Home

Dungeon Siege III: Obsidian Square

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, stoffe, but it looks like Dungeon Siege III will have save points instead of being able to save whenever you want. :( They don't work in the demo, but there are unactive save points.

Lack of the ablility to save really stinks in the demo. Playing demo as Anjali again and got stuck 10 feet above the ground when switching between human and fire form. After trying everything I could think of to get back at ground level I just quit. I will not switch form again on stairs.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, having played the demo, there's not really a lot to say quite simply because there isn't anything truly special about the demo. about the only thing that remotely got me interested is that the story was starting to gain some momentum right when demo suddenly ends. other than that, the demo was just really kind of bland in every way possible.

i guess i'm waiting for the reviews, too. :carms:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, stoffe, but it looks like Dungeon Siege III will have save points instead of being able to save whenever you want. :( They don't work in the demo, but there are unactive save points.

Urgh. There really is no excuse for using checkpoint saving nowadays. Just forces you to redo a lengthy chunk of content over and over and over if you run into trouble or want to try something different, or need to stop playing for a while to do something different when not being near a checkpoint, which is just a boring waste of time. :/

But at least they can't use the "Save often and in different files" hint to work around a bug-ridden crash-prone game then... :)

got stuck 10 feet above the ground when switching between human and fire form. After trying everything I could think of to get back at ground level I just quit. I will not switch form again on stairs.

There is no flight or jumping in the game, then? Strictly 2d movement?

There is no flight or jumping in the game, then? Strictly 2d movement?

Other than Anjali hovering 2 feet above the ground in fire form, I don't remember any. There may have been some jumping animations in combat, but nothing while just walking around.

• 2 weeks later...

ouch.

...Dungeon Siege III is a dungeon crawler with a boring loot table, poorly implemented multiplayer, and little lasting incentive to continue running around the world once the tedious story ends.

Source

Granted, I wasn't really a Dungeon Siege fan in the first place, and was definitely turned off by the fact that Obsidian had their franchise-killing hands on it this round.. IGN's review was pretty much the nail in the coffin for me.

Not even a curiosity buy on my radar now.

Granted, I wasn't really a Dungeon Siege fan in the first place, and was definitely turned off by the fact that Obsidian had their franchise-killing hands on it this round.. IGN's review was pretty much the nail in the coffin for me.
Eurogamer has a different opinion, though. Not the best of games, but not a bad one, either, according to this reviewer and it gets an 8, where IGN gave 6.5:

But don't think this means that Dungeon Siege III is a brain-dead game. It's just an adaptive one. Because your character has up to 11 abilities, as well as charged versions of each of those, and each is best used in a slightly different scenario, trying to play Dungeon Siege III perfectly is a totally absorbing dance of glossy particle effects, small victories and even smaller failures.

Not a game worth the full retail price, me thinks, but I may buy it eventually to see how it plays. It's been some time since I played an Obsidian game, I miss them. :(

yeah, Gamespot's review wasn't a whole lot nicer. in short, if you like loot, play this game. if you care about *anything* else in your RPG experience, you can skip this one and be better off for it. ;)

seems to be an interesting trend that Obsidian has going for itself now: release a good game, then a mediocre one. rinse, and repeat.

me thinks that Obsidian would be better off if they would just focus on one product at a time. you can make money off of lots of mediocre stuff, but you'll make more money by producing an amazing product that everyone wants to play. least ways, that's how i see it. ;)

in short, if you like loot, play this game. if you care about *anything* else in your RPG experience, you can skip this one and be better off for it. ;)

Truckloads of loot and beautiful environments was pretty much all that the original Dungeon Siege had as well. So in that respect they're staying true to the original at least, I guess. :)

*Puts on fanboy hat*

I played for about 8 hours last night and made it to level 10.

Pros:

Despite reviews to the contrary, the story has been engaging, at least thus far. I cannot tell to what degree the plot varies depending on which character you choose at start up, therefore it's entirely possible that the Lucas path is a lot more emotionally salient than say, Anjali's. It's been years since I've played DS2 and the expansion, but I do recall that the franchise has a history of weaving lore into the environment and Obsidian definitely continues that tradition.

Combat is challenging. Even on normal mode. No getting around the fact that the game is a button-masher, but it's not a mindless button-masher. Blocking, dodging, changing stances, and using special attacks are all critical to survival and the odds of doing so seem to be directly related to how quickly you can learn to do those things effectively. Expect to die a lot in boss fights.

A lot of loot. Seriously.

Choice and consequence, influence, and deeds (aka perks) - Decided to spare a boss last night. She looked at me like I was stupid and said, "Are you ****Ing crazy? My boss is going to send TWO of me next time". But then I got a pretty cutscene suggesting that showing mercy might also pay dividends. Got a perk - sorry Deed for helping somone that helped me earlier, but also have the suspicion that I'm going to get screwed over for that choice.

Companion AI is not a source of extreme frustration for once. Heals me when I fall. Changes stances on her own to be more effective. Picks up coins so that I don't have to.

Cons:

The dialog, while well written, is delivered rather woodenly. FWIW, I think this is intentional, but still.

The game manual is 5 pages. I eventually figured out that a lot of the info I was looking for could be found in the Lore menu, but something in the manual directing me to the Lore menu would've been nice. On the same note, there are some important things, like ressurecting companions, that don't get any mention (so far as I can tell) but really should.

A lot of loot. Seriously. And the naming convention kinda sucks. For example if you have Awesome Boots and then later find another pair of Awesome Boots, you can't assume that it's the same item. Both pairs of boots modify the same stats, hence the same name, however the pair you just picked up may be significantly stronger or even weaker than the pair you have. This translates into an almost mandatory trip to the inventory screen everytime you find something cool...which is about once every 30 seconds.

Isometric is cool when the graphics suck. Frustrating as heck when they don't. They obviously put a lot of detail into the creatures and enemies. Too bad I never get a chance to examine them.

Other thoughts:

Obviously there is still lots of room for things to go sideways, but thus far the story has been great. I have a few ideas about certain people and events and I look forward to seeing how things pan out.

The lack of loading screens is nice.

No crashes or freezing. The game is incredibly stable and smooth.

Low-level baddies go from being a serious challenge to a cheap, plentiful source of XP in only a couple of levels. Skirmishes at level 4 gave me a run for my money. I hit a group of five guys with one round of super blade kill thingy at level 6 and express surprise if any are still alive when I turn around to go back to where my companion is waiting. On the flip-side, FINALLY managed to kill a particular boss on my fourth try, only to find out that the fight wasn't over. Bosses continue to be a challenge and as I said to a friend, "if this is normal, then hardcore can go **** itself".

I will add more as I progress.

Nice information, but did you purposely leave out the one bit of information holding be back from buying Dungeon Siege III? Were those really save points in the demo or can you save whenever you want? :xp:

Not that it matters, I'll download in when I get home tonight. :D ***Better not be another Alpha Protocol mistake*** :D

Save points, but they are copious.

Two things though:

1) There was at least one situation where the pre-fight save point was too close to the actual fight area :(

2) Bad guys that hang out near save points that are dead before you save are sometimes alive when you reload (did I mention that you die a lot?). Good news is that they sometime drop fun things and they are always low-level.

Well I played last night for about 6 hours reaching level 9. :xp:

Thanks to Achilles I ended up getting Dungeon Siege III on the 360 instead of the PC. Originally the demo seemed dull and boring on the PC, but first off the level system was tweaked in the demo to show more powers/skills. So the battles in game were not an easy button-masher as the demo made it appear. You have to be a strategic button-masher to survive. The final boss battle in the demo was a real pain in the actual game.

I’m going to take some exception to Achilles writing that the dialog is well written. It has been interesting so far, but when Katarina (one of the playable characters) was given a quest to rescue someone and the last thing the quest giver says to her was something like “once you kill the bad person don’t forget to set the good guy free” that is just lazy writing. Isn’t the point of a rescue quest to rescue the person? I mean why tell Katarina that? If the quest giver happens to think the playable character is that stupid why give her the quest at all.

Overall I do not believe the writing is bad. The voice acting on the other hand is terrible. Agree with Achilles on this one. I think it is on purpose. My only problem with that is why make the playable character’s voice just as monotone. Also I didn’t know Katarina was Orlesian. :xp:

Besides the boss fight in the cave, before getting a companion, the save points have not really been a issue. The save points are plentiful and not really needed when your companion has the power and the AI to heal the playable character.

So far, I’m very happy with my purchase. Spent 6 hours on it last night and even woke up an hour early this morning to spend an hour on it. Beside the dialog system, the game really reminds me of Fable 2, especially the combat system. I also get a little Jade Empire feel to the story as I don’t believe everyone is telling my Katarina the entire story.

Isn’t the point of a rescue quest to rescue the person? I mean why tell Katarina that?
Chauvinism?

Made it to level 22 last night.

Achieved mastery with one of my abilities, which is cool, except that using empowered abilities drains power rather than focus. And not just one orb like healing, but all of it. :(

Kudos to Obsidian for not making the abilities god-like, but I did get a little frustrated when I realized that one flavor of pain-in-the-ass bad guy seems to be immune to one of the abilities that I've come to rely on (pro-tip: if they have a shield, they can block).

Also, "tricks" that can be used for some boss fights are intentionally discouraged in others. Dodge is essential for survival, but I don't think it's a spoiler to say that it's nigh impossible to dodge effectively in a mine shaft.

Speaking of that particular fight, I'm still trying to decide how I feel about the "oh, you have a sword and shield? No ranged attacks? That's too bad. The next 30-45 minutes is really going to suck for you" fight that they threw at me. On one hand I had a kind of grudging admiration that I was being forced to change my tactics. On the other hand, twice I had that particular bad guy on the verge of being dead only to blink and have both party members (my companion and I) wiped out, largely because my melee guy was useless, which sucked.

At this rate, I should be finished tonight (the level cap appears to 30 and I can't imagine that they would let the game go on for too long after that cap has been reached). This would put game play at less than 30 hours and I've been doing all (but one :( ) of the side quests.

On one hand I had a kind of grudging admiration that I was being forced to change my tactics.

Why no mention of my run around in circles "tactic"?! :)

I'm going to laugh when you hit level 30 and you're only half way through the game... although I'm doing all the side quests too so we'll see how it goes. Which side quest did you not do?

Also, I'm curious how your influence with people impacts the end game, and also decisions you've made previously come into play...

EDIT... P.S. - Shouldn't you be working? You don't have a smartphone... if you had a smartphone you could be in the forums 24/7 :)

Why no mention of my run around in circles "tactic"?! :)
I'll try that when I get to the boss fight for the penguin level.

I'm going to laugh when you hit level 30 and you're only half way through the game... although I'm doing all the side quests too so we'll see how it goes. Which side quest did you not do?
I was supposed to destroy an enemy camp on the side of a mountain and thought I was on my way to do so, but inadvertently progressed another quest to the point that I became cut off from that one. Instant failed side quest :(

By the time I realized what had happened, I'd already leveled up 3 times so I wasn't about to go back.

EDIT... P.S. - Shouldn't you be working? You don't have a smartphone... if you had a smartphone you could be in the forums 24/7 :)
Aren't you suppose to be at corporate training? And I'll get a smartphone right after I get facebook. :)

I'll try that when I get to the boss fight for the penguin level.

Don't hate!! My tactic rocks... beat Rajani (or whatever her name is) on the first try!

I was supposed to destroy an enemy camp on the side of a mountain and thought I was on my way to do so, but inadvertently progressed another quest to the point that I became cut off from that one. Instant failed side quest :(

By the time I realized what had happened, I'd already leveled up 3 times so I wasn't about to go back.

Doh!! I'll be sure to keep an eye on that. Ohh, and i found out last night how to get hints on where to go for quests instead of wandering aimlessly, I was happy!!! :thmbup1:

Aren't you suppose to be at corporate training? And I'll get a smartphone right after I get facebook. :)

Who said I'm not at corporate training? :) And I'm holding you to the FB = Smart Phone deal... hope you know what you got yourself into...

beat Rajani (or whatever her name is) on the first try![/Quote] I did, and I also used the run around in circle tactic to achieve it.

Doh!! I'll be sure to keep an eye on that. Ohh, and i found out last night how to get hints on where to go for quests instead of wandering aimlessly, I was happy!!! :thmbup1:[/Quote] The Fable II-esque glowing trail?

I did, and I also used the run around in circle tactic to achieve it.

The Fable II-esque glowing trail?

Nice!! Achilles doesn't appreciate the "simpler" tactics, but they are effective!

Yes the glowing trail, although I never played Fable 2. It did remind me of the trail in WOW though, granted I haven't played that in years.

That is one thing I do like, it does seem like everyone has their own specific gear which is relatively easy to find. Curious what some of the higher end stuff is like.

Also, I'm a fan of the deeds too. Wonder if there is a complete list of those listed somewhere...

Archived