Home

Features you don't like in games

mur'phon

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like story inconsistencies.

Like having Templars (who hunt apostate mages) hire the PC (an apostate mage who they just saw casting a giant fireball in front of them) to kill apostates mages.

Or be an old man yourself while your childhood friend still looks like she's 20..I blame you, Fable!

Or be an old man yourself while your childhood friend still looks like she's 20..I blame you, Fable!

I liked the fact that we aged in Fable, or I suppose it would be better to say that it was a nice idea. The problem that I had with it was that the NPCs didn't age other than during the opening tutorial stuff.

They didn't really sell the sense of time, either. Other than when you're captured and the narrator tells you so. It seems like everything happens over a few days, yet you're all of a sudden an old man.

But you know, Whisper didn't really bother me so much as

reuniting with my Mother and she looks about 50, but I look about 80.

Yea...

• 9 months later...

Been awhile, but I've just thought of something.

Partly the "Cut-scene Incompetence" trope, and whatever term applies to the same thing happening in the story and game-play itself.. Say you have a main character that can trump every enemy in the game, with no contest. Then the game introduces someone or something(s) that can one-shot the main character. which is not only damn near impossible to avoid, and when it does happen, that is either it, or a whole host of other problems.

Oh, and the other side of that coin. When the player is at the height of their power, sure, an interesting turn of events might be to let them experience a fall. Though some games might make this voluntary, meaning the player can not only know the fall is coming, but welcome it. The problem starts when the game doesn't let you know, doesn't make it obvious, and when it does come, there is absolutely no way to avoid it. No leveling, no different tactics, no choice. Might be an aspect of a game with linear play, but that doesn't mean it isn't annoying.

Archived