Home

how long wil lit take me to learn modding

ok so i got about 5 months till i hit basic training (oct25) i ship out to it how long would it take me to learn ethier 1 or both kotors? or for better how long till i could learn full modding or at least be decent at it to help out with the ror mod anyone got an estimate? yes i can put a computer together from scratch i know the basics of coding like how for and while lopps work and some stuff about object oriented design but little like i said but i can go learn more got access to it through cbtdirect.com so how long? or should i just skip modding and learn coding c++ im on now gimme ur feedback thanks. pm me for big info.

quick answers to this please would be appreciated.

If you work constantly and figure everything out quickly you could probably do it in maybe two to three months. But a big part is to figure out the mechanics behind modding, what makes the game actually work. For example I've been modding for three years now and now that I'm proficient I was able to completely program the entire main plot of Slehayron in SOTE in less than a week. But if I were you, I'd hit the tutorials pretty hard to figure everything out.

well the game works through the coding in it right? that is the first level just about if i am correct maybe ill jsut learn coding just didnt know if modding would be a quick learn in that time i could learn C++ and java hahaha not to mention id have C from C++ hahaha after i oculd do smalltalk then modding would that be a good life setup?

If you already know a thing or two about coding, you should be able to learn quicker, because I started with absolutely no knowledge of coding or scripting and in 3 months I pretty much learned almost everything about them.

one last thing where do i start? which one the first one and go down or jsut start at the .2da or whatever one it is im looking for tsl scripting now to help with the ror mod. if i can get an answer like within the next 2 -3 hours be GREAT maybe i could get started.

Why don't you set yourself a modest goal to understand the principles at first?

How can someone help with scripting if no one knows what you want to do? Spawning an npc? Initiate a conversation when reaching a certain point?

My own suggestion: start small, understand the basic principles (basic scripting is logic, nothing more - i.e. if this npc isn't already there, then spawn it...or spawn it only if the PC is overdosing on stimpacks...whatever suits you - ...if you want more fancy things, then some math can't hurt), and then move forward. To some people it takes very little time, to some others it takes more time.

A for where to start, it depends on what you want to do...for scripting, look at the game original scripts (deduction?) as well as this thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=143390). Nothing comes without effort - though some scripting tutorials might provide "magical fomulas" depending on what you want to do.

C++ is an immense language which to become very decent in it may take a year or 2 or more. I agree with Darth333 and most people above that you should start small and check out the scripting section of holowan. If you have basic knowledge of C++ then you'll probably be good to go with the scripting in KotOR once you understand how everything works.

Archived