deployed lately at Manaan? :cool: ***END SPOILERS***

hope that helps :)

Looks great. I'd certainly wanna try this, but I'm not so fan about the random assignment of the armors. IMO I'd like to keep the standard Republic red-yellow armor and see these new ones on only a few soldiers, that way they will appear like some sort of special squad or kind of.

***SPOILERS*** maybe a special "camo" Republic Squad was deployed lately at Manaan? :cool: ***END SPOILERS***

hope that helps :)

Thanks a lot! I was actually thinking of that too, how random armors could look weird. I like **Re-spoiler** The Manaan idea a lot... hmmm... **Un-re-spoiler**

Or also maybe I'll just replace the people in the officer clothing or something? That would definitely help cutting down the .utc editing too :D

Archived