Home

Graphics Card Comparison/Question...

I am wanting to buy a new graphics card to better play Mass Effect 2 at 1920x1080 resolution, as this is my moniters native. I've narrowed it down to two possibilities and I was wondering which card would be better to play Mass Effect 2 at 1920x1080 resolution.

Here are the possibilities:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125288 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125271#spec.

Can somebody tell me which card will play ME2 the smoothest at 1080p resolution.

Thanks in advance,

-ZM-

Reading reviews of the 9800, they seem to hover around the 45fps mark for ME1 and just a bit lower for ME2.

That being said, even though you may set your rez at 1080p you may need to tweak some other setting if to maintain a steady fps. 1080p is a pretty demanding spec - quite often dropping to 1600x1200 and keeping visual effects high is a better looking alternative. In smooth gameplay, steady framerate is the key. Also, ME2 is an action title, and you dont want yoru specs crapping out when there is alot happening on screen. It really ruins the fun!

IIRC Char has a 9800GT, so should be able to provide some more direct advice about its performance in that game specifically.

Also, you may want to consider a 5750. For a little bit more you can have a better performing card with DX11 support, which will future proof you a bit ;)

mtfbwya

Reading reviews of the 9800, they seem to hover around the 45fps mark for ME1 and just a bit lower for ME2.

That being said, even though you may set your rez at 1080p you may need to tweak some other setting if to maintain a steady fps. 1080p is a pretty demanding spec - quite often dropping to 1600x1200 and keeping visual effects high is a better looking alternative. In smooth gameplay, steady framerate is the key. Also, ME2 is an action title, and you dont want yoru specs crapping out when there is alot happening on screen. It really ruins the fun!

IIRC Char has a 9800GT, so should be able to provide some more direct advice about its performance in that game specifically.

Also, you may want to consider a 5750. For a little bit more you can have a better performing card with DX11 support, which will future proof you a bit ;)

mtfbwya

I suppose you're right in saying that 1080p is a demanding resolution, and while my monitor does not support 1600x1200 it does support 1680x1050. I suppose that would be all right too. I'm just tired of having to play the game at 800x600 resolution to get good performance.

Unfortunately, my budget cannot afford anything above $100 not including shipping, but while I was browsing around I found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500149

Would this be better for playing at 1080p or 1680x1050?

Unfortunately, my budget cannot afford anything above $100 not including shipping, but while I was browsing around I found this:

If you really want a 9800GT, and if you can fudge the price maybe $8 - $10 you can get a 9800GT here:

Comp-U-Plus

http://www.compuplus.com/search.php?terms=9800gt&x=0&y=0

Directron

http://search.directron.us/newsearch.php?find=9800gt

I've shopped with both them for years, so you can trust them :)

I buy a lot of OEM stuff from them, but they sell boxed as well. Pretty good suppliers and decent prices when Tiger or Newegg doesn't have what you want. ;)

I also have a 9800gt in one of my spare boxes (currently folding as well). Pretty sweet card in all honesty. Especially for the price. I can see why it was "the" card a few years back.. still a little powerhouse.

If you really want a 9800GT, and if you can fudge the price maybe $8 - $10 you can get a 9800GT here:

Comp-U-Plus

http://www.compuplus.com/search.php?terms=9800gt&x=0&y=0

Directron

http://search.directron.us/newsearch.php?find=9800gt

I've shopped with both them for years, so you can trust them :)

I buy a lot of OEM stuff from them, but they sell boxed as well. Pretty good suppliers and decent prices when Tiger or Newegg doesn't have what you want. ;)

I also have a 9800gt in one of my spare boxes (currently folding as well). Pretty sweet card in all honesty. Especially for the price. I can see why it was "the" card a few years back.. still a little powerhouse.

That may be allright. I think I'll wait to see what Astrotoy7 says about the card from the link in my previous post before I make a decision.

At that res you seriously need to consider saving up about $50 more and getting a 5770 1GB. It's the best bang for the buck right now, and its power demands are pretty reasonable, since it only requires 1x6-pin PCIe power connector. Once in a blue moon it'll be available for ~$125-135 after rebate, but it's normally going to cost ~$150. The only downside is that you'd have to jump through a few hoops to get KotOR to play nice with it.

I'll keep an eye out for a deal on one if you like. :)

I tend to agree with Q - sometimes you just need to patient and get something that will do the job right.

Still, if that isn't an option - you can stick to your sub $100 budget and get a 9800 instead. It is superior to all the 9600 on all counts (core clock/shader clock/stream proc amount).

I'm a big EVGA fan myself, if you purchase on newegg, they seem to be giving free shipping and a $30 rebate on some of the cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=9800&x=0&y=0

mtfbwya

For ~$100 I'd keep an eye out for a 9800GTX+/GTS250 1GB, which is often available at that price point. It's basically the 9800GT's bigger brother (128 stream processors vs 112 + higher clocks) and would handle 1080p better.

For ~$100 I'd keep an eye out for a 9800GTX+/GTS250 1GB, which is often available at that price point. It's basically the 9800GT's bigger brother (128 stream processors vs 112 + higher clocks) and would handle 1080p better.

Are you referring to this? I was looking at this one and have been waiting for it to get back in stock for about a week. This card would be perfect if it was just in stock. I'll wait for another week for the card to get in stock and if it is not in stock by then, I'll get the 9800GT.

Yes, that's it. The GTS 250 is essentially the same card. You'll want the 1GB model to support 1080p.

I still think that a 5770 1GB would serve you better at that res for not much more $$$.

I guess it depends on which comes first, the 9800GTX getting back in stock or me getting the money to afford the better card.

Thank you everyone for all of your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd let everyone know so that the thread can be closed. I ordered this one and it came in the mail yesterday. It works great! I can play ME and ME2 at full 1080p resolutions with the highest graphics settings and still have perfect performance. I also found out that my new card allows me to play TFU Ultimate Sith Edition as well which is great because I've had it since last christmas and have not been able to play it because my graphics card was not good enough (was using a QuadroFX 1500).

So I just wanted to say thanks again and this thread can be closed if deemed necessary.

-ZM-

Nice choice Zimm :) Great price too!

Seeing you have a nvidia GPU, if you would ever like to join lucasforums folding@home team and earn yourself a unique LFN folders badge, click the droids in my siggy and find out what's involved. You can use your 9800s non gaming time to help aid research for cures for serious illnesses like cancer and Huntingtons :)

mtfbwya

Nice choice Zimm :) Great price too!

Seeing you have a nvidia GPU, if you would ever like to join lucasforums folding@home team and earn yourself a unique LFN folders badge, click the droids in my siggy and find out what's involved. You can use your 9800s non gaming time to help aid research for cures for serious illnesses like cancer and Huntingtons :)

mtfbwya

I joined. Hope it helps.

FhViewer.jpg

Archived