Home

Intro still in MI2LRSE

Monkey Mania

On consoles (but not on Steam, for some reason) the monkeys appear right at the start and do their dance. They're then ushered off the screen by the gold guy, and it becomes the LucasArts logo. You can see it here:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Although, you're right - there does seem to be more frames in the sprite :-/

I wonder if they recorded Guybrush's lines for the intro? Without the voices and the sprites for Guybrush the intro would be pretty hard to recreate well enough. Of course, the pictures should also be redone for the SE intro. I shouldn't underestimate the power of the fans but all this sounds like a slightly impossible task.

How did you extract those sprites btw? I tried using the MI:SE extractor but it didn't work.

Works fine for me, are you using version 0.3?

The files that needs to be redone is the following:

costumes\images\162_opening-credit-guybrush

rooms\images\103_open-cred

Ah I found the problem, I was using extractpack, another program for extracting stuff from MI:SE, which doesn't work with MI2:SE.

So I downloaded the MI Explorer and it works fine with that.

I think I'm gonna give the drawings a go. Btw I also found some more dancing monkey sprites; named "costuumes/images/161_monkey_dance_skin/costumes_a08.dtx"

On consoles (but not on Steam, for some reason) the monkeys appear right at the start and do their dance. They're then ushered off the screen by the gold guy, and it becomes the LucasArts logo. You can see it here:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Although, you're right - there does seem to be more frames in the sprite :-/

Dang, that video is blocked in the States. Any alternate links?

I found the cavas pictures but they're not redrawn, they're the old sprites (which seems unnecessary because those frames are already in the original game files, unless they had to recode it completely). They may have been going a similar route where SMI:SE started out in classic mode and then switched to SE mode for the intro. Except in MI2:SE they just keep the canvases in classic mode and everything else in SE mode? Just guessing...

I found the cavas pictures but they're not redrawn, they're the old sprites (which seems unnecessary because those frames are already in the original game files, unless they had to recode it completely). They may have been going a similar route where SMI:SE started out in classic mode and then switched to SE mode for the intro. Except in MI2:SE they just keep the canvases in classic mode and everything else in SE mode? Just guessing...

You might be right. If that were the intention maybe some would find it jarring, but I'd personally be okay with that.

I just had this beautiful vision of an alternate monkey dance intro :D The remade monkeys come out and start dancing, classic Guybrush come out an shoos them but they ignore it so he morphs into the golden guy and starts shooting force lightning in the air :D!! The monkeys run off in terror hehe :D

It actually could be done with existing art and sounds if anyone had the inclination. The gold guy lightning could be ripped from STFU or one of the various trailers and the monkey screams could be taken from any number of sourced (the monkeys are listening from CMI comes to mind)

Gave me a chuckle, thought id share :)

Archived