Home

The official LFN Republic Guild: The Walking Carpets

Lynk Former

The Walking Carpets @ Star Wars: The Old Republic

I know we voted on "Order of the Walking Carpet" in our poll, but (and we feel like idiots about not noticing it before lol) there is a 24 character limit on the naming of guilds... so unless we wanted to be called "Order of the walking Car" which is even more bizarre a name, I thought "The Walking Carpets" would be the best choice.

We've already got at least 4 staff members who have pre-orders... they haven't joined yet since I literally created this guild less than an hour ago, but with those 4 staff members, The Walking Carpets will definitely make it in to the final game.

As for our Empire Guild, Astor will post a thread soon about choosing a name for that guild and we'll get that started asap so that folks who are going to be started on the Empire's side can join that guild... hopefully folks with pre-orders of the game so we can ensure that both of our LFN Guilds make it through.

Hey guys,

I'd love to join a LF guild with adults (I don't have the desire to play with people called VaderBozz1996) but does anyone know about the server-localisation yet? Can I (as an European) join American servers? I got my pre-order code here too, so I can sign up as well...

Hey guys,

I'd love to join a LF guild with adults (I don't have the desire to play with people called VaderBozz1996) but does anyone know about the server-localisation yet? Can I (as an European) join American servers? I got my pre-order code here too, so I can sign up as well...

If you have a copy of The Old Republic, you can join any server you want. I'm Australian (Australian's aren't part of the launch of TOR) and I'm freely able to play on any of the US or EU servers.

So that means, when we find out exactly which server the LF guild will be on, you'll be able to play on that server with the rest of us with no problems.

You guys are absolutely correct :)

I'm in the menu right now and I can in fact join US servers.

However...I see you are aligned to the Republic...so I'll be joining the Imperial version led by Astor...

How bad is the lag on US servers though? I live in a traditional Dutch village (dykes, grass, windmills) and our internet works by a gerbil in a treadmill...

@ Mav: I'm thinking they were all central judging from the time zones they displayed on the server menu.

@ Ztalker: The lag isn't bad at all if you have a decent connection.

If you really want to test it out though, go to this site: http://speedtest.net/

Now, see the world map at the bottom? Drag the green box on the map over to the west coast of the US and find Los Angeles or San Francisco on the west coast and test your connection speed to a server located in one of those cities.

The thing you're looking for is how long it took to ping the server. My test with LA got me 172ms which is pretty good for someone in Australia..

@ Mav: I'm thinking they were all central judging from the time zones they displayed on the server menu.

@ Ztalker: The lag isn't bad at all if you have a decent connection.

If you really want to test it out though, go to this site: http://speedtest.net/

Now, see the world map at the bottom? Drag the green box on the map over to the west coast of the US and find Los Angeles or San Francisco on the west coast and test your connection speed to a server located in one of those cities.

The thing you're looking for is how long it took to ping the server. My test with LA got me 172ms which is pretty good for someone in Australia..

Thanks for the heads up!

I checkek my ping and stuff, and these are the results..

PING: 228 ms

DL sp: 3.95 mb/s

UL sp: 0.64 mb/s

It's a bit higher then yours...is it unplayable you think?

For just questing and PVE that'd be fine, my internet is somewhat flaky so at times I was playing with near 500ms ping and it was... manageable. PVP I can't comment on since I didn't really try any, nor do I have the desire to XD.

@ Ztalker: I've been playing on the beta servers with a ping of around 282ms so you'll be just fine.

But yeah, as Mav said, for the PvE (Player vs Environment) server that the LF guilds will be one, these levels of ping are fine. PvP (Player vs Player) servers on the other hand, you'd get your butt handed to you since you're facing off against other real life people with pings that are most likely under 50ms so they'd end up having around 200ms head start on you for every attack and move. Doesn't sound like much but it can be brutal.

Luckily, no one has to play PvP if they don't want to so it's no problem.

Archived